Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Motorcycling News

Notices

Old May 25th, 2016, 01:10 AM   #1
Ninjette Newsbot
All the news that's fit to excerpt

Name: newsie

Motorcycle(s): only digital replicas

[visordown.com] - Anstey to race Honda RC213VS at TT 2016

NEW ZEALAND'S Bruce Anstey is set to race a Honda RC213V-S in this year's Superbike and Senior Isle of Man TT races.

The Valvoline Racing by Padgett’s Motorcycles team have confirmed that the Flying Kiwi will have a race prepared version of the V4 machine for the Superbike and Senior TT races.

Anstey, however, has not yet tested the machine, but will have his first taste on Saturday as the TT practices begin. There will, of course, be the option of the superbike spec Fireblade that he rode in the first 6-lap Superbike race victory last year.

Speaking about the chance of riding a MotoGP bike at the TT, Anstey explained: 'It has always been a dream of mine to ride a MotoGP bike at the TT and this is as close as I will ever get, Clive is the only person in the world who could put something like this together and if he says it is OK I am with him 100%.

'He hasn’t just pulled it out of the crate and said we are racing it. Clive and the team have done a lot of work to the bike to make it ready for the TT.'

The ten-time TT winner also went on to explain how well suited the V4 is suited to the Mountain course: 'The RCV should be an absolute weapon because it has loads of power but it feels as nimble as a 600.

'It should be stable too as it’s over 2 inches longer than a Fireblade but is still really small and compact. I am really looking forward to seeing how it handles through the quick corners because it will be able to turn so fast.'

Valvoline Racing by Padgetts Motorcycles team boss Clive Padgett did not actually create this idea, it was in fact a customer who mentioned a production version of Marc Marquez's Grand Prix bike racing on the 37 ¾ mile Mountain course.

'I was having a few pints of Guinness with a customer who had just bought an RCV from us and he said wouldn’t it be great to see one of them going down Bray Hill. That planted the seed in my head and it has been germinating ever since,' explained Padgett.

'The TT is all about pioneering innovation and I really wanted to do something different. I see this as being in the spirit of what Mr Honda did when he first came to the TT with his race bikes in 1959.

'I think this will bring even more global attention to the TT this year and that can only be a good thing. I am really giddy about it all. I might be over 50 now but inside I am still a 19 year old racer!'

However, preparing the RC213V-S has not been easy as things had to be made bespoke such as the wheels, the K-Tech forks, the rear shocks, the breaks and the radiator guard all of which could not just be taken 'off the shelf'. The RCV’s standard package produces a mere 159bhp, but with the £10,000 race kit fitted, including a titanium exhaust and a special ECU, the V4 delivers over 200bhp.

But most importantly, Padgett had a motive behind this Grand Prix bike as he concluded: 'I love Bruce to bits and I wanted to give him the best motorcycle in the world to ride. That’s what this bike is all about.'

Related Content

IOMTT: Tuesday evening practice times
IOMTT: Wednesday's practice cut short
IOMTT: Thursday's practice times
IOMTT: Friday's practice times
IOMTT: Monday evening practice times

Click here for full story...