ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Old April 19th, 2015, 06:31 PM   #1
JasonJ
ninjette.org member

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 1980 Yamaha XS850G Midnight Special, 32k Miles; 2000 EX250F, <5000 Orig Miles

Need a new helmet, any opinions/suggestions?

I'm in the market for a new modular/flip up helmet. I'd prefer to buy in what is ostensibly the budget range of helmets. So with a self-imposed budget of $100, what are some recommendations?

Right now I'm using a Gmax G14 snowmobile helmet, just no heater wire connected to the shield... plus its a full size too large, so I wear a hoodie with the hood up to pad my skull. Not cool. My only other helmet is a 3/4 open face, but I like my chin and face, and dont like bugs and wind.

Heck, I'd even buy someones used helmet off the forum, anything is better than what I have.
JasonJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2015, 06:34 PM   #2
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
For your budget, look at the Bilt line at CycleGear.

I bought a Bilt modular for $120 last year. They're coming up in the world.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2015, 07:00 PM   #3
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
LS2 FF386

Comfortable (for me), DOT and ECE rated (4 out of 5 stars on the SHARP rating), and close-ish to your budget.

Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2015, 07:44 PM   #4
verboten1
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
I just bought a Nolan N104, I know it's not fitting your budget, but the extra cash is worth it for features, and how quiet it is. It's quieter than my $100 full face helmets.

It's something to think about. I've heard that the less expensive modulars are quite loud.
I'll never buy another cheap helmet again, and up til now that's all I've ever bought!

Just my opinion, and we know how those are

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2015, 09:18 PM   #5
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Fulmer helmets is all I have, and I have a bunches, including 2 M1

http://www.fulmerhelmets.com/helmets/modular/m1/

http://www.fulmerhelmets.com/helmets/modular/m2b/

Another excellent resource for reviews is WebBikeWorld

http://www.webbikeworld.com/motorcyc...le-helmets.htm

Hope this helps

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 19th, 2015, 10:51 PM   #6
Urban Ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Kate

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300, Yamaha TTR 125

Keep in mind that when you take a helmet that's already structurally weak, which most $100 helmets are, and then mess more with the infrastructure by making it modular, the safety of the helmet becomes very questionable. DOT testing can't test every possible situation.

But if you decide to go that route, at least try to find one that has a shell that's composed of something other than plastic, or "polycarbonate"

Old April 20th, 2015, 05:37 AM   #7
JasonJ
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 1980 Yamaha XS850G Midnight Special, 32k Miles; 2000 EX250F, <5000 Orig Miles

All good replies guys. I appreciate the input.

I have researched ad nauseam budget helmets in general, all modulars, pros, cons, etc. Let me put it this way, I research new purchases so thoroughly, when I went to buy a new hdtv, so much time went by that when I went to buy it was a year later and all new models were released. lol.

I understand the failure points of budget helmets in general, and specific failure concerns over modulars (I'd love to see REAL studies and statistics concerning real-world accidents and failures).

The way I see it, a flip up/modular helmet is not going to be much, if any worse than my 3/4 open face, and certainly safer than the modular I have now that is too large.

I've heard and read about the iffy quality of Bilt, and how it is presumably getting better all the time... and I'll take a look at the other models and brands mentioned here. I'd love to be able to afford a Shuberth or similar.. but alas...

Thanks again. And if anyone else has any advice or opinions, by all means, please post.

Old April 20th, 2015, 09:51 AM   #8
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Name: Lee

Motorcycle(s): Rebel 250s, Ninja 250s VN750s (currently nine total)

I've bought two new full face helmets on ebay and neither one cost over $60 shipped. The first was an M2R and Snell approved The other is AFX and ECE approved. Pretty sure all AFX helmets are ECE approved.

Those who maintain that all inexpensive helmets aren't as crash worthy as more expensive ones are misinformed, and tend to pass on that misinformation as truth.

Old April 20th, 2015, 09:58 AM   #9
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Take a look at leftover Scorpion EXO-410s. Solid, good-quality helmet, simple, SNELL rated. You can find last year's graphics for well under $100.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2015, 05:14 PM   #10
Urban Ninja
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
I've bought two new full face helmets on ebay and neither one cost over $60 shipped. The first was an M2R and Snell approved The other is AFX and ECE approved. Pretty sure all AFX helmets are ECE approved.

