ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 4th, 2009, 01:57 PM   #1
kawibelle
ninjette.org member

Name: Kelly

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Candy Plasma Blue Ninja 250R

Newbie Questions...

Ok, I don't see a forum for newbies so feel free to move this...

Everyone I know has been riding forever, and I have been around bikes since before I can remember. I have never riden anything, not even dirt bikes. I was ALWAYS on the back. I never knew anyone that had anything small and crappy enough for me to learn on and I was petrified of dropping anyone's bike that I knew. So, now I have my permit, am registered for the MSF course in one week, and will have my bike in 2-3 weeks. I'm lucky enough to live in a fairly rural area, have lots of places to practice in my housing development, and have a 2.5 mile ride to work, on side roads. I'm assuming I'll be tooling around in the parking lot for most of the summer but everyone keeps laughing and telling me I'll be riding with the rest of them in a couple weeks! Unfortunately, I don't really know anyone who remembers what its like to be a new rider!

What was your first couple of months like? How long did it take those of you who never rode before to be comfortable enough to ride on the road? I am not in any rush to get out there on day long trips or major riding until I'm good and ready (I still have a spot on the back of my bf's wide glide!)
kawibelle is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2009, 02:02 PM   #2
kkim

Every one's abilities differ. Def take the MSF course to learn the basics, but after that, ride what you feel comfortable with. Learn at your own pace.

You need to be clear headed and confident once you start venturing out into potentially dangerous situations. Master the basics, then move out to short trips. When you're ready for day long rides, you'll know it.

have fun, ride safe
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #3
Cali619
Giggity Giggity

Name: Ryam

Motorcycle(s): 08 ninja 250R aka Hiryu

I first started off riding back streets while breaking in the engine, and eventually once the mechanics like shifting/breaking etc. becomes like second nature you can focus more on whats around you(S.E.E), I took it to the freeway and just got used to higher speed/traffic gradually.
When your with a group just chill in the back and dont play keep up, I am sure everyone will wait at the intersections.
Facebook DY Fender chop, Danmoto CB slip-on w/baffle, Airbox removed, Kleen-air removed, shimmed needles, Mikuni #117.5 Main jets, K&N RU-1822 air filter pods
Cali619 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2009, 02:04 PM   #4
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
You are definetly taking the right aproach and taking things slow. Have your bf st up some cons in a parking lot and practice doing wide figure 8's so you can get used to leaning while turning and also set up a line to stop at to get used to downshifting and aplying the brakes at the same time.
Take it slow till you build your confidence up and you will be fine.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2009, 02:06 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

I think you definitely posted in the right place, no worries! One thread you may want to check out is the riding skills stick thread in this section; it has some links to some decent threads about learning to ride.

Sounds to me like you're on the right track and have the right attitude. MSF will give you the basics in terms of how to operate the bike, and from then on it's really up to you to progress at whatever pace you feel comfortable. After MSF I tried to ride almost every day, there was a nice 30ish mile twisty road not far from where we used to live, and I'd go up and back it almost every night after getting home from work (would just get it back in the garage by the time it was dark). I'd also try and take longer trips on the weekend to interesting places when I could make the time.

I also was fortunate to fall in with a group of folks much more experienced than I was, which helped quite a bit as well. There are some risks there, in that you can't let yourself to be tempted to ride over your head just to keep up, but if you can manage that temptation, there's no quicker way to learn than to watch someone more skilled than you and learning from them. I think from you being on the back of a bike for so long already, you've got some innate understanding about what motorcycling is like, which in some ways may make this an easier learning process for you. Good luck!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2009, 02:08 PM   #6
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

I never took the courses but I had a nice enough cousin that taught me everything that he had learned. So for the first couple of days I took the non-busiest side roads to the closest empty parking lot and rode around for an hour or two every day - practicing slow speed turns, accelerating, shifting, emergency stops etc.

After that, I made my way onto the bigger side streets and continued to ride around for a couple of hours a day. Once you get comfortable with slow/medium speeds and braking you'll probably know it anyways. At that point, higher speeds on regular roads with traffic is just the next step. That's why the 250 is perfect - forgiving and not really intimidating enough to scare you with its power. If you're gonna be riding alot, I'd also recommend taking these baby steps and practicing in the rain (after the first 15 minutes of it).

A month and 1500-2000kms later, I went for my first group ride. Been riding with a permagrin ever since.

So just keep riding till you're confident in your own abilities... cause you definitely can't rely on the cagers...
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2009, 02:44 PM   #7
Grn99Kawi
ninjette.org sage

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2000 Honda CBR600F4 (sold) 1999 Ninja 250 (sold)

The Ninja 250 is very forgiving.. I had never ridden bikes before, but I have been on PWCs for a few years, bicycles and of course cars.. comfortability was never a problem.. and, perhaps unlike most on here, I just hopped on and drove around my neighborhood.. I still have not been on parkways (LI parkways are different than more rural areas lol) but I have been on 4 lane and 6 lane 'local' roads... I like to get on and ride.

The MSF course around here is way too much money IMO... I could see $100.. but $350 is way too much...

enjoy your bike.. at your pace.

1999 Kawi Racing Green Ninja 250 sold
Grn99Kawi is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2009, 07:34 PM   #8
TrueFaith
ninjette.org sage

Name: Wayne

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Honda CBR250R

I wouldn't recommend riding with other people until you feel comfortable on the bike by yourself. You don't need more stress while you're learning and other riders can also be jerks when you're new. The MSF course will build your confidence and practicing in parking lots and rural roads will do the rest. It takes as long as it takes - don't rush it.
TrueFaith is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2009, 07:38 PM   #9
nmd003
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250R

I'd have to say I got comfortable riding like my 3rd day or so. I had ridden dirtbikes and atvs a handful of times before and had also ridden on the back of a motorcycle a few times. I essentially taught myself; I know how my bike works, therefore I know how to use it. The main thing for me was getting used to turns. After that, I was golden. I'm sure the MSF course is a great learning experience, but I pretty much almost maxed out 2 of my credit cards just buying the bike and my gear, so I couldn't afford the $300.

I practiced u-turns in a culdesac for about 5 minutes and got comfortable with that. Putting myself through a 110 degree turn a few times also definitely helped me gain confidence with leaning. I've only got about 200 miles under my belt and I'd say I'm comfortable riding on the back roads. Next step is getting on the freeway. Weather is doing a good job of preventing that though :'(
nmd003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2009, 08:47 PM   #10
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by TrueFaith View Post
I wouldn't recommend riding with other people until you feel comfortable on the bike by yourself. You don't need more stress while you're learning and other riders can also be jerks when you're new. The MSF course will build your confidence and practicing in parking lots and rural roads will do the rest. It takes as long as it takes - don't rush it.
Agreed. There's also the possibility of you trying to "keep up" with more experienced riders and possibly overstepping your abilities.

I am a new rider. I literally passed my course one month ago tomorrow. I had zero experience even sitting on a motorcycle before I bought my ninja 250 last october. Granted I'm a fairly quick learner, and I've been driving for more than 10 years, but I've been riding on the main roads for about 3 weeks now, and spent most of saturday flying around on the freeway at 85 mph (I live in a big city so this is somewhat "challenging"). The key is to take it slowly and to not push yourself until you are comfortable enough in your abilities to operate the basic controls of the motorcycle. Everything else is similar to driving. Check your mirrors, check your blind spots, and maintain a safe following distance (this is KEY).

Get comfortable on the bike and definitely take the course. It really makes learning on your own easier, as most of the basics will already be chizzled into your brain.

It's also important to realize that being on a motorcycle isn't about being fast. In most cases you'd probably be faster in your car. If you're rushing or you're late for something...either accept being late, or find another way to get there. Right now, the entire motorcycle experience is about learning. Treat it like a sport that requires you to attend practice on a regular basis, and before you know it you'll be out there grinning your eyeballs out! Take your time and good luck!
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2009, 05:03 AM   #11
kawibelle
ninjette.org member

Fortunately, my riding group consists of my bf, my dad, my brother, my brother in law, and my bf's brother & wife, all on harley cruisers. I'm the baby of the group at 30... we're a bunch of old farts!

Old May 5th, 2009, 05:30 AM   #12
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I remember my first bike. I rode in our yard for the mile few hundred miles. I was 13. The only other riding I could do was when my dad took me to the airport and I could ride there as he worked on his plane. After I got pretty good my dad would take me to AMA events but I still couldn't ride on the street.

My kids were the same way. They learned to ride in the yard, then the woods, now they are pretty good on the street.

