ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old March 21st, 2011, 07:29 AM   #1
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

Vehicular Assault

One of my friends had been in an incident - he was riding his Harley home, and noticed two cars following him. Eventually they boxed him in - one got in front, and another one behind him. The car in front then slammed on the brakes, and the other one sideswiped him from the rear. He went down, but luckily was released from hospital with only scratches and bruises. The bike had minor damage. He called cops and filed the police report, and gave the license plate, but cops said they did not have enough evidence to prove it was intentional. No witnesses who saw him going down and stayed around. He is absolutely sure the assault was done on purpose - if he had helmet cam, it would have been priceless.

I wonder if anyone has seen anything like this - cagers deliberately running bikers off.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2011, 08:00 AM   #2
trex
ninjette.org member

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 250r '08 Candy Plasma (best) Blue

i have heard of things like this involving cars for insurance claims....have the police find the car and look for damage that would match up with the bike
trex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2011, 08:15 AM   #3
Havok
Internet Slut

Name: Jeff

Motorcycle(s): 04 FZ1, 07 FZ6

One of two things, it was an insurance scam and they messed up with the guy in back hitting him making the damage the guy in backs fault or they were going to grab the bike from him but when he went down figured all was lost and bailed.

There is a club in east LA that is doing that with sport bikes. They are trying to be the sport bike version of the mongols. They were kicked out of the alliance and are on a warpath boxing rival clubs members in and jacking the bikes.
Havok is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2011, 08:16 AM   #4
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Cool

I was a bicycle messenger in SF CA during my late teens, many road rage situations back then even.

One particular incident I remembered, a pickup truck tried to run me off the pavement, I stayed upright and caught up to the truck at the next traffic light.

Without me getting a word out of my mouth, I was yelled and screamed at with profanity, as he yelled and screamed, I studies his truck's interior until the light changes the driver sped off.

Then I caught up to the truck for the second time, I headbutt the driver with my helmet, reached into the truck and pulled his car key in the ignition and threw it across the road towards the drainage hole and I rode off on my bicycle.

That was just one of many of my experience with vehicular assault. Plenty of times I've had car doors open as I ride by, cars get pass me to make right turns few feet in front in my path and I have to kick the side of their vehicle with the metal cleats under my cycling shoes to avoid impacting with my body or bicycle.

My reckless teenage years, I was invincible back then.. stupid.. I'm amazed that I've survived this long.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2011, 10:18 AM   #5
bluesinorbit
ninjette.org member

Name: Joon

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

I don't know how secluded the area is where this happened, but there are cameras everywhere and eyewitnesses can be found with some effort which your friend could put in if the cops are so disinterested. The cops have their license plate for crying out loud. Will someone have to finally die on camera for them to get off their asses and do something?

All else failing, I would raise the issue to the media and they may be able to 1) find the evidence that the cops missed 2) get public attention and scare the assailants from doing it again 3) publicize the identity of the owner of the vehicle. All of this would put pressure on the cops to do something.

If your friend's really lucky, a biker gang might throw a brick or two through the assailant's car window.
bluesinorbit is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2011, 10:35 AM   #6
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Only you know your friend, but it's human nature to try and explain a way a crash or accident as no fault of their own. If it happened exactly as described, it sounds like a pretty terrible experience.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2011, 10:47 AM   #7
FrugalNinja250
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

I've been purposely run off the road and I've had people rage on me for no other reason apparently than the fact I was a motorcyclist daring to use the road.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2011, 11:13 AM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I've had people do silly things on occasion as well. When passing slower traffic, it's not a rare occurrence for the car or truck to move closer to the yellow line, and sometimes over it; saw it this weekend behind a beat-up F-250, as he put both wheels into the passing lane just as we came by. As if they make the truck weave enough, it will convince a much quicker and more nimble bike to decide that to stay behind and follow for miles instead of just getting the heck out of dodge. If I didn't expect it, and got sideswiped by the raging butthead, then it would certainly be their fault, yet still my loss (bike/health/life/etc).

As much as we want to believe that everyone always has the best intentions, it's safer when on a bike to assume both that vehicles don't see you (we're invisible), and those that do see you are out to get you (as described in this thread and others). Whether the intent is as dark as portrayed by the OP, or is more spur of the moment silliness by the cranially challenged behind the wheel, doesn't necessarily matter in terms of the risk we are facing.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 21st, 2011, 03:07 PM   #9
wyckedflesh
ninjette.org guru

Name: Mikel

Motorcycle(s): '09 Blue Kawasaki KLE650 Versys, '95 Ducati 900SS/CR (undergoing track conversion)

It is an insurance scam, the idea of the sideswipe was to imply the motorcycle tried to avoid the car in front only to end up riding into the car in the lane next to him. Others have explained that the bike misjudged the distance while passing the (rear) vehicle and ended up pulling into them as oncoming traffic approached.

It's a newer one, and is usually used to cause extra damage to an already damaged car to up the claim. You might have your friend ask his adjuster for the damage to his bike if there have been a rash of those type of accidents recently. It is "possible" but not a guarantee that there are photos of recent cars used as the "rear" or damaged car that your friend may be able to identify. It happens when there is an in depth investigation going on.

BTW, this is a Quick Cash Scenario and usually involves a body shop that has a supply of doors, fenders, etc on hand. The body shop supplies the estimate for the insurance, the insurance cuts the check, the body shop simply swaps panels and out they go to do it again.

Old March 22nd, 2011, 11:47 AM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by wyckedflesh View Post
It is an insurance scam, the idea of the sideswipe was to imply the motorcycle tried to avoid the car in front only to end up riding into the car in the lane next to him. Others have explained that the bike misjudged the distance while passing the (rear) vehicle and ended up pulling into them as oncoming traffic approached.

It's a newer one, and is usually used to cause extra damage to an already damaged car to up the claim. You might have your friend ask his adjuster for the damage to his bike if there have been a rash of those type of accidents recently. It is "possible" but not a guarantee that there are photos of recent cars used as the "rear" or damaged car that your friend may be able to identify. It happens when there is an in depth investigation going on.

BTW, this is a Quick Cash Scenario and usually involves a body shop that has a supply of doors, fenders, etc on hand. The body shop supplies the estimate for the insurance, the insurance cuts the check, the body shop simply swaps panels and out they go to do it again.
Fraud is one thing, but why risk a murder charge for a bit of money? It's doesn't make sense why they would target a motorcycle.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2011, 05:57 PM   #11
eddiekay
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: eddie

Motorcycle(s): 300, WeeStrom

Toly...this happened in Brooklyn ?
Yeah...I could believe they'd target a HD. Some fool tried it with my wife in Hempstead...she just stopped the car and waited till he drove away. Though, I got to admit..I never heard of the "box and bump" with a bike.
eddiekay is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2011, 07:17 PM   #12
Toly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Toly

Motorcycle(s): KTM 390 Duke

In Queens. He said there were several young guys in those two cars.
Toly is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 22nd, 2011, 08:03 PM   #13
ricochet08
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja ex500, 2010 Ninja 250r, 2004 zzr600, 2003 CBR600rr, 2013 Ninja 300...in that order :D

It would take a lot for me not to let the Ruger talk to em...
Glad he's ok
ricochet08 is offline   Reply With Quote