ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old June 22nd, 2017, 08:53 AM   #1
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Name: AJ

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

closed

Edit

Last futzed with by A.J.; July 3rd, 2017 at 05:58 PM.
A.J. is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2017, 09:23 AM   #2
jrshooter
ninjette.org guru

Name: john

Motorcycle(s): ninja 300

ive been in the same boat with a car, it seams the friendship pushes the car to the back burner , they will stretch the friendship a little so they can keep other customers happy.
jrshooter is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 09:30 AM   #3
CaliGrrl
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Kerry

Motorcycle(s): Ninja650

MOTM - Apr '18, Apr '17, Apr '16
Sorry it's taking so long. I hope your friends get your bike done so you can go riding.
CaliGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2017, 10:01 AM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Maybe it's time to learn how to adjust your valves. If you were near me I'd be glad to lend you a hand, but it's not awfully difficult. Maybe there's a member nearby who can help.

As far as timing, my guess it that it will be exactly where it was set at the factory if you check it.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2017, 11:07 AM   #5
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Most "aftermarket" ignitions aren't going to work.

Not sure exactly why, but it's a common problem when replacing the original with another that's supposed to be correct.

You should really talk to them and let them know you are getting anxious to ride it, and ask what the hold-up is.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2017, 05:44 PM   #6
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
This is all part of the bike owning experience. The correct solution to your problem is: n+1 where n= the number of bikes you own that are currently in the shop and the plus one is the bike you ride while the rest get fixed!

But seriously; the ninjas are great bikes to start learning DYI wrenching; tons of great peeps and help here on this forum to walk you successfully through any maintenance or rebuild project you wish to tackle and you don't need a huge toolbox either!

Virtually all bike shops are now busy beyond their capacity as everyone starts to haul out their rides but need simple or complex repairs. Your friends may be chasing deeper pockets than yours but more likely they are busy with too many fires to put out including yours! Rule number 1 for shop repairs: do it in winter or have two bikes and be prepared to wait weeks for both parts and service depending on the problem! Many shops will not want to take on a rebuild in spring/summer as it ties up a bench too long!

My 2 cents. Good luck and I hope you get out riding soon!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 22nd, 2017, 06:39 PM   #7
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Name: RJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250

Aftermarket ignitions need a 100ohm 1watt resistor wired into the gray wire otherwise you will never see spark.
Lazarus is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 22nd, 2017, 07:17 PM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Aftermarket ignitions need a 100ohm 1watt resistor wired into the gray wire otherwise you will never see spark.
I assume you mean the ignition switches. Does this apply to pregens? I thought the resistor thing was only for newgens.

Old June 22nd, 2017, 08:17 PM   #9
Abu_Mishary
The Asian Caucasian

Name: Abu Mishary Mohd Fairus

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 250 SE 2015 (sold); Honda ADV160 (current)

MOTM - Jan '17
This is exactly the reason why i do not send my vehicles to my friends' workshop. It will be either i am taking advantage over them or they are testing my patience.

Anyways, good luck with the bike. Hope could see pictures of it before the work is being done.

Old June 22nd, 2017, 11:02 PM   #10
Ralgha
ninjette.org sage

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R, Tiger 800 XRT

When I got my Ninja, I decided that I would do all the maintenance myself (except for mounting tires on the wheels). I'd never done any vehicle with before, and let me tell you, it's been very satisfying to do it all myself and not have to depend on someone else to do it.
Ralgha is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2017, 06:30 AM   #11
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

Ignition switch. Sorry. Any aftermarket switch needs the resistor even for pregens. You can disassemble the ignition and check if there is a resistor already wired in, normally there isnt.

Old June 23rd, 2017, 06:57 AM   #12
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazarus View Post
Ignition switch. Sorry. Any aftermarket switch needs the resistor even for pregens. You can disassemble the ignition and check if there is a resistor already wired in, normally there isnt.
Thanks for that information. I have a feeling it will come in handy at some point.

Edit: I've checked all the wiring diagrams I can find in the pregen base manual and supplement, and don't see a grey wire at the ignition switch except in the Australian model, and in that case it goes to a dash light, not a resistor.

The pregen wiring diagram shows only Brown, White, Yellow, Red/Black, and Red.
The newgen diagram shows Brown, White, Red/Black, White/Black, White/Green, and Grey

Old June 23rd, 2017, 08:28 AM   #13
Lazarus
ninjette.org member

I stand corrected. Thank you for pointing that out! Learn something new everyday.

I feel as though the reasoning behind him not having spark may be the same though. He plugged his old ignition back in and had spark. OP maybe refer to a pre gen wiring diagram and see which wire feeds the coils power and start working your way backwards. Confirm you have voltage at the coils (my apologies if the are refered to as something else) and compare it against what the manual says. Although, if your friends own a bike shop I'm sure they have tried that route already? Idk

Old June 23rd, 2017, 01:29 PM   #14
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Kawasaki Ninja 250r(SOLD) 2006 Kawasaki Ninja 250r full Muzzy(my pride and joy)

Edit

Last futzed with by A.J.; July 3rd, 2017 at 05:59 PM.

Old June 23rd, 2017, 05:49 PM   #15
SLOWn60
n00bie to wannabie

Name: Bill

Motorcycle(s): 2012 250R (Red), 2005 VFR800A (Red), CRF450X (Red), 2012 F800GS (Wants to be Red!)

MOTM - Nov '15
The weekend doesn't have to be a total two wheeled loss; hop on a pedal bike and enjoy the days! Plus; it's great practice for when you do get the motorcycle back! Virtually all pro riders train on bicycles so if it's good enough for them...
Beats sitting around fretting! Enjoy!
The Smart Money: #1 - ATGATT, #2 - Training (machine skills and survival skills), #3 - The bike; whatever floats yer boat with the money you have left over
SLOWn60 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2017, 06:38 PM   #16
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Visit, bring a 6-pack, and ask if you can help work on it after hours to learn. It'll get done.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 24th, 2017, 10:34 AM   #17
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001

It usually takes a while for them to train their entry level guys things like metric vs SAE, torque specs, sequence, which side the brake caliper goes on, etc....

Old June 24th, 2017, 12:18 PM   #18
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Yeah definitely spent my share of time at the shop. Watched them pull a motor out of an old '78 Honda a couple weeks ago. Definitely cool and have gotten a chance to learn some things watching them work on my bike and just motorcycles in general. And yes I have a Giant mountain bike and I love it. Always been really good on bikes. Was really into BMX as a kid and even young adult. Had a few GT's and my beautiful PK Ripper. I thank my great balance on a motorcycle from all the experience on a bycycle.

Old June 28th, 2017, 05:43 AM   #19
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Edit

Last futzed with by A.J.; July 3rd, 2017 at 05:59 PM.

Old June 28th, 2017, 05:48 AM   #20
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
I'd stop by the shop and see what condition it's in.

If it's all together you could pay the bill and make arrangements to take it. If not, it would be a bit more complicated.
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2017, 06:01 AM   #21
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
Mechanic:
"Working on it. Thanx."
Means he is working on working on it.

My brother is a master technician for Ford and he says the same things. I find that if I just start doing my own things he will then become interested in letting me know that he can lend a hand.

Usually they take on too many projects, via other family members or friends of a friend and will put priority on customer cars. My brother also does side work for other dealers in the area and those cars come in and out all the time.

The only times I need to push him is when I need to use the dealers shop, lifts and a lot more tools to get job done. However, I always help him do his jobs and mine so we are always working on something.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2017, 06:36 AM   #22
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFY View Post
Means he is working on working on it.

My brother is a master technician for Ford and he says the same things. I find that if I just start doing my own things he will then become interested in letting me know that he can lend a hand.

Usually they take on too many projects, via other family members or friends of a friend and will put priority on customer cars. My brother also does side work for other dealers in the area and those cars come in and out all the time.

The only times I need to push him is when I need to use the dealers shop, lifts and a lot more tools to get job done. However, I always help him do his jobs and mine so we are always working on something.
Yeah looks like I'm just gonna pay a visit today and see what I can do. Pretty sure if I show up there I'll probably find him working on it. It's not like I'm bothering the hell out of him. His last message was 5 days ago letting me know "he's working on working on it" then I get the same yesterday. To say I'm getting impatient is an understatement. I would rather be at the shop doing some of the work so that's what I'll do. Getting a service manual in the mail today or tomorrow from a fellow forumer so I'll be equipped with everything I need.
It's been a month. I can totally understand and empathize with the guy. But when a month is approaching that's when it is starting to get into the realm of ridiculous. Or damn close.

Old June 28th, 2017, 10:17 AM   #23
VaFish

Name: Tom

Motorcycle(s): 2001 Ninja 250, 2019 Harley Ultra Classic, 2001 Suzuki SV650

MOTM - Jan '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by A.J. View Post
Ok so I text him yesterday around 5pm. Here is my text and here is his response. Keep in mind this is my good friends brother who is the mechanic I never really knew him growing up so it's not like he and I are buddies. But in my opinion he's still taking me for granted. Friday is the deadline or I'm pulling my bike. And you know the bad part is I don't think he would care. I should leave it there and just become the most annoying customer ever.

ME:
"Hey Shane hope everything is going well. Hoping to hear some good news soon be a month Friday and getting anxious to get out there! Lol
I'm off of work tomorrow if ya need anything
Thanks man!"

Mechanic:
"Working on it. Thanx."

I mean wtf does that mean?! Now I'm starting to get pissed. Oh and I gave them $200 up front almost a month ago to get started. I mean is that the most vague response I could've possibly gotten? Do you mean you're working on it right now? Or you're working on working on it? Lol
Well do you want him to text you a long explanation or do you want him working on your bike?

To me "Working On it." means "I know you want your bike, I'm busy, you'll get it when I'm done with it and the more you bother me the longer it will take"

This page explains it well:

http://www.sixside.com/fast_good_cheap.asp
VaFish is offline   Reply With Quote

2 out of 2 members found this post helpful.
Old June 29th, 2017, 07:51 PM   #24
Kestrel
ninjette.org member

Name: Patrick

Motorcycle(s): DR350, Ninja 250

The reality is that the work on your bike is small dollars to them in what is the busiest bike season of the year. They keep pushing your bike back as bigger money projects come into the shop.

Go get your bike. In all likelihood, they haven't even touched it yet. This kind of thing is unfortunately quite common.

I'd go pay them a visit.
Kestrel is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 29th, 2017, 10:56 PM   #25
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Paying them ahead of time may not have been good idea. Usually shops get paid when the job is done. Gives them incentive since just having the bike sitting is costing them money.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2017, 05:11 PM   #26
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Yeah it was basically a live and learn type of thing. I pretty much gave it to him straight yesterday about the ridiculousness of it all. He is going into the shop tomorrow to work on my bike only. Doesn't even matter at this point because she's coming home tomorrow whether problem solved or not. I've obtained a service manual and the help of a fellow forumer so no doubt in my mind I'm armed with everything I need to do it myself. Actually pretty excited about it. Tomorrow afternoon if she's fixed then I'll gladly pay him and move on. But either way it'll be nice to have her home.

Old June 30th, 2017, 07:06 PM   #27
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
just want to throw in the idea that sometimes OEM parts are on back-order or take forever but if this is the case they should let you know
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 30th, 2017, 07:06 PM   #28
Finesse
ran when parked

Name: Katie

Motorcycle(s): Freeride 250R, KLX250SF, mopeds

MOTM - Sep '17, Dec '14
also, a decent shop isn't going to push your bike to the side just because it's not earning them as much money as other bikes. with that kind of attitude, you're going to stop earning money at all pretty quick... everyone's bike should be the same priority
Finesse is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 2nd, 2017, 04:13 PM   #29
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Ledit

Last futzed with by A.J.; July 3rd, 2017 at 06:01 PM.

Old July 2nd, 2017, 04:14 PM   #30
A.J.
ninjette.org guru

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finesse View Post
just want to throw in the idea that sometimes OEM parts are on back-order or take forever but if this is the case they should let you know
He ordered a carb rebuild kit and an ignition. Those parts have long since been in the shop.