ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Videos

Old June 28th, 2016, 01:35 PM   #1
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Unhappy Motorcycle Sent Flying

Link to original page on YouTube.

Looks like a new Yamaha R3 and probably a new rider to go along with it. Could it have been avoided? I think so. I don't stay behind vehicles that look to be carrying poorly tied down loads for this very reason.

Hopefully the rider is okay and nothing is seriously broken. This is why we wear gear folks. Shorts and athletic shoes are never a good idea.

Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.

Old June 28th, 2016, 01:55 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Wow, that sucks and I bet it hurt too.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 28th, 2016, 02:11 PM   #3
motodancer
ninjette.org member

Name: S

Motorcycle(s): 08 250

Maybe he/she couldn't tell from their POV, but from the car, it looked like it was going to the right, so he/she probably should've gone left.
motodancer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2016, 02:43 PM   #4
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
The motorcyclist was gaining on that boat and trailer pretty quickly. Personally, whenever I see a load like that I keep extra distance. It would have served him well in this situation!

His reaction to braking and swerving though was a bit delayed since the foam hit the asphalt and his brake lights came on well after it was loose.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2016, 02:52 PM   #5
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
You guys notice how the rider thought to pull their arms in tight to their body while tumbling, that's rare to see. In all fairness the car filming was dropping back which makes the rider seem to be closing in twice as fast as what they actually are. That would have made most people crash based on it looked like it wasn't going left or right in a hurry until it suddenly did. I think the rider thought it would have been easy to just swerve around but misjudged the severity of what was to come.

Moral
Odd loads should be approached cautiously.

You should always have a plan B and C on hold in the back of your mind to be used without thought.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 28th, 2016, 03:50 PM   #6
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Ya that sucks. Not too long ago, and not too far from me.

It was pretty hard to tell just where that mat was going to go, but I think it may be a better bet to really clamp down hard on the brakes and head onto the shoulder until the thing stops.

I would say one mistake he intentionally made that day was venturing onto the Interstate wearing shorts - that's a fail.

It almost looked like he could have saved it at one point. If you were standing up and prepared to jump the thing, dirt bike style, it's possible you could have ridden it out. Wouldn't have been pretty, but it could be done.

I like the way the cars swerved around the spinning cycle - and kept going.

You wonder if anyone, or law enforcement, ever caught up with the SUV that dropped it.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2016, 04:55 PM   #7
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
And in today's news section.

https://www.ninjette.org/forums/showthread.php?t=270513
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old June 28th, 2016, 05:23 PM   #8
cadd
cadd cadd cadd

Name: Cadd

Motorcycle(s): 300

MOTM - May '15
Ouch!!!!

It would've been an epic win video if he landed it and kept on going.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old June 28th, 2016, 05:50 PM   #9
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Quote:
Originally Posted by cadd View Post
Ouch!!!!

It would've been an epic win video if he landed it and kept on going.
He was sooo close too. Maybe next time he'll stick the landing.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2016, 06:12 PM   #10
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

Quote:
Originally Posted by rojoracing53 View Post
Moral
Odd loads should be approached cautiously.
You ever been to KY? EVERY load is questionable. lol You just never know if it's held together by duct tape and clothes hangers.

That dood changed lanes before hitting the brakes.

Old June 28th, 2016, 06:14 PM   #11
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Just watched it again, heard the ladies voice say "Oh he got up" right at the end.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2016, 06:45 PM   #12
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

I'm wondering if he had let the brakes off when he went air Bourne if he could have landed it. There's some bounce when he hits and looks like he loses the front.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2016, 07:40 PM   #13
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
How would a person find the driver that dropped it? I mean, other than being there, seeing it drop, and following them?

I agree about wondering if this could have been ridden over. Lighten the front end and see what happens.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2016, 08:07 PM   #14
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
If you watch closely, when he is airborne it's front wheel high by quite a bit. IMO, no way to recover from that on a street bike. It's difficult even on a dirt machine with proper suspension when the front slaps down!

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2016, 06:39 AM   #15
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
How would a person find the driver that dropped it? I mean, other than being there, seeing it drop, and following them?

I agree about wondering if this could have been ridden over. Lighten the front end and see what happens.
It didn't look like the plate on the SUV was visible from the video, so someone would have had to get it after seeing what happened. I would think a call to the State Patrol with a description of the vehicle and direction of travel could also work.

To jump over it successfully you would have to get off of the brake and back on the gas while standing, leaning back, and tugging on the bars. It could be done. He landed a bit off-angle, and it kind of tossed him off to the left. If he had stayed vertical and on the bike he may have saved it.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2016, 08:22 AM   #16
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
seemed relevant at 0:27 for those who are impatient

As far as the jump was concerned, I don't think the rider could have asked for a better take off intentional or not. I can't believe the rear end stayed down and the rebound of the shock didn't send the *** end to the moon. I believe the angle he hit the object sent the bike a little sideways in the air but gonna be hard to combat that. Slap down or not I know the front of my ninja gets really squirrely at speed if it is lofted over bumps or sharp rollers let alone dropping 3 or 4 feet out of the air so with that being said the landing was pretty solid as well, just too much working against the rider to have much of a chance to ride something like that off. Call me impressed with the jump, everything before that though not so much.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2016, 08:26 AM   #17
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
seemed relevant

As far as the jump was concerned, I don't think the rider could have asked for a better take off intentional or not. I can't believe the rear end stayed down and the rebound of the shock didn't send the *** end to the moon. I believe the angle he hit the object sent the bike a little sideways in the air but gonna be hard to combat that. Slap down or not I know the front of my ninja gets really squirrely at speed if it is lofted over bumps or sharp rollers let alone dropping 3 or 4 feet out of the air so with that being said the landing was pretty solid as well, just too much working against the rider to have much of a chance to ride something like that off. Call me impressed with the jump, everything before that though not so much.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2016, 09:18 AM   #18
rojoracing53
Fast-Guy wannabe

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja250, 2011 RM-Z250, 2004 NSR50,

MOTM - Jan '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacinNinja View Post
If you watch closely, when he is airborne it's front wheel high by quite a bit. IMO, no way to recover from that on a street bike. It's difficult even on a dirt machine with proper suspension when the front slaps down!
I've jumped both a R1 and a Honda RS125 over the crash gap outside turn one at Willow springs raceway. It's got a 2' lip then like a 30' gap/trench on the other side. The idea is to knock over ghost ridden bikes so they can't continue across and center punch riders in turn 2. Both times I exited the asphalt at over 100 mph and scrubbed my speed down with the rear brake to a guesstimated 60ish before blipping the throttle and yanking back on the bars for dear life. When you consider the extremely loose desert terrain riddled with soft ball sized rocks it's amazing I was able to hit the jump strait after getting kicked around by the loose rocks. I've known of 6 times that riders have hit that jump and I'm the only one to have not crashed. Two of the other 4 attempts resulted in a broken back and a broken neck, luckily both the riders were not paralyzed.

So could the rider have landed his surprise jump? Yes but it would have more to due with luck then skill.
rojoracing53 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2016, 11:51 AM   #19
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
I've concluded a fat rear tire @10 psi would have stabilized the bumps.
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2016, 11:54 AM   #20
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Jumping a sport bike is NOT to be taken lightly. The landing is no easy task ijs....

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.