Those who maintain that all inexpensive helmets aren't as crash worthy as more expensive ones are misinformed, and tend to pass on that misinformation as truth.
Lee,

You could not possibly believe that a $60 eBay helmet is of the same quality as a helmet made by a manufacturer with years of research, development and experience under their belt. Yes, you can find low cost "crash-worthy" helmets - HJC, Scorpion, Bell and other accredited manufacturers make plenty. But how can the $60 you paid possibly be enough to cover the cost of materials of this "quality" helmet as well as marketing costs, testing costs, licensing fees, eBay fees, shipping fees, etc. and still make the seller money? The true cost of such product is probably under $10 (if that) from a mass producer overseas. You may need to re-evaluate the worth of your head my friend as I think you are the one misinformed.

Old April 20th, 2015, 05:47 PM   #11
JasonJ
ninjette.org member

Hmm. well, yeah,.. at $60 that's a great price for a budget helmet. But that is a good point about the actual build quality and how it will hold up in an impact.

If we knew for sure that those ebay helmets were good, and not suspect...

I'm still about as lost in choosing a new helmet as I was before. More research is warranted.

Old April 20th, 2015, 05:51 PM   #12
Baron
Urban Legend

Name: Baron

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250R SE - Circe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban Ninja View Post
Lee,

You could not possibly believe that a $60 eBay helmet is of the same quality as a helmet made by a manufacturer with years of research, development and experience under their belt. Yes, you can find low cost "crash-worthy" helmets - HJC, Scorpion, Bell and other accredited manufacturers make plenty. But how can the $60 you paid possibly be enough to cover the cost of materials of this "quality" helmet as well as marketing costs, testing costs, licensing fees, eBay fees, shipping fees, etc. and still make the seller money? The true cost of such product is probably under $10 (if that) from a mass producer overseas. You may need to re-evaluate the worth of your head my friend as I think you are the one misinformed.

I'd say look for closeout deals and sales on websites, you might not get a flashy one but can probably get something that is of good quality and not that expensive.

Last I checked HJC CL-Max 2 Zader Helmet was on sale for $127.99.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/h...2-zader-helmet

Look around I am sure you'll find something good.

Old April 20th, 2015, 07:22 PM   #13
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
Quote:
Keep in mind that when you take a helmet that's already structurally weak, which most $100 helmets are, and then mess more with the infrastructure by making it modular, the safety of the helmet becomes very questionable. DOT testing can't test every possible situation.

But if you decide to go that route, at least try to find one that has a shell that's composed of something other than plastic, or "polycarbonate"
A DOT/ECE rating is a DOT/ECE rating, $100 or $500, Shoei or Bilt. Some helmets go cheap because they're old and will need to be replaced in less than 5 years due to age, but you can usually check the date it was made. Cheap modular helmets, yeah that's iffy, but a cheap full-faced helmet? You're fine.

Also, I don't think you realize this, but polycarbonate is some damn strong stuff. Just because it's a plastic doesn't mean it isn't the best material for the job. ABS is too brittle, CF has crappy tolerances. Are you against EPS liners because it's actually just styrofoam? Because I'll bet that whatever helmet you have, it's made of styrofoam.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 20th, 2015, 07:28 PM   #14
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
Quote:
Lee,

i bought both of my Shark helmets brand new off eBay. The RSX was my favorite, but it had to do its job. there are deals on eBay, usually close outs from old inventory.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2015, 12:41 AM   #15
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Lee,

I believe my head is just as safe in an inexpensive Snell or ECE approved helmet as yours is in a Snell or ECE approved helmet that costs hundreds, or thousands more. As others have posted, a certification is a certification, regardless of what the helmet costs or who made it. I stand by what I wrote, and do not believe I am misinformed.

The following provides independent verification which supports what I wrote. Snell certification/rating requires that an identical model of any helmet submitted for certification be tested and approved before the certification will be issued. ECE follows a similar procedure. To be able to place a DOT sticker on a helmet, the manufacturer simply attests that their helmet meets the standard. No testing is required. DOT tests a relatively small number of helmets each year and usually finds a number of helmets that do not meet their standards. For that reason, I do not buy helmets with just a DOT sticker. A DOT helmet may provide just as much protection as one certified to meet Snell or ECE standards, but until the manufacturer chooses to have their helmets tested, which is expensive, that remains an unknown. More than likely, the significant costs involved with getting such certification discourage smaller volume manufacturers from doing so. It's just not worth it to them. Here's a video explaining the details of the various certifications: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kmj6bSOq66Y

The helmets I bought were on sale and probably closeouts or discontinued models. It's been a while and I don't recall the details, which really aren't important. I contacted the sellers before buying my helmets and verified both were manufactured less than a year before I bought them. That was my main concern as I didn't want old helmets with deteriorating foam. Even if the helmets were a year older, they would still have been excellent buys as they could be replaced within 2-3 years and cost so little.

You ask how the manufacturer can sell the helmets I bought so cheaply. First, they sell many helmets identical to mine for much more than I paid. When a manufacturer discontinues a helmet model, the seller cannot expect to continue to sell the discontinued model for what they were charging. That would be like selling a left over, new, 2014 model bike for the same price as the 2015 model. To make room for new inventory and clear out the discontinued helmets, they often discount the price. This applies to typically high cost helmets as well as less expensive ones. See the links below for verification of this statement. So let me turn your question around and ask how some manufacturers charge so much for their helmets which meet certain standards while others make helmets for much less and meet the same standards.

Here are some inexpensive helmets that meet Snell, ECE, or both standards.

http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Hel...on-Snow-Helmet

http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Hel...XO-R410-Helmet

http://www.jafrum.com/Shop-By-Brand/...-Helmet-Solids

http://www.amazon.com/AFX-FX-95-Moto...orcycle+helmet

And here are some that cost a lot more:

http://www.cyclegear.com/ARAI-RX-Q-S...orcycle-Helmet

http://www.cyclegear.com/ARAI-Corsai...orcycle-Helmet

I love this one at $4,000. Since you appear to subscribe to the "more expensive means better protection" school of thought, are you going to go out and buy one? Yes, you can find the same helmet for around $400 less, but then it wouldn't be as expensive and therefore not as good, right?

http://www.leatherup.com/p/Arai-Full...et/272633.html

And here are some typically high cost helmets that are selling for less than they normally do:

http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Hel...Flag-UK-Helmet

http://www.cyclegear.com/ARAI-Corsai...orcycle-Helmet

http://www.cyclegear.com/SHOEI-Women...orcycle-Helmet

http://www.jafrum.com/Motorcycle-Hel...ll-Face-Helmet

Couldn't resist linking this Arai face shield as it costs almost three times more than my first Snell approved helmet. http://www.ebay.com/itm/L-Type-Visor...17eb1c&vxp=mtr Feel free to explain why this shield is so expensive when shields by other manufacturers that are made of identical material and similar in size, cost a fraction of what this one does.

I look forward to your well researched, documented, response.

Ps: You might want to reconsider putting faceslap/ at the end of your post(s). It can reflect poorly on your statements if they aren't supported by facts.

Old April 21st, 2015, 04:58 AM   #16
Z1R rider

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
A bit of a long read, but worth your time. Was published in Motorcyclist, but caused such an uproar with some of their advertisers that they took it down off of their site.

http://www.westcoastweasels.com/arch...he_Lid_Off.pdf
Z1R rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2015, 07:07 AM   #17
adouglas
Cat herder

One should avoid making blanket statements. There are good, inexpensive helmets out there. There are also many certified helmets out there that aren't that good. And a lot of utter crap. Do you get what you pay for? IMHO, up to a certain point, yes. Above that it's all gravy... nicer fit and finish, better features, better optics, etc.

We sometimes hear that ECE standards are superior. Here's a video done by British publication MCN, in which they ran inexpensive ECE-certified helmets through Snell tests. A comparison of ECE vs. Snell, not cheap vs. expensive, but you can clearly see that helmets are not all alike. Draw your own conclusions about ECE vs. Snell. You can find heated arguments on all sides. Lesson from this video: ECE certification does not automatically mean superior protection. All it means is that the helmet passed certain tests... subject it to more than that and maybe it'll work, maybe not.

FYI, one of my helmets is ECE certified and very high quality... doesn't meet Snell because it's got an internal sun visor and Snell rules those out. The other one is Snell.

Link to original page on YouTube.

And this video is always fun... an ECE-certified helmet vs. a no-name Chinese one. Lesson here is don't trust helmets that are not from a known brand. Bottom line: That $89, leftover, Snell-certified Scorpion EXO-410 will protect you well. The $60 ebay helmet from a brand you've never heard of... yeah, good luck with that.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 21st, 2015, 07:18 AM   #18
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Z1R rider View Post
A bit of a long read, but worth your time. Was published in Motorcyclist, but caused such an uproar with some of their advertisers that they took it down off of their site.

http://www.westcoastweasels.com/arch...he_Lid_Off.pdf
Good, informative, read. What I gathered from that article is the best thing that a helmet can do is protect your brain from injury, which all of us already know. The surprising thing was that helmets made to meet higher impact standards may result in greater brain injury due to, for lack of a better word, their "stiffness". That is something I hadn't considered before, but it certainly makes sense. I know there are die hard supporters on all sides of these issues, but when folks that ought to know say that those advocating for stiff helmets are out of touch with reality, it gives you pause.

