ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old December 8th, 2010, 12:30 AM   #1
SV_Hadder
ninjette.org member

Name: Zach

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250

Question Custom SS Brake Lines - $33.95 shipped - Would You Trust Them?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/NINJA...item2c5957b629

Claim to have a lifetime warranty, individually tested to 3000 PSI, and they are DOT certified.... and made in Canada. For a little more than the cost of 1 Galfer SS line, I could get their SS lines for the front AND rear of my bike.

My only concern is quality.. I mean the last thing you want to have is a brake line burst or a fitting come loose. So my question is, would you guys trust them or not? It seems like a pretty good deal if they are quality lines.

Cheers!

Old December 8th, 2010, 12:49 AM   #2
scotty
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): Yahama v star 650 classic

If you have to ask, you should know the answer.

Looking at the pictures, they do look nice but seems like they are a plastic line. Not full metal. Remeber, these are your breakes we are talking about. You don't want to risk buying something that COULD fail and caus harm to you.

Old December 9th, 2010, 10:17 AM   #3
jonthechron
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): magHitVE

Yeah, I would definitly give them a try, if they are made in Canada and offer a lifetime warranty, they must be good lines!

Edit: I was just looking them up and they have been in business for a good 18 years, at least. Selling on eBay for 11 of those years.

Here is a quote from thier website:

"Stock rubber flex lines expand under heat and pressure, not to mention most of them are tired or sometimes even cracked after years of service. Apex stainless steel brake line provides a consistent brake pressure, precision brake modulation and quicker pedal response Our stainless steel brake lines are made of Teflon inner line, covered with a layer of stainless steel woven braid and clear vinyl sleeve is bonded on top, providing resistant against abrasion and deterioration by environmental elements.

All APEX stainless steel brake lines kit come with limited life time warranty, lines are individually tested and kit comes will banjo bolts and washerif needed.
STAINLESS STEEL BRAKE LINES KIT" - rennsportautoparts.com/
jonthechron is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 9th, 2010, 06:46 PM   #4
SV_Hadder
ninjette.org member

Seems pretty legit then, huh? I just might have to give them a try!

Old December 12th, 2010, 04:22 PM   #5
SV_Hadder
ninjette.org member

Well, I went ahead and bit the bullet.. Both front and rear lines are on their way! I'll be sure to let you guys know how they turn out; I'm expecting them to be pretty damn good since Jonthechron stated that they have been in business for about 18 years!

If you don't ever hear back from me again.... well..... it will be safe to say that the brake lines were faulty and no one else should purchase them.

Old December 12th, 2010, 07:55 PM   #6
KURT
Resident Old Guy

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): sold

Thanks for being the guinea pig!

If when you get them, if they have a stock number or description on the packing slip, perhaps you could post that as well...
KURT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2010, 10:47 AM   #7
SV_Hadder
ninjette.org member

Somebody has to be the guinea pig. Whenever they come in I'll be sure to take some pics and post any numbers that come on the packaging.

Also, the price for 2 lines, shipped to my door..... $56.80. You would be hard pressed to get ONE line for that price. Anyway, looking forward to getting them in, hopefully before Christmas.

Cheers!

Old December 13th, 2010, 02:10 PM   #8
nate-bama
North Alabama Mtn. ryder

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2006

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty View Post
If you have to ask, you should know the answer.

Looking at the pictures, they do look nice but seems like they are a plastic line. Not full metal. Remeber, these are your breakes we are talking about. You don't want to risk buying something that COULD fail and caus harm to you.
Bet the dealer loves you^

Can't wait to read your review, my brakes would love some stainless

Old December 13th, 2010, 02:55 PM   #9
scotty

Quote:
Originally Posted by nate-bama View Post
Bet the dealer loves you^

Can't wait to read your review, my brakes would love some stainless
Haha, I dont go near the dealer!! I just know MOST of the time, you get what you paid for. I am interested in the results though!

Old December 14th, 2010, 01:49 AM   #10
ithaca00
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250 (street), 1994 EX250 (Race), 2008 250R (Race), 2000 250 (project), 1991 EL250 (a cruiser!)

The rear brake locks up easily enough as it is with the rubber line, I don't think you need the stainless line on the rear... Heck even most racers don't use rear steel lines.
ithaca00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 14th, 2010, 07:33 PM   #11
SV_Hadder
ninjette.org member

I figured for the price, I couldn't go wrong with getting the rear SS line as well. I mean $21.95? Plus, stock rubber lines are SUPPOSED to be replaced every 3 or 4 years, so it couldn't hurt.. plus you are supposed to get better feel with the SS lines. After my dad hopped off his 07 EX250 and rode my bike he said my back brake was pretty numb compared to his, so hopefully this line will help out some..

But yeah, I know the rear is easy to lock with rubber lines

Old December 15th, 2010, 01:27 AM   #12
s2kenny
Lean in

Name: Ken

Motorcycle(s): Pearl White 250r, Raven R6, Black 600RR, Silver Ninja 250

Honestly, I wouldn't buy them. I absolutely love ebay for many products (exhaust, windscreen, fairings, mirrors, lights) but when it comes to things that could compromise your safety (brakes, brake lines) I wouldn't buy an off brand just because it's cheap. Stick with Galfer, Spiegler, Goodrich, can't go wrong.
s2kenny is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 15th, 2010, 05:58 AM   #13
KURT
Resident Old Guy

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): sold

Yeah, these are made in Canada. Probably by under-age Canadian Moosehead drinkers, in Ottawa sweatshops, eh?
KURT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 5th, 2011, 10:19 AM   #14
SV_Hadder
ninjette.org member

Alright guys, I got my SS lines installed!

The lines came in a shrink-wrapped, "APEX BRAKES", box. Everything looks to be of very high quality, and the banjo bolts and crush washers were provided.

Installation was pretty easy, and I couldn't wait to test them out.

The rear brake did not noticeably feel any different, but I haven't put too many miles on yet, so maybe I will take notice eventually. As for the front.... my front rotor is warped, so it's hard to tell how much improvement there was, but from what I can tell, it was worth the money... NOW, I have to try and find an unwarped rotor..

BTW, when I was e-mailing the seller on Ebay, he said he had measurements for my 01 Ninja 250 lines, but I gave him the measurements that I made myself anyway.

If any of you guys have questions let me know!

Old January 5th, 2011, 02:56 PM   #15
scotty

Sweet! Glad to see they worked or for you! Can you post pictures up so people can see them?

Old January 9th, 2011, 07:46 PM   #16
SV_Hadder
ninjette.org member

Yup I will get some pics up probably by this weekend!

Old January 14th, 2011, 12:16 AM   #17
bigluelok
ninjette.org member

Name: Luis

Motorcycle(s): none yet

pics man where are the pics i may do this when i get my bike.

Old January 17th, 2011, 10:31 AM   #18
SV_Hadder
ninjette.org member

Pics are on the way!

Old January 17th, 2011, 10:46 AM   #19
SV_Hadder
ninjette.org member

Here are the pics!

Old January 17th, 2011, 03:11 PM   #20
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2011, 10:37 PM   #21
Agustin
ninjette.org member

Name: Agustin

Motorcycle(s): 1993 Kawasaki Ninja EX250 (sold), 2007 Yamaha R1, 2003 Suzuki GSXR-600

My feedback, I bought these lines as well for my Ninja. They are stainless steel lines, not plastic, the color comes from the sheating used. Compared to the Spiegler lines on my other bike they don't offer that "bling" factor of the name brand and anodized banjo fittings. I took care of that by using some anodized Spiegler bolts I had sitting around from my R1.

All in all I like the improvement in lever feel, it's more progressive now and I feel that none of my lever pull effort is being lost. This combined with new front pads and a good bleed job will improve braking by a good amount.
Agustin is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 20th, 2011, 11:24 PM   #22
wayanlam

Name: Wayan

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Z250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Agustin View Post

you seem to have a bolt missing on the back foot rest which also supports the exhaust? i guess...

do they also sell the 2009 model brake lines? same price? i haven't gotten around to really looking up their products.

i looked up the galfer website, and cant for the life of me figure out which brake lines are for our 09 ninja 250s, lol.... maybe im being blond...

i believe that just getting the front SS line is good enough performance wise, but most people would also get the back one more for the looks, rather than the increased back wheel breaking, imo.

Old January 20th, 2011, 11:30 PM   #23
SV_Hadder
ninjette.org member

The SS lines that I bought were custom made; meaning I went to my garage, and measured the length of the lines, and made note of the type/style of fitting that I would need. I'm having a bit of trouble finding their ad on ebay, though. It is very tricky using ebay search sometimes. Good luck!