ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old July 7th, 2009, 08:03 AM   #1
athimmel
ninjette.org member

Name: Adam

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250 - blue

Shifts "hard" in 1st - 3rd

This may be my imagination, but I wanted to see if anyone else had this issue and/or a fix.

I noticed that when I shift into 1st, 2nd, or 3rd, it sounds like the bike just kind of "pounds" into gear. It is much louder and more noticeable in the lower gears, almost like it is being forced while 4th - 6th kind of just click into gear. I am not doing anything different with the clutch or throttle. Does anyone else notice a difference? It just sounds like it is not happy to go into lower gears.

I'm still under 1k miles and had the 600 mile work done at the shop. (So I couldn't have messed that up!)

(Forgive me if this is a stupid or noob question.)
athimmel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2009, 08:07 AM   #2
backinthesaddleagain
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Greg

Motorcycle(s): 2013 ZX6R 636

the lower gears are under more torque than the higher ones so they aren't as much of a slight click as gears 4-6, but shouldn't be pounding or forced feeling. i was going to ask if you changed the oil but I see you had the 600 mile word done and they should have inspected the clutch free play.
backinthesaddleagain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2009, 03:39 PM   #3
athimmel
ninjette.org member

The clutch feels fine, but the clicking into gear on the lower gears is really loud and sounds like the bike isn't happy about it.

Old July 8th, 2009, 04:28 PM   #4
kkim

do you know what brand/viscosity oil was used at the 600 mile service?
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2009, 04:32 PM   #5
athimmel
ninjette.org member

No idea. I assume that they used what the manual required. You think they used the wrong stuff?

Old July 8th, 2009, 04:37 PM   #6
kkim

dunno... should be written down on the work order that they should have given you when you paid your bill.

how's the oil level in the sight glass?

Old July 8th, 2009, 04:38 PM   #7
athimmel
ninjette.org member

When I got off the bike after riding back to work at lunch, the level was midway up the sight glass.

Old July 8th, 2009, 05:25 PM   #8
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by athimmel View Post
When I got off the bike after riding back to work at lunch, the level was midway up the sight glass.
with the bike on a flat surface and absolutely vertical?

Old July 8th, 2009, 06:23 PM   #9
Nickds7
ninjette.org guru

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

After you check the oil levels and everything looks good.... my best guess would be the conventional oil...once you switch over to synthetic (as I did 2 days ago ) everything becomes so smooth. Maybe your wording overstates the clunkiness of the gears.
Nickds7 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2009, 06:28 PM   #10
Rayme
ninjette.org guru

Name: Remy

Motorcycle(s): '04 sv650s

It is normal that they clunk out loud ( I supposed its kind of the same noise as when you go from Neutral to first from a stop ?).

And downshifting to 2dn and 1st is also more noisy than the other gear..actually the faster you are going the louder they will be.

Old July 8th, 2009, 11:44 PM   #11
wayanlam
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

i sent a PM to kkim like a week or two ago asking the same question, i was being too lazy to start a thread and maybe not wanting to risk to sound like a noob, he he...

in the end we came to the conclusion that its just normal for the bike to make a clunk noise, just as long as its not a metal to metal grinding noise, lol.

anyhow ive noticed that if i pull hard past like 9~10k rpm in the 1st or second gear, whatever gear i go into next is often quite loud! i think it might have something to do with the speed at which the wheel is turning, compared to the engine, at the time you engage the clutch (since its usually general habit to release the throttle a little when you change gear, and on the 250 ive noticed that the engine drops in rpm very fast), so by the time you engage the clutch, release some throttle, and up/down shift, there is a big difference between the wheel, and engine speed, not sure why this would cause the "CLUNK" but it seems to do so~

if i try to keep the RPM even throughout the gear change, i find that i get a smoother transition, throughout all the gears, but no matter what i do, i always get the occasional "CLUNK" and yea, normally in the first three or four gears.
wayanlam is offline   Reply With Quote