Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycle Gear

Notices

Old June 30th, 2016, 10:58 AM   #1
Jaserion
ninjette.org member

Name: Jase

Motorcycle(s): Ninji 300

Leather or textile?

as new rider should i get leather or textile gears first? i ordered a set of textile, but after reading this forum for the past day or 2 i get the impression that i should i get leather gears first. any recommendation would be greatly appreciated.

thanks!
Jaserion is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2016, 11:04 AM   #2
Panda
not an actual panda

Name: dan

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250, 2009 CBR600RR (Sold)

Pleather.

But seriously...

Textiles are more comfortable for riding around in.
Leathers are more comfortable for crashing in.

I've crashed in both. Would not recommend. F-------. Would not buy from in the future.
Panda is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2016, 11:08 AM   #3
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
I don't think anyone will argue that leather is better.

The question is do you think fabric is enough?
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2016, 11:15 AM   #4
Jaserion
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
I don't think anyone will argue that leather is better.

The question is do you think fabric is enough?
i dont really know. i know for certain that i'm not speed demon. i'm rather a cautious person but i'm fully aware that i'd fall at this beginning stage. sadly.

Old June 30th, 2016, 11:20 AM   #5
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
You should buy the best gear you can afford.

I personally wear a leather jacket and textile pants with leather gloves, boots and a full faced helmet.

I am looking at getting some leather pants soon.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2016, 12:42 PM   #6
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

Can't beat leather for its abrasion resistance. Quality textile should protect you in a crash, but it probably won't be fit to use again after that, whereas leather can often do multiple crashes.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2016, 02:04 PM   #7
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
My jacket is leather, but for pants I most often wear my bike jeans which have kevlar linings and kneedpads. I do a lot of commuting and running errands and whatnot. What gear you choose will depend on what you do on the bike. Going out for the afternoon? Leather will probably be good. Going to work? Maybe textile overpants that you can take off once you get there.

I'd recommend a leather jacket, whichever pants you choose.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2016, 02:27 PM   #8
broken neck
ninjette.org guru

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Special Edition (sold), 2017 CRF250 Rally

As a new rider, I would say but something you're very confortable in. You don't want to be disturbed by clothing that might hinder your control of the motorcycle.

Quality textiles might be a good option since they forgive a little more if they don't fix exactly.

Leather is better for the reason above, but since the are stiffer, they have to fit very well. Lets say, if the sleeves of the jacket are too long it might interfere with your gloves ad then it might be more difficult to control the bike. Same thing might be said about pants length.

Other thing I find important. Your tolerance to the temperature. I have a somewhat low tolerance to hot and humid weather. I try to wear my leather suit as often as I can, but when it gets too hot for me outside, I switch to my textiles. I realized that when I get too hot in my leather suit, I tend to be more impatient, less confortable, that lead to poor decision making which can be more dangerous than wearing my textiles.

Hope it helps...
broken neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2016, 04:28 PM   #9
Z1R rider

Name: Roger

Motorcycle(s): 1978 Z1R, 1999 EX250

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Oct '16
A fellow I know looped his Gixxer with textile gear, this is the seat of his pants, his butt and legs didn't look much better.
shreaded pants.jpg

PS: he also had jeans on under the pants

Last futzed with by Z1R rider; June 30th, 2016 at 08:47 PM.
Z1R rider is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2016, 05:28 PM   #10
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
You're no speed demon, okay.

Here's my standard visualization exercise:

Imagine yourself riding in a van, the kind with a sliding side door. You're wearing whatever gear you choose to ride in. The van is traveling about 40 mph, which is a reasonable estimate of the kind of speed you'll be going in typical crash scenario.

Go to the side door and slide it open. Crouch in the opening. You'll be somewhere between two and three feet off the pavement -- the same height as if you were riding.

Watch the pavement go by. Take a long, close look. Get a good feel for the speed. Imagine yourself hitting that pavement and what it will do to you.

Now roll out.

Do you think the gear you've chosen will protect you?
Do you think ballistic nylon will stand up to sliding down pavement that's as abrasive as a belt sander?
Do you think that loose, comfy jacket will keep the armor in place so that it actually protects you?
Do you think the jacket will stay in place and protect your skin when the road tries to rip it off your body like a rapist?
Do you think that the shorty textile gloves you got for comfort will protect your hands and wrists when you instinctively try to break your fall with your hands?

Leathers are expensive, but consider the cost of injury. Last fall I wound up in the hospital for a simple staph infection. Nothing but bed rest and IV antibiotics for a week... no surgeries. My out of pocket cost: $750. The hospital billed the insurance company almost $20,000.

IMHO anything you can do to prevent injury, almost regardless of cost, will likely pay for itself the first time you call on it to save your delicate hide.

I choose perforated leather from neck to toe, with gauntlet gloves, proper riding boots and Level 2 back protection. I am entirely confident that I could roll out of that van door and suffer nothing but a bruise.

For my own reasons (which are not yours) I prefer to dress for the crash, and adjust my expectations and routine to accommodate my choice of gear.

That means carrying street clothes in a backpack when I need to change. It means putting up with more heat, and managing that appropriately. It means higher initial costs. But to me it's all worth it because I'm confident that I'm protecting myself.

This is a very personal decision. Your assessment of risk and consequences will differ from mine. Your estimation of the value of money vs, the value of peace of mind and risk reduction will also differ. And most certainly, the balance of comfort vs. protection will differ.

You're free to make your own choice, based on our own priorities. Nobody will look down on you for deciding to wear textile or mesh instead of leather. I've given my reasons. Take it for what it's worth... if my little ATGATT rant makes you think and gets you into the best gear you can buy, I see that as a positive. But if it just gets you to buy decent gear of any kind, it's still a win for all concerned.

Nam et ipsa scientia potestas est.
Heri historia. Cras mysterium. Hodie donum est. Carpe diem.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2016, 05:53 PM   #11
Jaserion
ninjette.org member

thank you so much everyone for your heeded suggestion!! i heard you loud and clear. i will exchange my textile set for a leather set!

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 30th, 2016, 06:52 PM   #12
broken neck
ninjette.org guru

Name: Thomas

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R Special Edition (sold), 2017 CRF250 Rally

Good choice, but be aware, all leather aren't the same... Same thing can be said with textile.

You might want to read this article, I find it very informative:

http://www.roadsafety.mccofnsw.org.au/a/88.html

As well as the other pages on the website.
broken neck is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2016, 07:15 PM   #13
fry1024
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 650R & 2007 Buell Blast

Quote:
Originally Posted by broken neck View Post
Good choice, but be aware, all leather aren't the same... Same thing can be said with textile.

You might want to read this article, I find it very informative:

http://www.roadsafety.mccofnsw.org.au/a/88.html

As well as the other pages on the website.
Good read. Thanks for sharing.
fry1024 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2016, 07:37 PM   #14
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

I've been down at slow speed with a textile jacket. Never again. I have two leather jackets and a pair of leather pants. I haven't been down in my leathers but I know they will protect me better than any textile I can afford. Perforated leather will work just fine in the summer. When it's hot, it's hot. Textile or leather. I'd rather sweat than bleed.

Plus I find my leather jackets to be more comfortable than any textile I've owned or tried on before. Good quality leather will break in nicely and feel like a second skin. Won't flap around when riding like some textile jackets.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2016, 10:52 PM   #15
verboten1

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
The answer is yes. Buy what you will wear.

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2016, 06:15 AM   #16
Hellmutt
Vanilla Gorilla

Motorcycle(s): '11 Triumph Sprint GT & '06 625SMC

Dress for the crash, not the ride. Good textile will typically always be less protective than the worst leather. Full perforated leather isn't so bad, but Jono hit the nail on the head with "rather sweat than bleed."

If it's brutally hot out and you don't want to gear up and sweat, hop in an air conditioned car and don't ride at all that day, imho.
Hellmutt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2016, 07:16 AM   #17
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

A perforated leather jacket is a nice compromise. The perforated tiny holes in the leather allow some air flow. Most perf jackets come with a liner for cold days.

Where you live will effect your decision. If in a dry climate leather is easier to bear. If you live on the more humid east coast then textile is more bearable.

I think a perf leather jacket with some textile pants is a good compromise.

Old July 1st, 2016, 07:44 AM   #18
Suki2003
Ninjette Lurker

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 2003 Ninja EX250 (Cafe, Naked, Wreckurrected)

The jump out of a van scenario is how I explain to non riders as to why gear is essential for me.
People can visualize this and shiver at how their skin will be sanded off by the rough asphalt.
Suki2003 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2016, 09:10 AM   #19
CaliGrrl

Even in the heat, my perforated leather jacket is pretty comfortable. Breathes really nicely. We've had a few days that were pretty hot (hubby's bike thermometer said over a hundred degrees a few times) and I was still happy.

Old July 1st, 2016, 09:59 AM   #20
Ghostt
in your machine

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 98 Ninja 250/F12 aka ZX-2R "SERENITY", 91 Ninja 500/A5 aka ZX-5R "Phoenix", 84 Honda GL1200A "SIREN"

MOTM - Jun '17, May '16, Mar '15
Buy quality gear, my gear is Fieldsheer, I have both leather and textile, for all riding weather, solid, perforated, mesh etc.. same for gloves, also Fieldsheer as well.

It's also worth noting to remember the armour in gear, some jackets don't come with a CE rated back protector, just a piece of foam. Upgrade to CE Level 2 whenever possible.

Motorcycle jeans are good along with additional armor, I myself use the Bohn Bodyguard system under my pants when I wear them.

A.T.G.A.T.T. so I may ride another day.

Link to original page on YouTube.

Link to original page on YouTube.

NOTE: The back of the jacket/right shoulder seems to tear/rip the seams.

ZX-2R BLOG
Twitter and Instagram = Ghostt_Scott
I'm not here to change your mind, just to inform.

Last futzed with by Ghostt; July 1st, 2016 at 12:21 PM.
Ghostt is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2016, 12:05 PM   #21
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

I went down an airplane escape slide a couple weeks ago, it was probably somewhere between a 10 and 15 foot slide. Most people are probably unaware of this, but these slides have a pretty rough surface, probably helps you slide better than smooth rubber, but whatever the case, it's not smooth. I had short sleeves on, and one of my elbows touched that surface on my way down, it hurt like hell, scabbed way up within a couple days, and it didn't even draw blood! This is from a standing start down a slide at maybe 45 degrees, and I landed on my feet with just a couple of steps forward, in other words, I didn't go very fast.

If a rough RUBBER slide can do that to you in the space of 15 feet, what do you think a rough asphalt or concrete road is going to do to you when you start sliding down it at 40 or 50 mph?

I have always worn full leather gear, this little slide just reinforced that. I'm also never wearing shorts on an airplane.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 1st, 2016, 02:19 PM   #22
CaliGrrl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha View Post
I'm also never wearing shorts on an airplane.
Sounds like good advice.

Old July 3rd, 2016, 09:02 PM   #23
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ralgha View Post
I went down an airplane escape slide a couple weeks ago,
Any situation that has me going down an airplane escape slide, I'd gladly wind up with some abrasions as the best case!

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old July 4th, 2016, 10:32 AM   #24
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
Any situation that has me going down an airplane escape slide, I'd gladly wind up with some abrasions as the best case!
Luckily it was just practice!

Old July 4th, 2016, 01:32 PM   #25
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Name: Rob

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

I just spent the 4th of July weekend riding around South Padre Island. I am located in the most southern part of the United States. It's HOT and humid. When I rode over there, the speed limit is 60-75 mph. I went in full gear. Once in the actual island, the speed limit is 30-40 mph. I decided to wear only a helmet so I can experience the difference. It is still hot anyway. The hot wind would dry my sweat so the wind provided no relief to the heat. The heat hits directly to my body and my skin. Dust, dirt, sand and small debris would hit my neck and arms and that hurt. When I left the island, back to full gear. It was very hot but with my leather on, the temperature inside my gear is not as hot as the temperature outside of my gear. The heat hits the leather and not directly my skin. I felt the heat more without my leather. I did sweat more with my gear but felt less heat. My full gear set is
DOT and Snell full face helmet
Leather gauntlet gloves
Leather pants with protective armour
Perforated leather jacket with upgraded back armour and elbow/shoulder armour
Perforated leather boots with ankle and shin protection

Just get leather. Perforated leather gives great protection and some relief when the wind hits your sweat. Is it a pain in the a** to put on and take off? Yes. Would it be more of a pain in the a** to have to recover from road rash? I wouldn't want to find out. Personally, if I go again. I might consider getting textile only for in city speed limits since the speed limit is slow and the traffic moves slowly but anything above 30 mph and it's full leather for me. See the picture below: these are the temperatures we have down here:
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160704_143647.jpg (43.6 KB, 3 views)

Old July 4th, 2016, 01:52 PM   #26
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Rob View Post
Is it a pain in the a** to put on and take off? Yes.
Rob, what do you wear under your leathers?

