ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 8th, 2010, 04:18 PM   #1
2010zxrwolf
ninjette.org member

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2010 zxr250r (sold), 1994 zxr250c

Have you noticed??

Having recently been forced to make my ninjette my main mode of transport, I have to say that I have noticed a serious issue with drivers in OZ. On the weekends they are normal, tuesday wednesday and thursday and standard, but Monday and Friday seems to bring out the "inner" idiot in every car driver I see. We are currently having the problem of twice the number of accidents on a friday and a few extra on a monday. Has anyone else noticed this?

Old June 8th, 2010, 06:35 PM   #2
Ninjalee
ninjette.org member

Name: Coralee

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 Ninja

Hi,
I live in Canada and I have been wanting to drive my bike to work lately because of the great weather we've been having, but I am very nervous when it comes to battling the morning and evening rush hour. Seems like people drive very recklessly at those times and I have noticed that traffic seems heavier here on mondays and fridays compared to other days of the week.
Ninjalee is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2010, 06:43 PM   #3
miks
I'm lovin' it.

Name: Mike

Motorcycle(s): '09 Black 250R

Totally agree. Pretty crazy down south here aswell, but its up to me in the end.

Father: You can't do both son.
miks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2010, 07:18 PM   #4
Perf_White_Gt
ninjette.org member

Name: Christopher

Motorcycle(s): Trek Alpha 1.2

some people have shortened work weeks... so those people wanna get home on their friday (thursday) and the others just wanna get the FUUU outta the office on a friday... cause we all hate the office (or job site...)
Perf_White_Gt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2010, 07:20 PM   #5
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perf_White_Gt View Post
... cause we all hate the office (or job site...)
speak for yourself... I love my office/job site now!
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2010, 07:24 PM   #6
Perf_White_Gt
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kkim View Post
speak for yourself... I love my office/job site now!
You live in paradise... you are not counted...

Old June 8th, 2010, 08:01 PM   #7
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Perf_White_Gt View Post
You live in paradise... you are not counted...
+1

I challenge anyone here to ride in Toronto and not shake your head at the sheer stupidity that is displayed here on a regular basis.

See...we have a large mix of different driver types here. We have the shy and timid drivers....the super defensive/nervous drivers...the new, "i don't know what the hell's going on" type of drivers....the super aggressive "i'm a racecar superhero" drivers (this one's me ).....the distracted "i'm sipping a latte, while checking my email" drivers....the "i'm painting my toe nails while eating a bowl of noodles" drivers....the "zomg it's bright out and I need to find my sunglasses under the passenger seat" drivers....the "don't make me come back there you lousy kids!" drivers...and last but not least (and my own personal favorite) the "i'm too high to walk properly but here I am driving a City of Toronto garbage truck" drivers.

Oh and we have buses. Lots and lots of buses.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #8
seel
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Paul

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

I live in Brissy too, and I've definitely noticed that Mondays and Fridays are scary on the road!! So much so, that I've started leaving earlier in the morning to get to work, and staying at work later so I miss the worst of it! I'm sure the amount of traffic has increased dramatically too, as though there is some rebellion against public transport!
seel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 8th, 2010, 08:52 PM   #9
2010zxrwolf
ninjette.org member

Name: Timm

Motorcycle(s): 2010 zxr250r (sold), 1994 zxr250c

I'm doing the same on the monday and the friday, but really they need to do something about it. That said, the public transport system is average at best, and if upgraded could see the road become a safer place to be. I tend to get most fridays off, but it really doesn't save me from the monday stupidity. the worst seems to be the north side, from my experience..

Old June 8th, 2010, 10:21 PM   #10
Perf_White_Gt
ninjette.org member

Houston and San Antonio (texas) are pretty bad... ive been out driving around and on more than one occasion i have saw a motorcyclist almost get run over.

on a few other occasions i have saw the cage driver go away with a big ass boot mark in the side of the car ..

