ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old October 28th, 2017, 09:27 AM   #1
john pierson
ninjette.org member

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): '00 SV650,'02 EX250,'15 EX300

Old & curious!?

How many other Golden Agers are here? I'm 71 w 60+ yrs riding. Got an '02 250 2yrs back in trade for a cafe'd Vulcan 750. Loved it so this Fall swapped my '02 Futura for a '15 300. Less can be more-the 300 is so much like the RD400 I raced in the 70s. Said I'd ride the Aprilia 'til at least 70, now I hope to hit 80 on 300.

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.

Old October 28th, 2017, 09:33 AM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
There are a few members here of distinguished age. Always happy to see people enjoy their activities well into their years. A few of them still race with the best of em too.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2017, 09:50 AM   #3
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

This linked thread itself is getting on in years, but it shows that many of our fellow ninjette riders have been doing this awhile...

How Old Are You?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2017, 06:08 PM   #4
Kevin1956
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

I'm 61. My 250 is my first Japanese bike. I've ridden on the street for 46 years. I've owned a Triumph, two BSAs, a Royal Enfield, a BMW, two Indians and three Harleys, all vintage stuff. I figure I finally deserved something new with a warranty, so in 2012 I bought my Ninja.
Kevin1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 28th, 2017, 08:24 PM   #5
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevin1956 View Post
I figure I finally deserved something new with a warranty, so in 2012 I bought my Ninja.
What do you think of it so far, compared to all the others.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2017, 03:51 AM   #6
Ram Jet
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Kawasaki 250 Ninja, 1982 Honda Ascot FT500

Quote:
I'm 61. My 250 is my first Japanese bike. I've ridden on the street for 46 years. I've owned a Triumph, two BSAs, a Royal Enfield, a BMW, two Indians and three Harleys, all vintage stuff. I figure I finally deserved something new with a warranty, so in 2012 I bought my Ninja.
I'm 69. Ain't the new millennium bikes the cats-ass! Glad you got off those old two wheeled wood stoves.

Bill

Old October 29th, 2017, 10:01 AM   #7
john pierson
ninjette.org member

ASCOT is a WEBBER?!

I had a black one a few yrs back-very fun. Just needed rattling inner pipes welded and starter mechanism lubed.

Old October 29th, 2017, 01:30 PM   #8
Kevin1956
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
What do you think of it so far, compared to all the others.
I love it. Disc brakes! Reliable! It's definitely better handling and actually quicker than most of my previously owned bikes, which now seem like farm equipment. You see a lot of people in my age group on Harleys or other fat cruiser bikes. Bad choice. As you age, you lose strength, athletic ability, and reaction time. Having a well handling, quick stopping, and light sport bike helps one regain the edge. I have a full set of luggage and am comfortable riding it long distances. I kind of wish the seat wasn't made of concrete though....... I still like vintage bikes, but I'm tired of working on stuff. Owning the old stuff was profitable, always made money when I sold one. I'm to the point though where all I want is to do is turn the key and ride without a bunch of prep work or the worry of actually making it to my destination or not.
Kevin1956 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 29th, 2017, 01:33 PM   #9
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I've been very happy with the one I bought for my daughter to ride. I ride it more than she does. I love the handling, and found that it's a particularly good Dragon bike. I'm OK with the seat, but maybe something aftermarket or custom could help you.

Old October 29th, 2017, 01:47 PM   #10
Ram Jet

Quote:
I love it. Disc brakes! Reliable! It's better handling and actually quicker than most of my previously owned bikes, which now seem like farm equipment. You see a lot of people in my age group on Harleys or other fat cruiser bikes. Bad choice. As you age, you lose strength, athletic ability, and reaction time. Having a well handling, quick stopping, and light sport bike helps one regain the edge. I have a full set of luggage and am comfortable riding it long distances. I kind of wish the seat wasn't made of concrete though....... I still like vintage bikes, but I'm tired of working on stuff. Owning the old stuff was profitable, always made money when I sold one. I'm to the point where all I want is to turn the key and ride without a bunch of prep work or the worry of actually making it to my destination or not.
And ain't it nice not having to try to synch. twin Amal carbs? Good for about 100 miles if you do. I do wish the Ninja had kick start though.

Bill

Old October 29th, 2017, 02:55 PM   #11
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Thread title sounds like the name of a bad soap opera.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 29th, 2017, 03:02 PM   #12
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I was thinking it sounded like it had to do with sexual experimentation.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old October 29th, 2017, 03:31 PM   #13
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by choneofakind View Post
Thread title sounds like the name of a bad soap opera.
We can be old and still curious. It doesn't make us bad persons.

Bill

Old October 29th, 2017, 05:26 PM   #14
john pierson
ninjette.org member

Boney arse syndrome!!?

The Ninjettes and SVs have TERRIBLE SEATS! My 250 has front foam from an early GW w sheepskin over it. The SV has extra foam covered w vinyl nearly as high as the passenger pad. So far the 300 has a gel pad w sheepskin but will get more padding over the Winter. I've changed ergos on many bikes over the years now if there were triples for the little Ninjas for tube bars-HMMM??

Old October 29th, 2017, 06:20 PM   #15
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by john pierson View Post
The Ninjettes and SVs have TERRIBLE SEATS! My 250 has front foam from an early GW w sheepskin over it. The SV has extra foam covered w vinyl nearly as high as the passenger pad. So far the 300 has a gel pad w sheepskin but will get more padding over the Winter. I've changed ergos on many bikes over the years now if there were triples for the little Ninjas for tube bars-HMMM??
I'm going to re-contour and add foam to my Ninja seat this winter. I found some great Naugahyde ($29.00/sq.yd.) on line and a local upholstery shop that has good dense foam. That king/queen seat bump is going to go. That's about where I want my butt on a long ride. I did the same thing to my Honda FT500 seat a couple of years ago.

Bill

Old October 30th, 2017, 08:09 AM   #16
isuoboe
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda CB125S, 2006 Ninja 250

Ride On: Old Guys Rule

The title is the license plate frame my 43 year-old son (a rider) gave me. For some reason he didn't think I would use it. I'm 70. When I bought my 2006 Ninja 250, I was only 65 and my son said I was too old to ride around on that kind of bike. Turns out, when he was in college in the 90's, his dream was to own one. (We'd never talked about motorcycling. I got back to it after he bought one.)

I had a Kawasaki 85 in the late 60's when I was in college. Sold it as a basket case for $30. Can't believe I did that. Got riding again in 2009 with a 1981 Honda CB1125S that was frozen when I got it. I had a blast getting it going fairly easily and cheaply. I hope to buy another non-working bike or 2 and get them going.

In 2012 I bought the 2006 ninja with 1040 miles on it, up to about 12,500 now. It's very dependable, which is great, but I do enjoy the tinkering part of my toy too. I'm in the middle of a tire change now. (When I'm done with it, and assorted related tasks that come up, I'll post about it at my earlier DIY tire mounting (or something similar) thread.)

Partly because I'm not large (150lb. and down to 5'8 1/2") I've always liked the idea of riding a bike, rather than driving a car that only has 2 wheels. In other words, I've always liked the idea of small bikes I can "rule" over. (Even though the 250 actually weighs twice what I do!)

To me, older riders have advantages of perhaps having more common sense, not needing to be cool, and a realization of one's eventual mortality. Hence, I bought the yellow bike others passed up; I wear hi-viz helmet, gloves and jacket; I have a head light modulator, a "back-off" brake light, and a loud "bad-boy" horn (which I seldom need).

Keep on riding safe!

Old October 30th, 2017, 08:52 AM   #17
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by isuoboe View Post
To me, older riders have advantages of perhaps having more common sense, not needing to be cool, and a realization of one's eventual mortality.
Yes, true. Even older riders that don't have decades of riding experience are likely to have these advantages.

Old October 30th, 2017, 09:12 AM   #18
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Yes, true. Even older riders that don't have decades of riding experience are likely to have these advantages.
That's a fact... Even seen a young person or twelve around here with sense; an some without

Old October 30th, 2017, 10:06 AM   #19
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Ha, well... I remember when I was 20 and bought the '72 H2. I had some common sense, but little sense of mortality. I guess the "some common sense" got me through that period. When someone would bring up getting killed on a motorcycle, I'd joke about not caring, since once I was dead, I wouldn't know I was dead. Somehow that doesn't seem like a good argument any more.

Old October 30th, 2017, 11:01 AM   #20
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

66 years young and been riding 51 years. The evolution of motos and cars has been interesting to reflect on. I think we will see a continuing acceleration of change in our vehicles.

Old October 30th, 2017, 11:30 AM   #21
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by greenaero View Post
66 years young and been riding 51 years. The evolution of motos and cars has been interesting to reflect on. I think we will see a continuing acceleration of change in our vehicles.
We're almost there!!!

DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2017, 02:27 PM   #22
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
To me, older riders have advantages of perhaps having more common sense, not needing to be cool, and a realization of one's eventual mortality. Hence, I bought the yellow bike others passed up; I wear hi-viz helmet, gloves and jacket; I have a head light modulator, a "back-off" brake light, and a loud "bad-boy" horn (which I seldom need).
Yep, I think this is part of what is keeping me safer. We even have twin bikes- mine's a yellow '06, too! I have a lot of patience these days, more than kids when I first started driving. I'm new to bike, but not new to traffic, and I think it's helpful. I know how to watch the longer traffic-flow, wait until the crazy people have cleared the area a bit, and how to place myself to stay out of the way of the crazy person that I haven't seen do anything nuts yet but who will do something shortly.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 30th, 2017, 04:28 PM   #23
isuoboe
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 1981 Honda CB125S, 2006 Ninja 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Yep, I think this is part of what is keeping me safer. We even have twin bikes- mine's a yellow '06, too! I have a lot of patience these days, more than kids when I first started driving. I'm new to bike, but not new to traffic, and I think it's helpful. I know how to watch the longer traffic-flow, wait until the crazy people have cleared the area a bit, and how to place myself to stay out of the way of the crazy person that I haven't seen do anything nuts yet but who will do something shortly.
Yup! I think of all the things I notice when on the bike that I wouldn't have noticed if cars were my only transportation mode; then I try to keep the attention up similarly in the car.

Old October 30th, 2017, 04:31 PM   #24
john pierson
ninjette.org member

"Who stole the eggs of the Dinosaurs"

An old Starship line I believe. We are like those little critters running around among the great beasts. I treat every object moving or not as if it could get me.

Old October 30th, 2017, 04:37 PM   #25
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by john pierson View Post
An old Starship line I believe. We are like those little critters running around among the great beasts. I treat every object moving or not as if it could get me.
Ditto! I think motorcycle riding has made me a better auto driver. Hence, I have never been involved in an auto accident caused by myself

Bill

Old October 30th, 2017, 05:46 PM   #26
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Quote:
Yup! I think of all the things I notice when on the bike that I wouldn't have noticed if cars were my only transportation mode; then I try to keep the attention up similarly in the car.
Yep! I get about 30 seconds of warning now, before something goes sideways.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ram Jet View Post
Ditto! I think motorcycle riding has made me a better auto driver. Hence, I have never been involved in an auto accident caused by myself

Bill

Me, too! I thought I was a pretty good driver before, but I've gained a lot of awareness now that I've started riding the bike. Positioning in regards to other vehicles, watching traffic patterns, that kind of thing.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 1st, 2017, 09:35 AM   #27
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

I am 70 almost 71 still love to ride, started riding legally when I was 16 and that was on a 250 two stroke a lot different from what I ride now. I had a long spell when I did not ride, I had to have a car and could not afford to have a bike as well. My last three years of work I bought a bike for commuting that was a new 2009 Ninja 250R I rode it for 6 months and then changed for a Suzuki GSXF 650 which suited my needs much better. I am now on my final bike that's to say when I become too feeble to maneuver the K1300s I will give up the 250Kg is not a problem on the move, but pushing it around the garage is hard work. Having owned a super bike I could not go down to something smaller and lighter you become accustomed to having the power 30 mph to 170 mph in 6th gear is just insane but real fun.
Steve

Old November 1st, 2017, 10:30 AM   #28
Ram Jet

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveL View Post
I am 70 almost 71 still love to ride, started riding legally when I was 16 and that was on a 250 two stroke a lot different from what I ride now. I had a long spell when I did not ride, I had to have a car and could not afford to have a bike as well. My last three years of work I bought a bike for commuting that was a new 2009 Ninja 250R I rode it for 6 months and then changed for a Suzuki GSXF 650 which suited my needs much better. I am now on my final bike that's to say when I become too feeble to maneuver the K1300s I will give up the 250Kg is not a problem on the move, but pushing it around the garage is hard work. Having owned a super bike I could not go down to something smaller and lighter you become accustomed to having the power 30 mph to 170 mph in 6th gear is just insane but real fun.
Steve
I hear you. I'm not as strong as you Swiss fellows. I need a bike I can pick up if I drop it so the 250 Ninja is OK. My Ninja reminds me of my old 1959 Alfa Romeo Spyder Veloce. Revvvvv, shift, revvvv, shift . . . you get there just as quickly.

Bill