ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 16th, 2012, 07:57 PM   #1
Armo55
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja EX250 2010

Question DanMoto Carbon Questions!

Hey guys whats up?

Ive searched this form and there are some fuzzy things about this exhaust.

1.) Whats the deal with the mounting bolt? I read something about it not fitting? whats the solution? (Specific would be nice )

2.) Melting plastic? Ive read that a rubber piece melts over time and causes a huge ugly mess on the exhaust. Is this true?

3.) My Bike is Averaging 43.4 MPG (Thanks Fuelly.com) and i ride normal (Ive heard people getting 50 + easily), is my bike somewhat rich? Would i need to Shim still?

Thanks in advance guys!
Armo55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2012, 08:16 PM   #2
iceknyght
Recalculating. . .

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 (sold) '12 Ninja 650

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armo55 View Post
Hey guys whats up?

Ive searched this form and there are some fuzzy things about this exhaust.

1.) Whats the deal with the mounting bolt? I read something about it not fitting? whats the solution? (Specific would be nice )

2.) Melting plastic? Ive read that a rubber piece melts over time and causes a huge ugly mess on the exhaust. Is this true?

3.) My Bike is Averaging 43.4 MPG (Thanks Fuelly.com) and i ride normal (Ive heard people getting 50 + easily), is my bike somewhat rich? Would i need to Shim still?

Thanks in advance guys!

Based off my experiences:

1. You use the same bolt that currently holds the stock exhaust on. What I had a problem with was the hole from the strap that the muffler comes with, as it is too small... So I had to drill out the hole to fit the bolt. Once it's drilled, it works fine...

2. I have heard some of the older ones running into this problem, but have had no problems myself... In fact, after I got home from my commute the last time I rode the bike, I touched the muffler and it was barely warm... That was after an hour ride...

3. I get 50+ MPG currently with just the muffler (no shimming). It's down a couple MPG's since I added the new muffler and I plan to try shimming at some point, but right now, my bike runs pretty good... I don't really need the choke since adding it... But as others will probably mention, it doesn't hurt to try shimming...

Old March 16th, 2012, 08:42 PM   #3
Armo55
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja EX250 2010

Thanks Jason, You were a HUGE help!!
Armo55 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 16th, 2012, 08:55 PM   #4
leed
ninjette.org sage

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): Time will tell

The new strap that holds it has slots cut into, I am not sure if this strap has the issues of the mounting bolt being too big for the hole, or the melting issue.

However, the old one I've had for about 8 months (used) and it melted and deteriorated. It's stuck to the CF, so right now I've been running it without any of it. Seems alright for the time being.

I should also mention, I've clocked a bit of highway miles, 'advanced' group rides and a trackday on it which may have encouraged the high temperature issues.
leed is offline   Reply With Quote