vash021
ninjette.org newbie

Name: vash

Motorcycle(s): 2010 ninja 250

2010 ninja 250 race prep advice

Hi all i just bought a cheap layed down 2010 ninja 250 which has barely 3k KM

I bought this bike for the sole purpose of making it a dedicated track bike
Some of the things i have ordered are
1. clip ons that attach to the bottom of the triple clamp.
2. rear sets.
3. tank anti slip pads
4. EBC HH brake pads with steel braided brake lines on the front only
5. Metzller Front :-110/70-17, Rear :-150/60-17 (I have'nt put this on yet basically this are my brothers tires which still has some decent thread left on the sides and will use this until they burn out then switch to 140 rears).

Now I need advice on the suspension as i have 0 knowledge on suspension would be a great help to me if someone can point me to a right direction
for reference im 6'3'' and 170lbs.

I also plan to put some extra padding on the seats to make it a bit taller so that my legs are not as cramped if anyone has done this please also advice

Thanks for your time and any input is well appreciated.
full disclosure i havent done any track days yet but i have practiced using my brothers cbr 125 and my duke 690 on parking lots and im able to knee drag.

Would appreciate a budget friendly advice as this is a budget build got this bike for only 900 cad
vash021 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2021, 06:42 AM   #2
Topaz
ninjette.org member

Name: Topaz

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 / Suzuki DR-Z 400 SM

I haven't upgraded the suspension yet. From what I've read so far, you have the following options for suspension:

Front:
First and cheapest, you change the forks oil for something heavier (10wt or 15wt) and change the springs to something stiffer ($120). Check RaceTech.com to find a recommendation for your weight and level of riding.

After that you can also install Gold Valve Emulators ($170) which will allow you to tune the forks for high speed compression. To do this you need to take the forks apart.

Another option for the forks is to throw away the stock internals and put cartridges as Ohlins or RaceTech. About $1000.

For the rear, you can go with a Suzuki GSX 600/750/1000 rear shock swap. Get one used off eBay for less than $100 and hopefully then rebuild it and spring it to your weight.
I don't know what year of GSX's will fit. It looks like some will fit but are shorter and lower the rear end. You can compensate by changing the suspension links (dog bones).

Or swap for a more expensive and racing shock like ohlins, penske. I guess about $800. These shouldn't change the height of the bike.

Hopefully someone with more experience will comment on this.

Mods are fun, but make sure you don't spend all your money on mods and then don't have enough to get track time.
Topaz is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 10th, 2021, 09:51 AM   #3
Dave Wolfe
CCS Amateur #501

Name: Dave

Motorcycle(s): '09 250 SE 'Booger'

When your pace starts to pick up a little bit the kickstand mounting bracket on the frame starts dragging and can toss you down pretty easily. 08-12 track bikes typically have the kickstand mount cut off.

The stock muffler drags pretty easily too.

Used ninja 250 race bikes go for about $1000 allready set up if you can find one.
Dave Wolfe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 23rd, 2021, 09:30 PM   #4
flipstyledsm22
Let's go fishing!

Name: Ioben

Motorcycle(s): 83' KZ750L3, 84' FJ1100, 94' VT600C, 07' K1200S, 09' EX250J

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave Wolfe View Post
When your pace starts to pick up a little bit the kickstand mounting bracket on the frame starts dragging and can toss you down pretty easily. 08-12 track bikes typically have the kickstand mount cut off.

The stock muffler drags pretty easily too.

Used ninja 250 race bikes go for about $1000 allready set up if you can find one.
THIS!!!

I bought my 250 with K-Tech on the front and JRI in the rear, for $1,500. Everything new, will be very costly and not worth the hassle.
flipstyledsm22 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 28th, 2021, 09:14 PM   #5
vash021
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by flipstyledsm22 View Post
THIS!!!

I bought my 250 with K-Tech on the front and JRI in the rear, for $1,500. Everything new, will be very costly and not worth the hassle.
cant really find a race ready ninja250 here in edmonton,AB canada

I just did my first track day on the mini track and had some fun
What do you guys use for engine oil for a ninja 250 race bike only?
I mean what weight of oil, im going to use amsoil full synthetic just not sure on the oil weight.

Thanks for the reply guys, Im just starting out and will have quite a few questions? i guess i can do the gsxr rear mod. and maybe just some fork springs according to my weight which is 78kg/ 171 lbs

Old June 30th, 2021, 06:48 AM   #6
Topaz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by vash021 View Post
...i guess i can do the gsxr rear mod. and maybe just some fork springs according to my weight which is 78kg/ 171 lbs
Have you figured out what model (size and year) of GSX-R shock you'll get?
I want to do it too, but it looks like some of those shocks will lower the rear of the bike, which I don't want, so I don't know what to get.

Old July 4th, 2021, 09:51 AM   #7
vash021
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Have you figured out what model (size and year) of GSX-R shock you'll get?
I want to do it too, but it looks like some of those shocks will lower the rear of the bike, which I don't want, so I don't know what to get.
i havent i think the 2006 gsxr rear shock are what most are getting? and it will need to do some airbox mod so that it would fit, i might just delete the airbox and put an airfilter direct on the carb and rejet it

Old July 4th, 2021, 12:36 PM   #8
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

/moved to ninjettes at speed

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2021, 09:04 AM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
So you hit the track for the first time. Nice!!!!

Here is the general order of mods to the bike, (grain of salt) cause ergos matter;

1. Tires!!!!!!
2. Front springs
3. Rear shock - the 08 gsxr 600 works really, really well but will need custom dog bones to adjust ride height or you can spend as much as you want on other types of shocks. I add this here because its a super simple mod that is cheap. Finding or making the dog bones is the hardest part.

Total cost should be around $500/600 USD give or take and should have around 5-6 track days under your belt... including a larger track. Knowing how you and the bike react to each other vs the track will give you a game plan going forward.

4. Your call here; start on ergos, rearsets, clipons, levers, seat, emulators, ect...

Total cost should be around $500/600 USD give or take, of course you could spend more.

5. Full exhaust system + tune/pods/airbox mods: be careful here with airbox mods, the gain is pretty much nada unless planned with other mods and tune at the same time. Plan for the future, leave it stock for now, racing could be part of the plan, but parts availability and cost should rule at this point and stock is the way to go at the start. As far as exhaust systems go, AreaP is good stuff but riders use a variety.

Oil: I have run Shell Rotella T-6 from the very start post 600 mile service.

Of course all this is just my personal experience as it worked well for me. There is no right or wrong order to any of this as long as you don't outride your traction level or your ambition doesn't outweigh your skill level.

And don't forget.... the goal is to have fun!

Welcome to the madness.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 5th, 2021, 06:04 PM   #10
Topaz
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by csmith12 View Post
3. Rear shock - the 08 gsxr 600 works really, really well but will need custom dog bones to adjust ride height or you can spend as much as you want on other types of shocks. I add this here because its a super simple mod that is cheap. Finding or making the dog bones is the hardest part.
Would any year GSX-R shock fit?

Old July 6th, 2021, 06:13 AM   #11
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Quote:
Originally Posted by Topaz View Post
Would any year GSX-R shock fit?
To keep it simple and cheap, 08-10 years.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 29th, 2021, 05:14 PM   #12
vash021
ninjette.org newbie

Guess ill update this
So i kinda followed others advice on just to buy a prepped bike

Found one on the east coast and had it shipped to the west coast

Got myself a fully prepped ninja 300 it has:
-hotbodies race fairings
-andreani group cartridge fork kit