ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 26th, 2011, 04:12 AM   #1
Rizod
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Rod

Motorcycle(s): none yet

Help me decide which bike.

This might be the wrong place to ask this lol, but id like some like some opinions. Im deciding between the ninja 250 2nd gen or the ninja 650 1st gen.
Ive had a sv650 and a cbr 600f4i.Have neither anymore.So im not a total newb.
The whole reason Im considering a 250 is ive read and heard how much fun they can be. What ill be using the bike for is week night twisties, weekend trips and a few trackdays over the summer.

Some concerns
Ill miss the power. Im only 135 so that will help.
Two up riding possible? Well I know its possible... but how is it?
General freeway riding? Good for long hauls?
Generally going from big bikes to a small one.
Am I missing any other ones?

So I just cant decide again I like the fun factor of the 250 and the 650r seems to be a great all around bike. Also the 250 is a bit cheaper around here 3k for a nice used one low miles, which concerns me a little Ive seen alot with low miles( why are some many selling em). 650 around 3500-4k

Im posting this on the kawi forum too Id just like to get as many opinions as I can since this will be my only bike for a few yrs. Thank you for any comments.
Rizod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2011, 10:47 AM   #2
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/moved to General

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2011, 10:54 AM   #3
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
"2nd gen" ninja 250? do you mean an '08+? isn't the 08+ 250 actually the 4th gen?
if you're talking about the 08+, i think the 250 looks way better than the 650. imo the 250 is extremely easy to handle and really lets you try to pull out all the stops in the twisties while a higher horsepower bike you end up trying to manage the power more which doesn't let you have as much fun. it's cheaper all around.
why not find a buddy with a 250 to let you ride it in the twisties and get a feel for it?

Old June 26th, 2011, 11:01 AM   #4
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rizod View Post
Two up riding possible? Well I know its possible... but how is it?
General freeway riding? Good for long hauls?
2-up long haul Ninja 250, 2 up TX to Argentina
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2011, 11:10 AM   #5
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Quote:

Some concerns
Ill miss the power. Im only 135 so that will help.
I'm 145 (150 if I just came from the pool). I find the power to be fine. When I get it out on the highway I've hit *cough cough* 140kph pretty easy, but acceleration is a little laggy. I wish it had a bit more "umph" on the highway when I'm passing, but it's never been that much of a concern.

Quote:
So I just cant decide again I like the fun factor of the 250 and the 650r seems to be a great all around bike. Also the 250 is a bit cheaper around here 3k for a nice used one low miles, which concerns me a little Ive seen alot with low miles( why are some many selling em). 650 around 3500-4k
You'll see a lot of 250's with low milage because people will buy them as their first bike, drive it for a season (or a couple of months) and then move up to a 600. No other reason than that.

And you're exactly right. The 250 is a cheaper, better looking and more fun bike than the 650. The 650 is a great "all-around" bike.

If it's just me, I'd go with the 250.
If I was riding 2-up a lot, or doing a lot of long distance travel (greater than 4 hours) on a regular basis, I'd get the 650.

Old June 26th, 2011, 11:45 AM   #6
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

I've mainly had cruisers from 800cc to 1100cc and went to a ninja 250 for commuting. I've had one 650 sport bike that was not road legal and for the track only (a modified SV650) So here are my two cents on the newgen:

Two up riding;
I've done about 1200 miles two up on the 250 and it wasn't very spectacular (320lbs of rider/passenger - 40-50lbs of luggage). It doesn't struggle on the highway, but I required fairly frequent stops, since I'm 6'3" and don't quite fold up right on the 250 with a passenger. My wife didn't have many problems though (5'2", 108lbs). I prefer a larger bike for this and wouldn't recommend a 250 for a comfortable ride if you're old/cranky and tall. But it CAN do it.

Highway travel (single rider);
No real problems that I can think of. I'm old and my knees hurt from digging into the side of the tank after approx 1hr, but it's not that bad. The 250 can keep up with no problem, and overtake at highway speeds. Just don't expect it to take off like a bat out of hell when you're going 70MPH already, it takes some time to wind up and get to 80. It's very capable on the highway for a 250, I weigh around 210-220 with full gear.

Twisty back roads;
I don't think you'd find a better bike to have "carefree" fun on twisty roads. You can ride these things to their limit around every corner with a lot less entry speed correction than you'd experience on a 600+ bike.

Track days;
If you're just getting into track runs, it's a perfect starting point to learn on. I started track days on a 650, but would probably have learned more and became more confident faster on high speed corners had I gone on a 250. But I'd probably would have wanted a bigger bike fairly quickly for track days.

Overall the 250 is capable and cheap. I sometimes miss the torque and additional power of previous bikes. But I've never found myself NEEDING the additional power (aside from two up riding). You'd probably be better suited to get the bigger bike if your main concern is two up riding long distances frequently. But it depends on how you both fit on the bike. If you fit well, then comfort wouldn't be a issue.
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2011, 12:06 PM   #7
Rizod
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Rod

Motorcycle(s): none yet

Ah thanks guys, this is all great info and opinions. Now I think Im even more torn lol. Yes Im talking about the new gen. I dont know anyone with one to test ride.
Well I wont be doing much 2 up riding. Ive actually havent done it yet. Im short 5 7' and on my other bikes I couldnt flat foot the ground so I was never comfy with the idea of someone perched on the back. But since I will be able to on this bike. Im open to the idea. Im also light bout 150 geared up.
Rizod is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 26th, 2011, 12:42 PM   #8
TXJ
Cranky Old Fart

Name: TXJ

Motorcycle(s): 08 DRZ400SM

You will be fine on a 250 for what you need. You'd be able to flat foot it. My wife is a midget and can tippy toe on both sides with stock height. Her personal bike is lowered. The 650 is probably 2" higher than the 250 so that might cause problems if you don't lower it. All in all you don't stand to loose much getting a used 250 considering you'd be able to sell it fast and get pretty much what you pay for it if you decide you don't like it after road time.

Go to a dealer and sit on some. If you feel good on it go buy a used one. They're very easy bikes to ride and live with. They're fun because you can strangle the thing all day and it will take it. The ninja has power delivery fairly similar to the SV. Except it's lighter, less powerful, gets + 5-10mpg and uses cheaper tires.
TXJ is offline   Reply With Quote