Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old December 13th, 2014, 03:15 PM   #1
KawasakiKy
ninjette.org member

Name: Ky

Motorcycle(s): Not yet

Fair Buying Price

Hello everyone!! I'm back with more dumb questions lol So I guess the two options you have when buying a bike is a dealer or private seller. I want to know what's a fair price for a used, recent model that you guys are willing to pay for? And also new? Do you guys go by KBB price or do you try to lowball?
KawasakiKy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2014, 04:35 PM   #2
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
It all depends... For a 2008+ Ninja 250 in good working order I would say you have to shell out about $2,000. But I like to show up at people's places and tell them all the crap that's wrong with their bike and say 'I'll give you $1500.' Don't ever ask 'will you take ...' just say 'I'll give you ___.' Be firm, even if you'll go higher.

If it's your first bike and you're not sure what to look for in a used bike, you really should take someone more experienced with you. There are check lists available for what to look for, but someone who's seen a lot of bikes will be able to tell you how normal things look. Things like chains, sprockets, tires, brake pad wear, steering stop dents from being crashed, bent parts, aren't as readily available to the beginner.

A good deal would be under $2,000. If you pay more than $2,500 you really got ripped off. Anything in between is fair if the bike is in decent shape. Don't pay more for people's mods, either..

3 out of 3 members found this post helpful.
Old December 13th, 2014, 04:39 PM   #3
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
^^^^ this
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2014, 04:50 PM   #4
KawasakiKy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
It all depends... For a 2008+ Ninja 250 in good working order I would say you have to shell out about $2,000. But I like to show up at people's places and tell them all the crap that's wrong with their bike and say 'I'll give you $1500.' Don't ever ask 'will you take ...' just say 'I'll give you ___.' Be firm, even if you'll go higher.

If it's your first bike and you're not sure what to look for in a used bike, you really should take someone more experienced with you. There are check lists available for what to look for, but someone who's seen a lot of bikes will be able to tell you how normal things look. Things like chains, sprockets, tires, brake pad wear, steering stop dents from being crashed, bent parts, aren't as readily available to the beginner.

A good deal would be under $2,000. If you pay more than $2,500 you really got ripped off. Anything in between is fair if the bike is in decent shape. Don't pay more for people's mods, either..
You are honestly the best!! Thank you soooooo much

Old December 13th, 2014, 05:44 PM   #5
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by KawasakiKy View Post
Hello everyone!! I'm back with more dumb questions lol So I guess the two options you have when buying a bike is a dealer or private seller. I want to know what's a fair price for a used, recent model that you guys are willing to pay for? And also new? Do you guys go by KBB price or do you try to lowball?
Welcome, KawasakiKy !!!

Include additional costs in your budget.
Please read this:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/New_Riders
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2014, 08:31 PM   #6
cbinker
Track Clown

Name: Chris

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R, 21 MV F3 800, Kawasaki 400 build

MOTM - Sep '15
KBB and NADA are books that insurance base rates off of and what banks will give you a loan for, those are typically places sellers start.

TEAM ALFALFA
www.apexassassins.com
cbinker is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2014, 10:01 PM   #7
KawasakiKy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Motofool View Post
Welcome, KawasakiKy !!!

Include additional costs in your budget.
Please read this:
http://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/New_Riders
Thanks a lot!! This really helped

Old December 13th, 2014, 10:02 PM   #8
KawasakiKy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cbinker View Post
KBB and NADA are books that insurance base rates off of and what banks will give you a loan for, those are typically places sellers start.
Ohhh okay, thanks!! Good to know

Old December 13th, 2014, 10:12 PM   #9
Motofool
Daily Ninjette rider

Name: Hernan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250

MOTY - 2016, MOTM - Dec '12, Jan '14, Jan '15, May '16
Cool

Quote:
Thanks a lot!! This really helped
You are welcome

I also recommend reading through our Riding Skills section.
Motofool is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2014, 10:16 PM   #10
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
If you've got a friend who rides, bring 'em along with you so they could identify any problems with the bike. I didn't do this when I bought my bike. I just talked the dude down to a really unreasonably low price because I convinced him something was terribly wrong with the bike. He said it burned little oil at high RPM's and had white smoke at startup. truth is, older ninjas just burn a little oil at high RPM's. It's just how the bikes are. And the "white smoke" was condensation, so nothing to worry about there. I told him he needed to rebuild the top end for it to be worth anything and he panicked and sold it to me for a low price. It's a slightly scummy thing to do, but this guy was a total prick and he was NOT making any friends with anyone, so I didn't really lose sleep over it.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2014, 10:46 PM   #11
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

This time of year you can expect prices to be about $500 cheaper than in the summer. But at the same time, the supply of bikes goes down as well...

This varies by area but in Massachusetts..

a pregen (07 and prior) will run about $1,000.

A newgen (08-12) will run you $2,000.

A 300 will run about $3,500.

(winter prices)

KBB prices generally are not a good indicator for bikes, just find a bike you like and link it here and we'll let you know what a fair price would be for it.

Like Katie said, mods don't increase value but pay attention to what mods they post. an aftermarket seat is always nice

Old December 13th, 2014, 11:02 PM   #12
Sirref
Private Joker

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): '99/'01 Ninja 250 "sketchy", '13 Ninja 300 "yoshi", '03 GSXR 600 "merlin"

MOTM - Mar '14
There is one mod that increases value though.

a scottoiler, basically an automatic chain lubrication device.
a nice aftermarket seat and exhaust is nice since I don't like the idea of paying for them in full but they don't add value unless you let them, I do so love my 2bros exhaust on my pregen but I never would have bought it on it's own.

Old December 13th, 2014, 11:05 PM   #13
Somchai
Freedom for Germany

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R-FI

Quote:
Hello everyone!! I'm back with more dumb questions lol
Hello Ky and a warm welcome to you.
As an already old man please let me give you one advice: You never ask a dumb question, at the most what you get can be a dumb answer.

I wish you to find a good bike and have fun with it
Somchai is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 14th, 2014, 01:20 AM   #14
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
To answer the question, I believe if the seller is being upfront on honest and open with the bikes history and every thing I see supports the claims, I am more willing to pay asking price. If the bike's condition leaves me any reason to doubt the seller, I walk. If a seller lies to me about the bike, I won't gamble on an unknown when so many other good bikes and fair sellers are out there.

Also...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post

A mod only increases value if the buyer agrees it's valuable.

I may think my handlebar risers are valuable, but a long armed buyer may think they are scrap. A Scottoiler may be ideal for me, but for someone who wants to be able to check their chain and sprockets at the same time as the chain is being lubed, a Scottoiler is just in the way.

Most mods run a hundred bucks, give or take. Some more, some much less. Don't let a seller pressure you into a higher price because of a fancy mod. As a new rider, you may not know if that mod truly is something for you or if its just needless fluff.

If you find a bike that just speaks to you, do your research on everything claimed. So when you go see it you will not only spot that cracked fairing of a bike "never laid down" but also see if the aftermarket can on there really is an Area P or just a MGP Growler with a fancy sticker on the side.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old December 14th, 2014, 05:33 AM   #15
KawasakiKy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrAtom View Post
If you've got a friend who rides, bring 'em along with you so they could identify any problems with the bike. I didn't do this when I bought my bike. I just talked the dude down to a really unreasonably low price because I convinced him something was terribly wrong with the bike. He said it burned little oil at high RPM's and had white smoke at startup. truth is, older ninjas just burn a little oil at high RPM's. It's just how the bikes are. And the "white smoke" was condensation, so nothing to worry about there. I told him he needed to rebuild the top end for it to be worth anything and he panicked and sold it to me for a low price. It's a slightly scummy thing to do, but this guy was a total prick and he was NOT making any friends with anyone, so I didn't really lose sleep over it.
Hahah I need to find someone like you to bring with me when I find a bike. Lol thanks for your post

Old December 14th, 2014, 05:34 AM   #16
KawasakiKy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hero Danny View Post
This time of year you can expect prices to be about $500 cheaper than in the summer. But at the same time, the supply of bikes goes down as well...

This varies by area but in Massachusetts..

a pregen (07 and prior) will run about $1,000.

A newgen (08-12) will run you $2,000.

A 300 will run about $3,500.

(winter prices)

KBB prices generally are not a good indicator for bikes, just find a bike you like and link it here and we'll let you know what a fair price would be for it.

Like Katie said, mods don't increase value but pay attention to what mods they post. an aftermarket seat is always nice
Yeahhh I had the same numbers in mind. Thank you!!!

Old December 14th, 2014, 05:36 AM   #17
KawasakiKy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sirref View Post

a nice aftermarket seat and exhaust is nice since I don't like the idea of paying for them in full but they don't add value unless you let them, I do so love my 2bros exhaust on my pregen but I never would have bought it on it's own.
That's one thing that I hate about buying from a seller. They factor in the mods into the prices and they are some I could've done without lol thank you!!

Old December 14th, 2014, 05:36 AM   #18
KawasakiKy
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
To answer the question, I believe if the seller is being upfront on honest and open with the bikes history and every thing I see supports the claims, I am more willing to pay asking price. If the bike's condition leaves me any reason to doubt the seller, I walk. If a seller lies to me about the bike, I won't gamble on an unknown when so many other good bikes and fair sellers are out there.

Also...

A mod only increases value if the buyer agrees it's valuable.

I may think my handlebar risers are valuable, but a long armed buyer may think they are scrap. A Scottoiler may be ideal for me, but for someone who wants to be able to check their chain and sprockets at the same time as the chain is being lubed, a Scottoiler is just in the way.

Most mods run a hundred bucks, give or take. Some more, some much less. Don't let a seller pressure you into a higher price because of a fancy mod. As a new rider, you may not know if that mod truly is something for you or if its just needless fluff.

If you find a bike that just speaks to you, do your research on everything claimed. So when you go see it you will not only spot that cracked fairing of a bike "never laid down" but also see if the aftermarket can on there really is an Area P or just a MGP Growler with a fancy sticker on the side.
Thanks very much for your post!!