Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Ride Reports

Notices

Old December 26th, 2013, 10:09 AM   #1
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Name: Lance

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250r

Question WTF!!!!!!!!

So on my way to work today I get pulled over, I look down and see that I am going about 4 mph over the speed limit and I am like what the F**k!? Cop ask's me if this was my first time out today, told him yes and that I was on my way to work. He said that someone on a bike that looked just like mine, with loud exhaust and decked out in gear was doing 110+ on highway 146 (La Porte, TX) earlier this morning. I told him that it was definitly not me and that my bike was a 250 and and I don't think I could even get it to 110 mph even going downhill with the wind at my back. He let me go with a warning, but now I am worried that this squid dumb ass is going to get me in trouble because he has a bike like mine. Anyone else have a situation happen to them like this? Can the police do anything to me unless they have an actual match to my plates?
LNasty is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2013, 10:14 AM   #2
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

I don't know the law....but I'm fairly sure the reason of, "His bike looked similar to another bike, and they were both wearing gear," would have no chance in court. But if he pulled you over for that reason, and found out that you were drunk or something, that's a different story.

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2013, 10:18 AM   #3
tfkrocks
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Rebecca

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
I think the fact that you're riding a 250 will give that accusation absolutely no weight in court. Those 26 ponies ain't hauling ass like that squid anywhere lol.
tfkrocks is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2013, 10:21 AM   #4
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by tfkrocks View Post
I think the fact that you're riding a 250 will give that accusation absolutely no weight in court. Those 26 ponies ain't hauling ass like that squid anywhere lol.
I Know, I told the cop that the person in question has to have at least a 600 to be doing that. I have seen two other black and yellow 250's in my area but unless they have their bike fully moded and had the wind at their bike I don't think it was a 250

Old December 26th, 2013, 10:24 AM   #5
tfkrocks

Motorcycle(s): 2013 Ninja 300 w/ ABS, 2014 NC700X, 2008 Ninja 250 (sold), 2002 Ninja 250 (sold)

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
If a cop doesn't know anything about bikes and still tries to pin it on you, I'm sure a judge would just laugh. A look at any spec sheet would quickly show that it can't possibly be you.

Old December 26th, 2013, 10:30 AM   #6
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

I just don't see how they could pin it on me without a match on my plates. I have seen plenty of black bike out there and unless you ride you wuoldn't know the differences. pure crap man!

Old December 26th, 2013, 10:32 AM   #7
rasta
Your face

Name: Wes

Motorcycle(s): 2014 Honda CBR650f

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
I just don't see how they could pin it on me without a match on my plates. I have seen plenty of black bike out there and unless you ride you wuoldn't know the differences. pure crap man!
Honestly....credit to you for not laughing at the cop's face right then and there lol

"even a proper fitting helmet can 'get loose'" -csmith
rasta is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2013, 10:33 AM   #8
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by rasta View Post
Honestly....credit to you for not laughing at the cop's face right then and there lol
Lol, I was very close to doing that, but I felt it wouldn't help in the situation.

Old December 26th, 2013, 10:35 AM   #9
csmith12
The Corner Whisperer

Name: Chris (aka Reactor)

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250 (track), 1992 250, 2006 R6 (street/track), 2008 R6 (track)

MOTY 2015, MOTM - Nov '12, Nov '13
"My wife says" TM lol (she is a budding attorney)

Probable cause gives them the right to pull you over as you match the description, but it will not hold in court. She says, “stay clean and you got nuttin to worry bout.”
csmith12 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2013, 11:04 AM   #10
tfkrocks

MOTM - Jan '18, Sep '13
They might also be looking for a stolen bike, but they're not going to say that outright.

Old December 26th, 2013, 11:43 AM   #11
NevadaWolf
Certified looney toon

Name: Teri

Motorcycle(s): 2012 Ninja 250, 102k+ miles -- 2014 CB500X, 42k+ miles

MOTM Jul '13, Jul '14
Haven't had it happen on my bike. But have had that happen with my truck.

