ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old May 4th, 2015, 05:41 AM   #81
chemist
ninjette.org member

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): gsxr 600 2012

Thanks guys! I still set out a goal to practice emergency braking on the weekends. Unfortunately I have been a bit swamped lately. All that being said though the weather is amazing and I have had some great commutes!!

@Motofool thanks again for those links and I will look through them soon enough.

Just a few notes for now. Bummed a bit that I lost some detail in my posts as I really have been swamped but I would like to highlight a few points/questions that I have noticed over the last week.

Do you switch lanes to pass other motorcycles when they are aware of your presence? I am assuming yes as that is the legal as well as not riding side by side. I have noticed at stop lights that some bikers dont pull up next to you and some do?

I am still tense when in heavy traffic real bummer but i can also say that I am 100% more relaxed than a few weeks ago and experience is helping me relax too. My rides into work are amazing so currently just dealing with staying relaxed and calm in heavy traffic.

Also regarding heavy traffic, I have noticed some bikers will take the third lane over and cut in. What I mean by this is we have scenarios where a three lane one way section of road develops and that far right third lane eventually becomes a turn lane. Obviously in heavy traffic you can easily maneuver on a bike to the far right lane and scoot up, put on turn signal and pop back in to the flow of traffic pretty easily. That being said, it is legal(well I think it is) I have done it in my car many...many...many times but I am afraid that I might cause some road rage down the road especially if I am traveling at the same time as these other cars day in and out.

Another scenario, two lane road. one lane for each direction. You have to turn left and cross traffic to get to destination and therefore stop traffic behind you. My mindset was to place the motorcycle in the middle of the lane so that cars can't as easily get past me. My thought was if i am too far to the left I might get clipped. Far right side is just stupid

Finally, I am actually comfortable with my ass all the way back towards the rear cowl for extended periods!!

Old May 4th, 2015, 07:20 AM   #82
Bigballsofpaint
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): 2015 636 ABS - 69 Honda 305

In CT at least lane sharing between motorcycle is legal, so if im with my group of friends (we all have bluetooth) its no big deal to pass each other in the same lane since we know whats going on. Ive only passed 1 other bike in the same lane as myself, a harley rider who was riding a bit washy and there were no legal passing spots around. I dont really recommend it, but check the tennessee law at least.

When turning left i try to be respectful and i go pretty far in the left side of the lane so cars can pass me. I know how annoyed i get when that happens to me. I dont cross the yellow line or anything.

Old May 4th, 2015, 10:51 AM   #83
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigballsofpaint View Post
When turning left i try to be respectful and i go pretty far in the left side of the lane so cars can pass me. I know how annoyed i get when that happens to me. I dont cross the yellow line or anything.
Same here. I stop at the intersection so that my left foot is almost touching the double yellow. This gives cars behind me plenty of space to pass me.

Old May 4th, 2015, 03:15 PM   #84
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by chemist View Post
@Motofool thanks again for those links and I will look through them soon enough.
You are welcome
Don't rush on the street, don't rush learning and learn things correctly the first time.

Quote:
Do you switch lanes to pass other motorcycles when they are aware of your presence? I am assuming yes as that is the legal as well as not riding side by side. I have noticed at stop lights that some bikers don't pull up next to you and some do?
Yes, I always use and protect the whole width of the lane that my bike occupies.
I try other bikes like any other four-wheel vehicle: the farther from me the better.
For stop lights and non-moving situations, it is not dangerous; but as soon as we start moving, I put some distance from any bike or car quickly.
As you may know, I find group riding especially unsafe.

Quote:
I am still tense when in heavy traffic real bummer but i can also say that I am 100% more relaxed than a few weeks ago and experience is helping me relax too. My rides into work are amazing so currently just dealing with staying relaxed and calm in heavy traffic.
It is just normal, as you feel more vulnerable than when driving your car.
The perception of high speed (of your bike as well as of the cars surrounding you) becomes a "mental reality" of lack of space and time to react to so many sources of danger.
As your eyes jump from one car to another, your brain becomes overwhelmed and disoriented.

The feeling of control induced by lower speed (more space and time to react) and broad vision calms you down.
Try keeping your main sight forward and far ahead, while watching every other vehicle only with your peripheral view and quick regular glances to your mirrors.

Proper vision while riding takes time and practice to develop.
"Twist of the Wrist 2" dedicates four chapters to vision education alone.
Copied from there:
"While riding, every decision you make is governed by the amount of space you .........think, believe or feel you have.........How (the rider) can see enough space to stay calm?"

The technique is about consciously keeping a wide screen vision (fear and anxiety tend to narrow your field of sight) while constantly scanning that wide field with your awareness rather than with your eyes (which is a quicker and safer way).
That tells you where you are respect to your always changing surroundings.

Next you need to learn to immediately and fluidly react to that information: you need to know and seek your safest location for that instant and you need to develop the skill of moving quickly from that location to the next safest location (dictated by traffic and conditions for the next second).

That is a combination of awareness, riding strategy and agility skills, which are your three first lines of defense (before the riding gear has to be used).
Agility skills are what you have been practicing in that parking lot, those that allow you to quickly, assertively and safely change direction and speed of your machine.

Quote:
Also regarding heavy traffic, I have noticed some bikers will take the third lane over and cut in. What I mean by this is we have scenarios where a three lane one way section of road develops and that far right third lane eventually becomes a turn lane. Obviously in heavy traffic you can easily maneuver on a bike to the far right lane and scoot up, put on turn signal and pop back in to the flow of traffic pretty easily. That being said, it is legal(well I think it is) I have done it in my car many...many...many times but I am afraid that I might cause some road rage down the road especially if I am traveling at the same time as these other cars day in and out.
Tray staying in your lane (ahead or behind, never next to cars that can sweep you while making a sudden change of lanes) and changing lanes slowly (so others have time to correct mistakes).

Short-cuts in traffic are not for motorcycles: a rider that develops that bad habit, sooner or latter will find a short-cut to the hospital.
Develop good habits while you are most vulnerable in traffic (around your first six months of street riding); later on, after you have develop solid skills, you can decide what risks are worth to be taken.

Those bikers that you have seen have chosen the associated risks, probably based on their skills and experiences.
Personally, I choose my risks based on the lack of skills and common sense of the riders that share the road with me, rather than on my proficiency.

Quote:
Another scenario, two lane road. one lane for each direction. You have to turn left and cross traffic to get to destination and therefore stop traffic behind you. My mindset was to place the motorcycle in the middle of the lane so that cars can't as easily get past me. My thought was if i am too far to the left I might get clipped. Far right side is just stupid
Avoid that situation at all costs !!!
Go around and make a U-turn, go around the block, find a traffic light to do it, etc.
That is an accident very likely to happen, about which you have zero control once you put yourself in that traffic situation.

In the rare case that you have no alternative, slow down or speed up so you find the proper time to turn while still rolling on the center of your lane.

Many times is better deal with oncoming traffic than blindly hoping that the cars following you will see you and react on time while you are a sitting duck in the middle of where nobody expects a bike to be stopped.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 5th, 2015, 11:17 AM   #85
chemist
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
You are welcome
Don't rush on the street, don't rush learning and learn things correctly the first time.
I know I know but I REALLY appreciate the reminder. Sometimes i feel like a kid in a candy store that can't buy anything. Sound wisdom my friend but I constantly have to remind myself of this

Yes, I always use and protect the whole width of the lane that my bike occupies.
I try other bikes like any other four-wheel vehicle: the farther from me the better.
For stop lights and non-moving situations, it is not dangerous; but as soon as we start moving, I put some distance from any bike or car quickly.
As you may know, I find group riding especially unsafe.
Good to know! i will do the same. I am unfamiliar with your group ride story but my current logic is to avoid them like the plague so I will just continue to do so.

It is just normal, as you feel more vulnerable than when driving your car.
The perception of high speed (of your bike as well as of the cars surrounding you) becomes a "mental reality" of lack of space and time to react to so many sources of danger.
As your eyes jump from one car to another, your brain becomes overwhelmed and disoriented.

The feeling of control induced by lower speed (more space and time to react) and broad vision calms you down.
Try keeping your main sight forward and far ahead, while watching every other vehicle only with your peripheral view and quick regular glances to your mirrors.
Thanks motofool. I do think this is unrelated to speed and more related to traffic. Same rules apply though as it sounds. It makes sense that my vision is screwing me up and I do need to work on viewing a " broad vision with peripherals" that makes a lot of sense in light of this subject. This will be my main focus on my ride home today!!
Proper vision while riding takes time and practice to develop.
"Twist of the Wrist 2" dedicates four chapters to vision education alone.
Copied from there:
"While riding, every decision you make is governed by the amount of space you .........think, believe or feel you have.........How (the rider) can see enough space to stay calm?"

The technique is about consciously keeping a wide screen vision (fear and anxiety tend to narrow your field of sight) while constantly scanning that wide field with your awareness rather than with your eyes (which is a quicker and safer way).
That tells you where you are respect to your always changing surroundings.
Perfect !! again good insight
Next you need to learn to immediately and fluidly react to that information: you need to know and seek your safest location for that instant and you need to develop the skill of moving quickly from that location to the next safest location (dictated by traffic and conditions for the next second).
I think I am decent at this...minus the whole "immediately" bit. So my own assessment tells me to hone in on awareness and agility . Not ignoring strategy but this will help me break the information down into my weakest points
That is a combination of awareness, riding strategy and agility skills, which are your three first lines of defense (before the riding gear has to be used).
Agility skills are what you have been practicing in that parking lot, those that allow you to quickly, assertively and safely change direction and speed of your machine.

Tray staying in your lane (ahead or behind, never next to cars that can sweep you while making a sudden change of lanes) and changing lanes slowly (so others have time to correct mistakes).

Short-cuts in traffic are not for motorcycles: a rider that develops that bad habit, sooner or latter will find a short-cut to the hospital.
Develop good habits while you are most vulnerable in traffic (around your first six months of street riding); later on, after you have develop solid skills, you can decide what risks are worth to be taken.

Those bikers that you have seen have chosen the associated risks, probably based on their skills and experiences.
Personally, I choose my risks based on the lack of skills and common sense of the riders that share the road with me, rather than on my proficiency.

Noted motofool. I will continue to chill in traffic
Avoid that situation at all costs !!!
Go around and make a U-turn, go around the block, find a traffic light to do it, etc.
That is an accident very likely to happen, about which you have zero control once you put yourself in that traffic situation.

In the rare case that you have no alternative, slow down or speed up so you find the proper time to turn while still rolling on the center of your lane.

Many times is better deal with oncoming traffic than blindly hoping that the cars following you will see you and react on time while you are a sitting duck in the middle of where nobody expects a bike to be stopped.
hmm. Good point on simply avoiding it as I really wasn't sure how you guys were going to respond to this one. That scenario is how you enter my subdivision but I can always go down the road or enter from the backway!!!

my comments in bold...hopefully not to hard to read

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old May 7th, 2015, 10:54 AM   #86
chemist
ninjette.org member

RE: earplugs. So i have finally gotten to a point where I can't stand riding without earplugs!! That being said, I have been using disposable earplugs from work that are readily available. i would like to try some nicer/fancier earplugs that would not snag as easily when putting on a helmet and in theory be a bit better feeling/protection.

While on protection, I have noticed a few things about my alpinestar textile pants that I really don't like. When I initially poured through the research of what gear to get i INSISTED on having a connecting pant/jacket combo. So, I got my perf leather astar jacket and found some textile astar pants that zip into them. However, when zipped in, the knee pad/protection while in the riding position is above my knee? Now when I am standing they are fine but I really don't like this design and have been a bit leary about the protection anyway. With all that being said, I have had many more cold days than warm days and my commute into work will always be colder and I could in theory sweat like a dog on the way home. I am thinking of getting some perf. leather(a-star missile pants).

My concern is that i could no longer wear sweat pants underneath the leathers when it is cold. I could probably get some thermals and use my cycling wind protection gear under the leather pants and be fine though. My main concern would be in the cooler months wearing perf. leather. Are there non perf. leather astar pants out there? is it asinine to want non perf leather for the summer?

Should I look at "riding jeans" and screw the theory of a connected system?

Old May 7th, 2015, 11:00 AM   #87
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Yes, there is non perf A* leathers that should zip to your jacket. But really though, as time goes on, you may end up with at least 2 sets of gear (hot vs. cold) and maybe even a wet set.

Having different sets that connect or go over offers you options on those iffy days or where it's not really hot, and not really cold... just mild, like today .
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old May 8th, 2015, 02:23 PM   #88
liberpolly
ninjette.org guru

Name: Poul

Motorcycle(s): 1999 Triumph Legend "Arwen", 2006 Ninja 650 "Matsuo Hotaru". 2010 Ninja 250 "Firefly" - sold.

On cold days I wear 100% wool underarmor under my leathers, pants and/or shirt - it's paper thin, unobtrusive, and very warm.

Old May 8th, 2015, 03:35 PM   #89
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
.......... Should I look at "riding jeans" and screw the theory of a connected system?
Blasphemy !!!

http://www.sportrider.com/motorcycle...t-to-wear-when

Old June 27th, 2015, 06:26 PM   #90
chemist
ninjette.org member

figured I would give an update and let everyone know at the same time that I am still happily chugging away at the motorcycle miles

On gear: Planning on three outfits. Summer perf. leather, rain suit and winter wardrobe(which I am still figuring out). I have admittedly been a bit disappointed with A-stars. My nice leather perf jacket takes some delicate zipper work with the zipping the jacket together and has been known to come undone from the bottom up which is certainly a safety issue Probably will go dainase or aerostich racer crafter for winter commute.

I have now done two oil changes and am sitting on 11.1k miles. Have everything lined up for my 11.4k service and will be switching to stainless steel brake lines simply due to the fact that my rubber brake lines will probably need replaced. I am also changing all fluids. I figured that changing everything out will still cost me less than taking it in.

Finally found my gear hot Really though is is not bad at all. I rode in leathers all last week with a heat index over 100. On the way in to work I take back roads and around 3-4 o'clock in the dead of the heat I take some ice and dump it down my jacket and take the highway home(perfect!!!).

Only 1 incident to date! I was coming up to an intersection with a red light and was slowing to a stop. I had a line of cars backed up in the turn lane and I always stay to the far right in this situation as to avoid somebody changing there mind and going straight. Sure enough, I had a car jump out of the turn lane right into me but I was pretty aware of the situation and knew that no cars were to my right and swerved into the next lane over, honked my horn, stopped at the light and chilled! Really surprised at how calm I was and I am sure that the lady was more freaked than I was.

Anyway, smooth sailing! Really enjoying this journey. I have been contemplating a 600cc but want to wait until winter and I want to get a track day in on the 300 first.

Old July 15th, 2015, 05:07 PM   #91
chemist
ninjette.org member

Just feeling a little "unseen" today. Not sure if it is because I am one of the few motorcycles on the road in this heat or everyone is just in a hurry to move or what…

Had two or three cars today almost come out at me today. Interestingly enough, all right hand turns. I was in the right hand lane for these moments and normally I stay in the left lane( middle of the road, more visible etc.). I still try and zig zag left and right when I see left hand turners but I am just venting a little bit. No real close calls but I had to grab the brakes today ALOT more than normal.

In all honesty, I had a moment today where a car was sticking out into the road to turn right and I was prepared to stop. Car of course only saw me after a second glance and had to slam on the brakes. Now I knew from my surroundings that I was 90% certain I was the only one around. I veered into the left lane without looking(rather than grabbing a fistful of brake). I was pretty confident in this move but I am beating myself up for moving over into unforeseen circumstances as I was no 100% on surrounding situation.

Old July 15th, 2015, 07:27 PM   #92
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Cool

Quote:
........Now I knew from my surroundings that I was 90% certain I was the only one around...........
When you are the only vehicle, drivers have more difficulty seeing you against the background.
Their first glance is for detecting threads, big things moving; once the brain makes a check mark on that, the command to merge follows (as you have been seen but not computed).

Use you high beam during the day.

Old October 29th, 2015, 04:14 PM   #93
chemist
ninjette.org member

Updates! No wrecks!

Still trucking along and I will at 14,700miles i have had less "close encounters" by taking the interstate home and backstreets in to work than any other route. I still make it a habit to not sit in anyones blind spot but have had 1 incident where a car tried to come into my lane as I was passing. A simply honk of the horn and staying on the opposite edge of the lane prevented any fluctuation in my heartbeat.

I am officially looking at upgrading. yamaha r6 and gsxr 600. I won't deny any accusations for upgrading merely for sound and passing power. I would like to say that I have tracked the 300 but family has taken precedence in my time allocation.

I am still concerned with my growing lack of fear while on the bike. I don't want to come off sounding crazy but I want my journal to reflect that I can ABSOLUTELY see how people end up in wrecks after riding for 6000-7000 miles. I am not doing anything more than I used to really but I am simply much more relaxed and a little bit more lazy. Hopefully this journal will continue with a zero wreck policy and my awareness will remain high and alert!

I have some heated gear on the way that I am planning to use in the hopes that I can commute down into the 30s. Hopefully I will continue to put on miles until it ices/snows.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old October 29th, 2015, 04:33 PM   #94
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
It's getting easier because you now have some experience and skill, the lack of fear is because you haven't set a harder goal for yourself and working toward it.

Happy for you though, glad to see your all shiny side up and enjoying the ride.

Thanks for the update!
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2015, 02:30 PM   #95
chemist
ninjette.org member

Moved to a gsxr 600.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...10#post1064510

that being said, the 300 was perfectly fine for my needs. I am happy I switched and wouldn't change it but I do think that the 300 would have been totally fine for several 10k more miles. I also could have used some track experience before switching.

This is my final installment in this thread. I will continue to practice emergency braking with the new steed and keep you guys posted. I don't think this was the optimal track to take for maximum safety and skill improvement but if that was the main point, none of us would be riding bikes. I am still likely to be overtaken in the twisties by a skilled veteran but that is fine with me until I get some track time. I have come to the mindset that fast paced canyon riding just isn't for me…just too dangerous. Ill take it to the track.