Avoid bare skin... no T shirts, no shorts. Bare sweaty skin will make getting out of your leathers a real adventure... you'll even stick to the lining.

I wear light, wicking long underwear, both tops and bottoms. It does not increase the heat, it wicks your sweat and it makes getting out of your leathers a piece of cake.

Old July 4th, 2016, 04:36 PM   #27
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by adouglas View Post
Rob, what do you wear under your leathers?

Avoid bare skin... no T shirts, no shorts. Bare sweaty skin will make getting out of your leathers a real adventure... you'll even stick to the lining.

I wear light, wicking long underwear, both tops and bottoms. It does not increase the heat, it wicks your sweat and it makes getting out of your leathers a piece of cake.
I had an under armour long sleeve shirt but somehow that ended up in a garage sale without me knowing about it until a few days later. I didn't mind because I paid $5 for it at garage sale. I bought it specifically for riding. My mother sold it for $10 at her garage sale and told me about it a few days later. Oh well. Hopefully I can do the same with my ninjette if I ever sell it.
So I wear a short sleeve moisture wicking under armour. The jacket is no problem. The pants are the challenge. I first bought them on ebay when I was a starving college student. I graduated, got a good job, and gained a few pounds..I know if I buy those moisture wicking leggings, they will slip on and off easily but I havn't gotten to it. Under Armour has great products. Great company. I own some of their stocks/shares but that's a different topic.

Old July 6th, 2016, 10:57 AM   #28
asdfman
٩(͡๏̯͡๏)۶

Name: asdfman

Motorcycle(s): 09 Ninja 250 held together by duct tape and zip ties

Leather's definitely more protective, but I personally prefer textile for its practicality. I'd say textile for riding on the street, leathers for spirited twistie riding.
asdfman is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2016, 05:27 PM   #29
Ninja Rob
ninjette.org guru

It's hot here.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 20160723_163524_002.jpg (35.4 KB, 1 views)

Old July 24th, 2016, 06:08 PM   #30
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I wear a leather jacket when cool enough, and an armored mesh jacket when it's hot out. I've crashed in both, and they both protect well. I trust the leather one more, and wear it as much as it's practical to.

I used to wear my Kevlar padded jeans a lot, and crashed in them once. They protected me pretty well, with only a couple little abrasions on my legs. But when I started riding my little DT100 on the supermoto track, I got a pair of perforated leather AGV Sport "Willow" racing pants. The first time I went down on them, I was expecting some pain when I hit the track. Instead, it felt like I had fallen into a pile of feathers.

Since then I've mostly worn the leather pants on the road. Surprisingly, they're really not hotter than the jeans. There's a lot more air flow through the perforations than I expected. They do not have the problem mentioned above, of sticking to sweaty skin. The lining is easy to slide out of sweaty or not, and they're perfectly comfortable with just underwear underneath them.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2016, 08:21 AM   #31
UFOmoplata
ninjette.org member

Name: Shoulder Blade

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Hoodrat 250

oops double post

Last futzed with by UFOmoplata; July 29th, 2016 at 10:54 AM.
UFOmoplata is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 26th, 2016, 08:25 AM   #32
UFOmoplata
ninjette.org member

Name: Shoulder Blade

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Hoodrat 250

Top to bottom my (used) gear collected:

Plus side is, leather jacket is very warm in winter. Underarmour long sleeve for summer rides. Leather has that "cool" factor.

Last futzed with by UFOmoplata; July 26th, 2016 at 10:23 AM.
UFOmoplata is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 4th, 2016, 08:09 AM   #33
3ØØ
ninjette.org guru

Name: shinobi

Motorcycle(s): '13 ninja 300

Quote:

I choose perforated leather from neck to toe, with gauntlet gloves, proper riding boots and Level 2 back protection. I am entirely confident that I could roll out of that van door and suffer nothing but a bruise.
i am currently shopping for some new pants&jackets. do you mind sharing that list of said gear?
3ØØ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2016, 05:42 AM   #34
TP Ninja
ninjette.org member

Name: Peter

Motorcycle(s): 300 Ninja

You want a mesh jacket. There are lots of good choices now. Get hi-viz. Leather looks nice but is hot and only for sunny days, when you're probably going to bake anyway. There are vented, waterproof versions but they cost a lot.
TP Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 14th, 2016, 06:43 AM   #35
adouglas
Cat herder

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ØØ View Post
i am currently shopping for some new pants&jackets. do you mind sharing that list of said gear?
Realize that it's a bit late, but I just saw your question.

