ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old November 6th, 2015, 03:28 PM   #1
GeekyReese
ninjette.org member

Name: Reese

Motorcycle(s): EX250-e1

Exclamation Parts help! (86-87)

I'm restoring a 86-87 250, and I've noticed that some components look similar to the First Gen 500's.

I know that the First Gen 500's have a compatible shock, are there any other compatible components?
More specifically, is the instrument gauge, handlebar risers, and forks compatible with the 86-87 250?

I know about the 250 wiki:http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/I_have_a_1986-1987_model._What's_different%3F
I've searched there and throughout the net to try and figure out the answer(s), but so far no luck. I'm hoping someone here might be able to help.
GeekyReese is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2015, 12:18 PM   #2
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
http://www.kawasaki.com/Parts/ may be helpful in finding out if any of the parts are identical between the two models (though not compatibility of two slightly different part numbers).

http://www.ex-500.com/index.php is a great source of EX500 info. There's a lot more info on Gen2 stuff though, for the same reason there isn't as much on the EX250E.

The E shock is a different part number from the F (and from the EX500 which ninja250.org lists it as being the same as), but RaceTech lumps them all together as one, so I'm not sure how similar they are. However, the only advantage the EX500 shock has over the F shock is really that it has a preload adjuster. The spring is much softer, and the shock itself isn't anything that great. I actually have an EX250J shock on my 500, as the spring rate is much more appropriate for my weight, and it improves the steering by raising the rear a bit.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2015, 03:40 PM   #3
GeekyReese
ninjette.org member

Name: Reese

Motorcycle(s): EX250-e1

Quote:
Originally Posted by InvisiBill View Post
http://www.kawasaki.com/Parts/ may be helpful in finding out if any of the parts are identical between the two models (though not compatibility of two slightly different part numbers).

http://www.ex-500.com/index.php is a great source of EX500 info. There's a lot more info on Gen2 stuff though, for the same reason there isn't as much on the EX250E.

The E shock is a different part number from the F (and from the EX500 which ninja250.org lists it as being the same as), but RaceTech lumps them all together as one, so I'm not sure how similar they are. However, the only advantage the EX500 shock has over the F shock is really that it has a preload adjuster. The spring is much softer, and the shock itself isn't anything that great. I actually have an EX250J shock on my 500, as the spring rate is much more appropriate for my weight, and it improves the steering by raising the rear a bit.

You are an amazing human being, thanks for the info! It really helped.
GeekyReese is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2015, 10:54 PM   #4
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
http://www.ex-500.com/wiki/ is linked from the forum, but is easy to miss. It has some good info too. It's sort of a random smattering of helpful stuff, usually whatever got converted from forum stickies by someone with Wiki markup skills.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 5th, 2015, 06:12 AM   #5
Yamahawk
Chaplain

Name: Charlie

Motorcycle(s): 75 RD350 race bike, 82 XZ550RJ Vision, 81 XV920RH, 89 VTR250 Interceptor race bike, 06 Concours, 86 EX250E1

The instrument clusters are almost identical, with the exception of the gauge faces being different for the Tachometer, and possibly the speedo. The rear housings are the same, and can interchange, if you have a good EX500 and a broken EX250, you can swap out all you internals to the EX500 housing. Also, the clear plastic cover for the gauges are interchangeable, they are identical. The black plastic gauge shroud, which is like a sun shade, are not identical, but they are close, with the EX500 being much more substantial, and enough alike that I believe you could trim it to the same dimensions as the 86-87 EX250. Hope this helps.
Charlie