ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old April 2nd, 2021, 12:04 AM   #1
Abeast_9
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Ab

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja

Carburetor hoses problem

Hey guys I’m extremely new to motorcycles, and I have no clue what this hose on top of the carburetor is meant to be connected to.

A bit of backstory, I bought a 2011 Kawasaki ninja 250r from someone who buys bikes from auctions. The same way I buy my cars from auctions and fix them. The issue with bike that it had was it only runs with the choke full on. I did a oil change, change the spark plugs, and cleaned the carb, and it made minimal difference. So I accepted defeat and started from scratch again and pulled the carb once again to clean it again. After reading for hours digging in threads from before I was born, I could find nothing on where this hose is meant to go, or a solution for my issue.

I’ve cleaned the carb once again very well, and turned both mixture screws all the way in and then 2.5 turns out. To try to help with the issue about the bike only running with choke on. But I cannot for the love of me find out where this hose is meant to go, so please please please someone enlighten me with ya wisdom, and let me know, I’ll lnclude a picture. I cannot find any accurate diagrams, because all the ones I find are for the California models, and this is not one.

AD46BF71-5FFB-4812-AFCF-727D96F7292A.jpg

67A463F1-7B3A-4D80-8C93-E484C2055609.jpg
Abeast_9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2021, 04:29 AM   #2
slowandlow
ninjette.org member

Name: Scott

Motorcycle(s): 08 Ninja 250

That's a vent that doesn't connect to anything on the open end. It routes back and down to the bottom of the bike.
slowandlow is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2021, 06:03 AM   #3
ducatiman
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Gordon

Motorcycle(s): '95 DUCATI 900SS/SP '07 DUCATI SS800 '19 HONDA CBR650R

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
if you've plugged the vent hose, obviously remove the plug and allow the hose to breathe

"only runs with the choke full on"

this indicates clogged jets and/or passages
ducatiman is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 3rd, 2021, 06:47 AM   #4
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
Welcome to the board, Ab!
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2021, 09:47 AM   #5
Abeast_9
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by ducatiman View Post
if you've plugged the vent hose, obviously remove the plug and allow the hose to breathe

"only runs with the choke full on"

this indicates clogged jets and/or passages
thanks for the help with the hose, I didn’t have it plugged when it would only run with the choke on, I reset the mixture screws to 2.5 turns, cleaned every jet meticulously with a piece of bristle and put everything back on it. It runs now with the choke slightly engaged after warming up. I increased the idle from the adjustment Bc it was really low and it seemed to help a little bit.

The next question I have is should i increase the air fuel mixture to be able to run with the choke completely off. The screws are currently at 2.5 turns out from all the way in. Or is it something I should do to help, or is the bike supposed to run with choke slightly engaged?

Old April 3rd, 2021, 10:29 AM   #6
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Cleaning the jets is only a part of cleaning these carburetors. I believe that you won't get it to run right until you've gotten every small passage clean... and there are several.

Old April 3rd, 2021, 02:35 PM   #7
Abeast_9
ninjette.org newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
Cleaning the jets is only a part of cleaning these carburetors. I believe that you won't get it to run right until you've gotten every small passage clean... and there are several.
Every passage is pretty clean, the bike only got like 3000 miles on it, it was not terribly dirty at all before I cleaned it. I’m not gonna lie I’m getting pretty fast at dissembling the bike, I’m proud of myself. Only thing I have not done with cleaning the carb, is letting it soak overnight in that cleaner solution like I’ve been seeing in videos. Is this a crucial step? If so I wouldn’t mind taking it apart again, because I have to look for a blown fuse or loose connection, electrical been acting up lately.

Old April 3rd, 2021, 05:08 PM   #8
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

I doubt if that would do much good. You'd be surprised at what it takes to get these carbs truly clean. I've done my own carb work all my life, but when it came time to refurb the ones on my 250 I sent them to Ducatiman, who restored them to new condition. Suddenly it started easier and ran much better, particularly at low throttle. I believe one of the steps he takes involves an ultrasonic cleaner.

Old April 5th, 2021, 06:05 PM   #9
Runeknight95
ninjette.org member

Name: Derek

Motorcycle(s): 08 cbr1000rr, 2008 + 2012 ninja 250, 06 zx6r (636!) track only

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abeast_9 View Post
Hey guys I’m extremely new to motorcycles, and I have no clue what this hose on top of the carburetor is meant to be connected to.

A bit of backstory, I bought a 2011 Kawasaki ninja 250r from someone who buys bikes from auctions. The same way I buy my cars from auctions and fix them. The issue with bike that it had was it only runs with the choke full on. I did a oil change, change the spark plugs, and cleaned the carb, and it made minimal difference. So I accepted defeat and started from scratch again and pulled the carb once again to clean it again. After reading for hours digging in threads from before I was born, I could find nothing on where this hose is meant to go, or a solution for my issue.

I’ve cleaned the carb once again very well, and turned both mixture screws all the way in and then 2.5 turns out. To try to help with the issue about the bike only running with choke on. But I cannot for the love of me find out where this hose is meant to go, so please please please someone enlighten me with ya wisdom, and let me know, I’ll lnclude a picture. I cannot find any accurate diagrams, because all the ones I find are for the California models, and this is not one.

Attachment 47775

Attachment 47776

Nothing, I have 2 apart right now but I recall it runs past the airbox and goes like under the gas tank bar with the 10mm's on it.
Like 99% sure.

The first time I cleaned these carbs I had to redo it. You should see light down each jet, main and 2ndary when looking through them into a light. Your carb spray should spray through them full power. Run a copper strand from a wire through them to get any gunk out. Spray through all the ports to make sure it squirts out some other end(this is explained in detail in one of the guides) but i just hit every entrance and exit with cleaner.
Runeknight95 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 21st, 2021, 05:58 AM   #10
spent_too_much
ninjette.org guru

Name: Miguel

Motorcycle(s): 2000 EX-250; several other years of the same

I thought that I read somewhere that on these years, one is set to 2.5 turns, the other 3 or 3.5...

Old April 21st, 2021, 06:20 AM   #11
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
IMHO....2.5, 3, 3.5 whatever....is truly a starting point. Setting each for highest RPM, finding its' "sweet spot" while hot, running, is the true platform for fine performance. Of course, starting with truly clear jets and circuits is critical here.

Old June 7th, 2021, 10:43 AM   #12
Sandr
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250r

Similer problem

Mine only has 9000 miles on it. I Idle on high but everyting else is a fail. On mine with so much testing, dunking in part cleaner. full dissassembly/ rebuild. untrasonic cleaner. everything.... and same problem.

i believe i have a vaccume leak somewhere. that would mess with the mixture going into the carb or lack there of. if you can get it to idle low ish, and spray some sea foam, or hell carosene gas (NOT LIT) around your hoses and connectors, and notice an RPM spike BOOM theres your vac leak. where i suspect mine is a lil tricky. i think its between the carbs on the O rings. This way you have something else to test instead of repeat continuouse cleaning over and over again.
Sandr is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 7th, 2021, 01:10 PM   #13
ducatiman

MOTM - Nov '18, Mar '17
Carefully inspect the 2 vac hoses between carbs. if they are loose while cold, bingo, for sure they'll leak when hot (running).
Also check the short vac hose at the base of the decel valve. While there, check the actual decel valve for free in/out movement.

I've found combos of all these to be problematic in the past.

Of course, I'm always at your service if need be.