ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R > 1986 - 2007 Ninja 250R Tech Talk

Old June 5th, 2015, 06:08 AM   #1
biblefreak
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250r

Safety Switches

So I have an issue with what I think is my clutch safety switch.

Symptom: Engine intermittently cuts out while running at various highway speeds. RPM's will drop to 0. Pulling the clutch in and thumbing the starter will typically restart the bike, or pulling the clutch in and letting it out to "push start" (at 70 mph!!) will restart the bike. This has happened a few times now.

Troubleshooting: While on a recent trip, I was unable to get it started again. A quick search through the FAQ showed how to bypass the safety switches. I bypassed the clutch safety switch (remove harness from clutch safety switch on the handlebars and jumper black/yellow to black/red) and the bike now runs fine. I tested the kickstand safety switch after bypassing the clutch safety switch, and it still shuts the bike down if attempting to ride with the kickstand down.

Question: I feel like this pretty strongly indicates an issue with the clutch safety switch, but I am not completely convinced. Is there anything else I can do to test and make sure it isn't the gear selector switch or possibly an issue with the sidestand switch as it connects to the run circuit? Unfortunately this is an intermittent issue which has made it tough to nail down...
biblefreak is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2015, 06:12 AM   #2
DEFY
ᗧ•••ᗣ•ᗣᗣ•••ᗣ

Name: Nick

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R and 2014 Triumph 675R

Switches wear out over time, you can do a continuity test on the switches and pull them like 100 times and see if you get any failed tests.

Spoiler for topic:
It might just be the [you] tag
DEFY is offline   Reply With Quote

Old June 5th, 2015, 06:14 AM   #3
biblefreak
ninjette.org member

Name: Justin

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250r

Quote:
Originally Posted by DEFY View Post
Switches wear out over time, you can do a continuity test on the switches and pull them like 100 times and see if you get and failed tests.
Good idea, not sure why I didn't think of that! Time to bust out the Fluke...
biblefreak is offline   Reply With Quote