ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 30th, 2012, 09:16 PM   #1
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

potential camera for ninjette?

Quote:
Genius HD Vehicle Recorder w/ 6 IR Lamps, 120-Degree Viewing Angle, 2.4" LCD, SDHC Compatible & 12MP Images!

Description:

Life moves at a much higher pace on the open road. Don't let a crucial moment of it pass you by … let the Genius HD Vehicle Recorder ride shotgun today! Whether you’re looking for safety, security, or simply recreational recordings, this innovative recorder offers a sweeping 120 degree wide angle to cover all the action. Simply mount it onto your vehicle’s windshield, plug the cigarette adapter into the cigarette lighter, and it’ll automatically begin recording once the engine is started!

Its 2.4" panel can rotate 270 degrees so you can easily find the most comfortable position for viewing your footage. Additionally, the embedded IR light lamps will compensate for dimly-lit environments - like tunnels - so the proceedings of an accident will be faithfully recorded. And thanks to its 1280x960 pixel resolution at 30 fps, your recorded footage will be displayed in only the most vibrant and ultra-realistic HD picture quality, regardless of whether it was recorded during the day or night.

Condition: NEW
Packaging: Retail
Manufacturer: Genius
Model: DVR-530

Features Include:

HD digital vehicle recorder
1280 x 960 resolution in cinematic 30 frames per second, for a vivid and ultra-realistic picture quality
Provides a 120 degree wide view angle for capturing all of the action
2.4" LCD rotates 270° for maximum versatility during playback
Supports SD cards up to 32GB (recommended: class 2 above SDHC)
Captures 12MP still images
IR light for low light use
HD CMOS Sensor
System Requirements: Windows 2000 or later, Pentium III 800 MHz processor or later, 128MB of storage, 128MB of RAM or higher, USB

Package Includes:

Vehicle Recorder
Car Cigarette Adaptor
Car Suction Mount
USB Cable
Li-Ion Battery
Quick Start Guide
Sounds reasonable for 49.95, but how and where to mount it?

Old May 30th, 2012, 09:47 PM   #2
xSean13

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250r (sold) / '03 CBR 600RR

Only records at 30fps.
xSean13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 31st, 2012, 03:49 AM   #3
NathanUc
B-Town Ninja

Name: Nathan

Motorcycle(s): Black 2013 Ninja ZX6R ABS

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
Sounds reasonable for 49.95, but how and where to mount it?
I don't meet the system requirements

Realistically though, that seems a bit big for a motorcycle camera. The price is off-putting too (for the most part, you get what you pay for)
NathanUc is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2012, 05:09 PM   #4
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

A different version of this was on the deal sites a few weeks ago.
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2012, 05:23 PM   #5
NJ Ninjette
ninjette.org member

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2007 Husky TE 250, 2002 KTM EXC 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
Only records at 30fps.
Anything over 24 fps the human eye can't really tell the difference, and if I remember correctly movies in the movie theater are 24 fps.

720p is 60fps, all other video is 30 fps. They still shoot a lot of sporting events in 720 because it helps cut down on pixelation.

Having said that I don't know how good the camera will work, for $50 I imagine probably not that great. But for that price I might give it a try, at the least it may be ok for recording the scenery on vacations driving in the car.

Old June 10th, 2012, 05:29 PM   #6
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
http://www.woot.com/

todays woot, a 50$ camera.

honestly, just buy a gopro. you wont come close to it with anything else. there is a reason everyone uses gopros.

Old June 10th, 2012, 05:46 PM   #7
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

you cant go wrong with the go pro.

the mounts, waterproof housing, and detail blow away all other cameras.

the only thing i dont like is that it does not come standard with an lcd screen.
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2012, 05:52 PM   #8
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by lgk View Post
you cant go wrong with the go pro.

the mounts, waterproof housing, and detail blow away all other cameras.

the only thing i dont like is that it does not come standard with an lcd screen.
I like that it doesn't come with a wasteful battery hog
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2012, 06:17 PM   #9
lgk

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2012 EX250, 2014 EX300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I like that it doesn't come with a wasteful battery hog
it's good that its removable, but i just don't think it should be a separate item to purchase for $80.
lgk is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2012, 06:38 PM   #10
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
Dunno why you even need it though. I've never had a problem without it. Besides then you need separate larger cases and meh. It's really useless
AFM #676

Old June 10th, 2012, 06:46 PM   #11
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
Originally Posted by xSean13 View Post
Only records at 30fps.
Whoah. You do realize that 30FPS is 100% NORMAL for progressive video recording and is pretty much the maximum? 60FPS+ content is typically computer-generated (video games) or made-for-TV interlaced. Even then, interlaced TV content is often sourced from 24FPS video theatrical/film video that has had every frame alternately doubled and trippled (12x2 + 12x3 = 60). Most primetime TV shows for the last 30 years are filmed at 24FPS on 35mm just like a theatrical production and the difference between them and interlaced content is that "soap opera" difference in video presentation. TV news or live late-night shows on a station that happen to be 1080i could possibly be 60 FIELDS per second, but they usually aren't.

Even then, interlaced TV content is actually 60 FIELDS per second (30 interlaced frames per second). Sure, those fields could be from two different source frames, but they were still assembled into half as many frames.

Old June 10th, 2012, 06:48 PM   #12
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by CZroe View Post
Whoah. You do realize that 30FPS is 100% NORMAL for progressive video recording and is pretty much the maximum? 60FPS+ content is typically computer-generated (video games) or made-for-TV interlaced. Even then, interlaced TV content is often sourced from 24FPS video theatrical/film video that has had every frame alternately doubled and trippled (12x2 + 12x3 = 60). Most primetime TV shows for the last 30 years are filmed at 24FPS on 35mm just like a theatrical production and the difference between them and interlaced content is that "soap opera" difference in video presentation. TV news or live late-night shows on a station that happen to be 1080i could possibly be 60 FIELDS per second, but they usually aren't.

Even then, interlaced TV content is actually 60 FIELDS per second (30 interlaced frames per second). Sure, those fields could be from two different source frames, but they were still assembled into half as many frames.
5 words

slo mo
AFM #676

Old June 10th, 2012, 06:52 PM   #13
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
5 words

slo mo
Yeah, but it's a DVR and not an action cam. Higher FPS will adversely affect DVR storage. In order for high FPS recordings to be "slo-mo," it's still played back at 60, 30, 24, or lower FPS. Some DVR systems have a "VFR" variable frame rate that stores full FPS when there is movement and conserves storage by expanding still frames over the gap when there is not. If there was one that recorded 120FPS to a buffer and committed only 30FPS to the storage unless you pressed a capture button or ended the recording (crashed) or triggered it some other way (airbag deployment), you could potentially combine both goals and have slow-mo of pretty much any incident.

Old June 10th, 2012, 07:17 PM   #14
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Yeah, but it's a DVR and not an action cam. Higher FPS will adversely affect DVR storage. In order for high FPS recordings to be "slo-mo," it's still played back at 60, 30, 24, or lower FPS. Some DVR systems have a "VFR" variable frame rate that stores full FPS when there is movement and conserves storage by expanding still frames over the gap when there is not. If there was one that recorded 120FPS to a buffer and committed only 30FPS to the storage unless you pressed a capture button or ended the recording (crashed) or triggered it some other way (airbag deployment), you could potentially combine both goals and have slow-mo of pretty much any incident.
You lost me but I've been drinking

60fps at half speed = 30fps = smooth
AFM #676

Old June 10th, 2012, 08:08 PM   #15
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
You lost me but I've been drinking

60fps at half speed = 30fps = smooth
Exactly, and 120FPS looks smooth at 60 or 30FPS slo-mo, but 60-120FPS requires much more storage space than 30FPS for the same actual time captured which means much less recording time available. Just like a home theater digital video recorder, maximum recording time is important with a vehicle DVR. You never know what may be relevant hours later and, in the event of an accident, your equipment may not be promptly turned off.

Old June 10th, 2012, 08:18 PM   #16
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

MOTM - Apr '13
Quote:
Exactly, and 120FPS looks smooth at 60 or 30FPS slo-mo, but 60-120FPS requires much more storage space than 30FPS for the same actual time captured which means much less recording time available. Just like a home theater digital video recorder, maximum recording time is important with a vehicle DVR. You never know what may be relevant hours later and, in the event of an accident, your equipment may not be promptly turned off.
If I could do 1080p in 60fps or 720p in 120fps I totally would. My 32gb card will outlast the 1.5hr battery life. In high vibration or fast moving areas I use 720p 60fps for clarity (camera attached to bike) When there isn't anything influencing the camera I go for 1080p 30fps (helmet cam) Also with my tri cam setup the smaller 720p vids scale better when put inside a 1080p vid
AFM #676

Old June 11th, 2012, 05:36 AM   #17
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Quote:
If I could do 1080p in 60fps or 720p in 120fps I totally would. My 32gb card will outlast the 1.5hr battery life. In high vibration or fast moving areas I use 720p 60fps for clarity (camera attached to bike) When there isn't anything influencing the camera I go for 1080p 30fps (helmet cam) Also with my tri cam setup the smaller 720p vids scale better when put inside a 1080p vid
Yep, but vehicle DVRs are usually wired to power off the vehicle and automatically record over the oldest footage you didn't specifically flag to keep so, so 1.5 hours of footage will not outlast them. Idealy, I'd want it to easily store a full day's worth of riding and anything extra will reduce cycles on the flash memory so that it will last longer. Even the battery-operated ones are often built with 5+ hour running times and are only battery operated so you can use it in other people's cars and take it with you while still recording important details after an incident happens. They usually don't need to be HD. Having low-res video is better than having a "he said, she said" situation after an accident.