ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 30th, 2016, 05:05 PM   #1
kdogg2077
ninjette.org sage

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2015 Yamaha FZ07, Ninja 250r 2012 Limited Edition (Sold)

The end of the Honda 600RR?

Has anyone seen this?

http://www.motorcyclenews.com/news/2...rr-killed-off/

Apparently new emissions standards from the (unelected) EU are causing problems for motorcycles in Europe. The result is that many current bikes won't be able to be sold in Europe beginning 2017. One of those is the Honda Cb600RR. Apparently the sales on it are so bad Honda Europe is going to drop it rather than retool it to meet emissions standards. Supposedly the bike will be sold in the USA, but never updated again, due to the dropping sales.

It seems that people embracing smaller bikes has really eaten into 600cc sales as well. But that is a positive in my book. Sad to see the 600cc's go though.

The article has more details.

Old June 30th, 2016, 07:26 PM   #2
Jono
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

There was a great article on Revzilla Common Tread today...

http://www.revzilla.com/common-tread...replica-doomed

Yeah it's good and bad. I think mostly good if you are mainly a street rider. When I first started riding back in 2011 there were not many choices for beginner riders and of course dealerships would always try to sell new riders the 600cc supersports. This meant a lot of new riders probably crashed these 100+ hp rockets ending their riding careers or their lives. This is not good for sustainability.

Starting out on small displacement bikes is the best way to get riders and keep riders if you ask me. I hope that the recent push of smaller CC bikes from manufacturers is helping get more folks on motorcycles.

I'm no track rider so I can't say how these changes will effect all that but I feel like it's not a shock to many that Honda might discontinue the CBR600RR . I recently went to the MotoAmerica races at Barber and I think only one Honda bike was racing. Honda seems to have given up on the racing.

It's interesting to see what will happen with the middleweights. It seems all the companies are totally focused on liter bikes (except Honda). I've never raced, but making the jump from a KTM390 to a liter bike seems like a difficult transition. I think the 600's will have to stick around for racing. Even if it means another 8 years of the same Yamaha R6.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 1st, 2016, 12:17 AM   #3
SteveL
old git

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): BMW K1300S

A lot of riders in Europe just go for the 1000cc bike more tractable burns less fuel and no need to upgrade.

Steve

Old July 1st, 2016, 04:19 AM   #4
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
No upgrades is not a huge deal IMO, where was the bike going to go from here?

Maybe they would start putting electronic assists on it? But probably not cuz they want to keep the cost down.

Honda has the know how and the $ to do anything they want. How and when they chose to put something out or not put something out for that matter, it is simply a decision they made for one reason or another.

I think they don't have the hugest following in some areas of motorcycling because their motors are often designed more for tractability and usable power and not peak power. Maybe a reason why squids and racers go for a different 600 offering Despite the Honda being a stellar bike? Honda's are always down on power to the other Japanese bikes.

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote