Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old July 2nd, 2011, 10:20 AM   #1
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

Exclamation Motorcycles Banned From Public Roads

...Or at least this angry cager wishes.

Quickly everyone, lets spread the word. Scrap your bike and get a tahoe now. Sure motorcycle gear, part, dealers and vehicle makers would go out of business or see major sales drops which would surly be beneficial, plus we'd save the environment and lives by cleaning the roads of one non-catalytic converter death trap at a time.

So lets take action people! As the author says, I'M NOT A MOTORCYCLIST. IT'S TIME TO TAKE A STAND!!!

...lol
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 10:52 AM   #2
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
love the comments "It's time to ban four wheeled vehicles"

Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:00 AM   #3
Live2ride
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cody

Motorcycle(s): 06 yzf r6r previously: 09 ninja 250r, black 07 zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by TXJ View Post
...Or at least this angry cager wishes.

Quickly everyone, lets spread the word. Scrap your bike and get a tahoe now. Sure motorcycle gear, part, dealers and vehicle makers would go out of business or see major sales drops which would surly be beneficial, plus we'd save the environment and lives by cleaning the roads of one non-catalytic converter death trap at a time.

So lets take action people! As the author says, I'M NOT A MOTORCYCLIST. IT'S TIME TO TAKE A STAND!!!

...lol
I have both .

Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:03 AM   #4
Cuongism

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

http://www-fars.nhtsa.dot.gov/People...llVictims.aspx

In 2009, there were 4462 motorcycle fatalities vs 4092 pedestrian fatalities. They should ban walking!
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 11:32 AM   #5
Felipe the Ant
ninjette.org sage

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE GREEN!

This is the stupidest thing I have ever read half of.

Did you know your chances of dying increase exponentially just by leaving your house? It's a dangerous world out there! Let's make it illegal for everyone to leave their house. I don't leave my house, but I can assure you that it's a bad idea and should be outlawed. Food too, did you know all the fat people in the world with all these medical problems got fat by eating food?

I'm gonna go make a sandwich
Felipe the Ant is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 12:03 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post

In 2009, there were 4462 motorcycle fatalities vs 4092 pedestrian fatalities. They should ban walking!
wow... that really says a lot. G.D. inattentive cagers!
it makes me wish we had more of a tiered licensing setup (not just what you know how to drive with A,B,C,M, but how well you drive them) so better skilled drivers had to pay less for things like registration and insurance.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:20 PM   #7
n4mwd

Name: D

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Ninja 250R, 2007 EFI Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post

Interesting web site. I thought it was very interesting that bikers who wear helmets are more likely to die in a crash than those without. My MSF instructor claimed the opposite. Somebody tell me I read that wrong.
n4mwd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:47 PM   #8
Cuongism

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Interesting web site. I thought it was very interesting that bikers who wear helmets are more likely to die in a crash than those without. My MSF instructor claimed the opposite. Somebody tell me I read that wrong.
The stats just shows fatality totals so it can be misconstrued. For example, there might be 10000 helmeted crashes with 2400 fatalities vs 4000 unhelmeted crashes with 1900 fatalities. I'm sure the real stats can be looked up, but busy at the moment. Maybe someone else can do the legwork

Also, it's like sayin motorcycles are safer since there were only 5000 fatalities vs automobile's 30000 fatalities. You need a frame of reference to make it more accurate (ie fatalities out of every 100,000 like in the article).

Old July 2nd, 2011, 01:47 PM   #9
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

You read it wrong.

4,158 fatalities. 2,311 wearing helmets. 1,742 not wearing helmets. So of the fatalities, more were in fact wearing helmets.

But...

Without knowing how many motorcyclists wear helmets compared to those that don't, one can't infer that wearing helmets is less safe. In 2009, many more motorcyclists wore helmets than did not.

More detailed studies like this one go further in calculating lives saved if those who weren't wearing helmets chose to.

But for some scary stats, it looks like helmet use is going in the wrong direction. with a large drop in 2010 from 2009. (link to study).

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 02:07 PM   #10
n4mwd

Yeah, I figured something wasn't adding up. I'm thinking that even a simple high side slide can be fatal if the guy's head whacks a curb or some other stationary object. Not so fatal when wearing a helmet.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 02:18 PM   #11
ducducgooseit

Name: ...

Motorcycle(s): ...

"There are three kinds of lies: lies, damned lies, and statistics." -Sir Charles Dilke, 2nd Baronet
ducducgooseit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 02:32 PM   #12
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
/rant

Motorcycles??? Are you kidding me, MOTORCYCLES in your eyes are the biggest threat in America!? Out of every possible threat to human lives, this ***hole is going after ****ing motorcycles!? What about Meth, Heroine, Crack, Poverty, Alcoholism, Child Molesters, Sex Offenders, Rape, Starvation, Homelessness, Mental Illness, Childhood Obesity, Autism, Felons, Thieves, Murderers, Drug Cartels. Nope, none of these even compares to the utter mayhem and destruction that motorcycles bring about.

You want to help this country? Go volunteer to help people affected by the above issues instead of sitting behind your computer and blogging about how dangerous a motorcycle is.

Get your goddamn priorities straight.

/end rant
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 02:56 PM   #13
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
/rant

Motorcycles??? Are you kidding me, MOTORCYCLES in your eyes are the biggest threat in America!? Out of every possible threat to human lives, this ***hole is going after ****ing motorcycles!? What about Meth, Heroine, Crack, Poverty, Alcoholism, Child Molesters, Sex Offenders, Rape, Starvation, Homelessness, Mental Illness, Childhood Obesity, Autism, Felons, Thieves, Murderers, Drug Cartels. Nope, none of these even compares to the utter mayhem and destruction that motorcycles bring about.

You want to help this country? Go volunteer to help people affected by the above issues instead of sitting behind your computer and blogging about how dangerous a motorcycle is.

Get your goddamn priorities straight.

/end rant
Hey now. You're missing the big picture. Obesity, smoking, alcohol etc. have nothing to do with anything. It's those damn motorcycles. If they weren't on the road cages would have nothing to run over and the alarming fatality rate would vanish. The world would be saved and everyone can go back to their commuting whilst talking, texting, putting on makeup and finishing up their mcgriddles without having to worry about those damn deathtrap motorcycles.

Seriously though. I just thought this article was a laugh. Reminded me of someone I work with. She HATES motorcycles. For no reason. Probably once a week she tells me I'm going to die because they're dangerous. Whenever there is a motorcycle accident in the news, she emails it to me. People like that crack me up.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 03:01 PM   #14
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Hey now. You're missing the big picture. Obesity, smoking, alcohol etc. have nothing to do with anything. It's those damn motorcycles. If they weren't on the road cages would have nothing to run over and the alarming fatality rate would vanish. The world would be saved and everyone can go back to their commuting whilst talking, texting, putting on makeup and finishing up their mcgriddles without having to worry about those damn deathtrap motorcycles.

Seriously though. I just thought this article was a laugh. Reminded me of someone I work with. She HATES motorcycles. For no reason. Probably once a week she tells me I'm going to die because they're dangerous. Whenever there is a motorcycle accident in the news, she emails it to me. People like that crack me up.
Hey, I didn't say anything about smoking. In fact I support smoking and have written papers and given speeches about the benefits of smoking in my classes.
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 03:19 PM   #15
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Hey, I didn't say anything about smoking. In fact I support smoking and have written papers and given speeches about the benefits of smoking in my classes.
Another benefit you could add to what I'm sure is already a impressive write up: Whenever a cager throws a butt out the window and it burns a hole in my riding pants or jacket, I have to buy a new one or get burn ointment. It supports the economy and could potentially rid the road of one frustrated motorcyclist which is like one step forward in the right direction.

Old July 2nd, 2011, 03:35 PM   #16
rusninja
Ninjette wanabe :D

Name: Ruslan

Motorcycle(s): white 300 :D

Only flawed drivers if there was no cars there would be low vehicle to vehicle fatalities. Its the people who dont stop at stop signs, playing with somthing while driving , not paying attention to their surroundings , etc. And a motorcycle isnt a deathtrap a real death trap is a car on fire and you cant get out. :S

Old July 2nd, 2011, 05:09 PM   #17
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
People like that crack me up.

They drive me crazy! Open your friggin mind, people! Or at least don't be annoying if you don't!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2011, 06:41 PM   #18
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
They drive me crazy! Open your friggin mind, people! Or at least don't be annoying if you don't!
Don't get me wrong, it can be infuriating. But being older I've learned it's easier to laugh at it and let them go on their merry way, rather then waste energy trying to explain something to someone when you know it will just go in one ear and out the other. Plus I'm old and got my blood pressure to think about.

Old July 3rd, 2011, 04:17 AM   #19
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
LOL! I hear you. I try to handle it similarly, but then I go home and my hubby and I rag them for hours. hehe!

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2011, 07:41 AM   #20
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

This guy obviously believes in the "Nanny State" where people who have no direct experience with an activity think they have the right to ban it for the "public good". These people often lose sight of the fact that doing so is Un-American and an insult to the principals this country was built on.
It's unfortunate that ignorant fools like this are given public forums in increasing numbers. Many people fought and died to make freedom of the press a reality, but if our forefather's efforts were directed at preventing freedoms, as much of this bozo's time seems to be, we would still be a British Colony. With the help of morons like this undermining American values, we're well on the way to becoming a Chinese one.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2011, 08:49 AM   #21
Zombiphone
CVMA/AFM #72

Name: Tiffani

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r (Racebike), 2015 FZ-07(Tourer), 2001 KX65(LOL bike)

Quote:
Originally Posted by some guy from the comments
"Last I checked we were not running out of humans on Earth."
This guy here is my hero.

Successful troll is successful.
Zombiphone is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 3rd, 2011, 05:40 PM   #22
Cuongism

"My car has 15 airbags (16 if my mother-in-law is in the car), yet I must wear my seat belt."

The comments are amazing!

Old July 3rd, 2011, 06:11 PM   #23
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Felipe the Ant View Post
This is the stupidest thing I have ever read half of.

Did you know your chances of dying increase exponentially just by leaving your house? It's a dangerous world out there! Let's make it illegal for everyone to leave their house. I don't leave my house, but I can assure you that it's a bad idea and should be outlawed. Food too, did you know all the fat people in the world with all these medical problems got fat by eating food?

I'm gonna go make a sandwich
There used to be a town in NH that banned motorcycles(years ago). It might have been a park, or a road but a town sounds better. I believe it was in Windham, NH.

I think prohibiting all non-electric vehicles in all towns and cities is a great idea. Trucks should have their own highways so cars and bikes wouldn't have to be on the same roads as those monsters. Trains should be fast, quiet, and on time. Airplanes should raise their prices to get rid of the riff-raff. All government employees should have to take public transportation. Highways should have a motorcycle only lane. Last, but not least, I should be proclaimed to be King, since I have such great ideas.

Old July 4th, 2011, 05:12 AM   #24
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I think prohibiting all non-electric vehicles in all towns and cities is a great idea. Trucks should have their own highways so cars and bikes wouldn't have to be on the same roads as those monsters. Trains should be fast, quiet, and on time. Airplanes should raise their prices to get rid of the riff-raff. All government employees should have to take public transportation. Highways should have a motorcycle only lane. Last, but not least, I should be proclaimed to be King, since I have such great ideas.
Hmmm, I think I'll vote for you. I especially like the motorcycle lane idea. That would be especially good if it had no speed limit. A guy could get to work in no time with a ZX-10R and a motorcycle express lane.

Old July 4th, 2011, 07:26 AM   #25
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Hmmm, I think I'll vote for you. I especially like the motorcycle lane idea. That would be especially good if it had no speed limit. A guy could get to work in no time with a ZX-10R and a motorcycle express lane.
As your newly elected King I would be open to all suggestions and give you the proper price for each and every one of them.

Old July 4th, 2011, 12:05 PM   #26
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

Quote:
I've been to Palm Beach, won't work. Some old lady on a Concours 14 would be doing 52 in the motorcycle lane with her blinker on for miles...

Old July 4th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #27
n4mwd

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reddoak View Post
I've been to Palm Beach, won't work. Some old lady on a Concours 14 would be doing 52 in the motorcycle lane with her blinker on for miles...
If they used a full sized lane and subdivided it into two lanes and required slower traffic to keep right as its done in many other states, it should be OK as long as the po po promptly gives out tickets for bikers on the left side that are not passing. Also, it would need a minimum speed of say 80. That should be enough to keep granny with her CBR 250R away.

Old July 4th, 2011, 01:05 PM   #28
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

I would like to mandate the operation of bicycle on public roads for a period of at least one month, as part of the requirements for getting a driver's license.

Expose the new drivers to the environment and conditions that 2-wheel vehicle operators have to deal with and if they survive one month on a bicycle, likely they will be more aware of 2-wheel vehicle operators when they are drivers.

If you are unable to ride a bicycle on public roads and follow traffic laws accordingly, more than likely you are unfit to drive nor operate a motorcycle on public roads.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 01:09 PM   #29
ducducgooseit

I would like to mandate the operation of motorcycle on public roads for a period of at least one month, as part of the requirements for getting a driver's license.

Expose the new drivers to the environment and conditions that 2-wheel vehicle operators have to deal with and if they survive one month on a motorcycle, likely they will be more aware of 2-wheel vehicle operators when they are drivers.

If you are unable to ride a motorcycle on public roads and follow traffic laws accordingly, more than likely you are unfit to drive nor operate an automobile on public roads.

Old July 4th, 2011, 01:27 PM   #30
Reddoak
ninjette.org guru

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r - Traded for 2009 ER-6N

Quote:
Originally Posted by N Ja View Post
I would like to mandate the operation of bicycle on public roads for a period of at least one month, as part of the requirements for getting a driver's license.

Expose the new drivers to the environment and conditions that 2-wheel vehicle operators have to deal with and if they survive one month on a bicycle, likely they will be more aware of 2-wheel vehicle operators when they are drivers.

If you are unable to ride a bicycle on public roads and follow traffic laws accordingly, more than likely you are unfit to drive nor operate a motorcycle on public roads.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ducducgooseit View Post
I would like to mandate the operation of motorcycle on public roads for a period of at least one month, as part of the requirements for getting a driver's license.

Expose the new drivers to the environment and conditions that 2-wheel vehicle operators have to deal with and if they survive one month on a motorcycle, likely they will be more aware of 2-wheel vehicle operators when they are drivers.

If you are unable to ride a motorcycle on public roads and follow traffic laws accordingly, more than likely you are unfit to drive nor operate an automobile on public roads.
What, what?

Old July 4th, 2011, 02:17 PM   #31
ducducgooseit

Easy pezy. Each preferential group replaces the key word (i.e. bicycle) with their perceived denizen, modifies "2-wheeled vehicle" to suit, and then posts. To wit:
  • Truck drivers replace bicycle with "trucks"
  • Long haul truck drivers replace bicycle with "long haul trucks"
  • Bus drivers replace bicycle with "buses"
  • Pedestrians replace bicycle with "feet"
  • Horseback proponents replace bicycle with "horses"
An so on, et cetera, et cetera, et cetera. Ad hominum. Ad nauseum.

Old July 4th, 2011, 02:38 PM   #32
n4mwd

Kidding aside, I do think that everyone should be required to take some sort of biker awareness course or have that curriculum added to regular driver safety courses.

I know in this state, people who get tickets can elect to take a driver's safety course. I've never had to take it so I don't know. Has anybody here taken it and did it have anything to say about bikers? (That sounds like a rhetorical question, but its not.)

Old July 4th, 2011, 06:34 PM   #33
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Good NYT article about how bicycling, not motorcycling, affect motor vehicle accident rate.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 4th, 2011, 09:56 PM   #34
ungluck
sleeper

Name: chris

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '10 690 duke

****ing hilarious

Old July 5th, 2011, 08:15 AM   #35
Jinx250
Smoker

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): Guess....

Too bad for the author he put his email address in there.
Jinx250 is offline   Reply With Quote