ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Notices

Old August 5th, 2015, 01:34 PM   #1
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2015 Vespa GTS 300 IE Super, 1989 Honda Elite 80 (SOLD)

Just got a Sena SMH10R Bluetooth Pack

We just got a two-pack of the Sena SMH10R Bluetooth gizmos. Main use is for intercom when we ride together (most weekends) but haven't had a chance to test it out on a road trip yet. We did link them up and test them in the house, we looked pretty awesome walking around inside talking to each other through our helmets with mirrored visors down.

Initial setup was a bit frustrating, as I couldn't get their manager software to recognize the devices to update the firmware on Mac OSX. Switched over to Windows and it worked fine. It took some experimentation to figure out the best place for the speakers and microphone but I ended up with a clean install that's still comfortable. My wife said that she can't even tell that anything is different on the inside of her helmet. We have Scorpion EXO-R410's and they have spots for speakers already in the liner. This is the slim profile unit made for sport bike riders so the battery is separate and it's mounted on the back of the helmet.

Phone pairing was easy, and once it pairs to your phone it will automatically re-pair when you turn it on. That's a nice feature because I don't need it on all the time but it's convenient to connect it just by turning the helmet unit on with my phone still in my pocket.

I've used it for GPS directions, which worked really well. Much better than looking down at the GPS or written directions.

I tried listening to music but I actually didn't like it as I prefer to focus on the ride and safety. Sound quality for music is pretty bad, but that's not why we bought them anyway.

On an iphone it pulls up Siri if you hold the button and you can send text messages, make calls etc. I've sent a few messages at stoplights, and have called my wife a few times when I was on a slow road with no traffic. The sound quality on both ends is great - she couldn't even tell that I was on my bike even with my visor up at 35 mph except at very high revs.

The speakers can get quite loud, much louder than I'd want. I didn't have any problems hearing directions even at high speeds with my visor down or up.

The intercom has a feature that lets you connect to the most recent intercom friend by speaking loudly or blowing into the mic.

Will report back once we test it out on a ride together, but thus far we're very happy with them and glad we got them. The pack of 2 was $300 from Amazon and comes with everything you need. Also includes a boom mic if you have a modular or 3/4 helmet.

So far I'd give them 9/10 for the firmware/manager software issues.

Check out my music at http://www.proteusmusic.com
Proteus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2015, 01:36 PM   #2
VaFish
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Good to hear. I was looking at getting a set as my daughter learns to ride.
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2015, 05:55 PM   #3
TheJeepGuy
ninjette.org member

Name: Jaxon

Motorcycle(s): TRX 450 R Quad, no street

I was looking at the SMH10R series, and I'll defiantly rake this into consideration.

Thank you (:
TheJeepGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 5th, 2015, 06:31 PM   #4
verboten1

Name: Jason

Motorcycle(s): '75 CB550:.'82 XV920:.'00 KLR650:.'00 EX250:.'08 Ninja 250

MOTM - June '15
My wife and I have been using them this year. I went on a trip with a bunch of sena users,it was a blast

Ride more, worry less.
verboten1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2015, 06:13 AM   #5
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250R, 2015 Vespa GTS 300 IE Super, 1989 Honda Elite 80 (SOLD)

Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post
My wife and I have been using them this year. I went on a trip with a bunch of sena users,it was a blast
Some of the setup examples they have in the manual are nuts - like 4 users each paired to their own smartphone, all paired to a shared bluetooth music device and shared bluetooth gps, 4-way intercom, one user is paired to a non-sena group of intercom users who are paired to a CB hub that's paired to all truck drivers in the area.

Old August 6th, 2015, 09:02 AM   #6
verboten1

MOTM - June '15
We had one pairing that was to the guy with the 20, all 8 people in the group. Then there was another pairing to the front group, one to the back group, and I had my phone and my zumo connected.

The cb thing would be pretty cool! Lol

Ride more, worry less.

Old August 6th, 2015, 09:06 AM   #7
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
I need to figure out the fancy pairings. My 5 has only ever been to my phone and iPad, or phone and one other user.

Be cool to have someone act as a hub to link a whole group.
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2015, 09:08 AM   #8
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

I used to play on the CB when I occasionally drove a reefer truck at my old job, from my experience it seems that trucker chatter falls into one of three categories:

1. Alerts to the location of highway patrol
2. Political/Religious/NSFW rants
3. Completely unintelligible mumbling

Old August 6th, 2015, 09:29 AM   #9
verboten1

MOTM - June '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
I need to figure out the fancy pairings. My 5 has only ever been to my phone and iPad, or phone and one other user.

Be cool to have someone act as a hub to link a whole group.
Luckily, I can have 4 pairings, so I could talk to 4 people, each of those 4 could be connected to 4, so I would be connected to them if they were connected to the guy I was talking to.

It is cool to BS while slabbing it. Then some tunes, and directions. I'm not sure how I managed before

Ride more, worry less.

Old August 6th, 2015, 09:30 AM   #10
verboten1

MOTM - June '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Proteus View Post
I used to play on the CB when I occasionally drove a reefer truck at my old job, from my experience it seems that trucker chatter falls into one of three categories:

1. Alerts to the location of highway patrol
2. Political/Religious/NSFW rants
3. Completely unintelligible mumbling
1 is the important one. I used to hook up the CB for our car club caravans to the shows.

Ride more, worry less.

Old August 6th, 2015, 09:38 AM   #11
Proteus
Daily Ninjette Rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by verboten1 View Post
1 is the important one. I used to hook up the CB for our car club caravans to the shows.
Yeah it took me a while to figure out what they were saying, I forget the terms they used but it certainly wasn't as clear as "there's a cop sitting here"

Old August 6th, 2015, 09:53 AM   #12
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

"the jelly has left the doughnut" hahaa

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2015, 01:15 PM   #13
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
I love my SMH10-11. I like that the speakers and mic are permanently mounted in the helmet, but I can pop the "brain" off if needed. I generally take it with me when I leave my helmet on the bike while in the store or whatever.

I've only ever used it linked to my phones, but it works great for music and GPS (Waze has some voice-activated stuff, but it doesn't seem to be tied into the standard/Siri voice stuff of the iPhone).

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2016, 12:24 PM   #14
headshrink

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): '08 Ninja 250r, '14 CBR500r

I was just looking at the Sena SMH10R, primarily as a bike-to-bike intercom. How would you rate the reliability/range of the intercom? It seems this unit gets a lot of really good reviews, but I read a few that said the intercom didn't work well for them. Is it using Bluetooth or another type of radio to communicate between the bikes (I would think Bluetooth wouldn't be strong enough)?
headshrink is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2016, 12:48 PM   #15
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by headshrink View Post
I was just looking at the Sena SMH10R, primarily as a bike-to-bike intercom. How would you rate the reliability/range of the intercom? It seems this unit gets a lot of really good reviews, but I read a few that said the intercom didn't work well for them. Is it using Bluetooth or another type of radio to communicate between the bikes (I would think Bluetooth wouldn't be strong enough)?
It uses Bluetooth to communicate between units. They claim 900 meters on the model I have. I find that a bit optimistic and only line of sight.

But I do love it as a bike to bike intercom. So far we have only done 3 of us in the group. It's great to have a normal conversation at speeds up to about 70 mph. We have talked at speeds faster than that, but it gets a little difficult with all the wind noise. For some reason my daughters unit seems to pick up more wind noise than mine or my sons. I think it has to do with how her mike is mounted and her helmet vents.

My daughter and I have the SMH10R and my son has the SMH10-10. My son does occasionally bump the dial on his when he turns his head and it disconnects him from the group. But a touch brings it back.

Old April 25th, 2016, 12:54 PM   #16
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by VaFish View Post
It uses Bluetooth to communicate between units. They claim 900 meters on the model I have. I find that a bit optimistic and only line of sight.

But I do love it as a bike to bike intercom. So far we have only done 3 of us in the group. It's great to have a normal conversation at speeds up to about 70 mph. We have talked at speeds faster than that, but it gets a little difficult with all the wind noise. For some reason my daughters unit seems to pick up more wind noise than mine or my sons. I think it has to do with how her mike is mounted and her helmet vents.

My daughter and I have the SMH10R and my son has the SMH10-10. My son does occasionally bump the dial on his when he turns his head and it disconnects him from the group. But a touch brings it back.
So it's actual range isn't a problem then on group rides? How about added wind noise from the unit itself disturbing airflow around your helmet? I'd realistically only use it occasionally, but commute daily, so it'd be stuck to my helmet all the time.

Old April 25th, 2016, 01:01 PM   #17
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
So it's actual range isn't a problem then on group rides? How about added wind noise from the unit itself disturbing airflow around your helmet? I'd realistically only use it occasionally, but commute daily, so it'd be stuck to my helmet all the time.
We haven't had a problem with range on group rides, 900 meters is stretching it, but on a clear road 500 meters between riders isn't a problem. But if you are riding in the mountains or city and someone goes around a corner and out of sight with solid stuff between you they drop out. Same with over a hill.

I don't think the SMH10R ads much wind noise. Although I haven't taken it off my helmet to compare. I leave mine on all the time, even when I commute. I sync to my phone. One nice thing about that is that my phone sends a "I'm Driving" reply automatically so people don't expect a text back. My wife and kids know I won't text back, but they can call if it is important. I have a Galaxy 5 and it's supposed to allow me to voice control text but it doesn't work very well. I have to touch the phone (with gloves off) to get the voice text to start. Answering a call is just a touch on the Sena (with gloves on).

Old April 25th, 2016, 01:09 PM   #18
headshrink

Thanks for the feedback.

Old April 25th, 2016, 03:31 PM   #19
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

Quote:
Thanks for the feedback.
I just installed a 10R on my helmet. Let me know if you want to mess around with it. I have the remote too but I haven't tested it out yet.
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 25th, 2016, 04:13 PM   #20
RacinNinja
Vintage Screwball

Name: B

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250, 2008 Ninja 250, 2019 KTM 1290SDR, 2017 FZ10

MOTM - Mar '16
I have a pair of the original SENA SMH10's and they are fantastic! Good choice in a helmet bluetooth system.

RacinNinja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2016, 11:14 AM   #21
headshrink

It just occurred to me as I was reading the spec sheet that lithium polymer batteries are the ones that like to explode/catch fire. So how likely is the risk that your head might catch fire in the unfortunate event of your helmet contacting the ground during a crash? (I'm going to buy it anyway, but it would be good to understand the risks.)

Old May 1st, 2016, 12:19 PM   #22
verboten1

MOTM - June '15
Quote:
I have a Galaxy 5 and it's supposed to allow me to voice control text but it doesn't work very well. I have to touch the phone (with gloves off) to get the voice text to start. Answering a call is just a touch on the Sena (with gloves on).
I had no problems with it on my S5 I used google for the voice commands instead of s voice . Hit the button, say ok google, text XXX: message.

I had to set what happens when you hit the sena button though.
The nexus 6 is way easier, since everything is already google. Now I just have to learn the commands for my 20S

Ride more, worry less.

Old May 1st, 2016, 12:57 PM   #23
VaFish

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
It just occurred to me as I was reading the spec sheet that lithium polymer batteries are the ones that like to explode/catch fire. So how likely is the risk that your head might catch fire in the unfortunate event of your helmet contacting the ground during a crash? (I'm going to buy it anyway, but it would be good to understand the risks.)
I guess it is possible but I haven't heard of it happening so I would say the risk is pretty low.

Old May 1st, 2016, 03:25 PM   #24
headshrink

Quote:
I guess it is possible but I haven't heard of it happening so I would say the risk is pretty low.
I volunteer in tribute!

Old May 1st, 2016, 11:21 PM   #25
corksil

Name: TC

Motorcycle(s): A lot.

My only real complaint with the smh10r unit is that the low battery warning is inaudible above 40mph with my helmet. Given, it's not necessarily a valid complaint because my helmet catches a lot of wind and is loud -- but I'll be listening to music and all of a sudden it will shut off.

Have to pull over and turn the unit back on, then re-start the music and keep riding. If it happens a second time within 30 seconds I've learned that it's because the battery is dead. Above 40mph and I can't hear the "Low battery" warning.

Call quality and clarity is excellent with the microphone mounted in the chin area, most people can't tell I'm talking while riding on a bike because the audio is top-notch.

Haven't tried the intercom feature or anything other than music and calls.

Only other real complaint is that the sound quality sucks. There's no bass and it's as if I'm listening through 10 year old blown out car speakers. Does anyone know the impedance of the helmet speakers? I've been considering cutting them out and soldering some in-ear monitors instead on a long enough pigtail to insert them into my ears and then put the helmet on.

Something like these..

I haven't done it yet because I'm not ready to hack into a system that is working and my past use of in ear monitors like the ones in the picture completely destroy any situational awareness because they effectively seal out 99% of all ambient noise. Literally can't even hear the bike and have to shift based on the vibration feel through the pegs.

Old May 2nd, 2016, 12:32 AM   #26
algs26
ninjette.org guru

Name: al

Motorcycle(s): ex300, gave up looking for a 250

Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post
My only real complaint with the smh10r unit is that the low battery warning is inaudible above 40mph with my helmet. Given, it's not necessarily a valid complaint because my helmet catches a lot of wind and is loud -- but I'll be listening to music and all of a sudden it will shut off.

//chop chop

Only other real complaint is that the sound quality sucks. There's no bass and it's as if I'm listening through 10 year old blown out car speakers. Does anyone know the impedance of the helmet speakers? I've been considering cutting them out and soldering some in-ear monitors instead on a long enough pigtail to insert them into my ears and then put the helmet on.

// another edit

I haven't done it yet because I'm not ready to hack into a system that is working and my past use of in ear monitors like the ones in the picture completely destroy any situational awareness because they effectively seal out 99% of all ambient noise. Literally can't even hear the bike and have to shift based on the vibration feel through the pegs.
Doesn't the battery last around 8 hours. Is that not enough?

No need to hack. You can use your favorite IEMs.
http://www.revzilla.com/motorcycle/s...-adapter-cable
algs26 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 2nd, 2016, 10:03 AM   #27
InvisiBill
EX500 full of EX250 parts

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): '18 Ninja 400 • '09 Ninja 500R (selling) • '98 VFR800 (project) • '85 Vulcan VN700 (sold)

MOTM - Aug '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by corksil View Post

Not necessarily all that helpful to you, but if you get the regular SMH10, there's a different clamp SMH-A0304 you can get that has a standard audio jack on it, so you can use whatever headphones you prefer. Unfortunately, the lead to the jack seems to be a weak point - a lot of people complained that it broke after repeated movement, and my buddy's was starting to wear there.

*** Unregistered, I'm not your mom and I'm not paying for your parts, so do whatever you want with your own bike. ***
InvisiBill is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2016, 12:59 PM   #28
headshrink

So I've been riding around with my new SMH10r for about two days, and haven't ventured very far into its features. I've got it pared to my phone and tested a couple calls, and music. Although I haven't tested the intercom yet, that was the primary reason for purchase. I did buy the dual pack, and they come paired to each other.

I noticed a strange behavior each time (2 or 3 now) I enter HWY50 from the Prairie City on-ramp behind Intel (Folsom / Sac people will know it). My music cuts for a moment and I get an "intercom failure to connect" warning, or something similar to that. Today this happened every so often until I exited the freeway 5 or so miles later. I don't think this has happened on surface streets. Am I picking up some interference from a trucker, Intel, etc.?

Old May 11th, 2016, 03:02 PM   #29
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
When that happens on my SMH5, I noticed it was my shoulder lightly bumping the button activating the intercom. If no one is in range/paired with you, it'll fail to connect. Happens mostly when going over bumpy surfaces or turning my head.

Granted, I have a bigger button than you, but might be similar?
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 11th, 2016, 03:46 PM   #30
headshrink

Quote:
Originally Posted by NevadaWolf View Post
When that happens on my SMH5, I noticed it was my shoulder lightly bumping the button activating the intercom. If no one is in range/paired with you, it'll fail to connect. Happens mostly when going over bumpy surfaces or turning my head.

Granted, I have a bigger button than you, but might be similar?
I'm pretty sure nothing was pressing the button, and it was smooth sailing. I thought it might be voice activation that was triggered by the wind, but when I tested it on surface streets by speaking into the mic nothing happened. When it's on the blue light is flashing, so I don't know if this indicates it's in the wrong mode or not.

Old May 26th, 2016, 12:07 PM   #31
headshrink

I figured out the problem. Since it was in vox mode, the wind levels from the freeway would constantly be trying to open communication. Tapping the center button to end communication didn't seem to work when it was hunting for a connection. It's funny that yelling into the mike on the street didn't do the same thing, but turning vox off solved the freeway problem.

I've now had the opportunity to test it with it's partner a couple times, and it works pretty well, but with vox on - which is the mode we use, I do hear wind over comms from the other bike. This is even at slower 50ish speeds.

Overall it's a handy unit. I'd like to see it handle wind noise a little better, and speakers that are not so shrill. If I don't have earplugs in the shrillness from the speakers hurts my ears, but earplugs cut a lot off the lower frequencies, and balance it out decently.