ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old January 15th, 2014, 10:38 PM   #1
fishdip
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Fish

Motorcycle(s): 250/300

Full rebuild of the ninja

So I am planning to rebuild the ninja from the ground up.
What extra mods do you guys recommend?
How hard is it going to be if I take the engine apart including the trans to put back together?
Any good info on the full rebuild of the trans and engine?

Old January 15th, 2014, 10:50 PM   #2
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Name: Cuong

Motorcycle(s): '10 250r, '09 265r

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishdip View Post
So I am planning to rebuild the ninja from the ground up.
What extra mods do you guys recommend?
How hard is it going to be if I take the engine apart including the trans to put back together?
Any good info on the full rebuild of the trans and engine?
All I can really suggest to you is to have the FSM handy. Do you plan on replacing everything? bearings and what not? It's really not that daunting once you've cracked the motor open and exposed the internals. Have the cylinders checked to see if they're within tolerances otherwise bore up and get some new pistons. You can get away with reusing the connect rod bolts for getting your clearances checked as they're a one time use thing. Just be sure to use new ones for final assembly.

I used a lot of paper shop towels to wipe down parts and all that fiber accumulated on the oil screen after doing my first initial oil change after the rebuild. Be careful to not overtorque the bolts. I forgot most of the bolts are in inch/lbs and not ft/lbs.

Old January 15th, 2014, 11:11 PM   #3
fishdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by cuong-nutz View Post
All I can really suggest to you is to have the FSM handy. Do you plan on replacing everything? bearings and what not?
I plan to replace most if not all the stuff in it. also doing +1 pistons.

Old January 15th, 2014, 11:16 PM   #4
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Make sure you order all you need at one time since most places charge a relative flat rate $10+ even if it's a small little gasket that could have fitted in a standard envelope.

Old January 15th, 2014, 11:18 PM   #5
fishdip

Quote:
Make sure you order all you need at one time since most places charge a relative flat rate $10+ even if it's a small little gasket that could have fitted in a standard envelope.
You want to send me a pm with the place you got your parts from? Also do you have a rebuild thread for yours. Did you take apart your trans?

Old January 15th, 2014, 11:28 PM   #6
Midnight_tinkerer
ninjette.org member

Name: Glenn

Motorcycle(s): GPX250, ZZR250, CT90

If you do not have any mechanical experience then it can be very hard. Having a workshop manual helps, but they are written for mechanics, so they usually don't go into enough detail for a novice. Cyclepedia have an online manual you can subscribe to, which has full colour photo's, and may explain things better. There are also many youtube videos of people demonstrating how they rebuilt specific engines. Keep in mind though that some are done by novices and may not be doing the right thing.

Read as much as you can about each aspect of the job before doing it.
Buy good tools.
Buy the correct tool for the job. Otherwise you may cause damage to the engine, costing you more money in the long run.
Do not have any time constraints, as this may lead to rushing and making mistakes.

If it is a cheap bike, and you have plenty of time, then go for it. Treat the exercise as a learning experience. Engines are fun to play with.

As far as mods go, the sky is the limit. But conservatively, a rebore with the max size genuine oversize pistons & rings for reliability. Some light cleaning up of the ports to remove any steps/ lips/ casting imperfections, making sure valves are seated well & not leaking. K&N airfilter in standard airbox, ex pipe & jet kit. Larger front sprocket.

Last futzed with by Midnight_tinkerer; January 15th, 2014 at 11:42 PM. Reason: additions
Midnight_tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 15th, 2014, 11:37 PM   #7
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
You want to send me a pm with the place you got your parts from? Also do you have a rebuild thread for yours. Did you take apart your trans?
I've ordered parts mostly from Cheap Cycle Parts

There's also Ron Ayers, Bike Bandit, and Partszilla. I didn't fully take apart my transmission (gear wise) since I didn't have any issues with it. I just inspected the bearings to make sure there wasn't any play or damage. I don't have a rebuild thread of any sort, but plenty of us can offer you help if you come to snag.

Old January 15th, 2014, 11:46 PM   #8
fishdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by Midnight_tinkerer View Post
If you do not have any mechanical experience then it can be very hard. Having a workshop manual helps, but they are written for mechanics, so they usually don't go into enough detail for a novice. Cyclepedia have an online manual you can subscribe to, which has full colour photo's, and may explain things better. There are also many youtube videos of people demonstrating how they rebuilt specific engines. Keep in mind though that some are done by novices and may not be doing the right thing.

