ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old June 16th, 2012, 05:36 PM   #1
Largo 5.0
ninjette.org member

Name: Glenn

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R

Engine Issues: Bike Dies when given throttle?

Just wanted to get some opinions on an issue I am facing on an '08 Ninja 250R. The bike only has 5300 miles on it and has been serviced regularly. I recently sold it to a friend of mine and today he starting having issues today. I had no problems the entire time I owned the bike, not even a hiccup. Here are the issues hes having:

The bike started to stumble when given gas and throttle response was poor upon riding this morning, however it was rideable. When arriving at his location (near by) he decided to choke it while he ran inside. The bike sat with full choke for about 5 minutes (I know, thats not good. I told him). After turning the choke off the bike would stumble and stall when given any gas. It got to the point that it wouldn't even crank.

We drained the bowls and let it set for a bit and finally got it to start. It idled fine and revved freely so I took it for a test ride. As soon as it was given any type of load (letting clutch out) it would try to stall out. I choked it to about 3000 RPM and got it rolling. Only made it about 50 feet before it started to bog under throttle. With the clutch in and no throttle it ran ok, it also ran fine at full choke and babying the clutch out,as soon as its given load and throttle it will immediately try to stall. Even if your are feeding it quite a bit of rpm when you try to slip the clutch out the revs just plummet. After limping it about 500 feet it sounded a bit choppy, but would idle without the choke. Without load (in neutral) it will rev, but it stumbles a bit and struggles to rev to high RPM. The revs do not climb as quickly as they should for the amount of throttle given either.

Sorry for the long read, just fishing for possible ideas?

My action plan for tomorrow is to pull the plugs (possible fouling due to excessive choke?) and then go from there.
Largo 5.0 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2012, 06:06 PM   #2
Gregg_VA
Lucid, yet unaware.

Name: Gregg

Motorcycle(s): 2006 Goldwing; 2009 KLR-650; 2011 Ninja 250; 2010 FJR-1300

Did you pull the plugs and check for fouling? Running the bike with the choke on for longer then getting the wheels rolling is not good on the plugs. Is the idle set correctly? I had a similar problem with my FJR where it would idle fine but when I blipped the throttle it would cut out. Turns out the idle was about 200-300 RPM low.
IBA #485, Goldwing Darkside #646
http://va-ldrider.blogspot.com
Gregg_VA is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 16th, 2012, 06:08 PM   #3
Largo 5.0
ninjette.org member

Will be checking the plugs tomorrow. Are the accessible if you remove the tank? I dont have the factory tool for them...

Idle is set fine, hasn't been touched since I owned the bike and I never had any issues.

Old June 16th, 2012, 06:58 PM   #4
Gregg_VA
Lucid, yet unaware.

Concerning the plugs location, I must defer to someone else. My Ninjette is too new. I have never changed the plugs.

Old June 17th, 2012, 03:47 PM   #5
Largo 5.0
ninjette.org member

We pulled the plugs and changed them today. The old ones didn't look too bad, but since we had them out we put new ones in. I drained the bowls again and filled the carb with straight seafoam. We hooked the tank back up and then flushed the bowls through with gas from the tank to get the seafoam out. We added a bit of seafoam to the tank as well.

The bike is running much better, but still isn't right. Its not 100% smooth, but its ride able. Problem is, it has a major dead spot right at 6000. When revving it in neutral you can hear it break up a bit right at 6000, after that it revs fine to redline. However, when you're riding it, and its under load, it stumbles really bad at 6000 and will not rev further unless given alot of throttle. If you give it a ton of throttle it will break up for a second or two and then it will break through and pull all the way to redline as if nothing was wrong. The current symptoms are 100% repeatable and identical every single time.

Ideas?

Old June 19th, 2012, 10:11 AM   #6
Largo 5.0
ninjette.org member

Anybody have any suggestions?

Old June 19th, 2012, 10:19 AM   #7
pop0tart
ninjette.org member

Name: Dash

Motorcycle(s): stolen :(

pull carburetors and clean them.
pop0tart is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 19th, 2012, 10:48 AM   #8
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
sounds like a clogged pilot jet.

or maybe a missing air filter that is throwing the jetting off.

Old June 19th, 2012, 01:17 PM   #9
Gregg_VA
Lucid, yet unaware.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
sounds like a clogged pilot jet.
Clogged jets is what I am thinking as well. Carb cleaner spray and an old toothbrush will do wonders if you can get the carbs off and work on them. Sounds like there is a small piece of debris or hardened (gone bad) fuel that is deposited on them. Depending on the bike, this can happen very quickly.

Old June 19th, 2012, 03:25 PM   #10
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Have you checked to see if anything is blocking or has gotten in the snorkel. I've heard of several perfectly running bike start running poorly all of a sudden, only to find out, that air flow was being obstructed by something that was under the rear passenger seat.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 20th, 2013, 03:51 PM   #11
midnight917
ninjette.org newbie

Name: M

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

I have the same issue.

Last year, my bike wouldn't start at the beginning of the riding season. A new battery later as well as a complete pull apart of the bike to clean the carbs n such, it was running fine. My issue last year was I didn't run it enough between the seasons and add the proper chemicals to the tank.

This year, I didn't add chemicals but I sure to run it for 10 min every 2 weeks. Battery works fine, and on choke it runs ok but if I push on the throttle it instantly drops RPM or dies completely. Any idea what to do?
midnight917 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2015, 03:06 PM   #12
GeekyReese
ninjette.org member

Name: Reese

Motorcycle(s): EX250-e1

Did anyone ever figure out what causes this? I'm having the same issue. I did a valve adjustment, synchro my carbs, and rebuilt and cleaned the carbs.
GeekyReese is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 13th, 2015, 05:18 PM   #13
xXecuterXx2
ChocolateMilk Addict

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): '05 EX-250 "Kallie" 85 KLT 110 ATC "Murdock"

Typically, when you say you cleaned the carbs, they aren't clean.

*Ask me how i know*

Old November 13th, 2015, 05:40 PM   #14
GeekyReese
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by xXecuterXx2 View Post
*Ask me how i know*
How do you know~?

Old November 14th, 2015, 12:40 AM   #15
xXecuterXx2
ChocolateMilk Addict

Name: Maurice

Motorcycle(s): '05 EX-250 "Kallie" 85 KLT 110 ATC "Murdock"

Once upon a time, when i was 15, (april) my neighbor had a sexy ninja just waiting in his garage, of course the carbs where dirty and he's 50 and not interested and neither is his son. So i figure, why not give her a go and see if I can get her off of him, long story short i figured out how to clean the carbs, didn't do it right the first 9 times until i found a solution and fixed her. He said 700 bucks'll be cool and i can make payments till i die if please, but i just got a job so hopefully not (Yay for being 16 right?). Any ways, her names Kallie, and here she is.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_6411.jpg (128.6 KB, 30 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6412.jpg (127.2 KB, 14 views)
File Type: jpg IMG_6413.jpg (138.7 KB, 14 views)

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old November 16th, 2015, 10:18 AM   #16
GeekyReese
ninjette.org member

That's a wonderful story with a happy ending, and a beautiful bike

Turns out you were right, had a clog in one of the pipes, seems carb cleaner didn't want to do the trick, ended up boiling hot water and pouring it through the carbs, seems to have done the trick.

Old July 7th, 2021, 09:36 AM   #17
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Saving this thread as I feel it’ll be handy. Having a similar issue with my 2006 I’ve owned it for 4 years and I’ve never cleaned the carbs and I suspect the carbs have never been cleaned at all. It runs but when I give it gas it dies. I’ll replace plugs too. I’ve never cleaned the carbs or even removed them but I’ve done all the work on her myself and I intend to keep that going. If anyone has any tips before I get started please let me know! I’ll YouTube carb removal and go from there.

Old July 20th, 2021, 10:35 AM   #18
Sandr
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

https://imgur.com/9WKxgZn

Problem: I lived in NY so 8 months of the year the bike was in the garage covered up. only has 9k miles on it, driven very lightly.

My 09 Ninja 250r Idles great when the choke is on. When i press the accelerator 10-15% the rpms drop until the bike stalls. At first i thought it was a dirty carb so i disassembled it several times cleaned and put them back in. Same issue.

FIX:The circled hose was ever so slightly stretched out and would not fit snug, even with better hose clamps on it. I swapped out the hose with a 1mm smaller one to guarantee it fits and put on new hose clamps for insurance and it fixed my problem.

The bike is a little jumpy at low speeds, but on Highway speed it runs perfectly. i suspect a minor tuning is in order
Sandr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 24th, 2021, 12:46 PM   #19
JayVapes
ninjette.org member

Name: Honorio

Motorcycle(s): Ninja EX250

Send it to ducatiman

Old August 4th, 2021, 05:12 AM   #20
Bob KellyIII
Retired motorcycle Mc.

Name: Robert

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Kawasaki Ninja 250R, 2021 CSC TT250, 1977 Triumph Bonneville 750cc,2001 Honda XR650L.

Yes most of the time when a person says they pulled the carbs and cleaned them all they did was clean the float bowl..... the float bowl isn't the problem guys its the passageways in the carburetors !!!! and to get to those passageways you have to disassemble the entire carburetor !
take everything off that can come off drill out and remove the airscrew caps
and remove the airscrews and all the tiny goodies in there... and THEN use your carb cleaner in every hole ! and then use a small wire and clean the emulsifier tube main jet and idle jet too... and don't for get Those passageways as well.... then re assemble the things without loosing any pieces, "o"rings or tiny washers on the air screw... and assemble it in the right order....
if that is too much for you to handle, pack them up and send them to Ducattiman
back in the 1970's it was rare if you had a jet passage way plugged, but now days it is very, very common, the passage ways are much smaller and dirt in the fuel more prevalent...
I had a XS650 Yamaha that I had to clean the carburetors 3 times before I finally found the obstruction.... it was in the fuel bowl ! Yes they sometimes put small passage ways in them too !!! and I've been into bikes all my life
yet that one threw me for a loop !
letting a bike set for more than 3 months and you can have carb isues.
letting it set for 9 months and it's guaranteed, a year or more and it will not run till you clean them..... fuel goes bad in 2 months or so they say
so a fuel stabilizer is needed.... they used to put it in all fuel, but now days you have to pay extra for it..... isn't progress fun ?
....my 2 coppers !
Bob.......