Old May 21st, 2018, 03:40 PM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[RideApart] - Jakub Kornfeil Pulls Off Amazing Save at French Grand Prix

Jakub Kornfeil Pulls Off Amazing Save at French Grand Prix

Moto3 racer finishes portion of French Grand Prix airborne

Watching a fellow rider go down while riding in a group is pretty terrifying, especially if said fellow rider does so at high speeds while you're right on his tail and falls right in your path. Moto3 racer Jakub Kornfeil got a little taste of that fear on May 19, 2018, at the Moto3 French Grand Prix at LeMans.

MORE: French GP: Marquez Wins, Dovizioso and Zarco Crash

In the final lap of the race, a pack of riders went hard into a turn with Kornfeil and fellow racer Enea Bastiannini among them.*Bastiannini went in too hot and crashed. Kornfeil, who was hot on Bastiannini's tail, had only a fraction of a second to react to the fact that he was now careening toward a fallen racer. At this point, Kornfeil did what any one of us would do in that situation—he jumped Bastiannini and continued with the race.

RACING: Energica Founder Leads the Charge for Electric Bikes

“The first thing I was thinking of was to open the gas and stand up on the pegs,” Kornfeil said after the race. “The landing was so heavy, my rear suspension went down to its maximum ... I think I won’t ever forget this race.”

ACTION: Aprilia Failure Rate "unacceptable" Says Espargaro

Thankfully no one was injured (save for Bastiannini's poor bike), and Kornfeil went on to finish sixth. Not too shabby after that little incident. Watching the video, we're not*entirely*sure how or why Kornfeil ended up in this situation to begin with. He seems to follow Bastiannini off the track after he goes down despite the fact that he was on a seemingly fine line through the turn right before the crash. That's...odd. Target fixation, maybe? Who knows? Whatever the case may be, at least no one was hurt and he's given race fans on Twitter to flex those animated gif muscles.

Photo courtesy of Kiko Giles

More from RideApart:
     Related Stories

Click here for full story...