ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old March 8th, 2013, 12:10 PM   #1
adouglas
Cat herder

Name: Gort
Location: A secret lair which, being secret, has an undisclosed location

Motorcycle(s): Aprilia RS660

MOTM - Jul '18, Nov '16, Aug '14, May '13
Removing AreaP w/o returning to stock jets -- what wil happen?

'kayso....

There's a strong possibility that I'll be switching bikes in the immediate future. My 08 is for sale in anticipation of that but so far not even a nibble, so I may well just trade it in.

If I do that the smart thing is to de-farkle it and sell the nice bits, the best of which is a stainless AreaP Quiet Core system.

I really, REALLY don't want to hassle with returning the bike to stock jetting, don't want to futz with putting the kleen air stuff back in, etc. Pretty much, if I can easily unbolt something and put the stock part back on, I'm taking it off and selling it. That's the idea, anyway. I want to make this whole thing happen in a relaxed afternoon.

So the question is, is the bike likely to run like crap if I do nothing other than put the stock exhaust back on? I'm thinking possibly not, because I didn't have to do all that much in the way of changes in the first place.

Pertinent info:

- K&N panel filter, snorkel delete, Kleen Air delete (these are the things making it run leaner).

- Needles and pilot jets replaced, didn't need to replace the mains to get it working well. Don't remember where I put the clip, but it was probably in the default position. Don't recall having to mess with it.

- Idle screws twiddled.

So, opinions from those in the know? I'm thinking that it ought to run fine, given that the bikes come from the factory running lean anyway.
adouglas is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2013, 01:54 PM   #2
tooblekain
ninjette.org sage

Name: Matt

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Triumph Bonneville; 2008 Ninja 250r (trackbike)

General answer...wont run as ideal. Buyer may notice it or not.

If I were a seller, I'd be honest...rejet back to stock.

Or disclose the current mods to it. It looks like Ninja 250 as a track bike is a hot trend now.

You can try selling to other forums like Wera and AFM as a track bike
*CVMA #312*SoCal Trackdays*BigHeadz Racing*Motion Pro*Factory Effex*Leatt Brace* Racetech *Bell * Woodcraft CFM*Vortex*Hotbodies*Surface Sun Systems*Braking*LiveWire Energy*Freegun Underwear
tooblekain is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2013, 01:59 PM   #3
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I would rejet back to stock, leave off the kleen-air system (but include it with the sale), then sell the jet kit with the exhaust system. Since you already know the stock jetting specs, it should be pretty quick to revert back to that.

You might be able to get away with just turning the mix screws in, but that seems a little less than honest to me.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2013, 02:22 PM   #4
LoD575
ninjette.org sage

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 2006 Ninja ZX6R-636

I would re-jet as well back to factory specs.
LoD575 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2013, 02:39 PM   #5
adouglas
Cat herder

No dishonesty involved at all... I'd only do this if I were trading it in and they'd know exactly what I did.

To these guys the bike is a commodity. They're going to give me what the book says regardless as long as the bike isn't trashed.

If a private individual were to make me a non-insulting offer I'd just sell it with everything in place. I'd much rather it go to a regular Joe but I don't have the luxury of time. I might make the deal on the new bike tomorrow.

Given that there's snow on the ground here I do have a window of opportunity before I have to turn in my old bike, though... I'll have to wait until the weather improves to get it to the dealer.

I might buy some exhaust gaskets, swap the systems and see what happens. If it runs well, great... if not I'll just put the AreaP back on.

Pretty much I just want to avoid having to get at the carbs to rejet. It's not rocket science but it's a PITA that I'm not willing to deal with right now.

Old March 8th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #6
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
Doing the right thing is hard sometimes. If to "them" the bike is just a item to be traded, then.... sometimes it's best to think about another (the poor sap who they sell it too).
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 8th, 2013, 03:27 PM   #7
adouglas
Cat herder

Interesting ethical points, but I don't see it as black and white.

Riddle me this, Batman:

If you'd done the needle and washer trick to get the bike to run better, would you rip it apart and return it to stock before trading it in?

Same thing, right? You've messed with the fueling.

If I don't represent it as bone stock and the bike runs as well (or better than) new, then where exactly is the issue?

Respondents so far seem to assume I'm trying to pull a fast one. That's the farthest thing from my mind.

I see used bikes at dealers with aftermarket pipes on them all the time. That's going to alter how they run. Maybe those bikes were tuned correctly and maybe not. There's nothing unethical going on there, right?

What if I were to sell the bike privately and state clearly what I'd done to it, demonstrating that the bike runs properly. Where's the ethical problem?

Old March 8th, 2013, 03:38 PM   #8
choneofakind
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
no no no, I'm not assuming you're pulling a fast one. I just think you'll get more money for the exhaust if you sell the complete jet kit with it. It will also take less explanation to the buyer if you say, "it has stock jetting, no snorkel, and a stock exhaust" than if you tell them, "well it's jetted for a full exhaust system, but there's the stock system on it now."

Also, I think it will be too rich down low with the larger pilot jet. I know that 1/4 turn can be the difference from a bike that dies at idle and a bike that idles nicely. I imagine a larger pilot would have the same effect.

If I were to sell a bike with raised needles, that would be because the intake/exhaust required it. I would sell a bike in good running order so it performed as well on a test ride as it did for me, raising my chances of getting my asking price. So no, it's not really the same situation. I think if you're going to sell a bike, the jetting should work with the intake/exhaust. If your jetting is off, the buyer might be suspicious about the rest of the bike's maintenance history because you didn't care enough to adjust the jetting/you didn't know what you were doing.

Hope that makes more sense.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote