ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Notices

Old July 13th, 2017, 02:02 PM   #2041
"A"
vampire

Name: A

Motorcycle(s): 2 many 2 list

And yet you don't need to speed to get pulled over and get shot to death, all you need is the right profile & skin tone.
"A" is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.

Old July 13th, 2017, 02:20 PM   #2042
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Also, be polite and don't piss off the cop if you do get pulled over.
That's a huge thing. When I was 20 I did things that I probably should have gone to jail for, but I was very respectful and polite to the various cops, and would almost always get a warning or less, with the cop saying something like "I know how easy it is to get going faster than you think on a motorcycle."
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2017, 02:29 PM   #2043
Demonik
V-Twin Addict

Name: Robert "Doc"

Motorcycle(s): '99 Buell X1, '09 Buell 1125CR,'10 Kaw EX250 (down to one), '13 MV Agusta F3

Still important: https://youtu.be/JGhoLcsr8GA

"I wrecked a moped once trying to pick up bitches in front of a party doing a stoppie" 14/10 would do again.
Demonik is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old July 13th, 2017, 04:59 PM   #2044
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Every interaction I've had with the nice local enforcement officer went well because I was polite and honest. I had one dude who was a bit of a dick, but even then I feel like he was one of those guys who's looking for a fight; if I'd been a dick back, he would have given me the book.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 13th, 2017, 05:55 PM   #2045
"A"
vampire

It's easy to be polite and honest.. as long as you pretend your civil rights are not violated without cause other than your profile/skin tone..

Old July 13th, 2017, 06:40 PM   #2046
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Uhh...? "A", I'm not sure what you're trying to say on this one.

I've always been pulled over for speed and owned up to my mistake. I've definitely earned each one of those stops so it's not like I was pulled over for some BS reason. Being polite and honest involved me eating humble pie, not accepting civil right violations.

Outside of that, I'm not a dickhead towards cops. From watching other people interact with cops, pretty much if you aren't a dickhead, you won't have any trouble.

Old July 13th, 2017, 10:56 PM   #2047
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15

Oh boy I love the bicycle threa-

I'll come back later...
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

4 out of 4 members found this post helpful.
Old July 14th, 2017, 06:24 AM   #2048
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Demonik View Post
My female counterpart has some SERIOUS carbon fiber roadbike I call the cheater bike. It cost us thousands and thousands -- I think it says Emonda or something? I'll have to see later. Anyway, hope that gets me in on this thread.
Yay, another Emonda rider! Well, sort of...

Definitely a nice bike, and definitely not cheap. Mine was actually worth more than my car up until January when a small incident with a large deer led me to buy a new one.

Old July 14th, 2017, 08:54 AM   #2049
"A"
vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Uhh...? "A", I'm not sure what you're trying to say on this one.
I'm saying that you don't need to be speeding nor breaking any laws to get pulled over; you just need to fit the profile they are looking for...

That's when civil rights are being violated; LEOs have to give you a reason why they pulled you over, they cannot just pull you over to ask you questions (which just lead you to incriminate yourself).

When you have a system that require LEOs to meet quota, for-profit prison system that need inmates to turn profit.. if you cannot afford to pay the fines/court costs.. you get put in jail.

Get the picture now?

Old July 14th, 2017, 09:19 AM   #2050
allanoue

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
I am polite, cooperative and never argumentative with anyone who is packing. badge or no badge.

Justice can come later.

Keep calm and ride on -Motofool
Never quit on a rainy day -ally99
allanoue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 14th, 2017, 05:16 PM   #2051
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Michigan View Post
Yay, another Emonda rider! Well, sort of...

Definitely a nice bike, and definitely not cheap. Mine was actually worth more than my car up until January when a small incident with a large deer led me to buy a new one.
Dude, I'm loving the Emonda. I liked them ever since the season Trek released them when I was working at a shop that sold Trek among others. I'm on a bit of a fat adventure bike kick right now, but after that, I'll be re-evaluating the road bike situation.

I like the comfort of endurance geometry and honestly I really really like the look of the new Defy Advanced with disk brakes and Ultegra. but... those Emonda's are dead sexy. The proportions are classic and the curves are perfect.

I'm in that my-bike-costs-more-than-my-car club. 2006 Scion tC with 148,000 miles vs a 2017 Norco Optic C7.1 with a custom build spec.

Old July 14th, 2017, 07:15 PM   #2052
Brother Michigan
ninjette.org sage

Name: Aaron

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300

Quote:
I like the comfort of endurance geometry and honestly I really really like the look of the new Defy Advanced with disk brakes and Ultegra.
If I did it all again, I'd probably go that route. I bought the Emonda because I couldn't get the Giant Alpecin TCR Advanced in my size and I was on a race-geometry kick. Looking back on the decision and the type of riding I get to do now (a decidedly "leisurely" pace with my parents and/or wife), it would have been the better choice.

That Emonda Version 2, though...

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old July 15th, 2017, 06:03 AM   #2053
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Lol. I love how they gave such fancy schmancy names to their work. Nerds.

Translating into english:
  • Powermeterized whooda whata... thoroughly defining forces to prove that their FEA model is valid. They usually stick a bunch of strain gauges in as many places as they can, then they have their target sales demographic ride the bike under realistic riding conditions to gather data. In this case, their target demographic is probably a combination of pros and "serious" club riders/racers.
  • FEA... computer simulation of material deformation under various force application scenarios
  • Once all that is done, they also probably did physical failure testing and tons of subjective rider feedback testing

I really appreciate design nerds. That's proper design/testing.

And a lifetime warranty on carbon. Huh, almost like they expect it to last just as long as the legendary mighty titanium *ahem*

Old July 17th, 2017, 06:03 AM   #2054
"A"
vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by allanoue View Post
I am polite, cooperative and never argumentative with anyone who is packing. badge or no badge.

Justice can come later.
Just because someone is packing, doesn't mean that they get to violate your civil rights.
Exact same mentality that allows abuse of power for anyone to carry firearm, so anyone who's packing can get away with anything when encounter unarmed people.

As a retired serviceman, I've worked along side of LEOs for ages; the more I'm exposed to it, the more they look like mob to me.
And all the radial bias and abuse of power are not anything new and never been far in between; only LEOs get caught on videos more due to smartphones with video recording capability.

Quote:
I really appreciate design nerds. That's proper design/testing.

And a lifetime warranty on carbon. Huh, almost like they expect it to last just as long as the legendary mighty titanium *ahem*
Working at TREK dealership for nearly two decades, I've used the pitch line with "Lifetime Warranty" on many products... and they work remarkably well.
It's a lifetime whenever the product fails, but the goal is to get the customer to come back into the store and spend on accessories or services. Profit margin on frames/bikes are small in comparison; as long as the customer comes in the store; stores have better chance to make a profit.
Best item for profit margin: Schrader to Presta valve adapter, cost less than $.10, but sold at $2.50 or more.. I've even seen shops that sell them at $5.00 each.

Working on my next lifetime frame.. need to get some 28 or 32 wide tires.. going to use 1x9 drivetrain with a 40 or 42T charing..

Old July 17th, 2017, 12:49 PM   #2055
MrAtom

MOTM - July '15
I hate those schrader to presta valve adapters. It only took me one time of being hit in the forehead with a valve core to buy a pump that could do both. Glad it wasn't my eyeball.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 17th, 2017, 01:36 PM   #2056
allanoue

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300..............2008 Ninja 500-sold...2009 Ninja 250-Crashed

MOTM - Sep '14
I had a bike that I put an e-bike kit on so had both values on the same bike.

It was good to have a pump that could do both.

Old July 17th, 2017, 03:00 PM   #2057
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Working at TREK dealership for nearly two decades, I've used the pitch line with "Lifetime Warranty" on many products... and they work remarkably well.
It's a lifetime whenever the product fails, but the goal is to get the customer to come back into the store and spend on accessories or services. Profit margin on frames/bikes are small in comparison; as long as the customer comes in the store; stores have better chance to make a profit.
Best item for profit margin: Schrader to Presta valve adapter, cost less than $.10, but sold at $2.50 or more.. I've even seen shops that sell them at $5.00 each.

Working on my next lifetime frame.. need to get some 28 or 32 wide tires.. going to use 1x9 drivetrain with a 40 or 42T charing..

$5???? We sold them for $1.00

That is slick looking, go as big on the tires as she'll fit! What cassette range? 9-speed probably has an 11-36 available, right?

Old July 18th, 2017, 04:19 AM   #2058
"A"
vampire

Not worried about getting low gear range.. probably 32 or 30 would be low enough for NYC commute.

Wide tires to help deal with potholes, metal planks and other pavement irregularities.

Old July 20th, 2017, 05:44 AM   #2059
"A"
vampire

Cool

Since age of 15, I've been pedaling the same mileage as my age on my birthday.
The last decade or so, I ride the route that I have around my house near Valley Forge, PA near horse farm country where there is little traffic, plenty of open space and calm country roads to really soak in the experience, reminiscent the year gone past and think about the people/events that have influenced my life in the last year.

This year, since I'm stuck in NYC area for my birthday, I had to come up with a slightly different plan to my birthday ride. 40+ miles among three boroughs in NYC, crossing two landmark bridges, dodging heavy traffic in summer heat in the city.

Started out in Coney Island, following the Belt Pkwy up to the Verrazano Bridge with nice easy bike path with sea breeze..

You can see the Statue of Liberty among the boats in the water:

Cut into heart of Brooklyn in Prospect Park, where I get two flats from glass shards on the road:

Cross Manhattan Bridge from Brooklyn into Manhattan:

Had planned to stops and took pictures in Manhattan, but the traffic and heat really made it difficult.. Rode into Central Park and up to Harlem.. then cross the George Washington Bridge back into NJ:

Though it's been well over a year since I've lived within NYC vicinity, I can't get used to the hectic pace, tight living space and the constant noise.
Sure I can operate among them, but I think the older I get, I more I crave the quiet countryside, open space, fresh air..

Old July 20th, 2017, 03:22 PM   #2060
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Looks like a nice little pedal trip!
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 20th, 2017, 04:03 PM   #2061
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I got tired of similar problems in the DC area a while back, and we moved out in the tobacco fields of NC.

I always enjoyed driving across the verrazano narrows bridge. As an engineer, I find it awsome (in the old sense, not like now when is seems everything is described as "awsome")
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 22nd, 2017, 11:12 AM   #2062
"A"
vampire

Cool

Some progress with next bike build:
Can't seem to find a good handlebar/stem combo to settle a good position without the crankset/pedals in place.. still waiting on a 42T chainring.

Brake/shiftlevers are just for positioning purpose.. only need one shifter anyway.

Old July 23rd, 2017, 01:56 PM   #2063
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
I stay on the bike path, no police to worry about....just geese.

Old July 23rd, 2017, 05:00 PM   #2064
"A"
vampire

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
I stay on the bike path, no police to worry about....just geese.
Doesn't matter where you stay, if they want to get you, they will get you one way or another.

Old July 24th, 2017, 03:55 PM   #2065
snot
sammich maker

Name: snot

Motorcycle(s): 2013 white 300, 09 KLX 250 SF, 09 thunder blue 250(traded)

MOTM - Apr '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by "A" View Post
Doesn't matter where you stay, if they want to get you, they will get you one way or another.
I have had both good and bad experiences with the police, the good outweighs the bad... I don't stand out for a reason and I do know my rights. It helps that I have family in law and law enforcement.

Old July 24th, 2017, 05:11 PM   #2066
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Okay okay okay... I may have to admit I'm wrong. I still have serious doubts.

I'm really considering going back on my chinese carbon thing. I've been reading online. Been looking for testing and manufacturing details, etc. I'm still not brave enough for and ebay seller. Some are better than others, but I think I'll have the best chances with someone that has a semi-legitimate sounding QC process.

Enter: Carbonda gravel bike. The geometry is what I want. The tire clearance is what I want, and the frame has "the look" to me. Still terrified of the possibility of catastrophic failure? yes. Willing to take the risk? Getting closer but totally undecided.
http://www.carbonda.com/road/gravel/cfr505.html

I can't decide on a paint job.

Old July 25th, 2017, 09:26 AM   #2067
"A"
vampire

Cool

I don't think purchasing a Chinese carbon frame and build a bike frame frame is for everyone, but if you have the tools & resources needed to build a bike frame and experience to tell differences between good vs bad frame characteristics that you're after; Chinese carbon frame is not a huge investment to find out if one suits your needs.

All the testing, QC process aside, only you know what suits you once you throw a leg over it.
Paint is just extra weight.

Quote:
Originally Posted by snot View Post
I have had both good and bad experiences with the police, the good outweighs the bad... I don't stand out for a reason and I do know my rights. It helps that I have family in law and law enforcement.
For most brown people, you don't even need to "stand out" to be targeted.

And most of the time, it doesn't matter if you know your rights, even when you tell them you can't breath, even when you are unarmed...

Last futzed with by "A"; July 26th, 2017 at 05:55 AM.

Old August 4th, 2017, 02:41 PM   #2068
"A"
vampire

Not specifically about cycling.. but sports in general:

Link to original page on YouTube.

Old August 27th, 2017, 11:03 AM   #2069
"A"
vampire

Just completed the gravel bike.. going out this afternoon for a ride.

Last futzed with by "A"; August 29th, 2017 at 11:43 AM.

Old September 2nd, 2017, 06:08 AM   #2070
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I'd rock that

Old September 5th, 2017, 10:24 AM   #2071
allanoue

MOTM - Sep '14
My kind of biker bar.

My ride is front left.

Last futzed with by allanoue; September 5th, 2017 at 06:09 PM.

Old September 5th, 2017, 05:56 PM   #2072
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Al's hardcore on the struggle bus lately when it comes to posting pictures.

Old September 5th, 2017, 06:06 PM   #2073
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
We may have to cancel his "Flawless" achievement reward!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 8th, 2017, 09:12 PM   #2074
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Kewl!!!
I'm 500 kms into my 2000 km Tour but have been stuck in Whistler for the last week waiting for the air to improve. It is EXTREMELY smokey from all the forest fires!!! My trip start was delayed 4 weeks because of road closures. Anyhoo; the point of this post is there is a silver lining: the Whistler Gran Fondo Race (157 km, Vancouver to Whistler Sea to Sky) is tomorrow morning (Saturday) and I get to mingle in the race atmosphere at the finish line!!!
We had a little rain today so the air has improved dramatically this evening thus a little night ride and walk through the village.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_5005.jpg (59.6 KB, 0 views)
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 13th, 2017, 08:18 AM   #2075
"A"
vampire

Interesting article with human-powered vehicle speed records..

World Human Powered Speed Challenge

70+ mph into headwind..

Old September 16th, 2017, 09:25 AM   #2076
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
U of Toronto is a cool bunch of engineering students. They compete with that bike in the ASME college competition as well. They're awesome.

I love articles like this. Thanks for sharing.

Old September 18th, 2017, 05:58 PM   #2077
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
So... I got some new (to me) wheels. Very low mileage. Well taken care of by a buddy. Used to be his race wheels. He's since gotten something new.

Offered me a deal, couldn't resist. Comfy bike is now fast bike.

Puppers decided to photobomb.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 21769570.jpg (38.3 KB, 8 views)

Old September 18th, 2017, 06:56 PM   #2078
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

I don't wanna take my mountain bike apart and get it serviced!!!! WAAAAAAAAAAAAHHHHHHHHH

I'm going to be lazy and just take it to the shop to get its maintenance done. I'm not in the mood to deal with hydraulic brakes and all that right now. lol

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old September 19th, 2017, 06:26 AM   #2079
"A"
vampire

Cool

I guess that's one reason I have not had hydraulic brakes on my bicycles, along with many other "latest & greatest" like electronic shifting, etc..
To me, bicycles are about utility, simplicity and sustainability.

If I cannot service a bicycle myself, with easily accessible parts/consumables, likely I will not keep it for long and produce more waste.

Additionally, I rarely require the performance of hydraulic brakes, cable actuated disc brakes are plenty stopping power for me; even when sustained braking is required over miles traveling downhill.

Similarly with motorcycle technology: traction control, ABS.. seems to take away from rider's ability to master the craft.

Old September 19th, 2017, 04:45 PM   #2080
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
You can do this. Hydraulic brakes on bikes are easy. Very user friendly and easy to get right. No. Need to fear.

A, I get where you're going with that thought. but at the same time, you've ridden hydraulic disks, right?