ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old September 16th, 2011, 07:36 AM   #1
GeneJunkie
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cindy

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Car plows through bike shop

Seriously wtf, how does someone just go and drive through a business? Of course it was an elderly driver they really need to implement a reaction test or a driving test after a certain age.

http://www.cnn.com/video/?/video/us/...bike-shop.kcal
GeneJunkie is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 07:51 AM   #2
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Dang. She nearly creamed the couple standing at the counter.

Old September 16th, 2011, 08:08 AM   #3
Gurk
Done here.

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

F*CK! If my mom & dad are still driving at 70+, I'll beat them up and report them. That's how much I hate elderly people driving. IDIOTS!
Gurk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 09:27 AM   #4
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Name: Umar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R; 2011 250R (sold)

I can't stress enough that after a certain age, drivers need to retake the DMV's driving test. Not all elderly people would do something like this, but plenty would.

Old September 16th, 2011, 11:02 AM   #5
Mazakawi
ninjette.org member

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
F*CK! If my mom & dad are still driving at 70+, I'll beat them up and report them. That's how much I hate elderly people driving. IDIOTS!
It's not all elderly people that are bad at driving. But the ones who are no longer able to mess it up for the few that are good.

It's like saying all sportbike riders are Squids because you saw a group of 5 pass you at 100+ on the interstate doing wheelies in shorts and flip flops. Yes, there are some bad ones, but not all of them.
Mazakawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 11:11 AM   #6
Heed
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): None yet, yet.

She hit the gas instead of the brake loll

Old September 16th, 2011, 12:57 PM   #7
Honko
ninjette.org sage

Name: Hyon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Green SE

I feel like there's at least one story a year of an elderly woman driving through a store because she accidentally hit the gas instead of the brake.
Honko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 05:48 PM   #8
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gurk View Post
Though I do agree that elderly drivers should at least have to pass a driving test every year or so, I have to throw this out there...so what if YOU are still driving at 70+? Would you want someone to tell you you were too old drive? Or if they did, would you listen?

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 16th, 2011, 07:29 PM   #9
reaubideux
Perpetual Newb

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2010 MIB Ninja 250R [sold]; 2006 CBR600RR [sold]; 2013 Triumph Street Triple R

The elderly drivers taking a driving test thing will never happen. Politics, plain and simple. The elderly are one of, if not the largest group of voters. This type of thing would require politicians to vote through the law. By passing such a law, they would be alienating their main constituents - old folks. Would you vote for someone who is actively trying to take away your driving privileges? I don't even want to start on discussing the additional resources required to run such a program.
reaubideux is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2011, 07:57 AM   #10
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

Quote:
Originally Posted by reaubideux View Post
The elderly drivers taking a driving test thing will never happen. Politics, plain and simple. The elderly are one of, if not the largest group of voters. This type of thing would require politicians to vote through the law. By passing such a law, they would be alienating their main constituents - old folks. Would you vote for someone who is actively trying to take away your driving privileges? I don't even want to start on discussing the additional resources required to run such a program.
I would vote for it, even in my old age. If I'm not able to drive like everyone else on the road, why should they let me? I'd be a danger to myself, my passengers, and everyone else out there. If old people have too much pride to see that, then there's a different issue. Nowadays, we have grocery stores who deliver and public transit. Between the two, you don't really need to drive if you don't want to or aren't able to.

The thing is, the driving test isn't all that difficult to pass anyways. Sure, the M1 is much more challenging, but the standard one is pretty easy.

Old September 19th, 2011, 09:09 AM   #11
sombo
Newb..... on a steeek! :D

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Harley Davidson XL883L Sportster Superlow

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
The thing is, the driving test isn't all that difficult to pass anyways. Sure, the M1 is much more challenging, but the standard one is pretty easy.
You would think that wouldn't you? Unfortunately it seems that according to surveys done by GMAC insurance, 1 out of 5 adults would fail the written part of the test these days. Therefore, if you don't know the driving laws well enough you can't expect to practice them.
sombo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2011, 09:41 AM   #12
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): magHitVE

Dunno about you guys but where I live you have to pass a test every 2 years after the age of 70 to be able to keep your license!
jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2011, 09:42 AM   #13
greg737
-

So it's settled then....

The blue-haired Grannys aren't going to stop driving until they destroy a storefront or kill/injure somebody (usually a child/children or a young adult with their whole life in front of them).

So it's your job to not be their next victim, simple as that. It's not a good solution or even a socially correct solution, but that's how we (they) roll in the U.S.A.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #14
greg737
-

Quote:
The elderly drivers taking a driving test thing will never happen. Politics, plain and simple. The elderly are one of, if not the largest group of voters. This type of thing would require politicians to vote through the law. By passing such a law, they would be alienating their main constituents - old folks.
That's right, they're Baby-Boomers. They've never been denied anything, they've had it their way their entire lives.

It's their world, they don't know any other way.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote