ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old July 7th, 2014, 04:52 PM   #1
Ohio
ninjette.org member

Name: Andrew

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250

Just cleaned carbs - now stuttering at low RPM, fine at high RPM

Hey guys, so I had not winterized my 2008 Ninja 250 with 6700 miles and when I went to start it, go figure, it would only run with the choke all the way on. I figured the carbs had to be cleaned so I took them out and when I opened them up they looked brand new. I went ahead and took the jets out and soaked/sprayed them anyway and all the holes were clear. I put them back in and put my carbs back in and adjusted the idle screw and my bike started right up without the choke at about 1,500 RPM idle. So of course I was happy for a few minutes until I got on to take it for a ride.
When I gave it a small amount of throttle it basically went like this for 1st gear:
-At very first it got gas for about .5 seconds and then nothing
-If I kept on the throttle just a little bit about 1-2 seconds later it would get gas again but then stutter...gas-nothing-gas-nothing very fast.
-It would stutter until I shifted into second gear. Then in second gear it would stutter, but not as bad. It would get gas for the most part and only hesitate a few times mostly at low RPM's.
After I get it into third gear it is fine while accelerating, but when I am at a constant speed stutters somewhat.
When I am on the highway or constantly at high RPM's in 4th or 5th it is perfectly fine.

She idles just fine. Just constantly loose power/stutters at low RPM's...first gear is basically useless unless I twist the throttle a lot and basically sprint off the start into second gear.

One more point-before I took the carbs out and it was running with the choke all the way on the acceleration was completely fine, only after I took the carbs out and put them back in did I get this problem.

I feel like I was not careful enough to have every tiny thing adjusted how it was perfectly when I put the carbs and what not back together. Does anybody know what this problem is coming from? Jets? Bowls? Sync? (although I didn't mess w/ the sync screw ever). Thanks for your help!
Ohio is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2014, 07:33 PM   #2
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Welcome Andrew! Issues like yours seem to be going around as of late.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2014, 07:45 PM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
1) keep running carb cleaner through with each tank. It will basically soak the carbs as you run the bike.

2) are you sure that you got the diaphragms in there properly and there's not any pinching of them?

3) you're in Cleveland! My neck of the woods. welcome!
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #4
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Check to make sure the airbox and snorkle area is clean and clear.
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 7th, 2014, 07:47 PM   #5
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

How many miles have you ridden it while it's acting like this?

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 01:19 PM   #6
Ohio
ninjette.org member

Alex, I have ridden about 100 miles on this (one trip). I drained the tank before I rode it and filled it up with new gas and some seafoam. And I'm from North Olmsted man!

Old July 8th, 2014, 01:23 PM   #7
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE, '15 CRF110F, '13 TT-R50E

That's certainly enough miles on it to start to clear it out, if riding it was going to clear it out. Hope the new gas and seafoam can work its magic.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 01:25 PM   #8
Ohio
ninjette.org member

Well I put the new gas and seafoam in before that trip...so that's not going to do it. I guess I'll have to take my carbs out again (my favorite activity!). But does anybody know what adjustment I should look for to fix the problem I am having?

Old July 8th, 2014, 01:28 PM   #9
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Name: Blue

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ohio View Post
....before I took the carbs out and it was running with the choke all the way on the acceleration was completely fine, only after I took the carbs out and put them back in did I get this problem.
Double check your carb boots for tightness?
Also make sure your air filter is clean and does not have too much oil.
DaBlue1 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old July 8th, 2014, 01:32 PM   #10
Ohio
ninjette.org member

I will check all the way around the boots for tightness, because I remember they were a pain getting on. And when I took the jets/needles out to clean them I was just wondering if there's any possibility that maybe one I put back in at a slightly different position that would cause this.

Old July 8th, 2014, 01:36 PM   #11
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
I will check all the way around the boots for tightness, because I remember they were a pain getting on. And when I took the jets/needles out to clean them I was just wondering if there's any possibility that maybe one I put back in at a slightly different position that would cause this.
See this post-https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...79&postcount=2

Old July 8th, 2014, 01:40 PM   #12
Ohio
ninjette.org member

Thanks- I'll get back to you shorty to let you know if that worked.

Old July 8th, 2014, 01:40 PM   #13
Hero Danny
Inline 4!!!