Old April 21st, 2015, 09:53 AM   #19
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Poul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Triumph Legend "Arwen", 2006 Ninja 650 "Matsuo Hotaru". 2010 Ninja 250 "Firefly" - sold.

I switched all my helmets to Scorpions due to no-fogging. Exo 500 for solid and 900 for modular. Couldn't be happier.
Posted via Mobile Device
liberpolly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2015, 11:27 AM   #20
Qomomoko
ninjette.org guru

Name: Luis

Motorcycle(s): 1995 Ninja 250, 2005 R6, 2002 Ducati Monster S4

i heard great things of one called Schuberth...

I have and like Suomys, have a joe rocket, and mx helmet from Shoei..
Qomomoko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2015, 11:37 AM   #21
crazymadbastard
I'm crazy,your excuse is?

Name: Winston

Motorcycle(s): 250 2007 ninja

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Take a look at leftover Scorpion EXO-410s. Solid, good-quality helmet, simple, SNELL rated. You can find last year's graphics for well under $100.
If it's solid, how is one to place their head in?

You can find Bell Vortex at motorcyclecloseouts for $89.

Old April 21st, 2015, 11:44 AM   #22
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

I have an HJC CL-16 or 15 (can't remember) that is Snell 2010 rated. Make sure you know the helmet meets the 2010 Snell rating. Revzill usually lists this info.

I've also heard the Icon Armada helmets meet both Snell and ECE. I'll probably get one of those when my current one gets too old.

Old April 21st, 2015, 11:51 AM   #23
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by crazymadbastard View Post
If it's solid, how is one to place their head in?

Old April 21st, 2015, 11:58 AM   #24
Urban Ninja
ninjette.org member

Everyone is going to have a difference of opinion on safety certifications and which are the superior but as I originally stated, DOT or Snell or ECE cannot possibly test for all potential safety hazards.

My opinion is not based on more expensive = better, and I do think that there are low price point helmets that are really solid. Like the HJC FG-17 for example. My opinion is based on first hand experience with a lot of different helmets. I've worked in the motorcycle industry for a long time (motorcycle apparel industry to be exact) and unfortunately deal with customers who've been involved in motorcycle accidents on regular basis. I can't even count how many times I've seen a cheaply made helmet fail on impact in a crash. About four months ago, I had a 19 year old kid come in to my store to buy a pair of gloves. He had just gotten his first motorcycle and could not be more excited to start riding. Despite my plea to get him in a decent helmet, he was convinced that the $50 KBC helmet (DOT & Snell approved btw) he bought on eBay would work just fine. Long story short, he had a medium speed wreck, slid and hit the edge of an electrical box with his head. Not only did the helmet shell crack but it actually penetrated the impact absorbing foam too. His head injury was so severe that he's been on life support ever since.

Even though this is an extreme case, I have numerous other examples with a similar outcome. I completely understand that not everyone could afford a $500 Shoei or Arai and always work to find the best possible option for my customers within their price range but I stand firm on my opinion that it is not possible to get a decent helmet for $60. I really hope you never have the opportunity to test your helmet in a real life situation Lee.

Old April 21st, 2015, 12:04 PM   #25
Urban Ninja
ninjette.org member

Great videos adouglas! I actually share these with my customers all the time

Old April 21st, 2015, 12:15 PM   #26
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
The most important idea to remember, try on helmets to find one that fits your head.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2015, 12:56 PM   #27
adouglas
Cat herder

Fit, yes.

THE MOST IMPORTANT thing. More important than brand or price.

There is no substitute for trying on a bunch of helmets. This is one reason why I go to the NY International Motorcycle Show on a regular basis, and take notes.

I've discovered that my head is precisely Shoei-shaped. That's a good thing.

Old April 21st, 2015, 12:56 PM   #28
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Bingo! I rather have a non snell helmet that fits my head perfectly with no hot spots vs a highly rated helmet that fits my head improperly.

Old April 21st, 2015, 07:11 PM   #29
Z1R rider

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
I can't for the life me understand why we don't have the G-force from tests printed on or inside the helmets someplace! When the Snell rating was formulated in 1956 (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Snell_Memorial_Foundation) it was in response to race car injuries, which is why, I'm sure, that they tested the "double hit", as when in a car you're belted in next to a roll bar that you could easily hit in the same place more than once in an accident. On a bike it's not very likely you'll hit same spot on you're helmet.
Z1R rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2015, 08:56 PM   #30
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

And riders don't have seat belts to restrict body movement and thereby minimize the forces their bodies are subject to.

Old April 22nd, 2015, 06:42 AM   #31
JasonJ
ninjette.org member

Wow.. hot topic huh guys? Did.. not.. realize..

That article from Motorcyclistonline.. um, wow. I can see why that ruffled a lot of feathers. I also understand their test results.. rather enlightening for those that feel a $600+ helmet is the ONLY way to go.

I ended up hitting up the local bike shop last night (they're actually a really HUGE local Honda dealer). I wanted to just try on a few brands for sizing... as I had my eye on a Bell Revolver EVO for about $80 online..

After much fussing with how a Med on one brands sizing chart is really a Large on my head, but one brands Large is another brands XL.. I went with a Gmax G54s in Pearl White.

It's modular, like I wanted. All metal clasps, I counted 16 vents, excellent padding, great fit, and it has an LED light on the back of the helmet as well as a flip down sun shield on the inside that looks like that of a fighter jet pilots helmet. That's cool.

I spent more than I wanted to, a lot more actually. MSRP is $179.99, I see online prices range from $120-$179(full msrp). I paid $159.95. Ouch for me... can I afford it, of course.. did I WANT to spend that much, nope. But now I have a helmet with features I want/need that fits properly and is safe.

So I guess we'll run with this one and maybe down the road I'll try one of the more budget helmets closer to what I originally wanted to spend. Could have been worse, I could have gotten a $700 Schuberth.

Old April 22nd, 2015, 07:02 AM   #32
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

@JasonJ

I have this helmet but in full face, no modular. I modified the LEDs to be blue. You can also integrate your taillights to your helmet, they make a module for this. Over all the helmet is really nice. Only big complaint I have is its a bit loud so you might want to pick up some ear plugs, it also fogs when you sit for a while with the shield down but that isn't a big enough issue to care about to me.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 22nd, 2015, 08:15 AM   #33
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
What's an inexpensive (read: under $100) helmet (either full face or modular that is DOT approved? I need one for the little lady while riding 2up. It will only be used once a month at most (under 10x a year) when we go 2up on short local rides.

Old April 22nd, 2015, 10:29 AM   #34
JasonJ
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
What's an inexpensive (read: under $100) helmet (either full face or modular that is DOT approved? I need one for the little lady while riding 2up. It will only be used once a month at most (under 10x a year) when we go 2up on short local rides.
Cadd, I was looking at the Bell Revolver EVO line .. i think it was at motorcyclesuperstore.com or something.. if you Google it, you'll find it.

Have you checked out your local bike shop? Mine didnt have anything in that price bracket, but yours might.

Old April 24th, 2015, 12:34 AM   #35
FBR_BDavis
ninjette.org member

Name: Butch

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Fit is the most important aspect of a helmet.. Most people will find that a particular manufacturer's design fits their head better than another.. For me, Shoei helmets fit me best.. I can wear a Scorpion (especially thanks to their air inflation system) and Bell as well.. Arai helmets don't fit me well, and I never really liked how close to my face the shield seemed to sit..

Price is important, but a helmet is the one single item that you should NEVER skimp on.. Spend as much as you can to get the best protection you can.. That doesn't mean break the bank, but it does mean that if you can swing an extra $20 to get a helmet that fits perfectly over one that is a tick loose, you spend that $20 knowing that you've got the best protection you could afford..

The Scorpion EXO-410 is a great helmet within your range, but it's viability depends on how well the Scorpion brand fits.. That's the direction I would point you in.. Best bang for the buck..
FBR_BDavis is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 13th, 2015, 05:12 PM   #36
flitecontrol
ninjette.org guru

And for further proof that quality helmets can be inexpensive: http://www.outwestmotorcycles.com/ca...roducts_id=468

In this case the helmet is DOT/Snell approved.

Old May 14th, 2015, 04:56 AM   #37
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by flitecontrol View Post
And for further proof that quality helmets can be inexpensive: http://www.outwestmotorcycles.com/ca...roducts_id=468

In this case the helmet is DOT/Snell approved.
Never heard of that manufacturer but they do (or at least did) in fact make Snell-certified helmets. This particular one is not on the current Snell list and it's a closeout, so it's probably quite old (since the official Snell listings cover helmets going back to M2005).

Snell does not show any THH helmets meeting the M2015 standard, but that might just be because they haven't gotten around to testing them yet.

Best way to know if a helmet is in fact certified is to look it up on the Snell website:

http://www.smf.org/cert