ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 24th, 2011, 07:39 PM   #1
sendler
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250, 2011 Honda CBR250R, 07 Ninja 650

DIY Rack

Thought you might like to see this as it could be done with a Ninja as well.
Finished my DIY rack today. I cut a polyethelene cutting board to size that I bought at walmart for $13. 18 inches long, 13.5 wide in the front, 12 inches wide in the rear so it follows the lines of the bike. I ordered some M5x.8 stainless threaded rod and some 1" aluminum angle stock from McMaster-Carr. I bent the rod into a hook around two bolts for each side of the front. It hooks right under the front edge of the rear seat near the mounting point so it is very strong. The rear is attached to the excellent hand rails with double nylon ties. Honda has made these hand rails a trade mark styling cue across all of their model line and they did a great job by designing them to level out perfectly with the rear seat and the top of the tail light. Some cut to length, adjustable, 3/8" shock cord and hooks, also from McMaster-Carr finish it off. Pictured with two 25 pound bags of kitty litter to show the possibilities for serious hauling. This rack will now carry a 12" X 18" waterproof cloth duffel bag for all of my daily stuff and can easily handle a 40 liter SealLine waterproof bag for trips out of town. I hope it will be slightly more aero than the trunk bag I have been using which hangs out to the sides when the sides are zipped out. Now the load will be oriented length wise right behind me when I have large items such as the five pairs of shirts and pants rolled up on hangers when I bring my uniforms once a week.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Rack comp.jpg (78.7 KB, 19 views)
File Type: jpg rack loaded comp.jpg (78.9 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg Rack hooks comp.jpg (79.2 KB, 9 views)
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2011, 08:44 PM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
for a second i thought we were still on CCs weather girl thread... but anyway, nice rack... but whats that hideous bike it's attached to?!

seriously though, nice rack

Old July 24th, 2011, 10:39 PM   #3
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
+1 Nice rack.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 28th, 2011, 07:34 AM   #4
sendler
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250, 2011 Honda CBR250R, 07 Ninja 650

half full

Here is a shot of my rack with a $15 waterproof duffle bag carrying 5 uniform shirts and pants on hangers, my laptop, and a 24oz shaker mug. Good capacity and still very aero which is important on a 22hp. I could easily carry twice as much if I ever wanted to tour.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg half rack.jpg (79.8 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpg half rack 2.jpg (79.8 KB, 4 views)
sendler is offline   Reply With Quote