ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 27th, 2018, 04:32 PM   #1
T4r4life
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Ninja 250

07 Carb shenanigans

So i just picked up a super cherry 07 with 600 miles on it, yes i know. bike has been sitting so i took the carb apart to clean it, cleaned the Main jet, pilot jet, fuel mixture port, choke port, main jet needle. i replaced the float needle and adjusted the float, bench sync the carbs, dipped the carb in chemtool, Blew b12 and compressed air through all the passage, you know, the whole works. But for some reason its doing some weird shenanigan.

The bike when cold will not start, it sounds like it wants to idle but its so low rpm that it just stalls. Even with full choke it won't start, matter of fact when i do pull the choke once it gets going it actually kills the bike.

i get the bike started with starting fluid and i let it warm up to working temp, idles perfect at 1300rpm, return to idle is perfect, rides perfect, no dead spot, lot of pull. so i thought hmm maybe the air cut off valve is killiing the bike, checked the air cut off diaphragm, looks brand new. The fuel screw is 2 turns out same as my other ninjas, ive worked on pre gen quiet a bit and im kinda lost right now, everything is super clean and all the rubber are in good shape. Hmmmm what can it be?

Pic of bike for attention
T4r4life is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 28th, 2018, 10:28 PM   #2
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
The fact that bike is not running correctly means carbs are not fully cleaned. Sure, they may be better than before, but they are not factory-fresh as when they left factory.

Unfortunately, due to regulations, "carb cleaner" liquids are nothing more than weak carrier solvents without real cleaning/cutting chemicals. Back in old days, carbon-tetrachloride was awesome. I'd spray it on inside of my sprocket-guards and gunk would just slide off like hot butter. Then it was banned. Next best stuff, trichloroethane worked OK and was around for a while. But it too was banned.

When I spray stuff available now OTC onto my sprocket-guards, it runs off almost clear, having dissolved no grease and oil at all (I'd probably get better results peeing through carbs). So I don't give it much hope in cleaning carbs which have gas that have dried into plastic varnish. This is poly-vinyl cross-linked material similar to tung or linseed oil used in the old days as clear-coat/varnish. It's never dissolving again.

What is needed is mechanical scraping/flossing of all fuel-circuits in the carb-body itself. The jets are easily done with copper-wire or guitar string. You'll also need to soak carb & dis-assembled jets in ultrasonic cleaner for couple days. Then pressure soda-blast through all holes and passageways. One final step I do is drip dye I make with food-colouring through the passages to make sure it comes out other side. Same with every single hole in jets, especially pilot-jets with their multiple tiny holes. Each and every hole should have dye coming out before I consider them cleaned.

Some related threads:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=322846
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=321223
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=315193
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=317977

Some of really good mechanical guys on here, guys who can rebuild engines using only their teeth with both hands tied behind their backs, have had to disassemble and "clean" their carbs more and more thoroughly 3, 4, 5 times before it was as clean as factory-fresh condition.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old August 28th, 2018, 10:48 PM   #3
T4r4life
ninjette.org newbie

i use mainly B12 and Berryman chemdip, and i use a brass wire wheel for all the big stuff, small copper wire for all the jets and such, but for the passages i just shoot compressed air through it and make sure it comes out of the other passages, but using a small bore cleaner might be a good idea. sigh i wish i have friends with ultrasonic cleaner that would make life so easy.
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
The fact that bike is not running correctly means carbs are not fully cleaned. Sure, they may be better than before, but they are not factory-fresh as when they left factory.

Unfortunately, due to regulations, "carb cleaner" liquids are nothing more than weak carrier solvents without real cleaning/cutting chemicals. Back in old days, carbon-tetrachloride was awesome. I'd spray it on inside of my sprocket-guards and gunk would just slide off like hot butter. Then it was banned. Next best stuff, trichloroethane worked OK and was around for a while. But it too was banned.

When I spray stuff available now OTC onto my sprocket-guards, it runs off almost clear, having dissolved no grease and oil at all (I'd probably get better results peeing through carbs). So I don't give it much hope in cleaning carbs which have gas that have dried into plastic varnish. This is poly-vinyl cross-linked material similar to tung or linseed oil used in the old days as clear-coat/varnish. It's never dissolving again.