A tow truck driver friend of mine warned me there was a spree of 4Runner thefts and to lock up my truck tight each night. So, when I started attracting the attention of the local LEOs I was forewarned. The first time, I had driven out to investigate some weird lights on a hill (turned out it was a truck on a mountain dirt road I'd forgotten about), cop pulled me over for "suspicious driving pattern" or something like that (there's a lot more details but not relevant to this story). A bit into talking to him, found out a truck was stolen that looked like mine. Finished up the conversation and went on my way.

Second time was pulled over due to "license plate light out". That one I called him on, "Sure its not because I am driving a 4Runner, several of which have been stolen in the last two weeks?" He looked at me and muttered he had a legitimate reason. I laughed, told him to check the VIN and my license, I didn't care since I'd rather them be thorough than miss my truck if it was stolen.

The funny thing was the one stolen that "looked like mine" was a first gen version that was baby blue. Mine's a second gen, gold, with a distinctive rack on the top. Hehehehe
Hold yourself to the same rules you expect others to follow.
NevadaWolf is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 26th, 2013, 09:53 PM   #12
greenaero
Motorcycle Hypermiler

Name: Vic

Motorcycle(s): 1999 & 2005 Kawasaki Ninja 250R's

I've been stopped many times by LEOs, often for no apparent reason. As stated by others, the LEO can stop you for ' probable cause" which translates to virtually reason that the officer can come up with. The LEO would need to have actual evidence that you had violated the law before they can cite you for an infraction. The LEOs are constantly scanning for suspicious vehicles and motos unfortunately fall in that category. As frustrating as it can be at times, stay cool and be respectful, you should survive the encounter unscathed.
The OP handled the situation fine and has nothing to worry about.

Old December 27th, 2013, 02:47 PM   #13
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

ROC got a warm engine your impounded before it even begins, doesn't hold up in court but it takes a number of bikes off the road before it begins.
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 27th, 2013, 07:33 PM   #14
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
What sucks even though he can't actually ticket you on such circumstantial evidence is the fact it draws more attention from cops to riders. Damn, that's the last thing I need.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2013, 10:08 AM   #15
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by ally99 View Post
What sucks even though he can't actually ticket you on such circumstantial evidence is the fact it draws more attention from cops to riders. Damn, that's the last thing I need.
Thats how I feel, Everytime I pass a cop now I feel like they are gunning for me just because I am on a black bike. I have seen two other black 2012 250's in my area as well as numerous black sportbikes of other makes. I try to stay at speed limit at all times, but its not hard to get 5-10 mph above it.

Old December 28th, 2013, 12:50 PM   #16
old3
ninjette.org sage

Name: Jim

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 300, KTM EXC610SMR

You need to separate yourself from the other similar motos on the road. Pick any or all of the following accessories!
old3 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2013, 01:08 PM   #17
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
What was the warning for?

Old December 28th, 2013, 01:31 PM   #18
LNasty
Daily Jap rider

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
What was the warning for?
I was going about 4 mph over the speed limit. He just used that as probable cause to pull me over so he could question me about possibly being the one doing 110+ down the freeway

Old December 28th, 2013, 02:11 PM   #19
c-dog
ninjette.org sage

Name: -

Motorcycle(s): -

Quote:
Originally Posted by LNasty View Post
Thats how I feel, Everytime I pass a cop now I feel like they are gunning for me just because I am on a black bike. I have seen two other black 2012 250's in my area as well as numerous black sportbikes of other makes. I try to stay at speed limit at all times, but its not hard to get 5-10 mph above it.
I'm always paranoid going past cops. Even though I go the speed limit they pull out and follow me. That's part of the problem with having a sport-bike. They pull out thinking I'm going to take off or something, I never do anything and they turn off after a mile or two. I bet they are checking the license and seeing if they could have a fun chase that day.

I get followed all the time and I know I am noticed. I don't believe you need a loud exhaust to get attention. Just have a sporty looking bike and you are a target.
c-dog is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 28th, 2013, 02:29 PM   #20
ally99
Ninja chick

Name: Allyson

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300

MOTM - Dec '13, Feb '15
Quote:
Originally Posted by old3 View Post
You need to separate yourself from the other similar motos on the road. Pick any or all of the following accessories!
I could dig some of that.

Check out my Appalachian Trail journal, 2015!

Postwhores are COOL! ~Allyson
ally99 is offline   Reply With Quote