Name: Danny

Motorcycle(s): 2008 CBR600rr, 1987 KLR 250

Check all the vacuum lines, I honestly cannot remember how many times I pulled my pregen carbs out in the 1 month I owned her (I believe it was like 8 times). I had same issue, sputtering. The final thing to fix it was little jets inside the carbs that were gunked up... (who would of thunk!). But you said that this never happened before, I think you probably have loose line somewhere in there, check all the connections.

I would do this before pulling the carbs again!

Old July 11th, 2014, 08:01 PM   #14
Ohio
ninjette.org member

Update

alright guys I did the test with some carb spray on the boots of the carbs and nothing happened, I also looked at them closely and they're on there tight. My vacuum lines also all look good. But now I noticed something else.
Right under the kick stand there was a small puddle of gasoline. I thought it was just something that spilled in my garage but I just took my gas tank off and it was empty-and it was at least half full about 3 days ago. I traced the origin of the leak up the kick stand and it looks like it is coming from a hose that is connected to the air box. Ideas?

Old July 11th, 2014, 08:06 PM   #15
Ohio
ninjette.org member

It's probably worth mentioning that I also just changed the oil on the bike. I was having the problems I described in the original post before I changed the oil though.

Old July 11th, 2014, 08:32 PM   #16
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
.... there was a small puddle of gasoline. I thought it was just something that spilled in my garage but I just took my gas tank off and it was empty-and it was at least half full about 3 days ago. I traced the origin of the leak up the kick stand and it looks like it is coming from a hose that is connected to the air box. Ideas?
What position is your petcock in? If it is in the ON position, you have a stuck petcock and your float valves are not cutting off fuel flow. Basically, your carbs are overflowing gas unchecked and you probably have an airbox, air filter and crankcase full of gasoline too.

This thread may help you- https://www.ninjette.org/forums/show...hlight=petcock

Old July 11th, 2014, 08:47 PM   #17
Ohio
ninjette.org member

I just checked and my petcock is indeed in the ON position, assuming that when the line is horizontal and the little arrow on the right side of it is pointing to ON. Well tomorrow I suppose I will have to go get some more gas to put in it. What setting should it be on? I'll check that link you posted, sorry if that explains it. I also noticed that my oil gage was empty, and it seemed like some of the liquid dripping was also oil. Interestingly enough however, when I put maybe 3 cups of oil in it the gauge half filled up with oil and seems to be staying there. Would the petcock allowing too much fuel into the carbs explain the stuttering at low RPM's as well?

Old July 11th, 2014, 09:05 PM   #18
Ohio
ninjette.org member

Here's how much fluid has leaked out in the last 30 mins with the gas tank off and where it's coming from

Old July 11th, 2014, 09:12 PM   #19
Ohio
ninjette.org member

the yellow/greenish hose I tried to focus on is where I believe it is coming from. The big tube on the outside is a flashlight is anyone was wondering haha.

Old July 12th, 2014, 04:56 AM   #20
DaBlue1
Long Time Rider

Quote:
... I also just changed the oil on the bike.
Quote:
.... I also noticed that my oil gauge was empty, and it seemed like some of the liquid dripping was also oil. Interestingly enough however, when I put maybe 3 cups of oil in it the gauge half filled up with oil and seems to be staying there.
When you changed your oil, did you put in the correct amount?
When checking the oil level, is the bike level on both wheels and the oil level between the lower and upper mark on the sight glass?

Quote:
....the yellow/greenish hose I tried to focus on is where I believe it is coming from.
The hose attached to the airbox is to allow oil condensation and other fluid to drain from inside the airbox. Too much oil on the air filter can run off the filter and drain through this hose. too much oil in the crankcase can be forced into the airbox via the crankcase breather tube into the airbox, then that oil will eventually drain out of this tube. Gasoline that overflows out of the carbs will also drain through this tube.

Find out where a half a tank of gas went too. The first two things you need to check is your petcock and carb float valves. open up the airbox and inspect it and then check your crankcase for evidence of gas.

Last futzed with by DaBlue1; July 12th, 2014 at 07:17 AM.

Old August 5th, 2014, 10:30 PM   #21
broilmebk
ninjette.org sage

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): '12 ninja 250r

Any update on this Andrew?
broilmebk is offline   Reply With Quote