ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old April 10th, 2011, 09:52 PM   #1
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Tools: It finally occurred to me why they don't sell sockets with screwdriver tips.

I feel pretty stupid, like I just found out something that's common sense and everyone already knows, but I've never seen it mentioned or demonstrated and I drew the wrong conclusion.

Basically, I've been wanting to replace my bar ends for quite some time due to the paint rubbing off. I even went as far as buying a mini pencil torch and some nice blue bar ends, but I can't afford a 12v impact wrench and I don't even have a decent set of screw drivers. Like my hex sockets that I use on the fairings, I wanted to find a #3 phillips snap-on socket for my $3 ratcheting socket set. I realized after not seeing them anywhere for a few months that they don't seem to exist. Hex socekts, Torx/star sockets, security bit variants, etc, all seem to exist, so why not those? It finally occurred to me: Because you just stick a regular bit into the right-sized socket and use it.

Is that right? What sized socket fits it? I was wondering why it seemed that no ratcheting socket kit, no matter how complete, included them. It turns out that they are often included with ratcheting screwdriver kits instead, which I never noticed because they are always on a different aisle.

Last futzed with by CZroe; April 11th, 2011 at 12:59 AM.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2011, 11:17 PM   #2
wtfbuck
ninjette.org member

Name: Shawn

Motorcycle(s): 2009 250r

I used to sell tools at sears and I've seen these screwdriver bit sockets many times. Heres a set that has # 1-4.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...3&blockType=G3

If you just need the #3 bit they sell those separately for around 7 bucks if I remember correctly.
wtfbuck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2011, 11:19 PM   #3
wtfbuck
ninjette.org member

The single bits are hanging on the wall with the other standard hex sockets. They are just a little hard to find because of lazy employees like me hanging them up wherever.

Old April 11th, 2011, 12:12 AM   #4
phr3ek
meow?

Name: kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 636

i should have gone to that tech day......

if you want you can pm me your address and i'll mail you my phillips bit and socket
and just mail it back to me when you're done.......?
do you have a 1/4" drive ratchet?

im in San Bernardino county btw
phr3ek is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 12:24 AM   #5
sergemoat
ninjette.org member

Name: serge

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Maybe you should look into a striking impact driver, wont help with the socket issue but it'll take of the bar ends cheaper than in 12v impact. I use them for getting rusty brake drums off.
sergemoat is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 12:29 AM   #6
Cuongism
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r, 2007 Daytona 675

Jet, we'll probably schedule another Tech Day soon if you can wait or we can schedule a time individually and I can remove them for you. We didn't even use heat for Keven's to remove his today and Dustin didn't use heat to remove his either. Maybe CA men are stronger?
Cuongism is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 01:10 AM   #7
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by wtfbuck View Post
I used to sell tools at sears and I've seen these screwdriver bit sockets many times. Heres a set that has # 1-4.

http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_1...3&blockType=G3

If you just need the #3 bit they sell those separately for around 7 bucks if I remember correctly.
Quote:
The single bits are hanging on the wall with the other standard hex sockets. They are just a little hard to find because of lazy employees like me hanging them up wherever.
Well, I mostly went to Lowes/Home Depot and Harbor Freight though I bought my hex bit set at a Sears Essentials store in November and didn't see anything like it. I should have known that they exist in some fashion even though it appears that I am expected to take a standard screwdriver bit and insert it into a socket. That means I may have everything I need already and I was feeling stupid for not realizing that it's what you're expected to do if you want a phillips head on your ratcheting socket wrench.

