ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old October 23rd, 2013, 06:39 PM   #1
Vince91889
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

Ninja Clutch Plates

Hi I need help fixing up my clutch. I reinstalled new clutch plates and steel clutch plates. I have realigned the U shape ends of the clutch plates together. There is no indexing (from the DIY clutch replacement of up to 2007).

My problem is that it won't grab. The clutch stays in neutral when I start it.

Any ideas?
Vince91889 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 23rd, 2013, 09:34 PM   #2
red5
ninjette.org guru

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 09 ninja 15.256

Correct number of plates? If any are missing, the operating plate will bottom out before it squeezes the clutch pack.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 24th, 2013, 06:23 AM   #3
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince91889 View Post
..........The clutch stays in neutral when I start it......
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 24th, 2013, 09:59 AM   #4
Vince91889
ninjette.org newbie

The number of plates are right. I have 5 clutch plates and 4 steel plates alternating. I think how I put them together is the only problem why they won't engage properly.

And what I mean by "it stays in neutral" is when I pull the clutch in, it stays pulled, it doesnt push back.

Is there a certain way to put the clutch plates together. I tried aligning all the clutch plates with U shaped indentation. not working.

Old October 24th, 2013, 10:10 AM   #5
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
the "u shaped indent" in the one side of each of the clutch plates is meaningless

number of plates would only effect it not fully engaging. it would not keep it from engaging at all. if you were missing a plate it would simply slip. but the lever would return.

the springs underneath the 5 bolts that hold the clutch hub in are what push the clutch hub back down, causing the clutch lever to return to its normal position. maybe the cable is stuck? did you forget to put the clutch springs in? is the linkage from the clutch release pin to the cable working?

Old October 24th, 2013, 04:52 PM   #6
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
..........And what I mean by "it stays in neutral" is when I pull the clutch in, it stays pulled, it doesnt push back............
Is it possible that the lever-shaft (part 13102) by the clutch cover is not engaging the plunge (part 46102)?

Check this out:
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showt...=127820&page=3

http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...61&postcount=3

Old October 24th, 2013, 05:49 PM   #7
Vince91889
ninjette.org newbie

No part 13102 engages the clutch rod. It's the clutch rod that doesn't push back.
I'm putting it back exactly how that visual assemble says.

Btw Motofool, just read that page, It is exactly the same problem as that guy. Will disassemble again tonight and see if your solution works. I'm pretty sure I'm putting the clutch cover on properly, so that the clutch rod works. It's just that I think the clutch rod doesn't push back when you push it in.

Old October 24th, 2013, 07:44 PM   #8
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
No part 13102 engages the clutch rod. It's the clutch rod that doesn't push back.
I'm putting it back exactly how that visual assemble says.

Btw Motofool, just read that page, It is exactly the same problem as that guy. Will disassemble again tonight and see if your solution works. I'm pretty sure I'm putting the clutch cover on properly, so that the clutch rod works. It's just that I think the clutch rod doesn't push back when you push it in.
It is strange because the only function of part 46102 is to pull the plate 13187 out against the resistance of the springs, regardless there is a sandwich of plates or not between 13187 and 13087 or how well or bad they are.
The only other problem would be that the teeth of both parts are jammed somehow and impede any relative slide.

Old October 24th, 2013, 09:41 PM   #9
Vince91889
ninjette.org newbie

So I studied that picture for a few minutes. Okay so the correct sequence is 46102 (clutch rod), 92045, and 13187 (clutch plate).

Lol I was installing it as 92045, clutch plate then clutch rod.

Damn. stupid mistake haha. Thanks a lot you guys.

Hey Motofool, you know your **** with ninjas btw. I've been in this forum for a while and I always see your responses.

(P.S. Also, I bet that guy that you were trying to help with the same problem as me did the same stupid mistake.)

Old October 24th, 2013, 09:59 PM   #10
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
...........Thanks a lot you guys........
You are welcome, Vince

Hope the thing works properly now, ...... don't forget lubricating the cable and the lever's pivot and leaving some slack to the cable (some gap at the lever).