ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Old September 25th, 2011, 04:10 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[sportrider - latest stories] - 2011 World Superbike Imola race report/results—Rea

2011 World Superbike Imola race report/results—Rea and Checa split wins

Althea Racing Ducati's Carlos Checa can clinch the 2011 WSBK championship at the next round at Magny Cours France with his 3-1 score at ImolaCarlos Checa came very close to sewing up the World Superbike title in Ducati’s home country with a third in Race One and a victory in Race Two at Imola, but the champagne will have to wait until the two remaining rounds. Checa now carries a commanding 97-point lead heading into Magny Cours, France, next weekend, and all he needs is another three points over second-placed Marco Melandri, who could only muster a disappointing 8-6 tally at Imola.

Castrol Honda’s Jonathan Rea completed his long recovery from injuries this season to take a hard-earned victory in Race One. Rea took over from early leader Tom Sykes on the Kawasaki on lap four, and appeared as if he might pull away to an easy victory, using the Ten Kate-designed ride-by-wire throttle system on the Honda to good effect. Pata Racing Aprilia’s Nori Haga had other ideas however, and soon closed up on Rea. But despite hounding the Northern Irishman to the finish, Haga came up 0.111 seconds short at the flag. Checa had moved past Sykes to take third, and with nearest title contender Melandri struggling to eighth, took another step closer to the championship.

“Yeah, it’s an emotional day for me,” said Rea. “Because of last year ending my season at Imola with a very big injury (he crashed during Superpole, breaking his wrist and collarbone). So it’s a credit to all the people around me; my family, friends, girlfriend and my team to get us back to the top step. I used a lot of inspiration from the misfortune from last year to get back to the top. But massive ‘well done’ to Nori, he kept me honest the whole race, and sure had to dig deep at the end to try and get that win, but I’m so happy for me and my team, all the development they’re pushing my way.” When he was asked about stopping on the cool-down lap to kiss the pavement, Rea replied, “That’s the place I crashed last year. It devastated me, it was hard to pick myself back up, but we’re a strong team. It was just my way to say ‘cheerio’ to that part of the track.”

Rea looked like he was on his way to going two for two for the weekend, as he took the lead on the first lap and began building a lead. A faulty battery lead caused a misfire that forced him to drop out of the race however, handing the lead to Checa which the Spaniard wasted little time in taking advantage of, holding on to take the win from Haga and Aprilia Alitalia’s Leon Camier. “Yeah, it was a magic weekend,” said Checa. “We don’t automatically have the title, but it’s very close and we feel it already. We were really enthusiastic for the weekend. It’s a shame for Johnny because he was probably going to win. We were a bit lucky, but you know this year has been going so good, and here in Imola for us has been great. A really nice feeling in front of all the crowd. I want to say thanks to all the crowd because they really push hard and they really support us. And all the team and all the people who follow me throughout the year who believe in me.”

Photo Gallery: 2011 World Superbike Imola race report/results—Rea and Checa split wins - Sport Rider Magazine

2011 World Superbike Imola race report/results—Rea and Checa split wins | Digg It | Add to del.icio.us

Click here for full story...