ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old April 3rd, 2013, 07:36 PM   #1
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
650 mirrors on a Ninjette (aka I CAN SEE!!)

So, you all know the stock mirrors, and there's numerous threads on how to position them, what to stick on them, etc. Well after several months of either admiring my elbows or imitating a chicken at 70mph, figured it was time to do something about that.

Scrounged through the forum looking to see how others angle those things to get the best use it of them. And in one thread, someone mentioned using 650 mirrors since the stalks are longer. Didn't see a specific thread on this and it was a one time mention in another thread. Figured starting this might help others like me. :shrug:

More poking around led me to discover there are a few 250 owners putting the 650 mirrors on, and a few 650 owners putting the 250 mirrors on! "Oh Kawasaki...?"

Ordered me an aftermarket set from denniskirk.com and they arrived today. Pulled up a nifty blog about 250 farkles and got to work.

Installation is simple, just remove the bolt holding the stock mirror stalk to the bracket on the outside of the cowling (need heat, there was Loctite in mine). Save the bolt, nut, and washers.

Attempt to remove the bracket from the new mirrors (more heat and something to brace against for weak little me - the exhaust hanger worked well). Save two of the washers.

Stick the new stalk with the new and old washers, nut, and bolt into the original bracket. Fit everything back together and tighten!

For me, I was able to see the entire lane behind me and the entire lane to my left. OMG did you all know there was a road back there?!? Wow! I was wondering where all those passing vehicles were coming from.

for increased safety! ESPECIALLY while waiting at the light!

Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:10 PM   #2
sammy5001
ninjette.org newbie

Name: Sammy

Motorcycle(s): Kawasaki Ninja 300 ABS SE

I think I'll piss off a lot of cagers lane splitting with those lol.
sammy5001 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:31 PM   #3
psych0hans
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

I've actually ordered bar end mirrors for myself... Lets see how they workout...

Last futzed with by psych0hans; April 5th, 2013 at 10:43 AM.
psych0hans is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 10:51 PM   #4
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2009 Ninja 250

Never owned a bike before. Soo it ISN'T normal to just see your elbows in the mirrors???

It really bothers me and I just thought "hey it must just be a bike thing"
Bob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 3rd, 2013, 11:46 PM   #5
Jiggles
Jigglin' your Jiglets

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2009 K1300S, 2013 Ninja 300, 2011 Ninja 250R, Faster than Unregistered's ninjette

MOTM - Apr '13
I like seeing my elbows in my mirrors. Reason is at night I can block the cagers lights behind me and during the day I just tuck them in when I need to see. My beamers mirrors let me see behind me and its annoying at night
AFM #676
Supersports are for n00bs
Jiggles is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 12:07 AM   #6
psych0hans

Name: Hansveer

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250r - Track whore, Ninja 300 - SOLD, KTM RC390 - Orange Hulk, Ducati 899 Panigale - Red Devil.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
I like seeing my elbows in my mirrors. Reason is at night I can block the cagers lights behind me and during the day I just tuck them in when I need to see. My beamers mirrors let me see behind me and its annoying at night
Jiggy has a very valid point... It sucks to get blinded by people flashing you from behind, not to mention most Indians have a BAD habit of always driving in high beam.

Old April 4th, 2013, 08:57 AM   #7
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by sammy5001 View Post
I think I'll piss off a lot of cagers lane splitting with those lol.
I don't lane split (even if it were legal) and find when I'm in the truck, lane splitting bikes piss me off. So not an issue for me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob2010 View Post
Never owned a bike before. Soo it ISN'T normal to just see your elbows in the mirrors???

It really bothers me and I just thought "hey it must just be a bike thing"
Depends on how you have your mirrors angled. I found the best balance was about 50/50. Half the mirror showed my elbow, the other half into the space behind me in the neighboring lane. Move arms in to see directly behind me and head check the blind spot beside me. I just got tired of moving my arms in all the time.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jiggles View Post
Yeah, that is a good point. Though, from what I've seen around here, headlights are rarely an issue (I live on the Loneliest Highway after all) and for whatever reason, I could never tuck my arms in enough to see clearly. I kept fiddling with the stock mirrors but was never satisfied.

Probably my issue was never checking behind me enough, but on road trips around here I kept being surprised by cars passing me and I wasn't aware of them until they showed up in my convex mirror - which put them in my blind spot.

I've yet to ride at night in a city with them, so my opinion may fall in line with your experience once I do have traffic behind me.

Quote:
Originally Posted by psych0hans View Post
Jiggy has a very valid point... It sucks to get blinded by people flashing you from behind, not to mention most Indians have a BAD habit of always driving in high beam.
I haven't noticed too much of the high beam issue behind me. It's the morons in front of me who fail to lower their beams (or have those awful blue beams that blind you no matter what).

We'll see after I go riding at night now that these are on. Right now, I feel that the increased visibility of my surroundings outweighs the inconvience, and should something come up, I can adjust.

Old April 4th, 2013, 09:10 AM   #8
choneofakind

Name: .

Motorcycle(s): .

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Am I the only one who has no issues with the ninjette mirrors? Maybe it's because I'm a smaller rider, and maybe it's because I come from a bicycle, idk. Just turn your head people. The mirrors work for a quick check (even with elbows in them, just aim them a bit), but turn your head to see what's actually around you.
choneofakind is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 4th, 2013, 08:31 PM   #9
Bob2010
ninjette.org sage

Name: Bob

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250 2009 Ninja 250

Very valid points from both sides.
I do prefer a head turn versus relying on my mirror.
And yes the elbows do help block unwanted crap behind me and a simple quick tuck and I can see.
Soo I'll stick with the mirrors for now
Bob2010 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 4th, 2013, 09:54 PM   #10
ricomtzjr
Razor's Edge

Name: Richard

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Sportster XL1200C

I don't really use my mirrors much unless I am in heavy traffic. Most of the time, a head check will do.

Old April 4th, 2013, 10:14 PM   #11
skilletmo
InfoWhore

Name: Melashi

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 StreetFighter ~~~~ 2005 KTM 450 EXC

Another sexy 4runner

Old April 5th, 2013, 07:40 AM   #12
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
(Reading back through my response below, I can see how the short questions might come over as being defensive or confrontational. That is not the case, I'm seriously asking and genuinely interested if someone has answers they would like to share. If not, no worries, it's all good. )

Thinking about most of these responses brings up a couple questions for me. Everyone is just saying head check. Yes, I do head check in town while in the middle of traffic, but...

Do any of you wear glasses? As you turn your head to look behind you, are you able to see between the gap of the frame and the visor? I find if I am looking further back than a car length, I'm unable to see if there are cars because I'm nearsighted. Anything in that gap is a complete blur.

How much notice are you comfortable with in knowing a car is behind you? Maybe it's because of my eyes, but a head check only let's me know when a car is in a danger zone, giving too short of time to plan. My mirrors allow me to see when a car is still a mile or more away and be able to watch them over a few seconds to see if they will pose a hazard to me (ie wow that semi is coming up FAST!)

What kind of armor is over your elbow? I noticed that though my elbows hang down my armor was more horizontal. Not enough that it's completely off my elbow in a wreck, but enough that when I pull my arm in to see, the armor still blocks the view.

In my case, I find longer mirrors solve the issues I was having. However, now looking at the responses, it may be that the mirrors aren't the issue but more my personal comfort and ability when riding. I'll have to think more on the root cause rather than just simply stating, "The mirrors are too short."

Old April 5th, 2013, 08:02 AM   #13
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
Oh, it's totally understandable wanting to see perfectly with mirrors. I'm not criticizing.

Sorry I didn't meant to come off that way. I meant that I still find the stock mirrors to be fine. Even with my elbows obscuring half of the mirror, the outside half is more than adequate to me for showing what's behind me; it just has to be aimed back and in instead of out and wide like a lot of people do. I guess I'm just always confused when people complain about their elbows that's all.

I guess I'm just so used to depending on the head check from bicycling that I look completely behind me when needed. The mirrors are good for a quick decision check when I see a yellow light and need to know if I'm safe to hit the brakes, but for changing lanes, etc, I always head check.

And to answer your questions: yes, I'm very nearsided. Yes I wear glasses (or contacts) when riding. I've not found issue with seeing behind me, more I've found issue with seeing the gauges vs seeing down the road. The frames on the glasses make that a pain. I much prefer riding in contacts than glasses.

If you think about it, we're using the same portion of mirror, yours is just bigger since you moved the whole mirror out. I'm using the outside 2" or mirror and ignoring the elbow in the inside, and you moved the entire mirror out so you can use the whole thing. It's all good

Old April 5th, 2013, 08:14 AM   #14
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
@choneofakind You didn't come over as criticizing, no one did. All of you just brought up the same solution which got me thinking why that wasn't fully working for me, so I thought more on what the cause might be vs just the obvious.

LOL yeah, glasses are a PITA especially when removing the helmet. Ugh! I have contacts, I really should use them.

Thanks for your response. I do appreciate it.

Old April 5th, 2013, 08:23 AM   #15
choneofakind

MOTM - Feb '13, Feb '14
I hate needing glasses. I want to get my vision corrected, but surgery??? Seriously though, I can't see more than about a foot past the end of my nose without some form of eye correction.

On a bright note, your ninjette looks like it has antennae now.

Old April 5th, 2013, 08:28 AM   #16
Slick_Stevo
ninjette.org member

Name: Steve

Motorcycle(s): '13 GSX-R600, '09 Ninja 250, 04 SV 650 (track)

I too have problems seeing out of my mirrors, I had always thought it was me.

I have had some success adjusting my left mirror so that I have a half decent field of vision, but can never seem to get the right side done. This is mostly due to the fact that unless I'm actually riding, its hard to judge where to position it to get the best view of whats behind me....and I'm not too keen on taking my hand off the throttle while in traffic

anyone ever used something like this? >>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/360552068857...93f6f9&vxp=mtr
Slick_Stevo is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 5th, 2013, 08:32 AM   #17
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
:takes off glasses, waves hand in front of face: yep, a foot is about my limit too. Night time is very colorful and pretty though without glasses. LOL

ROFL, on my first track day I didn't know how to remove the mirrors so I just folded them down flush with the cowling. My bike seriously looked like a bug!! I think I might reconsider my dragon theme and go with a beetle.

Old April 5th, 2013, 09:33 AM   #18
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Slick_Stevo View Post
I too have problems seeing out of my mirrors, I had always thought it was me.

I have had some success adjusting my left mirror so that I have a half decent field of vision, but can never seem to get the right side done. This is mostly due to the fact that unless I'm actually riding, its hard to judge where to position it to get the best view of whats behind me....and I'm not too keen on taking my hand off the throttle while in traffic

anyone ever used something like this? >>> http://www.ebay.com/itm/360552068857...93f6f9&vxp=mtr
For the right mirror, I'd find an empty street to park in and fiddle with it until it was close. Then go riding down an empty neighborhood and coast while making the last minute adjustments. If I found out I needed minor changes after I had traffic around me, I'd tweak it when stopped at a light.

I saw those extensions but thought they'd look funny. (Course going with what I have now, maybe is was more "looks like a mod vs stock".)