ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old October 13th, 2018, 06:38 PM   #1
hilli_micha
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

2006 Ninja 250 Engine ticking between 2k-4k RPM

Hello all,

I have a 2006 Ninja 250 that I have had for about a month now. Sitting at 10,333 miles. I got the bike at just around 9,900 miles, give or take.

On my last ride, I noticed a ticking sound coming from the front side of the engine that I had not noticed before. This sound only seems to come on between 2k-4k RPM and will 'typically' go away once it gets back to idle, some times it takes a moment.

Beyond the sound, the bike runs just fine as far as I can tell, but I'd certainly like to make sure it stays that way.

Here is a video of the sound in action - https://streamable.com/8mmwz
Edit: Here is another video, emphasizing the noise - https://streamable.com/4fid8
Edit: I see in the video that the idle appears to be above 1,500 RPMs, bad camera angle. I have it dialed in at 1,400-1,500.

For what it is worth, I have not adjusted the valves yet, I know that is recommended at 10,000 miles and I will be getting around to that. However, given the sound, anything else I should be looking at when I do that?
hilli_micha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2018, 07:46 PM   #2
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

You've definitely got a "ticking sound" there, although I would say it's more of a "clatter". Good job on the videos, often people post cell phone videos that are so bad you can't hear the noise they're talking about.

It sounds like something's up with the engine's Cam Chain. In the video it sounds like the Cam Chain isn't being properly tensioned which means it will lash when the engine RPMs decelerate. When you rev the engine the Cam Chain gets pulled into an smooth, organized form, but when the engine slows it sends a shock through the Cam Chain and it gets disorganized and lashes for a while, then slowly smoothes back out.

I think your first troubleshooting step should be to remove, clean, re-grease and properly re-install the Cam Chain Tensioner (following the Service Manual, base manual, procedure Chapter 4, pages 4-7 to 4-8, instead of just guessing at how the thing is supposed to be handled).

It could be as simple as a tensioner thats not doing its job.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 13th, 2018, 08:20 PM   #3
hilli_micha
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Michael

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

Thumbs up

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
You've definitely got a "ticking sound" there, although I would say it's more of a "clatter". Good job on the videos, often people post cell phone videos that are so bad you can't hear the noise they're talking about.

It sounds like something's up with the engine's Cam Chain. In the video it sounds like the Cam Chain isn't being properly tensioned which means it will lash when the engine RPMs decelerate. When you rev the engine the Cam Chain gets pulled into an smooth, organized form, but when the engine slows it sends a shock through the Cam Chain and it gets disorganized and lashes for a while, then slowly smoothes back out.

I think your first troubleshooting step should be to remove, clean, re-grease and properly re-install the Cam Chain Tensioner (following the Service Manual, base manual, procedure Chapter 4, pages 4-7 to 4-8, instead of just guessing at how the thing is supposed to be handled).

It could be as simple as a tensioner thats not doing its job.
Greg,

I think you are right. After I posted this I did some research, the sound from my end definitely sounds like a chain moving around so my research lead to the CCT causing a bit of a fuss, evidently it's a super common issue with these bikes. So I lead

I popped off my CCT, cleaned it, lubed it up real nice (with engine oil), and reinstalled as per procedure and the sound has disappeared. Fortunately the CCT looked to be in good shape, no burring or scoring, just the oil that was on it looked a bit old and gummy, which is strange the oil in the engine is only a couple of months old.

Oh well, I know now that this is something to keep a constant eye on.

Thanks for the reply!
hilli_micha is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 13th, 2018, 08:29 PM   #4
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by hilli_micha View Post
Greg,

I think you are right. After I posted this I did some research, the sound from my end definitely sounds like a chain moving around so my research lead to the CCT causing a bit of a fuss, evidently it's a super common issue with these bikes. So I lead

I popped off my CCT, cleaned it, lubed it up real nice (with engine oil), and reinstalled as per procedure and the sound has disappeared. Fortunately the CCT looked to be in good shape, no burring or scoring, just the oil that was on it looked a bit old and gummy, which is strange the oil in the engine is only a couple of months old.

Oh well, I know now that this is something to keep a constant eye on.

Thanks for the reply!
Good job. Yes, when the CCT goes for a long time (like years and years and years) without any maintenance it does get gummy/sticky. It gets this way because it hangs from up at the top of the crankcase which means it doesn't get regularly bathed in engine oil. So when it gets really good and sticky the normal backlash that the Cam Chain experiences on RPM deceleration it will "pack" the tensioner pushrod/plunger backwards up into the CCT body and there it will stay (until you come along and service it).

I use Lucas Engine Assembly Lube when I refurbish the CCT on my '05 EX250.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote