ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Notices

Old October 9th, 2018, 04:06 PM   #1
propilot
ninjette.org member

Name: keV

Motorcycle(s): 04 ex250

WTF is the problem now?

Bike runs strong for 10 minutes then dies! Riding in NYC, that's a serious safety hazard especially on the highway. WTF!

I read another thread where someone had same issue but he never followed up with what the issue was He also went all out..carb rebuild, valve adjustment, chain and sprocket adjustment, basically dismantled entire bike.. eff that!

Imma do it much simpler (ie lazy version) and let u kno what actually was wrong. I'm heading in 2 directions. Fuel and coolant.

Fuel because bike sat for 8-10 months and ran better when i emptied 90% of tank and refilled it. I say 90% cuz I drained it w a hose but couldn't get gas out of gutters (hose too short & too lazy to take tank off). Also fuel because I used a 5/8th fuel hose and ebay inline metal cone filter. From what i gather 5/16" is the correct size and inline filters r not gravity fed. I need to research this more tho.

And I'm thinking coolant cuz, although bike stays in the 1/4 to half temp range, I lost a lot of coolant the other day (right side of bike - not sure where, fairings were on and I was late for work) and my baby ran smoother and faster last time I flushed coolant out. Before i order a water pump and thermostat, I will do some more testing first.

Also if i shift between 4-5k rpm, bike wont shut off but sounds like a tractor right now (suspecting low coolant from the loss). If i redline her, she starts sputtering and shuts off. I have to let her cool 5 minutes before she'll start back up. More to come. Sorry for long intro.
propilot is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2018, 05:03 PM   #2
greg737
-

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Fuel system? Yeah, likely.

But Coolant as a cause of the symptoms you described, very unlikely.

You wouldn't be the first person to induce his own intermittent fuel-starvation situation. The truth of your situation might be that the period of time you're imagining as "cooling time" might in actuality be "refilling the carb float bowls time".

Did you know that there's a fuel filter contained within the EX250's OEM fuel line to the carbs? There's a short discussion of this original equipment fuel filter in this maintenance tip over at ninja250.org: https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/How_do...fuel_filter%3F. There are a couple of really good pictures of the OEM filter and its location on the carbs.

If the problem doesn't turn out to be a clogged up OEM filter, it might be your add-on filter.

Good luck figuring this out.

And... if you do figure it out don't be "that guy" you described in your post by simply riding off on your happy little way instead of coming back here to document/explain what you found and how you fixed it. Show the forum some love is all I'm saying.
greg737 is offline   Reply With Quote

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old October 9th, 2018, 05:38 PM   #3
Triple Jim
Guy Who Enjoys Riding

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250

MOTM - Oct '18, Aug '17, Aug '16
A clogged tank vent can do what you're describing too. Next time it happens, open the tank lid and listen for air whooshing in.
Triple Jim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2018, 07:22 PM   #4
propilot
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Triple Jim View Post
A clogged tank vent can do what you're describing too. Next time it happens, open the tank lid and listen for air whooshing in.
When the bike is running I'm assuming? Where is the vent located? I should probably search this but figured I might just get away w asking..

Quote:
Originally Posted by greg737 View Post
Fuel system? Yeah, likely.

But Coolant as a cause of the symptoms you described, very unlikely.

And... if you do figure it out don't be "that guy" you described in your post by simply riding off on your happy little way instead of coming back here to document/explain what you found and how you fixed it. Show the forum some love is all I'm saying.
I'm def not that guy. Check my other threads, I stay till the end. I always return the love I receive
There's only one filter I'm aware of and the one I replaced is the one next to the petcock.
As far as coolant goes, i def had a major leak recently and flushing the coolant transformed it (momentarily) from a tractor to a tesla. Never realized how important coolant was to a bike's performance. I thought it just kept it within a specific temp range.

Old October 9th, 2018, 07:31 PM   #5
Snake
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
The vent is located in the gas cap. If the vent is clogged you should hear air rushing in when you unlock and open the cap.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2018, 07:36 PM   #6
greg737
-

So your EX250 doesn't have this original fuel filter? It was removed at some point?

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/File:Fuel_Filter_4.JPG

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/File:Fuel_Filter_3.JPG

Old October 9th, 2018, 07:46 PM   #7
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
Quote:
Originally Posted by propilot View Post
Bike runs strong for 10 minutes then dies! Riding in NYC, that's a serious safety hazard especially on the highway. WTF!

I read another thread where someone had same issue but he never followed up with what the issue was He also went all out..carb rebuild, valve adjustment, chain and sprocket adjustment, basically dismantled entire bike.. eff that!

Imma do it much simpler (ie lazy version) and let u kno what actually was wrong. I'm heading in 2 directions. Fuel and coolant.

Fuel because bike sat for 8-10 months and ran better when i emptied 90% of tank and refilled it. I say 90% cuz I drained it w a hose but couldn't get gas out of gutters (hose too short & too lazy to take tank off). Also fuel because I used a 5/8th fuel hose and ebay inline metal cone filter. From what i gather 5/16" is the correct size and inline filters r not gravity fed. I need to research this more tho.

And I'm thinking coolant cuz, although bike stays in the 1/4 to half temp range, I lost a lot of coolant the other day (right side of bike - not sure where, fairings were on and I was late for work) and my baby ran smoother and faster last time I flushed coolant out. Before i order a water pump and thermostat, I will do some more testing first.

Also if i shift between 4-5k rpm, bike wont shut off but sounds like a tractor right now (suspecting low coolant from the loss). If i redline her, she starts sputtering and shuts off. I have to let her cool 5 minutes before she'll start back up. More to come. Sorry for long intro.
You've got two independent problems here, both fuel and coolant. As you've noticed, coolant-temp doesn't change very quickly, so it's not going to overheat in the time it takes you to go from 4-5k to redline. That breaking up and sputtering at redline is fuel. If you don't even want to take tank off, there's no way you're gonna fix this because it's going to require A LOT more work than that. Perhaps even more than that guy you quoted above. Easiest is to take to shop and have them deal with it.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 9th, 2018, 08:01 PM   #8
propilot
ninjette.org member

Quote:
So your EX250 doesn't have this original fuel filter? It was removed at some point?

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/File:Fuel_Filter_4.JPG

https://faq.ninja250.org/wiki/File:Fuel_Filter_3.JPG
I changed it last year but it never looked like that?? And my bike was bone stock w 3.6k miles on it. Now has almost 11k.
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg Ninja carb.jpeg (106.4 KB, 9 views)

Old October 9th, 2018, 09:06 PM   #9
greg737
-

Quote:
I changed it last year but it never looked like that?? And my bike was bone stock w 3.6k miles on it. Now has almost 11k.
Okay, maybe the OEM filter got pulled out of the carb elbow when you removed the original fuel line to install your external aftermarket fuel filter (I'm interpreting your response as meaning you're pretty sure it no longer exists on your bike).

Another possibility that could cause the symptoms you described is the vacuum line between the carb and petcock that opens the petcock when the engine is running. Maybe it isn't providing enough vacuum "pull" to flow enough fuel for the engine to run properly.

Old October 9th, 2018, 09:12 PM   #10
propilot
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Okay, maybe the OEM filter got pulled out of the carb elbow when you removed the original fuel line to install your external aftermarket fuel filter
Another possibility that could cause the symptoms you described is the vacuum line between the carb and petcock that opens the petcock when the engine is running. Maybe it isn't providing enough vacuum "pull" to flow enough fuel for the engine to run properly.
Yes, line and filter were already in place. I just replaced line n filter w a new one. I'll check vacuum tomorrow n keep u posted. Thanks for ur wisdom.

Old October 10th, 2018, 03:05 AM   #11
maverick9611
"a legend in my own mind"

Name: maverick9611

Motorcycle(s): 2015 moto guzzi norge(brownie),2020 aprilia dorsoduro,

MOTM - Feb '18
yup, many don't even know it's even there

Last futzed with by maverick9611; October 10th, 2018 at 02:03 PM.
maverick9611 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2018, 08:18 AM   #12
DannoXYZ

Name: AKA JacRyann

Motorcycle(s): CB125T CBR250R-MC19 CBR250RR-MC22 NSR350R-MC21 VF500F CBR600RR SFV650 VFR750F R1M ST1300PA Valkyrie-F6C

MOTY - 2018, MOTM - Nov '17
And the direction filter aims is very important as well. Otherwise it crumples in on itself and blocks flow.
DannoXYZ is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2018, 09:01 AM   #13
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
Quote:
Originally Posted by DannoXYZ View Post
And the direction filter aims is very important as well. Otherwise it crumples in on itself and blocks flow.
yup!carry a spare too.

Old October 10th, 2018, 09:55 AM   #14
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Originally Posted by maverick9611 View Post
yup, many don'y even know it's even there
Here's some more info and part numbers for the filter from our very own ducatiman (shown on EX500 carbs, but the same part) - https://www.ex-500.com/50-carburetor...ative-yes.html

Best/least expensive option - $3.88 from RonAyers.com is Kawasaki part # 49019-1085
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old October 10th, 2018, 11:53 AM   #15
propilot
ninjette.org member

So, um..what r u guys saying? Should I get rid of my current filter?

So today i tackled the fuel issue. Didn't wanna do both fuel & coolant and not kno what the culprit was.

I basically changed the fuel line from that crappy transparent blue ebay 5/8 line to a genuine 5/16 line purchased at Autozone in case carbs were getting too much fuel and choking. Filter looked fine (correct me if I'm wrong). I also removed the carb for the first time in 14yrs (Nikita's lifespan - that's the name of my bike btw) and sprayed a whole can of cleaner. No, I didn't dismantle it cuz carbs downright scare me. I'm afraid of losing or moving jets/needles or doing something stupid. It looked dirty on the outside but surprisingly clean on the inside. I checked all lines and vacuums. All good. I also emptied gas tank, there's still a lil swooshing inside that won't come out no matter how hard I shake the fn thing. Oh and part of airbox connecting to carb looks all effed up. Wasn't on correctly but never has been since I got bike 7k miles ago..

I also probably have cancer now cuz I sprayed carb cleaner all over myself including my eyes.

Taking a beer and lunch break now. Will go get gas and test Nikita in a few. Then I'll tackle coolant (surprisingly, the coolant level was on par). I did tighten the bolt on the engine block 3/4 turn just cuz it had to be leaking from somewhere. Let's see..
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg carb.jpeg (146.6 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg carb2.jpeg (112.8 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg carb3.jpeg (140.5 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg carb4.jpeg (87.6 KB, 5 views)
File Type: jpeg carb5.jpeg (132.5 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpeg carb6.jpeg (130.1 KB, 3 views)
File Type: jpeg carb7.jpeg (137.2 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg carb8.jpeg (135.9 KB, 2 views)
File Type: jpeg carb9.jpeg (122.5 KB, 4 views)
File Type: jpeg carb10.jpeg (113.9 KB, 6 views)

Old October 10th, 2018, 12:47 PM   #16
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
The filter and line routing may be causing enough restriction to give you the fuel-starving problems you are having (pic 10). The line is bending quite a bit from the petcock to the filter. There isn't much room there, so adding a filter can cause more problems than it solves.

Easy enough to just run a new line without the filter and give it a try. If that works, I'd be sure to use the factory inline filter.

If that doesn't change anything, I'd pop the gas cap when it starts to run poorly (listening for air rushing in) and see if that corrects it.

That intake boot doesn't look too good (pic 4), I'd find a replacement.

The vacuum line to the petcock is also a possibility.

Check inside the tank for the condition of the screens on the petcock. Try switching to Reserve when the problems start to see if that changes anything.

Either way, it sounds like a fuel flow issue to me.

Old October 10th, 2018, 01:00 PM   #17
propilot
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Easy enough to just run a new line without the filter and give it a try. If that works, I'd be sure to use the factory inline filter.

The vacuum line to the petcock is also a possibility.
Vacuum line is fine.

Paint in fuel tank is peeling a little, wouldn't be surprised, if a paint flake is blocking flow somewhere.

Well whatever i did, I made it worst. She started right up but then died soon as I gave it a lil throttle. Repeated that 3 times and now she won't start at all. I was thinking of running a straight line like you suggested. I'll try that now.

Old October 10th, 2018, 01:14 PM   #18
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Vacuum line is fine.

Paint in fuel tank is peeling a little, wouldn't be surprised, if a paint flake is blocking flow somewhere.

Well whatever i did, I made it worst. She started right up but then died soon as I gave it a lil throttle. Repeated that 3 times and now she won't start at all. I was thinking of running a straight line like you suggested. I'll try that now.
Shouldn't be any paint in there. Most likely a sealer. Chances are that's blocking the screens on the petcock, and underneath it is rust.

Old October 10th, 2018, 01:47 PM   #19
propilot
ninjette.org member

I guess sometimes I just make easy things complicated

It WAS the aftermarket fuel filter all along. Hunk of junk!

Anyways, i ran a straight line (no filter) and she's running like a champ. Took her for a spin on the highway and she was all too happy to keep redlining. Love my Nikita.

Thanks for all the advice. I'll order a stock filter and most likely drop her off for a valve adjustment. She sounds a lil rough, especially when cold.

On a different not, I'm moving to North Carolina November 1st after 20yrs in NY. I hear they have some nice twisties!!! Can't wait
Attached Images
File Type: jpeg fuel line.jpeg (117.1 KB, 3 views)

Old October 10th, 2018, 01:48 PM   #20
greg737
-

What did I tell you in my very first response to this thread?

In case you don't remember:
Quote:
You wouldn't be the first person to induce his own intermittent fuel-starvation situation. The truth of your situation might be that the period of time you're imagining as "cooling time" might in actuality be "refilling the carb float bowls time".

Old October 10th, 2018, 02:06 PM   #21
maverick9611

MOTM - Feb '18
I tried VW style filters for the longest time but the curve is just too great. I went back to the in-line filter and everything is fine. I actually had the line separate on my VW filter I wondered why I was smelling gas all the time

Old October 10th, 2018, 02:38 PM   #22
propilot
ninjette.org member

Quote:
What did I tell you in my very first response to this thread?
I kno bro but u went Einstein on me. What u should of said was "get rid of that hunk of junk filter motherfo" and I would of understood.

Old October 10th, 2018, 03:52 PM   #23
propilot
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Best/least expensive option - $3.88 from RonAyers.com is Kawasaki part # 49019-1085
Um..yeah but add $11 shipping. Wtf?

Old October 10th, 2018, 03:54 PM   #24
greg737
-

Quote:
get some other stuff you'll be needing in the future, like oil filters.

Old October 10th, 2018, 04:25 PM   #25
propilot
ninjette.org member

Quote:
get some other stuff you'll be needing in the future, like oil filters.
I want a new seat.. but $150 makes me think I should go with the seat cover by Northwest for $60 including shipping. Have u heard anything good about them?

Old October 11th, 2018, 06:23 AM   #26
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Do some searching to see if you can find it with more reasonable shipping, and probably buy a couple.

Small stuff like that is usually worth paying more for (list price) at the dealer and not having shipped - if you have a dealer withing range.

You could PM ducatiman and see if he sells them. He may buy them by the dozen.

Old October 11th, 2018, 06:48 AM   #27
motorjunkiematty420
Ninja 250 and beta 300

Name: Matty

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Kawasaki Ninja 250

If it runs then quits i bet its the carb jet needle. i have a video on how to remove the carb from the bike and then replace the jets check it outhttps://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N3f_ulfo-RE&t=4s

Old October 11th, 2018, 03:49 PM   #28
propilot
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Do some searching to see if you can find it with more reasonable shipping, and probably buy a couple.
a) How stupid is it to keep running her without a filter? She runs smooth now w/ no hesitation. And warms up right away w very lil choke time..

b) Should I try the Northwest Vinyl seat cover or just buy a used seat off ebay? (same price by $10-20) I'm worried that the used seat is just gonna deteriorate as well cuz they're all 11yrs or older..

Old October 11th, 2018, 04:18 PM   #29
jkv45
Rev Limiter

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Because of the condition of the tank I'd say you would definitely want a filter of some kind.

If you think you can fit the cover yourself I'd say a cover might be better than trying to find a really good used seat that's 11 years old.

Old October 11th, 2018, 04:21 PM   #30
propilot
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Because of the condition of the tank I'd say you would definitely want a filter of some kind.

If you think you can fit the cover yourself I'd say a cover might be better than trying to find a really good used seat that's 11 years old.
Cool. Copy that.