It only takes time. You should have no problem (after the MSF) riding with a bunch of Harley Cruisers. I doubt they are going to try to make you ride over your head and get hurt. The area you live in has some beautiful countryside with some great roads (I have family in that area).

At 30 you shouldn't be calling yourself an old fart. It makes us old farts feel really old.

Old May 5th, 2009, 05:36 AM   #13
kawibelle
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post

At 30 you shouldn't be calling yourself an old fart. It makes us old farts feel really old.

LOL!!! You're right, but compared to a lot of 250 owners at 17 or 18 yrs old, I feel like an old fart! That's what's so nice about hanging out with harley riders... I'm young compared to them!

The area I live in now is the reason I've finally decided to get my license. I'm right on the west edge of Allentown so the roads around here are perfect. I grew up in Bucks County but lived in NJ for the last eight yrs. There was no way I wanted to learn to ride in jersey traffic!!!!!!

Old May 5th, 2009, 06:38 AM   #14
NICUNinja
ninjette.org member

Name: Trista

Motorcycle(s): '08 EX650R Green Kawasaki ninja

Hey Kelly, I just started riding this year. Pretty much the same story as yours. I had ridden on the back of my husbands bike for the last 20 years and at 35 years old decided to learn. After the second time out (in the country) I was able to get the bike up to 5th gear and 90-100 km/h. My husband followed me aroung in the car for a couple of rides and then by about the 5th time out he took his bike out too and followed me, keeping a safe distance behind and kinda blocking people from following too close to me.
I take the equivalent of the MSF course this week. Good luck, enjoy
Take your time and don't let anyone else set your pace. I'm sure with an experienced family of riders that you'll have loads of support.
NICUNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2009, 07:13 AM   #15
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

Kelly as Kelly said ( O.o ) take everything at your own pace. You are the one riding the bike not everyone else.

I started out with the MSF, got that out of the way. Got my motorcycle and practiced in a parkinglot. A lot. I lived in the middle of a city so getting there was always a challenge. Usually I drove while my bf rode my bike to the parkinglot. From there I took over. Then we went out on some back roads.

So your heading in the right direction!

There are some videos out that you can look at too. Ride Like A Pro is a good series. They do have one for the Tail of the dragon I believe.

Good Luck, have fun.

Old May 5th, 2009, 07:34 AM   #16
kawibelle
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BlueTyke View Post

There are some videos out that you can look at too. Ride Like A Pro is a good series. They do have one for the Tail of the dragon I believe.

Good Luck, have fun.
Yeah, I just ordered Learn to Ride, Ride Like a Pro V, and Ride Like a Pro on the Dragon. They have a lot of really good exercises and tips to practice in parking lots. I won't be taking my bike on the dragon (yet!) but my bf and I watched that one together. The footage of the guy on his full dresser gold wing is AMAZING! He put the sport bikes to shame!!!!!

Old May 5th, 2009, 08:01 AM   #17
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawibelle View Post
He put the sport bikes to shame!!!!!
lol
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2009, 08:22 AM   #18
kawibelle
ninjette.org member

I actually thought I might hurl watching the dvd through his on-board camera as he took those turns...

Old May 5th, 2009, 08:25 AM   #19
BlueTyke
So slow I'm first!

Name: Sunny

Motorcycle(s): 06 Kawasaki Ninja EX250

I know Jerry and Donna the Doc. Well... not know know but I am on Donna's forum. They do classes and seminars in Florida. They are also opening up some schools in Texas I think... They are good people and know their stuff.

Old May 5th, 2009, 08:30 AM   #20
Realirony
That New Kid

Name: Matthew

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja250R

The biggest shock to me really when I first took my bike out the day I got it home was "woa, this thing is alot wider and heavier than a bicycle" For some reason I was expecting it to be smaller, thinner, and such. For some reason I dunno why that went through my head first.
I rode to the stop sign at the end of my straight, level road (about 1 mile) and then rounded the stop sign. My other biggest "woa" was, 35 mph on a bike feels ALOT faster than 35mph in a car. I was afraid to go past 45 mph cause I thought this 200 lbs+ bike was gonna just fall over and scrap me under the bike for yards and I would ruin the bike and hurt myself beyond repair. It wasnt until I did some physics reading and realized that they bike is never ever gonna plunge into the ground on its own. It wasnt until a week or so of riding that I realized that I actually have to PUSH the bike into the ground to get it to corner, so I know it wont fall over on the road on its on.
I will say that after riding for the 5 months that I have been, I've noticed how much cagers really dont notice us, 2nd day I had the bike some dude in a big SUV blew pass me on a double yellow and almost pushed me off the road trying to pass me... buncha punks >.> I have become a better cager to other bikers from my experiences though, running interference for them at lights, and allowing them enough room to change lanes and such. And sometimes even playing sweeper (i think thats the term) for them on the freeway. heh

Old May 5th, 2009, 08:33 AM   #21
tlhamon
ninjette.org member

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): None Yet

I was terrified my first couple of months, even though I had ridden a dirt bike when I was a kid, being on the road was a lot different. When I bought my Buell Lightning, I was afraid to ride it because it was so powerful (I'm 5'2", 120 lbs). With the 250, I finally feel comfortable. I wish the engine were a bit bigger, but I'm very happy with the bike for my physical stature.

Old May 5th, 2009, 09:00 AM   #22
kawibelle
ninjette.org member

I think the 250 will be really good for my confidence and let me focus on technique instead of worrying about the bike itself. My feet are flat on the ground when I sit on it (I'm 5'7", 125 lbs) and the weight isn't intimidating.

Ahhhhh! Another boston!!! Here's my girlie!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg l_3e6b37489ee8093ef9fcc3794cf23e69.jpg (58.6 KB, 3 views)

Old May 5th, 2009, 10:16 AM   #23
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawibelle View Post
I think the 250 will be really good for my confidence and let me focus on technique instead of worrying about the bike itself. My feet are flat on the ground when I sit on it (I'm 5'7", 125 lbs) and the weight isn't intimidating.

Ahhhhh! Another boston!!! Here's my girlie!
LOL that's a great sweater!
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2009, 04:47 PM   #24
Techno250
bikeless n00b

Name: Woody

Motorcycle(s): None yet. My dream machine is a BLUE 250R.

Great stuff in this thread! Filing for future reference!

Old May 5th, 2009, 05:49 PM   #25
tjkamper

Name: Travis

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

After the MSF Course you should be very comfortable. I recommend riding on rural roads off peak hours for a couple of days to get some more confidence at a little bit higher speed than the MSF Course allows. Then you should be fine. Ride off Peak hours, and stay off the freeway until you are confortable.

However, I recommend getting on the freeway as soon as you are not affraid of the cagers. The best way to get confident with the concept of counter steering is at high speed.

Good luck. Get some gear. Have fun.
tjkamper is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #26
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

I had to tell myself that the more I stayed calm the easier it was.

When I started driving I had a 5 spd. Even though I knew how to drive one my Dad insisted I start driving with one to appreciate the privilege of riding. I found that when I was out in the middle of traffic you have no choice but to figure it out, and quickly. I understand that technique probably doesn't work well for most people, but it might be something to think about.
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2009, 05:56 PM   #27
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by tjkamper View Post
After the MSF Course you should be very comfortable. I recommend riding on rural roads off peak hours for a couple of days to get some more confidence at a little bit higher speed than the MSF Course allows. Then you should be fine. Ride off Peak hours, and stay off the freeway until you are confortable.

However, I recommend getting on the freeway as soon as you are not affraid of the cagers. The best way to get confident with the concept of counter steering is at high speed.

Good luck. Get some gear. Have fun.
I have to disagree with you here. The best way to learn counter steering is on tight low speed turns. Your lean angle is much greater on a tight turn and the low speed will not freak you out. My favorite for a little thrill is a decreasing off camber turn. It makes you think you flying.

Old May 5th, 2009, 06:10 PM   #28
Nemy
ninjette.org sage

Name: Tim

Motorcycle(s): 2009 SE Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I have to disagree with you here. The best way to learn counter steering is on tight low speed turns. Your lean angle is much greater on a tight turn and the low speed will not freak you out. My favorite for a little thrill is a decreasing off camber turn. It makes you think you flying.
+1. IIRC counter steer already comes into play at low speeds (something like 15km/h). So you don't need to get onto freeway speeds to exercise/practice it. And unless your freeways are the complete opposite of mine, you won't get any good turns except for the on/off ramps...
Nemy is offline   Reply With Quote