Read as much as you can about each aspect of the job before doing it.
Buy good tools.
Buy the correct tool for the job. Otherwise you may cause damage to the engine, costing you more money in the long run.
Do not have any time constraints, as this may lead to rushing and making mistakes.

If it is a cheap bike, and you have plenty of time, then go for it. Treat the exercise as a learning experience. Engines are fun to play with.

As far as mods go, the sky is the limit. But conservatively, a rebore with the max size genuine oversize pistons & rings for reliability. Some light cleaning up of the ports to remove any steps/ lips/ casting imperfections, making sure valves are seated well & not leaking. K&N airfilter in standard airbox, ex pipe & jet kit. Larger front sprocket.
I have the tools other then a way to take measurements accurately any recommendations? What do you guys recommend for a new shock?

Old January 15th, 2014, 11:50 PM   #9
fishdip

I will be getting another 250 or a 500 so I will not want to rush this.

Old January 16th, 2014, 12:51 AM   #10
Midnight_tinkerer
ninjette.org member

Name: Glenn

Motorcycle(s): GPX250, ZZR250, CT90

Quote:
I have the tools other then a way to take measurements accurately any recommendations?
Ideally a Micrometer to measure crank journal ovality & taper. But visually inspecting the crank bearing surfaces, and then using Plastigauge to measure oil clearances will suffice. Feeler gauges between piston & bore can be a cheap substitute for a bore gauge.
Midnight_tinkerer is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 16th, 2014, 01:43 PM   #11
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250 2001

A useful tool for measuring the round of your piston big end caps and the engine cylinders (in conjunction with a digital caliper) is the telescoping gauges. They're spring loaded and they shoot out while theyre inside your cylinder and you tighten the knob to lock the measurement in place and then measure.
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece...-set-5649.html

The valve spring compressor is pretty much a must in my opinion if you plan on taking your valves out. I wasn't able to find any generic model that would actually work with the 250's head. I bought mine off ebay and it worked great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-5...item1c2c383c5f

You'll need a full set of metric sockets, I'd recommend both deep and standard length. Oil pan, shop rags, beer, music, electric drill with a screw extractor set and hammer, engine stand or small dolly, I'll try to think of more than that.

I'm in the process of putting a steering damper on (even though I think my new front tire alleviated my issue). You could try that out. A jet kit and new rear + front shock is pretty much a must in my book. It'll give you a whole new bike. The bore out is gonna be awesome as well even though I've never done it.

Stainless Steel brake lines up front at least would be a pretty good upgrade. You could play around with a bigger master cylinder if you wanna get crazy.

Maybe a +1/-4 sprocket setup.

Sintered brake pads up front.

I'd say a digital/analog gauge combo but I don't think you have a streetfighter. The fairings and windscreen help this bike a lot fyi....

Bigger tires.

Gear shift indicator.

I think I might throw a fuel pump in the tank one of these days. The bike seems to perform better with a fuel tank and I think it may be the extra bit of weight up top......

For the clutch assembly you're gonna need a clutch holder tool so you might wanna save up/buy that now.

Old January 16th, 2014, 02:16 PM   #12
fishdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by FvnnyL3tt3r1ng View Post
A useful tool for measuring the round of your piston big end caps and the engine cylinders (in conjunction with a digital caliper) is the telescoping gauges. They're spring loaded and they shoot out while theyre inside your cylinder and you tighten the knob to lock the measurement in place and then measure.
http://www.harborfreight.com/6-piece...-set-5649.html

The valve spring compressor is pretty much a must in my opinion if you plan on taking your valves out. I wasn't able to find any generic model that would actually work with the 250's head. I bought mine off ebay and it worked great.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Heavy-Duty-5...item1c2c383c5f

You'll need a full set of metric sockets, I'd recommend both deep and standard length. Oil pan, shop rags, beer, music, electric drill with a screw extractor set and hammer, engine stand or small dolly, I'll try to think of more than that.

I'm in the process of putting a steering damper on (even though I think my new front tire alleviated my issue). You could try that out. A jet kit and new rear + front shock is pretty much a must in my book. It'll give you a whole new bike. The bore out is gonna be awesome as well even though I've never done it.