What is needed is mechanical scraping/flossing of all fuel-circuits in the carb-body itself. The jets are easily done with copper-wire or guitar string. You'll also need to soak carb & dis-assembled jets in ultrasonic cleaner for couple days. Then pressure soda-blast through all holes and passageways. One final step I do is drip dye I make with food-colouring through the passages to make sure it comes out other side. Same with every single hole in jets, especially pilot-jets with their multiple tiny holes. Each and every hole should have dye coming out before I consider them cleaned.

Some related threads:

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=322846
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=321223
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=315193
https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=317977

Some of really good mechanical guys on here, guys who can rebuild engines using only their teeth with both hands tied behind their backs, have had to disassemble and "clean" their carbs more and more thoroughly 3, 4, 5 times before it was as clean as factory-fresh condition.

Old August 29th, 2018, 07:33 PM   #4
DannoXYZ
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by T4r4life View Post
i use mainly B12 and Berryman chemdip, ...
Looking at MSDS sheet for ChemDip shows it's mostly water!!! No chlorinated cleaners at all! And ETHANOLS! It's ethanol in gas that started this whole mess anyway. Nope, I re-affirm my conclusion that pee is better than ANY kind of OTC carb-cleaning product. It's also mostly water too!

Best cleaner to get is something with healthy dose of PEA such as Red Line SI-1, Techron Concentrate or 3M Max Strength Fuel System Cleaner. Use whole bottle cut with enough gas to completely cover and soak carbs for couple days (1/2-gallon gas or so).

Then find some kind of wire to floss out all fuel-circuits. Doesn't matter if jets at end of circuits are clear, if pipe sending them fuel is clogged, nothing's getting out jets.

After 1/2-day of flossing (that's 12-hours, not 4), re-soak them in PEA for couple more days. During these days of waiting, search, track down, rent ultrasonic cleaner and soda-blasting equipment.

Quote:
Originally Posted by n4mwd View Post
Here are the secret passages in the carbs. They are kind of hard to figure out sometimes and this picture guide will show where they are for cleaning purposes.

Carb Pilot jet Circuit

Carb Main Jet Circuit

Carb Fuel and Overflow Drain

Carb Diaphragm Intake, upper choke and vacuum ports

Carb Choke Circuit
Also you want pilot screws 2.75 turns out on left carb and 2.25 turns out on right one.

Last futzed with by DannoXYZ; August 30th, 2018 at 11:05 PM.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2018, 05:58 AM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
(SNIP) 2.75 turns out on left carb and 2.25 turns out on right one.
Hey Danno -

What the reason for the difference in L to R idle mixture adjustments?

I thought the New Gens had different parts and settings side to side, but I've always set the Pre Gen carbs the same.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 30th, 2018, 06:29 AM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I know you said 600 miles, but things can be deceptive. Are you sure the odometer is original, for example?

Valves that are out of adjustment can cause your symptoms. On this engine, wear tends to cause the valve clearances to be reduced, and they eventually get to where they don't quite close when the engine is cold. This was the case when I got my '05, and I had similar hard starting and difficulty idling until it warmed up, at which time it ran fine. You can get a rough idea if this is the problem by doing a compression test on the cold engine, or you can just check the clearances.

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do..._the_valves%3F
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 10th, 2018, 04:32 PM   #7
T4r4life
ninjette.org newbie

Good new everyone! i got the bike running smooth as butter now, the AF ratio screw for some reason are not the same on both side, when i turn the screw all the way in, one needle sticks out more than the other. so the first thing i did is order to the stage 1 jet kit and got rid of the small tiny jets these california bikes came with, and got a #40 idle, and #110 main. with new jets the bike runs a little better but still pretty bad, got the bike to operating temp with some starting fluid and started the carb sync, got the carb perfectly synced. it runs a little better, but again not perfect. rode it to my buddys house, and he tuned the AF screw on the bike with it running. He got a handy little tool that can adjust AF with the carb on the bike. man oh man is it good now, zero lag on throttle, perfect return to idle, perfect power. its just perfect. im stoked!

Old September 11th, 2018, 06:19 AM   #8
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Good to hear you got it going.

110 is a pretty big Main Jet if you are running the stock airbox and exhaust.

We ran a 108 with pods and a leaky exhaust.

With 40 Pilots you should not be as far out on the idle mixture screws as you would with stock 38s, but it should end up providing the same mixture.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote