ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old February 12th, 2017, 02:56 PM   #1
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Name: Mark

Motorcycle(s): 2022 Honda Navi, 2018 Z-125 Pro

Stuff with the things....

So, what are you all up to lately? I figured we could have a thread of the latest things going on in our lives.

Well, I started to learn alto sax recently. I mainly play trombone in my church orchestra, but will occasionally play guitar and bass guitar if needed. I decided to help the group out and pick up my wife's old alto sax back from her junior high days. Currently another trombone player plays the alto line in our hymns. This would give him a breather and play lower notes. I was learning violin, but I decided to just stick with brass and wood winds. The violin will go up for sale soon.

So right now it is alto sax, then I may move to flute. I already own one, so I'd just need to learn it.

I hope to learn enough to be very versatile in the orchestra. That is what I've been up to lately. How about you all???

2022 Honda Navi && 2018 Z-125 Pro
Apex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2017, 03:51 PM   #2
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
I bought a used rowing shell Friday, and started getting acquainted with it yesterday. I figured that living at a lake, I should take better advantage of it, and not have to get on the road with a bicycle and compete with cars every day. Maybe alternate, or something like that.

https://youtu.be/gd97PTjxZlY
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old February 12th, 2017, 04:06 PM   #3
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
I bought a used rowing shell Friday, and started getting acquainted with it yesterday. I figured that living at a lake, I should take better advantage of it, and not have to get on the road with a bicycle and compete with cars every day. Maybe alternate, or something like that.

https://youtu.be/gd97PTjxZlY
YouTube says the video is private, Jim.
Watch out for crabs!
Bike, row, swim. Best trifecta for the body!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 12th, 2017, 04:09 PM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Thanks Bill. I set it to public, but then let YouTube stabilize some of the shakiness (wife with cell phone camera). Maybe it has to finish that before it can be watched. I'll check in a few minutes.

Yes, I learned a bit about crabs and got tossed out once. Then I learned to lie back flat when it happens, wait for things to settle down, and then resume rowing.

Old February 12th, 2017, 09:52 PM   #5
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

Bought a house here in SF a few years ago. Been a very busy and stressful few years practically gutting and rebuilding from scratch while living in it. Oh also got married and some other stuff. Picked up guitar recently also.

Last futzed with by CynicalC; February 17th, 2017 at 11:05 PM.
CynicalC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2017, 01:12 AM   #6
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
Had a black bean burger and some buffalo cauliflower today... Nom nom nom nom

Old February 13th, 2017, 01:57 AM   #7
CaliGrrl

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Lots of work this month and a trip with the in-laws. They consider it a "vacation" but I may disagree.

Oh, and we took the bikes out yesterday, in spite of a small possibility of rain. This turned out to be actual rain. I learned that the fairing shields me pretty well from the rain, and at least at fairly slow speeds, the bike handles relatively well.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 13th, 2017, 06:33 PM   #8
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Lots of work this month and a trip with the in-laws. They consider it a "vacation" but I may disagree.

Oh, and we took the bikes out yesterday, in spite of a small possibility of rain. This turned out to be actual rain. I learned that the fairing shields me pretty well from the rain, and at least at fairly slow speeds, the bike handles relatively well.
One of my big regrets, selling the 250. I've been without a motorcycle for ages now. I miss it. Granted, I wouldn't have much time to ride it, but it would be nice to have one in the garage again.

Old February 14th, 2017, 12:25 AM   #9
CaliGrrl

I've got something of a motorcycle fixation at this point. I don't want to be without one now! We picked up my bike pretty cheap, and it was actually in really good shape. Insurance is cheap, even for this really new rider. So it's not really costing all that much.

That's to say- pick one up! Get back on two wheels!

Old February 14th, 2017, 01:00 AM   #10
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
Been busy with my kid... he's teething now, so he is biting everything he could lays his hands on... lol.

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 14th, 2017, 02:02 AM   #11
MLR
ninjette.org member

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Apex View Post
One of my big regrets, selling the 250. I've been without a motorcycle for ages now. I miss it. Granted, I wouldn't have much time to ride it, but it would be nice to have one in the garage again.
Find a cheap bike that you liked as a kid, put it in the garage and strip it, then slowly rebuild.

Lets call it long term project, it needn't cost alot, the time spent looking for parts and slowly assembling is therapeutic, and the eventual outcome is rewarding.

My mate is rebuilding a old Honda CB750 four, he has been doing it for around 5 years, the thing is still in peices, but when I go over for beers we head into the shed and talk **** about the parts he has found or the latest part he has refurbished.

I swear when he looks at the bike, or parts there of, there is more love in his eyes for the bike than his missus.

At this rate though the bike should be finished in another 5 years.
MLR is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 14th, 2017, 08:01 AM   #12
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I may do something like that. I need to clear out the garage first and sell of things that aren't being used.

Old February 14th, 2017, 09:11 AM   #13
JohnnyBravo
Certifiable nontundrum

Name: Harper

Motorcycle(s): 2013 SE NINJA 300

MOTM - Sep '13, Sep '16
I have quite the collection hanging around here too

Old February 15th, 2017, 01:25 PM   #14
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

So I finally found my old flute. I hope to pick that up at least twice a week to relearn it. I got pretty far previously, but had to put it down once we had our kid. Now I have a touch of free time, I hope to pick it back up and relearn it. I'm kind of eager to learn it because it travels so easily. It would be nice to have on trips and such. At least I'd have some music to practice to pass the time.

Old February 15th, 2017, 01:51 PM   #15
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Lately...

Son:
He is in full karate tournament mode, and I am supporting him as best as I can. Between bikes and karate, I am slotted to be on the road traveling a bunch more this summer.

Me:
Recovery mode, it feels like I am always recovering from some injury. I would really like a stretch of time without some sort of injury and have a great summer without pain to deal with. And... I have taken a second job that pushes my hours per week above 80+, I am sure ya'lls have noticed I don't post as much.

Best to ya'lls!

Last futzed with by csmith12; February 15th, 2017 at 08:15 PM.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 15th, 2017, 09:07 PM   #16
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
Me:
Recovery mode, it feels like I am always recovering from some injury. I would really like a stretch of time without some sort of injury and have a great summer without pain to deal with. And... I have taken a second job that pushes my hours per week above 80+, I am sure ya'lls have noticed I don't post as much.

Best to ya'lls!
Are u Batman? In Christian Bale's version he always has injuries. Maybe it's about time they put "based on a true story" on each credit scene. And we will definitely for sure know it is you.

Old February 16th, 2017, 08:45 PM   #17
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I picked up the flute again today. I seriously love it. Yes, i know it is considered a "girl"instrument, but dang, it sounds awesome. It is compact, which is nice too.

The thing is my private lesson instructor fired me today. Haha. Okay, basically it was hard for her to get to the lesson venue in time for the lessons each week, so she discontinued the time slot. I was left hanging. No other woodwind instructors available, so I just dropped it. Not a big deal, I have learned several instruments on my own.

So no more saxophone lessons. However, after grabbing the flute again, which I played today in order to save my embrochure for sax practice, I really enjoyed it. I really think I'll work harder at the flute than at the sax. Also, I found a local choir of flutists that I think may be fun to join once I get better. I have more than enough music at my disposal now to learn the flute.

My goal, play the flute every day. The sax 3x a week and my trombone 2x a week. At least that will continue my learning on the sax, keep my chops decent on the trombone, and really kick butt at the flute. If I could choose two, I'd probably go sax and flute. Though that could change later. Sax is tough. Not the keys, but the mouth muscles required to play it. Flute is somewhat similar to trombone in the general muscles used. So I can play the flute for at least an hour with zero issues. Sax, I'm limited to 30-minutes, maybe 45. Once those wheels fall off, that is it for the day.

Okay, I've bored you all enough.

Old February 16th, 2017, 10:12 PM   #18
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Good luck with the music. I sit down with my Strat and old Peavey Classic most evenings before bed and jam a little. Tomorrow I hope to get out in the shell and row a bit.

Love the Paul Desmond sax.

Old February 17th, 2017, 11:53 AM   #19
dcj13
Participant

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '94 K75 std

MOTM - Aug '15
Got lawn mowed Monday and Tuesday afternoon (after snow melted and before torrential rain). Next, gotta prune apple and pear trees.

The bees are already out running sorties and gathering pollen (white and orange colored, dunno what kind). Crocuses have bloomed.

Haven't ridden the motorcycle since last Friday. Spring seems to be coming early this year.
dcj13 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 17th, 2017, 04:03 PM   #20
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Good luck with the music. I sit down with my Strat and old Peavey Classic most evenings before bed and jam a little. Tomorrow I hope to get out in the shell and row a bit.

Love the Paul Desmond sax.

Mine is a cheap Selmer student model. It only has a dent in the bell and one on the body. I may get it fixed next service, or just get one of them fixed. It is better than my 1984 Bundy trombone that I got for $100 back in '89. That trombone needs to be retired, and bad.

Old February 17th, 2017, 05:28 PM   #21
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Mine is a cheap Selmer student model.
Paul Desmond: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQLMFNC2Awo

Old February 21st, 2017, 03:06 PM   #22
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
He would cringe if he ever played mine

Old February 21st, 2017, 03:26 PM   #23
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I struggle on the sax above high D. I don't plan on learning it because I'd never need it in church. I'll stick with d and below. If I can find some alternates, then up to high f would be okay. I may get there one day.

Flute is really coming along. I know all the low notes, but just have issues with the initial attack on the lowest 2. Higher notes will come as I need them. Still enjoying this instrument a lot. In a few months I may make this my main instrument at church.

I know my music director, he will want me to stay on trombone, but I think the other trombone player would enjoy playing an octave lower than he has been.

I am going to snag a flute book from church and see about doing a duet with piano one day. I did just order an exercise book for flute, and from what I've read, pros even use this book still. I'm going to practice it from it every day.

Old February 22nd, 2017, 11:38 AM   #24
JustRidin
ninjette.org member

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2007 R6, 2015 KTM 250XC - Past: 2011 KTM 150XC, 2009 Ninja 250r, 2012 Ninja 650, 2007 CRF250R

Just finished up a 9 month backpacking trip. Getting myself back into a normal routine again and enjoying having a kitchen to cook in!

Old February 22nd, 2017, 06:04 PM   #25
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustRidin View Post
Just finished up a 9 month backpacking trip. Getting myself back into a normal routine again and enjoying having a kitchen to cook in!
I bet! I actually have a small backpack wood stove that I keep handy. If I need to heat up anything in a pot while I'm grilling, I'll throw several coals (or oak wood) in the stove and heat up beans, or what not in a pot. It has come in handy. It is also great practice to properly feed the fire.

Old February 24th, 2017, 07:32 AM   #26
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Last night was interesting. I had an scheduling conflict that came up. As a photographer, it was a hard decision. One is a gig that pays about $150 for 2 hours of work. Not bad, right?

The second gig pays zero, but gives me exposure to a TON of people who are local.

So, the first gig:
$150
Work for another photographer who makes a ton of money for the work
Cannot use the images online or in my portfolio because I'm being paid to take images for the photog

Second gig:
$0
All the images are mine
Donating time to the community
The event is for a children's art center, free ads in three playbills
Local exposure
Hopefully more business

So, what does a photographer do? I guess it depends on the situtation. I didn't need the money as much as I need the exposure and such. I contacted the photog and said I would have to drop the shoot, but I could find a replacement so she didn't have to worry about it. She said she could find one no problem. I felt bad, but this was an event that fell on the exact day and time, and I need the publicity. The photog may be a bit mad at me, but this is a great chance, plus I was asked by the head person for the organization. If I do a good job, I may be asked back for other things, which could lead to several paid gigs.

Old February 25th, 2017, 02:50 PM   #27
CaliGrrl

Good for you, picking up your flute again. I think the flutists in our local symphony might disagree with you that the flute is a "girl" instrument- there are both men and women in the flute section.

Old February 26th, 2017, 02:38 PM   #28
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaliGrrl View Post
Good for you, picking up your flute again. I think the flutists in our local symphony might disagree with you that the flute is a "girl" instrument- there are both men and women in the flute section.
I totally agree that both play it. We have both in several of our local orchestras and the symphony as well. In general, people tend to always label it as such.

Old February 26th, 2017, 03:11 PM   #29
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Ian Anderson!

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old February 27th, 2017, 05:09 PM   #30
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I'll have to check that out tonight!

Two hours of practice today. That Ab key has been tricky for me, but I have a few method books to practice with. I choose the very technical exercises to practice. I was seriously getting things down pretty well today. No way good, but decent.

Old March 9th, 2017, 07:28 PM   #31
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Ever have one of those days that you just woke up and wanted to sit in a corner all day and just not do anything? Yeah, one of those days today. I pulled myself out of the funk later on thank goodness. I used to just go for a motorcycle ride when I had days like today. I do miss my little ninja when I feel down!

I have to play trombone this weekend in the orchestra. I have one problem though, I have barely played it in a month. I almost want to just bring my alto sax and play that instead. I prefer the flute overall though. We had rehearsal on Tuesday and I was having so many problems until I warmed up. I was never a big into the trombone since after 6th grade, so it comes as no surprise to me that it has sat for the time it has sat. I like valves and keys too much I guess. lol

So here is my deal, I've played brass my entire musical career through high school. I will be officially switching my main instrument from trombone to alto sax and flute after Easter (but I have a feeling my director may want me to keep playing it until the summer). I'm debating on what to do with the t-bone though. Keep it, sell it for maybe $100, or donate to the church? I'm selling my violin, which I hope will give me a solid 350-400. The trombone may fetch 100, but I'm not totally sure. So, optimistically, I may have $500 in my pocket (put towards another instrument?).

Or should I just keep it since I won't get much cash for it? Ideas? Side note, I have two similar mouthpieces, one large, and a brand spanking new 12C that I got a couple of months ago. I may be able to sell those independently for a little extra cash (maybe 100-150 extra).

Old March 9th, 2017, 10:18 PM   #32
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I studied classical piano from an exceptional teacher for ten years. I used college as an excuse to stop taking lessons. Then I bought a Stratocaster and vowed never to take a guitar lesson. I've enjoyed music much more ever since. Maybe the lesson is to play music the way it makes you happy, not the way it pleases others.

Old March 16th, 2017, 05:53 PM   #33
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
I studied classical piano from an exceptional teacher for ten years. I used college as an excuse to stop taking lessons. Then I bought a Stratocaster and vowed never to take a guitar lesson. I've enjoyed music much more ever since. Maybe the lesson is to play music the way it makes you happy, not the way it pleases others.
Yeah, I hear that. I taught myself guitar and bass, and I played the junk out of Metallica, Tool, Alice in Chains, Pantera, etc.

I don't play anymore because I've stopped (for the most part) listening to that stuff. I liked the music and LOVED the guitars/drums, but it got my blood pressure up and made me want to drive fast. I had a cop do a u-turn on me, but I guess the speed I was going and the traffic, well, the cop didn't catch me. So after that, I kind of relaxed behind the wheel and changed the music that I allowed in my car (then a Honda Civic EX, lol I know). Once I got my Mustang GT, I was a pretty laid back driver by comparison. Yet the years away from the music also lost the drive for the guitar. I still jam to Alice in Chains Unplugged (one of the best albums out there in my opinion), but it isn't the same.

I mainly stick with Baroque and Classical music these days (baroque - 1600s-mid1700's, Classical - Mid 1700's to mid to early 1800's). I also listen to a lot of contemporary Christian music, and a bit of other stuff. On rare occasions I crank up some Metallica.

I found a great piece on the flute that I'm enjoying playing right now. I told myself I'll play it every day until I really nail it. Then I'll find the whole piece and work on that. I was playing Handel's Sonata in F-Major, Op.1, No.11.

Here is a clip of a random person playing it

Link to original page on YouTube.

Oh, and I'm learning Careless Whisper on my Alto Saxophone. Reason....well, I'm dressing as Deadpool for halloween, so it is only suiting that I play my sax while getting candy. LOL

This year is going to be EPIC!

Old March 16th, 2017, 07:04 PM   #34
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
I mainly stick with Baroque and Classical music these days
You can always combine Baroque with rock.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-dDLqGXbJH0

Old March 16th, 2017, 07:11 PM   #35
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Quote:
You can always combine Baroque with rock.

Link to original page on YouTube.

That is awesome. Thanks for sharing.

Old May 3rd, 2017, 09:02 AM   #36
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Ugh, I've been back and fourth with Adobe since Friday last week. Apparently it is really hard to swap a photoshop SN from Windows to Mac.

So I am waiting, unable to process any photos because I had to deactivate my versions on my Windows laptop in order to activate the SN for use on Mac. So when you purchased CS6, you only purchased a copy able to be used on either Mac or Windows, not both (unlike Lightroom). So now I've been down almost a week because they are taking their sweet time moving it over. I am not amused.

On the bright side, I spend my time working on my alto saxophone playing. Then I get a text last night from the music director at church asking me to play a flute solo this weekend. So now I'm working on that. Luckily for me, it is only from E4 to E5, very easy range to play for me. Not that church hymns are really demanding, but this one is crazy easy. Another hymn option given to me went down to B3, and that is one tough note to get out (lowest note on the flute). C4 and B3 are rather hard to nail and with volume. Anyway, enough band geekness, I'm out.

Old May 3rd, 2017, 09:07 AM   #37
MrAtom

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - July '15
If I were you, I'd feel completely justified in pirating the software so you don't get set back until they finish up.
MrAtom is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 4th, 2017, 09:23 AM   #38
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

I just got an email that stated my case was closed. I logged in and saw two active SN's for windows AND Mac. I am not bothering with the Windows copy anyway, since my Mac will be my main computer.

I installed it and activated it this morning. I moved all my actions over. Now I just need to do my Lightroom presets I created from previous shoots, but that will by far be easier.

Last futzed with by Apex; May 5th, 2017 at 09:14 AM.

Old May 15th, 2017, 09:32 AM   #39
asellus
way better at cars

Name: Ian

Motorcycle(s): '07 250

Too many projects. Bouncing back and forth between everything -- prepping the car, learning to ride the bike, landscaping, construction, and now most recently some hardware failures on my server.

I've been working since about 10PM yesterday recovering everything I can. So far I've only got the router up and running. Blech.

I'd post some images of what I've been doing, but all those images are stored on the server that's offline right now.

Old May 17th, 2017, 06:34 AM   #40
Apex
Livin' the Minimoto Life

Hope you got it all up again!

I should be having fun shortly. Just transposed "Down in a Hole" by Alice in Chains, off the Unplugged album. I'm going to learn that on the sax and jam along with the album. Dealing with the key of E, so four sharps. I deal with a TON of sharps on the alto, so this is good practice. Trombone I was better with flats than sharps (dealt with flats the most), but sax is completely opposite. So I am trying to practice it more.