ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > Off-Topic

Old November 15th, 2010, 07:26 AM   #1
setasai
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Brian

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R Green

Anybody have experience with TechShop?

I gotta say that owning a motorcycle is an expensive hobby. Not only do I enjoy riding but I find myself coming up with a new DIY accessory every week but have no way of easily and professionally bring it to reality.

So how many of you are like me and want a metal milling machine with CNC to generate parts? For example, GPS mounts, Dash mounts, tank mounts for video cameras, and mirror extenders are just a few that I"m mauling over. With a mill and some experience, I cant imagine it being that difficult to fabricate.

With that in mind, I found this in the bay area.
http://www.techshop.ws/

Anybody have experience with them? i'm seriously thinking of joining for a month and making a bunch of random things. For $125 for a month, I'm sure i could make a GPS mount and several mirror extenders which would bring me to about even but on the plus side, would leave me with a crapload more knowledge.
setasai is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2010, 09:14 AM   #2
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Name: Tri

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250R, 2005 R6

I used to be a member there a few years back when I was doing some heavy powdercoating, TIG welding, and light machining. The bridgeports they have are great, but their endmills are heavily overused. They even suggest bringing your own.

Over all- it's a great place. Friendly staff that will help you with what you need, but you can't use anything without having taking the required safety course first. That limits you pretty badly if you want to use some of their equipment for only a few pieces. Some of the staff will do it for you if it's fast enough. IE, using a band saw to cut a piece of steel. They'll likely ask you to take the class if you ask them to laser etch something tho. hah.

The classes are well worth the money and being able to machine your own parts is cool, but when you think about the costs involved in the materials and what you might be able to sell it for + time + membership fees, it may not be worth it.

For example, the mirror extenders, you would want to take a class on the lathe, milling machine, and maybe powdercoat if you want to make it a long lasting finish. Prepare to spend at least an hour on the powdercoat, another 45 minutes on the machining, and maybe 20 on the lathe. I dunno. To me, I'd rather just buy it.

Then again, it all depends on how much your time is worth to you. I am a severely busy person, one of the reasons I'm not at the techshop any more. If you have a lot of time on your hands and some initial cash to spend on membership and classes, go for it. Learning is always important.
CThunder-blue is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 15th, 2010, 09:25 AM   #3
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
I just ride. Forget about all that fancy stuff. Today's stock bikes are good enough I don't need to do anything to them (unless they have an ugly exhaust). All the time you spend on building, changing, accessorizing, and customizing is time you could be riding. I go through enough time changing oil and changing tires, other than that I just ride.

Old November 15th, 2010, 09:37 AM   #4
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by CC Cowboy View Post
I just ride. Forget about all that fancy stuff. Today's stock bikes are good enough I don't need to do anything to them (unless they have an ugly exhaust). All the time you spend on building, changing, accessorizing, and customizing is time you could be riding. I go through enough time changing oil and changing tires, other than that I just ride.
While that may suit you, not everyone is the same way. Some people like doing unique/ custom things to their bikes.

Old November 15th, 2010, 09:39 AM   #5
setasai

True, I feel the same way. Except now that it's winter, I have rainy days to fill in and being a student leaves me with time to sit there and stare at it. I guess I also like to tinker with things all the time.

As for time and money. Yes it would be costly in the beginning but like you said the knowledge you gain is important. Every so often they have a membership special. Right now they have a special for $50 that includes a months membership and 2 classes. I'm fairly tempted in trying it out just for kicks and if i come out with neat new toys... why not? Thanks for the input on your experience, sounds like a cool place overall.

Old November 15th, 2010, 11:14 AM   #6
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

My husband and I are both "lifetime members" of TechShop as we donated to them when they first opened. We've taken most of the basic classes and a couple of the more advanced ones.

Personally, I love TechShop for small projects -- I do a lot of vinyl stickers (great for group rides or rallies!) and we do laser etched glassware for christmas presents, etc.

We did try to make handlebar risers on the CNC machine but gave up essentially due to a lack of time and patience. Like CThunder said, it became a matter of time vs money...I finally decided to spend the money and buy the risers.

THAT SAID...if you enjoy tinkering and creating things like that, TechShop is really awesome. I'm really glad to be a member and even if you never wind up creating your own motorcycle parts, it's pretty neat to take classes in things like welding and plasma cutting.

Old November 15th, 2010, 12:07 PM   #7
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

Quote:
Originally Posted by setasai View Post
True, I feel the same way. Except now that it's winter, I have rainy days to fill in and being a student leaves me with time to sit there and stare at it. I guess I also like to tinker with things all the time.

As for time and money. Yes it would be costly in the beginning but like you said the knowledge you gain is important. Every so often they have a membership special. Right now they have a special for $50 that includes a months membership and 2 classes. I'm fairly tempted in trying it out just for kicks and if i come out with neat new toys... why not? Thanks for the input on your experience, sounds like a cool place overall.
$50 for a month's membership and 2 classes is a ridiculous steal. I think I still have a class credit that I haven't used, but it's been over a year now. I wonder if it's still valid. That's a great price and well worth the money. I would suggest the milling and lathe classes. Those two classes should really help you make MC parts.

Old November 15th, 2010, 07:23 PM   #8
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
$50 for a month's membership and 2 classes is a ridiculous steal. I think I still have a class credit that I haven't used, but it's been over a year now. I wonder if it's still valid. That's a great price and well worth the money. I would suggest the milling and lathe classes. Those two classes should really help you make MC parts.
Thanks for the suggestions. I was thinking the same thing with the milling and lathe classes. Although I also really want to take the welding class too but they're all the same price. Hmmm decisions decisions.

Old November 16th, 2010, 09:13 AM   #9
CThunder-blue
ModMy250.com

you should call and ask them some questions. I read thru on the deal and they're only offering 2 classes off their short list of 10 "Select Class List"

* CNC101: Concepts of CNC - Level 1
* CNC102: CNC Vinyl Cutter SBU - Level 2
* EEE100: Soldering and Basic Electronics SBU
* LAS101: Laser Cutting and Etching SBU
* MTL102: Metal Shop SBU
* TXL101: Basic Sewing Machine SBU
* TXL103: CNC Embroiderer SBU
* WLD102: MIG Welding SBU
* WOD101: WoodWorking SBU
* WOD102: Hand Tools Basics

Out of those, I'd go with the MIG and the Laser Cutting and Etching. The metal shop sbu is stuff like using an english wheel (metal forming).

Old November 16th, 2010, 08:48 PM   #10
setasai

Quote:
Originally Posted by CThunder-blue View Post
you should call and ask them some questions. I read thru on the deal and they're only offering 2 classes off their short list of 10 "Select Class List"

* CNC101: Concepts of CNC - Level 1
* CNC102: CNC Vinyl Cutter SBU - Level 2
* EEE100: Soldering and Basic Electronics SBU
* LAS101: Laser Cutting and Etching SBU
* MTL102: Metal Shop SBU
* TXL101: Basic Sewing Machine SBU
* TXL103: CNC Embroiderer SBU
* WLD102: MIG Welding SBU
* WOD101: WoodWorking SBU
* WOD102: Hand Tools Basics

Out of those, I'd go with the MIG and the Laser Cutting and Etching. The metal shop sbu is stuff like using an english wheel (metal forming).
Good catch. I havent actually looked at the special that closely.