ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 9th, 2013, 08:34 PM   #1
seksninja
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Max

Motorcycle(s): 2005 Ninja 250R

Planning out my fighter project, I want Trail Tech Vapor gauges...how to mount it?

I've heard from another user here that it might be possible to mount it directly onto the bucket of a 7" headlight just drilling holes into it?

Here's the challenge though: I've seen people mounting it effectively with stuff they've fabricated...well I can't do that at all. I don't have any connections to people who can either. The tools at my disposal are a drill and a wallet, what do you guys have for me in that case?
seksninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2013, 09:07 PM   #2
jhap2009
ninjette.org member

Name: Tony

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by seksninja View Post
I've heard from another user here that it might be possible to mount it directly onto the bucket of a 7" headlight just drilling holes into it?

Here's the challenge though: I've seen people mounting it effectively with stuff they've fabricated...well I can't do that at all. I don't have any connections to people who can either. The tools at my disposal are a drill and a wallet, what do you guys have for me in that case?
Zip ties, you can even get colored ones to match the color of your bike. Just zip tie it to the left side clip-on before the controls.
jhap2009 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2013, 09:17 PM   #3
seksninja
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhap2009 View Post
Zip ties, you can even get colored ones to match the color of your bike. Just zip tie it to the left side clip-on before the controls.
Any chance of a picture of this? It's my first mechanical endeavor and it's tough to just imagine.

Old August 9th, 2013, 10:13 PM   #4
jhap2009
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Any chance of a picture of this? It's my first mechanical endeavor and it's tough to just imagine.
Sorry none at all, I thought it up as I read your question, but I would do this as I think it would be effective and cost little to no money.

Old August 9th, 2013, 10:20 PM   #5
seksninja
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Sorry none at all, I thought it up as I read your question, but I would do this as I think it would be effective and cost little to no money.
It's all good. I'll see what I can do. I'm just hoping for some kind of definitive resolution to come from this thread so I don't spend the money on the light and gauges to find out I'm screwed trying to mount it fabrication-free.

Old August 9th, 2013, 10:24 PM   #6
jhap2009
ninjette.org member

Quote:
It's all good. I'll see what I can do. I'm just hoping for some kind of definitive resolution to come from this thread so I don't spend the money on the light and gauges to find out I'm screwed trying to mount it fabrication-free.
If you go to the trail tech website they do offer a dash for the vapor gauge that also includes mounting and dummy light, it costs like 50 buck so really not a bad option but I myself like the zip tie Idea and will probably go with that.

Old August 9th, 2013, 10:28 PM   #7
seksninja
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
If you go to the trail tech website they do offer a dash for the vapor gauge that also includes mounting and dummy light, it costs like 50 buck so really not a bad option but I myself like the zip tie Idea and will probably go with that.
From the description, it appears the dummy light attachment comes with the same bracket that ships with just the computer by itself. Even if it doesn't they offer the mounting bracket for $5. The other thing is that mounting bracket is designed for dirtbike handlebars, not a streetbike which is why the tutorial for setting these things up on ninja250.org just says "for mounting, get creative with pieces of metal" and that's it. Mega disappointing.

Old August 9th, 2013, 10:32 PM   #8
Klondike1020
Intrepid Adventurer

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2004 GSXR 750 , 71 cb350streettracker, 07 Polaris Predator 500

Here is an idea

I have clip ins on my bike

So I used some heavy steel wire about 3/8 thick

Heated it with a little propane torch in a vice and bent loops in the ends of it about the diameter so that the oem handle bar bolts would fit trough it

I then bent the wire in a way so that it would support my gauges where I want them and bolted it to the triple tree using the original handle bar bolts !

No drill required! Just something to hold the wire a small torch and needle nose pliers !

Jimmy rigged but doesn't look bad
Klondike1020 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 9th, 2013, 10:48 PM   #9
jhap2009
ninjette.org member

^^^ That's not a bad idea either. I plan on building a street fighter/ cafe racer, so all these ideas will definitely be useful in the near future.
Good luck seksninja with your build, I am definitely interested in how you set that gauge up make sure you keep us posted here.

Old August 10th, 2013, 01:28 AM   #10
jhap2009
ninjette.org member

Check out thus link it costs a little bit, but it looks like it would be a good mount for something like the vapor gauge
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0045L...AC_SX110_SY190

Old August 10th, 2013, 09:16 AM   #11
seksninja
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Check out thus link it costs a little bit, but it looks like it would be a good mount for something like the vapor gauge
http://www.amazon.com/gp/aw/d/B0045L...AC_SX110_SY190
I'll definitely post pictures/start a new thread when I get to actual assembly.

That handlebar mount seems promising, but since I have stock handlebars my only available space is taken for my RAM mount that I use for my phone/GPS, but maybe there's some other way to use it.

Old August 10th, 2013, 09:30 AM   #12
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Post a pic of the area you want to mount it.

Old August 10th, 2013, 09:41 AM   #13
seksninja
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
Post a pic of the area you want to mount it.
Ideally, I was hoping to mount it in position 1 (circled) by drilling into the back of the headlight. I'd love for it to be in position 2, where this guy's speedo ACTUALLY is, but I have no idea how to manage that without fabrication.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg nastyninja2.jpg (121.0 KB, 17 views)

Old August 10th, 2013, 10:01 AM   #14
fishdip

Quote:
Ideally, I was hoping to mount it in position 1 (circled) by drilling into the back of the headlight. I'd love for it to be in position 2, where this guy's speedo ACTUALLY is, but I have no idea how to manage that without fabrication.
Can you post some pics looking down head on and what not.

Old August 10th, 2013, 10:18 AM   #15
seksninja
ninjette.org newbie

^^^ Okay then, example #2 (again, still just planning so I have to rely on Google Images for other people's builds). Different headlight, but same size. Again, my current plan is to drill into the back of the light assuming the mounting holes on the Vapor aren't too wide.

What this guy did (which I can't) is he got a new handlebar that runs across the steering column like a dirt bike so he was able to mount it as the makers of the Vapor intended. Not an option for me, I don't want new handlebars and that's pricey.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg DSC00467.jpg (138.3 KB, 17 views)

Old August 10th, 2013, 10:44 AM   #16
fishdip

Quote:
^^^ Okay then, example #2 (again, still just planning so I have to rely on Google Images for other people's builds). Different headlight, but same size. Again, my current plan is to drill into the back of the light assuming the mounting holes on the Vapor aren't too wide.

What this guy did (which I can't) is he got a new handlebar that runs across the steering column like a dirt bike so he was able to mount it as the makers of the Vapor intended. Not an option for me, I don't want new handlebars and that's pricey.
The only down side I see mounting it so far forward is being able to read it.
Why not get something like this http://www.motodracing.com/gps_camera_mount.html
Then just bolt on the unit

Old August 10th, 2013, 10:46 AM   #17
seksninja
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
The only down side I see mounting it so far forward is being able to read it.
Why not get something like this http://www.motodracing.com/gps_camera_mount.html
Then just bolt on the unit
That's perfect! It fits onto the center bolt of our bikes?

Old August 10th, 2013, 10:49 AM   #18
fishdip

Quote:
That's perfect! It fits onto the center bolt of our bikes?
No idea

Fits ALL motorcycles with a center bolt no greater than 1-11/16 in diameter and where you can see down the center bolt to the front fender (may not fit if you have an obstructing steering damper).

Old August 10th, 2013, 11:03 AM   #19
seksninja
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
No idea

Fits ALL motorcycles with a center bolt no greater than 1-11/16 in diameter and where you can see down the center bolt to the front fender (may not fit if you have an obstructing steering damper).

It may fit, but our bikes have a cover over that hole which they're saying might be an obstruction. Damn

Old August 10th, 2013, 11:23 AM   #20
fishdip

Quote:
It may fit, but our bikes have a cover over that hole which they're saying might be an obstruction. Damn
Drill it out?