Old June 9th, 2010, 06:51 AM   #11
BlueThunder18
ninjette.org member

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2006 Suzuki Boulevard C50T

Commuting times are very nerve-racking. In the morning too many drivers aren't awake yet, and in the evening most have "checked out" already.
BlueThunder18 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2010, 10:20 AM   #12
Hadyn
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): '06 Yellow 250r

I don't mind commuters as much as I mind the 'Sunday drivers' and tourists. Commuters are like robots. They're always in the same place at the same time, taking the same route in their same lanes at the same speed. They may be inattentive as they read their Kindle, drink their Starbucks and eat their McDonald's, but they know exactly where they're going and usually won't do anything crazy. I find them much easier to predict which makes it easier to drive defensively.

Sunday drivers who go out on the weekends with no destination or plan are the ones that worry me. They're liable to decide that they suddenly NEED to exit RIGHT NOW and cut across 4 lanes of traffic to get there, or completely disregard speed limits and traffic signs, or feel like they need to show off and race a crotch rocket. Tourists are just always lost and unfamiliar with lane shifts and merges and often getting stuck in turn-only lanes or stopping in merge lanes. The weekend is also high time for the drunks to be on the roads.
Posted via Mobile Device
Hadyn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2010, 10:27 AM   #13
drowe531
ninjette.org guru

Name: David

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250 (sold); 2008 Plasma Blue Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadyn View Post
I don't mind commuters as much as I mind the 'Sunday drivers' and tourists. Commuters are like robots. They're always in the same place at the same time, taking the same route in their same lanes at the same speed. They may be inattentive as they read their Kindle, drink their Starbucks and eat their McDonald's, but they know exactly where they're going and usually won't do anything crazy. I find them much easier to predict which makes it easier to drive defensively.

Sunday drivers who go out on the weekends with no destination or plan are the ones that worry me. They're liable to decide that they suddenly NEED to exit RIGHT NOW and cut across 4 lanes of traffic to get there, or completely disregard speed limits and traffic signs, or feel like they need to show off and race a crotch rocket. Tourists are just always lost and unfamiliar with lane shifts and merges and often getting stuck in turn-only lanes or stopping in merge lanes. The weekend is also high time for the drunks to be on the roads.
Posted via Mobile Device

As much as I shouldn't admit it, when I'm tired taking my car to work I can be in zombie mode but know exactly what route i'm taking what exit i'm getting off because its always the same. There seems to be lessy jerky movement in the morning at least, but going home everyone wants to switch lanes to get ahead one car
drowe531 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 9th, 2010, 11:27 AM   #14
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hadyn View Post
Posted via Mobile Device
Ah good point!

Some of these Sunday drivers usually get out during "off" hours during the weekday and wreak havoc as well. I find this is more prevalent in the suburbs in my area, but depending on where you go, not only will you run into a whole fleet of people with no clear direction or route...but you'll also run into the "new drivers" that are out getting some practice time.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2010, 08:17 AM   #15
andrewexd
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 07 GSXR600 (N250 sold :( )

what annoys me more is the sheer amount of traffic when I go home from school... I'm used to the idiots by now.
andrewexd is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2010, 08:34 AM   #16
bdavison
Wartown, USA

Name: Bryan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R SE, 2007 Ninja 650R, and assorted other bikes

Yeah, I have pretty much formed a list of roads that are considered passable and those that are not based on traffic and driver patterns.

Like for instance..4:30pm to 6pm, no rides down Watson Blvd, because all the military base traffic is getting off work. Same goes for holidays. I take an alternate route during these times down the back roads to avoid the traffic.

No rides down Carl Vinson Blvd, saturdays between 2-4pm because thats when all the rice burning teenagers that just got their license are coming out of the DMV office after taking their test.

Never EVER ride down Vineville Ave in Macon, GA, because that road is a death trap for anyone on two wheels. There are three lanes going right through the city, and they have LED signs overhead with a check or X mark that tell you which lanes are open going what direction...If you make it down that road without dieing, you should get a prize at the end.

Davis Rd during any highschool activity, especially football games.

I also know there are certain locations that require extra caution when riding by....such as.
Slow down for any SONIC.. because every teenager with a fart muffler is going to come ripping out of there without even looking.
Slow down in any Wal-Mart parking lot...duh.
Never park your bike next to a ricer, conversion van, or old lady car.
bdavison is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2010, 09:07 AM   #17
tjkamper
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

Mondays, Fridays and don't forget any day before a holiday = BAD DRIVERS.