Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 8th, 2010, 08:00 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[motorcyclistonline] - Highland Motorcycles - Swede Dreams

Highland Motorcycles - Swede Dreams

Highland Motorcycles reorganizes, relocates to AmericaOklahoma may not have an IKEA outlet yet, but the Sooner State is now home to the former Swedish motorcycle manufacturer Highland, which has reorganized and relocated to the Tulsa area. Mats Malmberg founded Highland Motorcycles AB in Skallinge in 1997, and went on to produce a 950cc V-twin super-enduro that compared favorably with bikes like the KTM 950 Adventure. The company sold a few hundred units from 2001-'03, before typical start-up hurdles put everything on hold.inline_mediumwraptextrightOur compatriots at Dirt Rider recently sampled Highland's off-road bikes, leaving intrigued if not impressed. We're hoping for some saddle time on the company's streetbikes soon.28617190/newsandupdates/motorcycle_news/122_1004_highland_motorcycles_swede_dreams122_1004_06_o+highland_motorcycles+fro nt_view.jpgTrue

Photo Gallery: Highland Motorcycles - Swede Dreams - Motorcyclist Magazine

Read More | Digg It | Add to del.icio.us

Click here for full story...

Old July 13th, 2010, 03:06 PM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Tragic.

Direct link to story...

Quote:
US Highland executives die in plane crash
Company founder, COO and CFO killed in Tulsa crash
By Motorcycle.Com Staff, Jul. 12, 2010

A plane crash near Tulsa, Okla., claimed the lives of three executives of motorcycle manufacturer US Highland.
US Highland President and founder Mats Malmberg, 41, Chief Operating Officer Chase Bales, 51, and Chief Financial Officer Damian Riddoch, 37, were returning to Tulsa July 10 after a business trip in Detroit. The three were en route to Jones Riverside Airport in Tulsa on a fixed-wing multi-engine Cessna.
At around 10 p.m., Bales, the pilot and owner of the plane, requested an emergency landing at Tulsa International Airport, reporting the aircraft was low on fuel. The plane crashed shortly after in a wooded area in Mohawk Park, 2,000 yards northeast of Tulsa International Airport. According to local authorities, Malmberg survived the crash but died shortly after being rushed to hospital.
A former motocross racer, Malmberg founded Highland Motorcycles AB in Sweden in 1997. After an agreement with sell the company to ATK fell through, Malmberg teamed up with Bales, a fellow motocross racer and venture capitalist, and relocated the company to Oklahoma, renaming it US Highland.
Malmberg is survived by his wife and three children, Bales is survived by his wife and two children, and Riddoch is survived by his wife and four children.

“This is a human tragedy beyond imagination. Our hearts and prayers go out to their families,” says Dr. Steven A. Moell, chief executive officer of US Highland. “No words can describe the loss the families are experiencing. It was an honor to work with these three men and I know they would want us to continue to build US Highland into a leading U.S. powersports company. They were all true visionaries and will be deeply missed.”
US Highland was beginning to build traction, opening a new 33,000 square foot factory in Tulsa on June 1. The company produces a range of 250cc to 500cc off-road and supermoto models, as well as 750cc to 1050cc V-Twin streetbikes. US Highland is also entering the electric motorcycle segment, announcing July 1 it will use magnetic hub motors.
“I know everyone including myself at US Highland will sincerely miss Mats, Chase and Damian,” says Bengt Andersson, chairman of US Highland. “I always had a strong respect for their work ethic and strong level of integrity. My deepest condolences go out to their families.”
The National Transportation and Safety Board is investigating the crash.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2010, 07:17 AM   #3
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

That is a tragedy! I wish their family and friends well on coping with their loss.

Hopefully, the company can find someone to step forward to lead them so they can continue to build on what they have already started.

This is the exact reason why my company (and many others) have rules about certain executives traveling together.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2010, 12:28 PM   #4
DRivero
ninjette.org guru

Name: Debbi

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250 (Sold); 2008 Ninja EX500

That really sucks. Like really.

It's so weird....the BF and I were JUST LAST NIGHT talking about how cool it was that they were coming to the US, after reading the article about US Highland in my Motorcyclist mag.

I just called him and told him about the crash. He said, "I smell conspiracy. Harley Davidson must be behind this". He's not serious, of course......he just can't get over the Buell thing.

Man, look at the ages of those guys, too. Cut down so young, with a cool motorcycle company to run and half your life left to run it......that is just too sad.

Old July 15th, 2010, 07:29 PM   #5
TygaUSA.com
Tyga Performance

Name: TygaUSA

Motorcycle(s): Honda's!

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post

This is the exact reason why my company (and many others) have rules about certain executives traveling together.
Yeah, same thing just happened to another company flying in South America...just a couple weeks ago!

Hopefully the bikes don't die with them...sad!
TygaUSA.com is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2010, 08:24 AM   #6
DRivero
ninjette.org guru

Name: Debbi

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250 (Sold); 2008 Ninja EX500

Quote:
Originally Posted by revstriker View Post
Hopefully, the company can find someone to step forward to lead them so they can continue to build on what they have already started
I hear Eric Buell is available.......
Posted via Mobile Device
DRivero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 18th, 2010, 05:36 PM   #7
revstriker
ninjette.org sage

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja zx6r

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRivero View Post
I hear Eric Buell is available.......
Posted via Mobile Device
I wouldn't pick him to run the company though. His dealings with HD is proof that he's not the greatest business man.
revstriker is offline   Reply With Quote