Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old September 11th, 2010, 12:12 AM   #1
CrzyFstMnM
ninjette.org member

Name: Manoj

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 SE

Opinion on Selling Method

Hey guys,

So I'm sure a lot of you have seen my thread about possibly getting the ZX6r. So I just decided to post my 09 Ninja 250 on Craigslist just to see what responses I get. This is an email that i got:

"Hi i was wondering if you still had the ninja available, if so i had a quick question if you would maybe consider a payments over maybe 2-3 month period of time and i would give you an extra 500 in the end. The only reason why i ask is because i am currently 18 with no credit so a dealership wont finance me, i am in a desperate need of a bike because i use alot of gas to get back and fourth to work. I live with my mom right now and use her car but she is going to stop letting me use it soon and also if i get my own vehicle i will be able to move out with some friends of mine."

What do you guys think or have to say about what he/she is offering? I mean I really wouldn't want to do payments because I need the money upfront...but I was just going to ask you guys about scams and how to safeguard myself if i were to do something like this?
CrzyFstMnM is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 12:18 AM   #2
kingkang204
ninjette.org guru

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): Bike-less, Can I ride yours?

I personally wouldn't sell it by getting payments over time, because the problem with that is if he crashes, and doesn't have insurance he wont be able to pay you and pay for the bike. But, if you do choose to sell it to him make sure you have him sign a contract with someone there to assure that it is legit.
P.S you should part out the aftermarket parts on your bike, Dibs on the exhaust
kingkang204 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 12:24 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I wouldn't even reply to the email.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 01:56 AM   #4
welcome2thedawn
ninjette.org guru

Name: dawn

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250r modded, 73 honda cl200, 74 kawasaki 400 triple

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrzyFstMnM View Post
i am in a desperate need of a bike because i use alot of gas to get back and fourth to work. I live with my mom right now and use her car but she is going to stop letting me use it soon and also if i get my own vehicle i will be able to move out with some friends of mine."
uh, fer realz? sounds like a good way to lose your bike, and never see the guy, or the money ever again...first off, you'd think that if was trying to convince a stranger to take payment, he would try to come off a bit more professional...since he uses so much gas to get back and fourth, maybe he should buy a bicycle...his mom stop letting him use the car, and being able to move out, really doesn't have anything to do with you...not your problem...he sounds immature...you will find a good buyer...someone with cash who just wants a good bike..it'll happen
welcome2thedawn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 04:33 AM   #5
Ceir
ninjette.org member

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250 BLACK

The only way I would accept a deal like that is if the bike stays with you till the last payment is made.
Ceir is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 05:08 AM   #6
johnjohn
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Honda, Buell, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha

No, no, no. Run don't walk away from that scam.
johnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 09:26 AM   #7
CrzyFstMnM
ninjette.org member

ha thanks for the input guys. Yea for sure I wouldn't do something that would not be secure. This is my first time actually selling a vehicle so I was wondering how anyone else approached this issue.

I'll wait until I get a good offer that can pay cash up front and no business with payments. I was curious though, can you do personal payments through a bank? That question just popped in my head. Can you make payments from one person to another but have it go through a bank so its secure? Im guessing banks don't do something like that unless they get a piece of the cut but...

Old September 11th, 2010, 09:43 AM   #8
250rr
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

My inflation-adjusted two cents.

Quote:
Originally Posted by welcome2thedawn View Post
uh, fer realz? sounds like a good way to lose your bike, and never see the guy, or the money ever again...first off, you'd think that if was trying to convince a stranger to take payment, he would try to come off a bit more professional...since he uses so much gas to get back and fourth, maybe he should buy a bicycle...his mom stop letting him use the car, and being able to move out, really doesn't have anything to do with you...not your problem...he sounds immature...you will find a good buyer...someone with cash who just wants a good bike..it'll happen
I agree completely. I know almost nothing about bikes (I still haven't bought my first one yet!), but I've bought and sold a ton other types of vehicles. Wait for someone who can actually PAY for your bike.

If you decide to do this (let me be clear, I think this would be a mistake), then at the very least keep the title until he pays for it all. The problem with this scenario is that if he wrecks it shortly after taking delivery (which, according to many posts I've read on here, isn't that far-fetched), then you basically have a title to nothing, with very little recourse.

A slightly better bet would be to, as Ceir suggests, keep the title AND bike until he pays for it all. But this brings its own set of challenges.

In summary, (Damn, I haven't typed the phrase 'in summary' since some long-forgotten Middle School book report! ) I agree with those who are advising you to wait for a cash buyer. Good Luck!!!
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 09:54 AM   #9
CrzyFstMnM
ninjette.org member

HEY! You didn't start your persuasive essay with an introduction or a really cool title!!!

And yes I'm not going to do this. Who knows maybe when i ask for $3500 OBO someone will offer be $4000 cash haha

Quote:
Originally Posted by 250rr View Post
I agree completely. I know almost nothing about bikes (I still haven't bought my first one yet!), but I've bought and sold a ton other types of vehicles. Wait for someone who can actually PAY for your bike.

If you decide to do this (let me be clear, I think this would be a mistake), then at the very least keep the title until he pays for it all. The problem with this scenario is that if he wrecks it shortly after taking delivery (which, according to many posts I've read on here, isn't that far-fetched), then you basically have a title to nothing, with very little recourse.

A slightly better bet would be to, as Ceir suggests, keep the title AND bike until he pays for it all. But this brings its own set of challenges.

In summary, (Damn, I haven't typed the phrase 'in summary' since some long-forgotten Middle School book report! ) I agree with those who are advising you to wait for a cash buyer. Good Luck!!!

Old September 11th, 2010, 10:04 AM   #10
250rr

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): Cheap Italian Suit. Otherwise known as Dew Kitty

Quote:
HEY! You didn't start your persuasive essay with an introduction or a really cool title!!!

And yes I'm not going to do this. Who knows maybe when i ask for $3500 OBO someone will offer be $4000 cash haha
Title to book report: My Book Report.

There.
250rr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 11th, 2010, 01:14 PM   #11
killerkay3
=°°=

Name: Imran

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Yamaha R6 / 2008 Green Ninja 250 (Sold)

im trying to sell my bike as well, and got a similar email, saying he didnt have all the money but he would pay me $500 extra over time, i didnt respond and deleted the email

Old September 11th, 2010, 02:06 PM   #12
TenaciousD
ninjette.org member

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250R

Quote:
Can you make payments from one person to another but have it go through a bank so its secure? Im guessing banks don't do something like that unless they get a piece of the cut but...
Yes, your bank can accept an electronic transfer from another bank. They might charge a few bucks to do it, but it's done all the time.

When I bought my bike, the seller went with me to my bank and I withdrew cash and handed it right to him. That way he knew the $100 bills were not fake. It was his idea to do it that way, but I didn't have any problem with it.

No matter what, you don't sign over the title and the buyer doesn't take possession of the bike until you have either cash in your hands or funds in your bank account.

Old September 11th, 2010, 02:16 PM   #13
Minnesotah
Did you get him?

Name: Myke

Motorcycle(s): 2009 2fiddy SE

Things to know about craigslist,

1. Always ask email inquires to call if they are interested.

Why? Because scam artists most of the time will not respond after that.

2. Don't Accept checks, money orders, cashiers checks. Or any other forms of payments.

Why? Most will result in you getting screwed

3. If people want to test ride your bike make sure they have cash in hand

Why? A handful of times i have seen a test ride turn bad, They drop the bike. They wreck, or they just don't come back. Also keep something of theirs ask for a card of some sort. I have a scanner so i will always scan they drivers license.

4. Contracts!

Why? People of the world are slimy, this sucks now a days. Make sure you sell everything as "as is condition". You will be glad you used a good solid contract.

Just some general rules of mine
Minnesotah is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2010, 09:31 AM   #14
bungeejump
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250; 2008 Harley Nightster; 2010 Ninja 250R

Another thing about craigslist....

I set up a free google voice account to list things on craigslist. I have it all set up through my Droid phone so random questions/calls don't ever get my "real" phone number. You have to set up a google mail account, then a google voice account...I like the set up of it all and it keeps the nut jobs from having my real digits. If I think an offer is legit, then I give out my real number if I want to. In reality, I could only use my google voice account though.
bungeejump is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2010, 09:50 AM   #15
ScorpionNinja

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 650RTE & 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
I wouldn't even reply to the email.
ditto
ScorpionNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2010, 10:03 AM   #16
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

He wants to "finance" over only 3 months? And the reason he can't just wait 3 months is...?

Old September 13th, 2010, 11:33 AM   #17
Rosie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Rose

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Blue Ninja 250R

Quote:
"Hi i was wondering if you still had the ninja available, if so i had a quick question if you would maybe consider a payments over maybe 2-3 month period of time and i would give you an extra 500 in the end. The only reason why i ask is because i am currently 18 with no credit so a dealership wont finance me, i am in a desperate need of a bike because i use alot of gas to get back and fourth to work. I live with my mom right now and use her car but she is going to stop letting me use it soon and also if i get my own vehicle i will be able to move out with some friends of mine."
Rosie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2010, 12:27 PM   #18
possumapproved
ninjette.org member

Name: Amy

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 aka Vera

oh craigslist

I got a lot of those scamming posts while selling my jeep last winter. One sounded very similar - girl said she needed to make payments because her child was sick and couldn't afford the full price at once, heart wrenching truly. I ignored that one and got a new email when I reposted the next day, same sob story with different names
possumapproved is offline   Reply With Quote