ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 10th, 2009, 10:41 AM   #1
divingtigger
Pedal Power

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja EX250R

Would it be possible to use a different subframe

OK so my sub frame is badly twisted. The place that I dropped the bike off at for the integrity is going to see if they can straighten it for me. Started thinking of other options which would make my bike completly unique. Thinking of taking a subframe from a bigger Ninja and modding the 250 frame to work with the bigger ninja subframe and tail pieces. Has anyone every tried this before? Any ideas on which subframe would mount up to the 250's with the least amount of work?

Or am I just too bored sitting here at work pulling ideas out of my a$$

Thanks

Old August 11th, 2009, 12:07 PM   #2
M
ninjette.org member

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 x2, Ninja 650R

Possible, yes if you have the technical know-how to adapt the new sub to the frame. It would be interesting to follow if you choose to go this route.

Or, look for a replacement frame to purchase and move everything to the new frame.
M is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2009, 12:26 PM   #3
divingtigger
Pedal Power

Ya I've been looking at replacement frames, but for $1000 then the labour of moving everything over and worrying about a new title ect... I think the project would be DOA. However if I could find a subframe that would be integrated relatively easily I would take that route. I am ok with a welder and have a lot of mechanical know how....just nothing bike related

Old August 12th, 2009, 05:19 AM   #4
divingtigger
Pedal Power

Was thinking of giving the 2008/9 ZX10R subframe a shot, looks like it might not be that hard

Also looking at the ZX6R if I can figure out how to make our exhaust go under the seat

Last futzed with by divingtigger; August 12th, 2009 at 06:28 AM.
divingtigger is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2009, 06:38 AM   #5
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

If you do manage to make a conversion there is nothing to say the bike will be safe to ride afterwards.

Steve

Old August 12th, 2009, 07:16 AM   #6
divingtigger
Pedal Power

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
If you do manage to make a conversion there is nothing to say the bike will be safe to ride afterwards.

Steve

Why wouldn't it be? Lack of reinforcement? Or just be off balance

Thanks for the input

Old August 13th, 2009, 02:30 PM   #7
Daeldren
two wheel addict

Name: Kenneth

Motorcycle(s): 94 xlh 883, 1984 kawi gpz money pit

I think it would be cool just to make an aluminum tube frame for the 250, using the same dimensions as the stock one. The problem you will probably run into with those SS and Superbike frames is that they are designed to wrap around an I-4 engine (using the engine as a stress member) so if you did manage to mount the 250 engine inside it would look really funny. However a zzr 250 frame would probably work since it used the older 250 engine.

Or you could be all unique and engineer your own custom race frame for the 250 engine (maybe a trellis style)

Your cheapest solution is probably just to buy a used 250 frame, it works well.
Daeldren is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2009, 05:27 AM   #8
divingtigger
Pedal Power

Some good info there, didn't know that it depended on the engine for strength, anything wrong with modding the subframe (tail section of the bike only) to work on the 250 frame or would that be more work than it's worth? Been looking for used frames, not a whole lot around that are in better condition than the one I have (just the tail section is twisted and the plastics won't sit right)

Old August 14th, 2009, 06:38 AM   #9
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Name: aj

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post

Steve
These were my first thoughts also. I'm not a mechanic or engineer, but something in my head told me that this might not be the safest idea.

It's possible that this could be dangerous, but I'm sure with enough research, you could prove it to be do-able. A few words that jump into my head are weight, balance, ratio... just a few things that I feel might specifically adjusted for each bike through testing and research by the manufacturers.

But like I said, I really don't know much about these things but I figured my thoguhts/opinions might atleast like to be heard, or else you wouldnt have posted this thread i guess

Old August 14th, 2009, 06:44 AM   #10
divingtigger
Pedal Power

Yep that's exactly right. I know very little bike wise and wanted to get some other opinions on the matter, every opinion is welcome as long as you explain yours....that way I can atleast learn a bit.

Might be easier to either hold out for a used frame or just try to straighten this one. Anything wrong with picking up an 09 frame and installing 08 components into it? There was one on Ebag a while ago that went for $350, I didn't feel right about it because the title and registration would show it is an 09 when really everything else is 08.... I am thinking too much into it?

Old August 14th, 2009, 06:54 AM   #11
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Motorcycle(s): Red 09 Ninja 250r aka Sheila (RIP), Red '10 Ninja 250r aka Sasha (Sold), White '13 Ninja 300 (To be Purchased)

Well I think the 09 subframe would be fine. I don't think they changed too much from 08 to 09. I think they have the same service manual also so I doubt there would be a problem.

As for the registration, common sense tells me that there shouldn't be a problem because I don't think theres that much of a difference in the parts and because I would just look at it as if it were a 'mod' or 'part replacement'.

As for the laws concerning the registration, I have no idea what really defines one bike being an 08 and one being an 09.

but if you bought it as an 08 and fixed it.. then hell, its an 08
but im not sure if your *fixing* the 08 or if your *fixing* the 09 you just bought...

Old August 14th, 2009, 07:44 AM   #12
divingtigger
Pedal Power

Unfortunatly on our bikes the subframe is not removable without a cutting torch. That's why I was thinking of cutting it out and picking up the subframe and modding it to fit...wow even just saying it sounds like a lot of work though

Old August 14th, 2009, 08:37 AM   #13
DarkNinja52
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by divingtigger View Post
Unfortunatly on our bikes the subframe is not removable without a cutting torch. That's why I was thinking of cutting it out and picking up the subframe and modding it to fit...wow even just saying it sounds like a lot of work though
I ran out of breath just reading it....