Stainless Steel brake lines up front at least would be a pretty good upgrade. You could play around with a bigger master cylinder if you wanna get crazy.

Maybe a +1/-4 sprocket setup.

Sintered brake pads up front.

I'd say a digital/analog gauge combo but I don't think you have a streetfighter. The fairings and windscreen help this bike a lot fyi....

Bigger tires.

Gear shift indicator.

I think I might throw a fuel pump in the tank one of these days. The bike seems to perform better with a fuel tank and I think it may be the extra bit of weight up top......

For the clutch assembly you're gonna need a clutch holder tool so you might wanna save up/buy that now.
I have a +2 -5 on it now.

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old January 17th, 2014, 02:23 AM   #13
fishdip

What tools/cleaners for cleaning parts do you recommend?

Old January 17th, 2014, 07:53 AM   #14
TnNinjaGirl
Ms. Personality

Name: CB

Motorcycle(s): Depends on the week you ask

Something like this. That's pretty much all you need for most stuff. You'll occasionally run into situations where you need specialty tools or a bigger hammer.

Simple Green is a great all purpose cleaner
TnNinjaGirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 17th, 2014, 03:02 PM   #15
fishdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnNinjaGirl View Post
Something like this. That's pretty much all you need for most stuff. You'll occasionally run into situations where you need specialty tools or a bigger hammer.

Simple Green is a great all purpose cleaner
I think I have the sockets and wrenches down I was thinking tools for cleaning. like a parts washer or a belt sander. I only have a 6in grinder/wire wheel.

Old January 17th, 2014, 03:18 PM   #16
fishdip

Also what place are you guys getting your rear sets?

Old January 17th, 2014, 07:11 PM   #17
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Ebay, race forums, craigslist.

Old January 18th, 2014, 03:54 PM   #18
fishdip

Quote:
Ebay, race forums, craigslist.
Thanks I finely found woodcrafts and will be getting them. In order to get a full race lean angle what do I need to take off/change?

Old January 18th, 2014, 10:36 PM   #19
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

I really can't comment on this but I would imagine the center stand.

Old January 23rd, 2014, 04:56 PM   #20
fishdip

Quote:
I really can't comment on this but I would imagine the center stand.
Yep the center stand will need to go.
Dose any one have any know a good oil temp and water temp censor and place to install them?

Old January 23rd, 2014, 04:57 PM   #21
fishdip

Also do they make a way to monitor the oil pressure on the 250?

Old January 23rd, 2014, 11:16 PM   #22
cuong-nutz
RIP Alex

Quote:
Yep the center stand will need to go.
Dose any one have any know a good oil temp and water temp censor and place to install them?
Quote:
Also do they make a way to monitor the oil pressure on the 250?
You can use any type of automotive gauges of your liking or your cheapy Chinese brands. You can tap thermostat housing for the temp probe and mount the gauges on the fairings left and right of the cluster.

Old January 24th, 2014, 06:04 AM   #23
fishdip

Quote:
You can use any type of automotive gauges of your liking or your cheapy Chinese brands. You can tap thermostat housing for the temp probe and mount the gauges on the fairings left and right of the cluster.
What about the oil pressure? What is the one guys name that drags the 250? racer or something?

Old January 25th, 2014, 12:54 PM   #24
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Quote:
What about the oil pressure? What is the one guys name that drags the 250? racer or something?
Not sure about how those hook up but the oil pressure switch can probably be removed and replaced with one if you can find the right fittings for it.

Maybe you mean @racerx ?

Old January 25th, 2014, 12:58 PM   #25
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Don't forget your clutch holder tool

Old January 25th, 2014, 02:38 PM   #26
fishdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by FvnnyL3tt3r1ng View Post
Not sure about how those hook up but the oil pressure switch can probably be removed and replaced with one if you can find the right fittings for it.

Maybe you mean @racerx ?
Yep I got ahold of him he also recommends a T on the oil light.

Old January 25th, 2014, 03:57 PM   #27
FvnnyL3tt3r1ng

Quote:
Yep I got ahold of him he also recommends a T on the oil light.
What does he mean by a "T"?

Old January 25th, 2014, 05:30 PM   #28
fishdip

A plumbing part T

1 out of 1 members found this post helpful.
Old April 10th, 2014, 08:53 AM   #29
fishdip

Well the fun has started. I got a extra 250 for 200.00 its missing the carbs and top of the engine but its ok with me I am going to take it apart first so I can use it as a learning tool for rebuilding the other one.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 100MEDIA$IMAG04991.jpg (170.0 KB, 16 views)
File Type: jpg 100MEDIA$IMAG04981.jpg (178.8 KB, 5 views)

Old April 10th, 2014, 10:10 AM   #30
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
do you have a tool to pull the fly wheel, and a clutch wrench? Those things might prove to be useful along with a case separator if you plan on going that far.

A compression test could be useful as well

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 10th, 2014, 10:16 AM   #31
fishdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by subxero View Post
do you have a tool to pull the fly wheel, and a clutch wrench? Those things might prove to be useful along with a case separator if you plan on going that far.

A compression test could be useful as well
Any idea on the size I will need to get?

Old April 10th, 2014, 10:24 AM   #32
subxero
dirty boy

Name: Joe

Motorcycle(s): I don't even know anymore??

MOTM - Apr '14
for what tool?

The clutch wrench should be easy to find a compatible one, just find the size of the plates and find a tool to match.

As far as fly wheel puller, IDK? never done anything like that to the ninja, never had that side of the case even opened yet.

As far as the case splitter, IDK either, I feel like they are fairly universal though or at least one model will cover several engine types, again, never split my ninja case

any motorcycle compression tester should do

I don't think I'm a lot dumber than you thought that I think that I thought I was once.
subxero is offline   Reply With Quote

Old April 30th, 2014, 06:39 PM   #33
fishdip

So I am rebuilding the extra carbs and I plan to jet them. What jet kit is every one going with now days?

Old April 30th, 2014, 06:46 PM   #34
alex.s
wat

Name: wat

Motorcycle(s): wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
get a full set of jewelers micro drill bits (hand powered) they come in 0.01mmish increments. buy an extra pair of stock mains and pilots (jetsrus.com), then slowly drill them up one size each and test until its right. when you go too far it starts getting ****** so take your second pair and drill to the correct size. make sure you keep it straight or it will get oblong and be too big

Old April 30th, 2014, 06:55 PM   #35
fishdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by alex.s View Post
get a full set of jewelers micro drill bits (hand powered) they come in 0.01mmish increments. buy an extra pair of stock mains and pilots (jetsrus.com), then slowly drill them up one size each and test until its right. when you go too far it starts getting ****** so take your second pair and drill to the correct size. make sure you keep it straight or it will get oblong and be too big
What is (Slow Jet - 35*)
http://www.jetsrus.com/a_jet_kit_str...X250_Ninja.htm

Old April 30th, 2014, 07:01 PM   #36
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
slow jet is idle jet

Old May 1st, 2014, 04:48 AM   #37
quarterliter
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kevin

Motorcycle(s): 2004 Ninja 250

Quote:
The idea seems alright. But isn't there a taper and other tomfoolery going on in a jet that by drilling it, will mess it up?
quarterliter is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2014, 06:58 AM   #38
jkv45
Rev Limiter

Name: Jay

Motorcycle(s): '06 SV650n, '00 Derbi GPR, '64 CA77 Dream 305, '70 CL450 Scrambler, numerous dirt bikes

MOTM - Jun '18, Oct '16
Quote:
Everything I've seen says you can't drill jets. The inside of the jet is a venturi (correction - taper) and not just a straight hole.

Even "replacement" jets that are made for a specific carb won't flow the same as the OEM ones, so you need to be careful when purchasing jets for tuning as one brand of "108" won't flow the same as another brand's "108".
jkv45 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old May 1st, 2014, 07:04 AM   #39
fishdip

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkv45 View Post
Everything I've seen says you can't drill jets. The inside of the jet is a venturi and not just a straight hole.

Even "replacement" jets that are made for a specific carb won't flow the same as the OEM ones, so you need to be careful when purchasing jets for tuning as one brand of "108" won't flow the same as another brand's "108".
Interesting. Am I able to just order a few larger sizes and try jetting it that way or will they not fit?

Old May 1st, 2014, 07:07 AM   #40
alex.s
wat

MOTM - Oct '12, Feb '14
it is a taper not a de laval nozzle or a venturi stack. the taper is larger than the amount you'll be taking off so it stays intact unless you're going way too far. you obviously can't drill a needle jet, but taking 0.01mm off the wall of a jet? costs $10 instead of $100