A* GP-R jacket (bought used) with a Forcefield back protector insert.

AGVSport Willow perforated leather pants (very good value IMHO)

Lionheart race gloves (company out of business, but they're just standard race gauntlets; look for good scaphoid [palm] protection -- e.g. sliders -- and gauntlet style cuffs that go up your arm a bit)

Bilt Trackstar perforated leather boots (discontinued model... despite the name they're basically just touring boots -- I feel these are adequate for the street but wouldn't wear them on the track)

The jacket and pants zippers don't match, of course, but with basic sewing skills it's trivial to sew the appropriate zipper half into the jacket.

Old August 17th, 2016, 04:12 AM   #36
3ØØ
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Realize that it's a bit late, but I just saw your question.

A* GP-R jacket (bought used) with a Forcefield back protector insert.

AGVSport Willow perforated leather pants (very good value IMHO)

Lionheart race gloves (company out of business, but they're just standard race gauntlets; look for good scaphoid [palm] protection -- e.g. sliders -- and gauntlet style cuffs that go up your arm a bit)

Bilt Trackstar perforated leather boots (discontinued model... despite the name they're basically just touring boots -- I feel these are adequate for the street but wouldn't wear them on the track)

The jacket and pants zippers don't match, of course, but with basic sewing skills it's trivial to sew the appropriate zipper half into the jacket.
nice gear setup, but i wont wear leather pants everday. im going to be using my bike all the time, back and forth to work, the store,wherever. on andoff all day, no way im going to wear leather. i needs something that looks normal lol

Old August 17th, 2016, 07:17 AM   #37
adouglas
Cat herder

Fair enough. I freely admit I've adjusted my expectations and usage to accommodate my choices. I don't use the bike all the time. I commute on it when convenient to do so, and I use it for recreation. I don't use it to run errands. It's not a hardcore lifestyle choice for me.

Protection/abrasion resistance is not the only factor at play here. You say that you "need something that looks normal," which I interpret as placing a significant priority on appearance -- higher on the scale than the qualities that leathers provide. That's your choice. There's also cost, comfort, etc. etc. It's a compromise with many tradeoffs... and it's a choice we all make. Your answer is your own.

If you do go down, you live with the consequences of the choices you make. Me, I'll trade looks for protection every time because the consequences aren't worth the risk IMHO. But that's just me.

Old August 17th, 2016, 04:37 PM   #38
3ØØ
ninjette.org guru

^well i cant imagine walking around all day in leather pants, going to the bank, store, mall, etc. and work. maybe my solution would be a good pair of overpants?

Old August 18th, 2016, 10:00 AM   #39
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3ØØ View Post
^well i cant imagine walking around all day in leather pants, going to the bank, store, mall, etc. and work. maybe my solution would be a good pair of overpants?
You're not gonna win... Just do whatever you want to do anyway
I got some icon overpants, I doubt they slide well, but they sure do look an feel good

Old August 18th, 2016, 10:12 AM   #40
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyBravo View Post
You're not gonna win... Just do whatever you want to do anyway
I got some icon overpants, I doubt they slide well, but they sure do look an feel good
It's not a matter of winning.

It's a matter of whether you want to look normal/cool/comfortable/how much skin you are comfortable with losing vs protecting yourself as much as possible.

No one can stop you from wearing jeans when you ride. Do it with the knowledge that if something happens, you're going to be hurting for a while. Having a nurse at the hospital scrub out road rash with a brush will make you think about it in a whole new light.

My philosophy is: Sweat is cheaper than skin. I don't care if people think I'm nuts walking around in leather pants, I'm never going to see them again anyway. I do it frequently and in riding boots too. People at the gas station? Grocery store? Traffic on the road? Why do I care what they think I look like? My skin is worth 100x what my pride/ego is. I wear the gear I do because most of them are inattentive assholes absorbed in their phones not looking for motorcycles anyway.

Most buildings have a bathroom of some sort you can change out your leathers for jeans in. Jeans fit very nicely in a small backpack or tail bag, just get to work 5 minutes early.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.