ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old August 11th, 2009, 07:53 AM   #1
NoobNinja
WTFBBQ?!

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R

hard break in

so im about to come up on my first oil change. I didnt do the sissy way of breaking in the bike and change the oil every 10 miles so i was curious if i should keep running reg oil or switch to synthetic and what kind? im at 900 miles right now but when i go to do the first maint. i'm gonna tell the guy what i want done to it. i've talked to my uncle about it but he said its preference. so im trying to get some other opinions on it.

and i want to know which fender eliminator kit uses the same kind of plastic as the bike but is still no cut something that replaces the whole thing? i've looked thru the site but see alot of DIY fender elim.s and the others its hard to tell.

Old August 11th, 2009, 08:39 AM   #2
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Isn't the first maintenance supposed to be done at 600 miles?

Regardless, I'd stay with conventional oil until your next oil change, then switch to synthetic.
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2009, 09:06 AM   #3
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by NoobNinja View Post
so im about to come up on my first oil change. I didnt do the sissy way of breaking in the bike and change the oil every 10 miles so i was curious if i should keep running reg oil or switch to synthetic and what kind? im at 900 miles right now but when i go to do the first maint. i'm gonna tell the guy what i want done to it. i've talked to my uncle about it but he said its preference. so im trying to get some other opinions on it.

and i want to know which fender eliminator kit uses the same kind of plastic as the bike but is still no cut something that replaces the whole thing? i've looked thru the site but see alot of DIY fender elim.s and the others its hard to tell.
Huh? A "hard" break in necessitates that you change the oil immediately and frequently througout while stressing the engine. The "easy" break in required you to change it over 300 miles ago having taken it easy on the engine. That means that you have gone more than 50% past the first official service interval (and latest recommended) while also being "hard" on the new engine?! And here I was feeling bad about taking it 600mi home and having it serviced at 680mi (even slow freeway driving = constant RPMS, which is bad for a new engine). I took my time too... ~14hrs to go 480mi of the way.

Anyway, the break in officially continues for the first 1,000 miles but actualoly continues even after that. You should not be switching to a lubricant which will prevent even the intended wear that SHOULD be going on in a new engine. Stick to dino oil.

Oh, and every FE kit I've seen is metallic except a full replacement undertail. Hotbodies is supposedly working on one too.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2009, 10:28 AM   #4
rockNroll

Name: rock

Motorcycle(s): black

Run synthetic oil.
rockNroll is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2009, 12:37 PM   #5
NoobNinja
WTFBBQ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Huh? A "hard" break in necessitates that you change the oil immediately and frequently througout while stressing the engine. The "easy" break in required you to change it over 300 miles ago having taken it easy on the engine. That means that you have gone more than 50% past the first official service interval (and latest recommended) while also being "hard" on the new engine?! And here I was feeling bad about taking it 600mi home and having it serviced at 680mi (even slow freeway driving = constant RPMS, which is bad for a new engine). I took my time too... ~14hrs to go 480mi of the way.

Anyway, the break in officially continues for the first 1,000 miles but actualoly continues even after that. You should not be switching to a lubricant which will prevent even the intended wear that SHOULD be going on in a new engine. Stick to dino oil.

Oh, and every FE kit I've seen is metallic except a full replacement undertail. Hotbodies is supposedly working on one too.
maybe i misled you with whati said. i talked to the dealer and they said that the 600 mile service is not gonna kill me but it should be in before 1000 miles at the most. i meant hard break in by b yim stressing the engine getting the parts worn in but at the same time im taking it easy. i did change the oil at 500 miles but have been pushing the bike alittle bit harder.

Old August 11th, 2009, 01:19 PM   #6
NJD022588
============

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Quote:
so im about to come up on my first oil change ... im at 900 miles right now ...
Quote:
... i did change the oil at 500 miles but have been pushing the bike alittle bit harder.
NJD022588 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 11th, 2009, 01:51 PM   #7
sofo
ninjette.org guru

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I am confused as well.
sofo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 12th, 2009, 04:16 AM   #8
NoobNinja
WTFBBQ?!

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJD022588 View Post
haha i know im sorry i forgot about that one i did. shame on me lol i totally mean my first actual maintanence check up im confused also lol