ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 19th, 2010, 01:01 PM   #1
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Oregon exploring lane-sharing for motorcycles

Event tonight on this topic:

Link on facebook

Quote:
On Friday, 19 November, Oregon's Governor's Advisory Committee on Motorcycle Safety is visiting Portland to receive public input on lane-sharing. The Committee understands lane-sharing is an urban issue, and they want to hear from the Portland riding community about it. If you have an opinion about lane-sharing, please ATTEND THE MEETING TO LET THE COMMITTEE KNOW WHAT YOU THINK. The Committee is on the fence about whether to conduct a nonpartisan statewide opinion survey about lane-sharing. We think lane-sharing is a good idea, and that doing the survey is a good idea. We hope that you do too.

Time: 6:30 p.m. sharp
Date: Friday, 19 November
Location: Kaiser Permanente Town Hall, 3704 N. Interstate Ave., Portland
Parking: Street parking, and Kaiser's free lot next door

Background
- Lane-sharing (also known as filtering, lane-splitting, etc.) is the practice of "motorcycles passing between lanes of stopped or slower moving vehicles" (NHTSA)
- In June 2010, the Committee released the results of an ODOT research report on lane-sharing. The report is worth reading. It examines various studies of lane-sharing and includes discussions on motorcycle and auto safety, and the potential benefits of lane-sharing.
What does this meeting mean?
The Committee wants to know: - whether or not riders and drivers support lane-sharing - whether or not the Committee should conduct a statewide opinion survey about lane-sharing - concerns about lane-sharing - benefits of lane-sharing
What DOESN'T this meeting mean?
It doesn't mean you'll be allowed to lane-share tomorrow. Or next year. Or the year after that. As you probably know, changing laws on an issue like lane-sharing will take a sustained, many-year effort from a number of groups. It's often the case that things feel like they're at a standstill. Yes, it's frustrating. But that doesn't mean you can't spend an hour of your Friday night to come help the cause.

FREE GIFT for riders who are able to convince a friend who thinks "lane-sharing will never happen, so just forget about it, you're living in a dream world and wasting your time" to step away from their computer for an hour and come down to Kaiser!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2010, 01:07 PM   #2
Cab305
ninjette.org sage

Name: Cab

Motorcycle(s): Blue 10 250r

"whether or not riders and drivers support lane-sharing"

I can tell you right now cagers will say no-way. Why..... because if they can't get ahead of traffic, why should motorcycles be allowed?

Nothing but jealousy.
Cab305 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2010, 01:12 PM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

If it ever came up for a popular vote in California, odds are the majority would oppose it as well. What has kept it in place for so long is that every time the subject is broached, the CHP clearly states that there are no statistics that show motorcycle lane-sharing increases the risk of accidents or injury for motorcycle riders, and having drivers somewhat used to the existence of lanesharing can in fact promote safety when LEO's perform the exact same thing to navigate through slower traffic.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old November 19th, 2010, 03:25 PM   #4
Bleak21
ninjette.org member

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): 05 Ninjette

I hope this gets passed so that other states catch on. Today on the highway I saw a soldier on a 650 splitting bumper-to-bumper in NYC (not legal). I ended up catching his rank on his chest: 2LT. Hopefully there are more public leaders in the making like him to pass sensible laws.
Bleak21 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2010, 04:00 PM   #5
edbro
ninjette.org member

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

It'd be nice if the laws were passed, but at the end of the day, legal or not, I'll lane split stopped or slowly moving cars everytime.
edbro is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2010, 04:32 PM   #6
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Most people I know who only drive are against it purely for the fact that they think it's "unfair," not unsafe. I respond by saying I'm helping them out by decreasing traffic. If all the motorcycles wait in traffic as well, that just makes everyones wait even longer as we're taking up space.

Also, it's safer in my opinion when I'm at lights. There's little chance I'll get rear ended if I'm between cars.

Most countries I've been to filter. It helps with traffic by not taking up a car space and also we accelerate faster when we're in the front.
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2010, 05:37 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
also we accelerate faster when we're in the front always, in all cases, everywhere.
fixed.

Old November 19th, 2010, 05:41 PM   #8
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

Wow, and this the same year Sacramento is finally giving out CCWs. We're pulling for you OR!
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 19th, 2010, 05:47 PM   #9
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
Most people I know who only drive are against it purely for the fact that they think it's "unfair," not unsafe.
My 8YO is going through this stage right now. It never ceases to amaze me how people regress when they get behind the wheel.

Old November 19th, 2010, 07:27 PM   #10
slolane
Motorcyclist

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ninja 300 ABS

I too hope they get it and other states catch on. I do it frequently when in DC and only sometimes on the outskirts of town.
slolane is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 22nd, 2010, 07:06 PM   #11
ryu hayabusa
ninjette.org member

Name: ion

Motorcycle(s): 2000 ninja 250r

my god this would be great in oregon, however, with how much it rains here, it could be very dangerous. now something i will say is this state has so many stupid "bicyling hippies" it drives me nuts. these people think they own the road, we even have bicycle lanes for them, the idiots literally ride in the middle of the road, it scares me to death to drive a car. think about it, we have bums riding bikes on every block out here.(especially burnside blvd.) they cant afford food from the dollar menu, but somehow can afford a bike, a beer (usually steel reserve..yuck.) and meth. add those three things together and you will see what i see literally D-A-I-L-Y. that is, a bum getting nailed by an innocent driver. granted, bums won't be riding a sportbike, hopefully riders wont be riding drunk, and hopefully the rain will let up (fat chance...) but if they pass it, i'll use it! sorry had to vent, those bicyclist annoy me and the stupid spandex they wear is the most homo-rrific thing since rue paul. thanks , and sorry if i've "offended" you.

Old November 23rd, 2010, 06:19 AM   #12
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryu hayabusa View Post
my god this would be great in oregon, however, with how much it rains here, it could be very dangerous.
Rain has no impact on how safe/un-safe filtering is. On a cold windy dark rainy day, you would rather be in between the stationary cars then waiting for someone to tail end you.

With multiple lanes in those conditions a couple of people in your lane might see you, not very many people in the other lane will see you, if you filter up the front your clear of danger. Everyone can see you go past them or in their mirrors if the light should happen to go green before you reach the head of the queue. Either way if lights go green and you have 4 cars at each corner all 4 of them can see you.

The cyclists have just a much right to use the road as you do and sometimes the clothes they wear are for practical purposes and not just a fashion statement We have bike lanes here also and lots of rain, cyclist don't use them as they are more dangerous for them and poorly designed.

Last futzed with by karlosdajackal; November 23rd, 2010 at 06:21 AM. Reason: spelliung and punktuation
karlosdajackal is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2010, 10:56 AM   #13
indr
ninjette.org guru

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

the white/yellow paint dividing the lanes is very slick when wet.
indr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2010, 02:09 PM   #14
KURT
Resident Old Guy

Name: Kurt

Motorcycle(s): sold

Lane splitting will be legal in Az, on a trial basis, for 2011. There will be a lot of conditions that must be met, for it to be considered appropriate. The idea is to permit motorcyclist to advance ahead of traffic, in heavy congestion, to escape the heat. Every year, there are incidences of riders collapsing in the 110+ temperatures.
KURT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2010, 02:42 PM   #15
FrugalNinja250

Name: Frugal

Motorcycle(s): Several

The way I see it, lane sharing frees up space for cars, so in any given situation the more sharing there is the less congestion there will be. I wouldn't do it personally except maybe in stop and go, and even then with extreme caution, but that's just due to my skill and comfort level with close quarters navigating.
FrugalNinja250 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2010, 04:49 PM   #16
SVBS
ninjette.org member

Name: KT

Motorcycle(s): 1 of them Big Four

now us californian won't be special anymore
SVBS is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2010, 06:07 PM   #17
indr
ninjette.org guru

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

Quote:
Originally Posted by SVBS View Post
now us californian won't be special anymore
you guys have special emission standards
indr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 23rd, 2010, 06:39 PM   #18
Buffalony

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250 "Wasabi", 82 Yamaha xj650j

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cab305 View Post
"whether or not riders and drivers support lane-sharing"

I can tell you right now cagers will say no-way. Why..... because if they can't get ahead of traffic, why should motorcycles be allowed?

Nothing but jealousy.
Yup....HATERRRRS
I wonder how many cagers in Cali have said to themselves "Hey If I got a motorcycle I could do that to" or " I could get to work and home faster in bumper to bumper traffic if I had a motorcycle"?
I see it as another perk for owning a motorcycle right next to them being somewhat fuel efficient. I'm surprised NY hasnt caught on to this theory for the city. Traffic down there is a bisotch.

Old November 23rd, 2010, 06:53 PM   #19
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrish View Post
you guys have special emission standards
Not so much anymore; NY and at least 11 other states are now requiring the same vehicle emissions standards, so it may not be long before manufacturers stop making special versions for just those states and move completely to the 50-state model...

(other states are: Connecticut, Maine, Maryland, Massachusetts, New Jersey, New Mexico, New York, Oregon, Pennsylvania, Rhode Island, Vermont and Washington, according to this link at least) This link confirms it for NY.

Old November 23rd, 2010, 10:27 PM   #20
ryu hayabusa
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlosdajackal View Post
Rain has no impact on how safe/un-safe filtering is. On a cold windy dark rainy day, you would rather be in between the stationary cars then waiting for someone to tail end you.

With multiple lanes in those conditions a couple of people in your lane might see you, not very many people in the other lane will see you, if you filter up the front your clear of danger. Everyone can see you go past them or in their mirrors if the light should happen to go green before you reach the head of the queue. Either way if lights go green and you have 4 cars at each corner all 4 of them can see you.

The cyclists have just a much right to use the road as you do and sometimes the clothes they wear are for practical purposes and not just a fashion statement We have bike lanes here also and lots of rain, cyclist don't use them as they are more dangerous for them and poorly designed.
well sir, that's as much your opinion as mine was earlier. however, i speak with experience because i live here and deal with it daily.
and as for them damn cyclists, they can go to hell. i can't stand them, and next time i'm in my cage i WILL run one or more down. >

Old November 23rd, 2010, 10:35 PM   #21
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
and as for them damn cyclists, they can go to hell. i can't stand them, and next time i'm in my cage i WILL run one or more down. >

Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:05 PM   #22
headshrink

I say we sentence him to a ride in spandex.

Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:17 PM   #23
ryu hayabusa
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
I say we sentence him to a ride in spandex.
rotfl, i'd hang myself... but alas, i shouldn't be too harsh on those "live strong" wanna-be's. after all, our motorcycles do share a common ancestry... and we all do ride with brightly colored, tight fitting clothing...

Old November 23rd, 2010, 11:37 PM   #24
headshrink

Quote:
rotfl, i'd hang myself... but alas, i shouldn't be too harsh on those "live strong" wanna-be's. after all, our motorcycles do share a common ancestry... and we all do ride with brightly colored, tight fitting clothing...
I will confess that when I was into cycling, I too donned the spandex. It is one of those things that you couldn't really understand unless you tried it.... it really does make a difference for cycling (which is why they all do it). A man does not need to be ashamed, nor question his sexuality, if he wears spandex.... as long as he is on his bike. BUT, dare he take too many steps apart from his bike, he becomes fair game for all who would mock the spandex.

Old November 24th, 2010, 01:01 AM   #25
karlosdajackal
ninjette.org guru

Name: Karl

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R Fuel Injected Model 2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by indrish View Post
the white/yellow paint dividing the lanes is very slick when wet.
At less than 20 mph in a reasonably straight line I think you can handle it

Quote:
well sir, that's as much your opinion as mine was earlier. however, i speak with experience because i live here and deal with it daily.
I with experience of both filtering and rain, you speak with experience of rain and an opinion of filtering

Inchs of rainfall per year:
Oregon: 37.39
Ireland: 39.37

Lane splitting in Oregon: not legal yet
Lane splitting in Ireland: legal for decades

In a year we get between 150 to 220 days which have a reasonably amount of rain. So you see we get more rain and I ride in it and I lane split (filtering as we say). If I only rode on dry days I'd probably do a less than half of the 7500 miles per year.

Its safe, safe, safe! Never mind rain, it has no impact, never mind white lines, either side of them is a nice piece of tarmac, you won't slip on them anyway unless your doing stopples between the cars but even if you did slip you'd only slip about an inch before you found nice grippy tarmac.