Quote:
Originally Posted by phr3ek View Post
i should have gone to that tech day......

if you want you can pm me your address and i'll mail you my phillips bit and socket
and just mail it back to me when you're done.......?
do you have a 1/4" drive ratchet?

im in San Bernardino county btw
Thanks anyway, but the standard screwdriver bit costs $0.67 at Harbor Freight and I'm sure it fits into one of my sockets, so I'll just do that if I have to. This thread wasn't looking for a solution, if just to share a forehead-slapping moment in case it can help others avoid one of their own.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergemoat View Post
Maybe you should look into a striking impact driver, wont help with the socket issue but it'll take of the bar ends cheaper than in 12v impact. I use them for getting rusty brake drums off.
Combined with the mini pencil torch, I'm sure a regular bit in a socket snapped on to a ratcheting wrench will for fine. Thanks though!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuongism View Post
Jet, we'll probably schedule another Tech Day soon if you can wait or we can schedule a time individually and I can remove them for you. We didn't even use heat for Keven's to remove his today and Dustin didn't use heat to remove his either. Maybe CA men are stronger?
Oh, I plan to be there, but I have so many other things to do that I want to have this done already.

Old April 11th, 2011, 05:12 AM   #8
warlord
ninjette.org guru

Name: war

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Ducati Panigale 899

Yeah, I would go with a standard bit in a socket. You can get a multipack of phillips driver bits from just about any hardware store. I'm guessing the bar ends are a #2, possibly #3.
warlord is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 05:28 AM   #9
johnjohn
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Honda, Buell, Kawasaki, Suzuki, Yamaha

You have a Jap bike use the right bit. JIS is what you need, unless you like buggered up slots.
johnjohn is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 09:18 AM   #10
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjohn View Post
You have a Jap bike use the right bit. JIS is what you need, unless you like buggered up slots.
Yes, I know this, but the bar ends are seeing the trash can after this and my replacements use hex. Also, why isn't the included screwdriver onder the seat JIS? The two phillips driver shafts don't seem to fit a single screw on the bike!

Old April 11th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #11
ricochet08
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ross

Motorcycle(s): 2007 ninja ex500, 2010 Ninja 250r, 2004 zzr600, 2003 CBR600rr, 2013 Ninja 300...in that order :D

Quote:
because of lazy employees like me hanging them up wherever.
Quote:
I used to sell tools at sears and I've seen these screwdriver bit sockets many times.
I miss my job at Sears. I knew nothing about tools, by the time i started working at circuit city I knew about em all.

dont forget about the Replacement warranty, just bring in the broken socket/bit (if it breaks) and get a new one for free if they still do that :-/
ricochet08 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 11th, 2011, 07:38 PM   #12
warlord
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by johnjohn View Post
#2 Phillips drywall bits work really well in JIS screws due to the way the bits are manufactured. If you have one check out how nicely it fits...

Old April 11th, 2011, 08:29 PM   #13
wtfbuck
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ricochet08 View Post
dont forget about the Replacement warranty, just bring in the broken socket/bit (if it breaks) and get a new one for free if they still do that :-/
Thats a good point, don't let the rude cashiers and know nothing employees try to tell you they wont replace anything. Craftsman has an unconditional warranty on hand tools. You can return a wrench just because you think it makes you look fat.

I always had to argue with my managers about this topic when i'd accept tool warranties for otherwise still functioning tools. But a letter from the VP of the tool division saying we'll accept a tool back for any reason quickly shut them up.

Old April 11th, 2011, 10:01 PM   #14
Reswob
ninjette.org sage

Name: Josh

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Triumph Bonneville Black

To answer the original question, I believe standard size driver bits fit a 1/4" socket.

Old April 12th, 2011, 09:57 AM   #15
warlord
ninjette.org guru

Just checked, the bar end screws and frame screws are philips head #3 not JIS.

Old April 13th, 2011, 08:14 AM   #16
cwb48
Mature motorcyclist

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R, blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by sergemoat View Post
I don't know how anyone who works on a motorcycle does without one of these. The impact driver, when used properly, will solve all of the phillips or JIS screw removal problems without damaging the screwhead. It even works on those stubborn carb screws, although you have to be careful not to break the aluminum castings! It works because when you strike it, it drives the bit tightly into the screw head at the same time it turns it, and as a result will rarely pop out if you're using the right size bit.

Chris
cwb48 is offline   Reply With Quote