ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old January 30th, 2011, 03:32 PM   #1
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): 07 Ninja EX250, 07 FZ6

Emergency tool set?

What tools do you keep on your bike for emergencies???I'm looking for an all in one tool set to keep on the bike...Any ideas???
Thanks...
Yasko is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2011, 07:36 PM   #2
Flashmonkey
Professional belly dancer

Name: James

Motorcycle(s): 1992 GSX-R 750

I keep a Cruztools Outback M14 on hand:

It has most of what you would need. Although, the tool kit that the Ninja comes with is pretty awesome too. The only reason I bought this is because whatever tool kit originally came with my bike is loooooonnnngggg gone.
Flashmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2011, 08:01 PM   #3
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

The OEM tool kit actually is pretty dang good. I added a micro hex ratchet (works with screwdriver bits and has an adapter for 1/4" sockets), and a good real 1/4" ratchet (which is kindof reduntant, but I figured why not). I also added a screwdriver with hex bits (shares with the micro ratchet), a 19mm wrench, and then small things like a tire gauge, 6" socket extension, and a telescoping magnet. With those tools added to the stock kit, I've removed and modifed the carbs, taken off all the fairings, removed the rear wheel, replaced the exhaust system several times, and raised and lowered the rear suspension.

If I can't do basic roadside repairs with this, then it ain't something that can be repaired on the roadside :P .

Old January 30th, 2011, 08:21 PM   #4
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Thanks...Just looking to upgrade from the stock set...I just picked up a set from Home Depot...
http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...atalogId=10053

How common is a flat tire on the road???The tires look to be real solid...

Old January 30th, 2011, 08:36 PM   #5
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yasko View Post
How common is a flat tire on the road???The tires look to be real solid...
Depends really. I've had a screw puncture my tire, but it was a slow leak and I didn't notice it until a few days after. I think it comes down to dumb luck, really. For the most part, I think you're better off calling a tow truck, because the amount of crap you'd need to carry to fix a flat would be more than your trunk can handle, I'd say.

If you're going on a road trip then carry a kit or something. But just for everyday use....well....keep your AAA/CAA card handy haha.

Old January 30th, 2011, 08:42 PM   #6
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

I have one of those kits in my trunk, kindof wedged into one of the rear fairings, that includes the little CO2 cartridges to re-inflate a tire after fixing a puncture with the basic tire repair kit. I commute daily on the bike, and do have AAA. But the convenience of potentially being able to just repair the puncture and go home to have the tire replaced the next day, rather than sitting out in the dark and cold after work waiting for a truck to come, is enticing enough to at least keep the kit with the bike.

Old January 30th, 2011, 09:19 PM   #7
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
I have one of those kits in my trunk, kindof wedged into one of the rear fairings, that includes the little CO2 cartridges to re-inflate a tire after fixing a puncture with the basic tire repair kit. I commute daily on the bike, and do have AAA. But the convenience of potentially being able to just repair the puncture and go home to have the tire replaced the next day, rather than sitting out in the dark and cold after work waiting for a truck to come, is enticing enough to at least keep the kit with the bike.
How many times have you had to use the kit???

Old January 30th, 2011, 09:23 PM   #8
kkim

cell phone.
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 30th, 2011, 11:49 PM   #9
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flashmonkey View Post
the amount of crap you'd need to carry to fix a flat would be more than your trunk can handle, I'd say.
Nah, tubeless tires are a piece of cake!

http://www.stopngo.com/motorcycle.asp

I don't carry this all the time, but for long trips, I have the "Motorcycle and ATV" kit partway down that page.

I've used it twice; once on my old SV650S and once on a friend's ST1300. The friend's bike was easier because he had the foresight to get his flat right at a farmhouse -- the owner let us borrow his air compressor to reinflate the tire.

To the general point, I've always used the toolkit that comes with the bike, plus a decent Leatherman and a small flashlight. A roll of Rescue Tape is my other must-have. That stuff is awesome and has saved my bacon more times that I care to admit.

Old January 31st, 2011, 07:50 AM   #10
Flashmonkey

LOL yea you could carry the plug kit but you'd still need to fill the tire with air. I know of kits that have little CO2 bottles that you can use to fill the tire with...but from what I've heard, you need a crap load of those little bottles hahaha.

Unless you blow out the tire completely (in which case a plug kit wouldn't do anything), I'd rather just keep a bunch of quarters handy and keep refilling the tire with air at gas stations until I get home. Assuming of course your daily commute is within the city, where gas stations are abundant. If, for some reason, you have a 30 mile commute to the boonies, then I'd suggest keeping a kit and a pump handy at all times. Perhaps in a tank bag or something haha.

Old January 31st, 2011, 09:12 AM   #11
bluepoof
ninjette.org sage

Name: Carolyn

Motorcycle(s): 2007 Ninja 250, 2002 Yamaha XT225

Quote:
LOL yea you could carry the plug kit but you'd still need to fill the tire with air. I know of kits that have little CO2 bottles that you can use to fill the tire with...but from what I've heard, you need a crap load of those little bottles hahaha.
That's true! I always figured that I just needed enough air to limp to a gas station, not to ride home.

I did make and carry this to Alaska for exactly that reason, but never had to use it:

http://www.bluepoof.com/motorcycles/...ir_compressor/

Old January 31st, 2011, 09:32 AM   #12
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Quote:
then I'd suggest keeping a kit and a pump handy at all times. Perhaps in a tank bag or something haha.
walmart sell a really little compressor for $10 that fit like a glove inside the rear seat cowl. You just have to have a 12v plug installed.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old January 31st, 2011, 09:35 AM   #13
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Oh I forgot to add I also keep a mini bike pump in my tool bag as well . It obviously isn't super quick, but I use it to keep my tires topped off. Takes probably 30-40 pumps to get from like ~25 to 30 psi. But even the little CO2 things could make the difference of sitting there stranded and getting the tire to 15psi so you could ride home.

And I always have a leatherman on me.

Old January 31st, 2011, 10:02 AM   #14
Flashmonkey

Ya i figure a manual pump would be the best. It would take longer but it would probably be the most useful in dire situations. If you have a small compressor you'd need a 12v outlet hooked up....and the bike would have to be running in order for you to use it. While not a huge deal, having to work next to an exhaust that's spitting out fumes blows

Old January 31st, 2011, 06:16 PM   #15
Sailariel

Name: Alex

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Honda NT-700-V, formerly, Green 2008 Ninja 250R

I carry the Stop n Go repair kit along with a 12V compressor. It plugs into the same receptacle as the Battery Tender. I never used it on my bike--but I did use it on a big H-D I saw on the side of the road with a flat tyre and a dead cell phone, I think he sees sport bikes in a different light.

The interesting thing that I found out is that my new Honda NT-700V has no tool kit. I had to put one together--hardest thing to find was a spark plug wrench with a very thin wall.

Old January 31st, 2011, 08:46 PM   #16
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Thanks everyone for your feedback...

I love this forum...You guys are great...

Old February 9th, 2011, 05:47 PM   #17
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Anyone try this compressor?

http://www.slime.com/product/111/Pow...340001%29.html
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Slime Power Sport Tire Inflator.jpg (48.3 KB, 166 views)

Old February 9th, 2011, 08:06 PM   #18
Flashmonkey

Quote:
Anyone try this compressor?
OooOo....I like that it has multiple power connector options. Wanna take one for the team and let us know how good it is?

Old February 9th, 2011, 11:38 PM   #19
KELPHYN
ninjette.org guru

Name: Calvin

Motorcycle(s): '08 250R (sold), 2013 300SE

this is what I have and yes it does fit. Tight, but fits.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg P1010941.jpg (99.1 KB, 10 views)
File Type: jpg P1010942.jpg (111.0 KB, 7 views)
KELPHYN is offline   Reply With Quote

Old February 10th, 2011, 07:19 AM   #20
wvninja
ninjette.org sage

Name: Nate

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Honda CBR600RR

my cbr's "tool kit" was litterally one allan key and a piece of wire with rubber around it to hold a second helmet off the back seat... LOL

I also have 0 room under the seats (damn you undertail exhaust).. Cell phone works though lol

Old February 10th, 2011, 09:52 AM   #21
silver_bullet
ninjette.org member

Name: Seth

Motorcycle(s): 2003 YZF600R, 2009 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

I have Slime pump, tire plugs, factory tool kit, an extra relay and a few spare fuses...BUT the YZF600R has a Cadillar trunk

Old February 10th, 2011, 10:14 AM   #22
Yasko
Texas Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by silver_bullet View Post
I have Slime pump, tire plugs, factory tool kit, an extra relay and a few spare fuses...BUT the YZF600R has a Cadillar trunk

The Slime pump must be handy, or you wouldn't be lugging it around???How much time does it take to air a flat tire with the Slime pump???

Last futzed with by Yasko; February 10th, 2011 at 10:50 PM.

Old February 10th, 2011, 12:34 PM   #23
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
How many times have you had to use the kit???
And sorry, I've never had to use the kit. In fact, I think Ive only ever had one flat in my life on a personal vehicle I was driving, heh.

Old February 28th, 2011, 08:28 AM   #24
Yasko
Texas Newbie

My tool pack...This is what I carry under my seat...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Picture 107.jpg (106.5 KB, 8 views)

Old March 1st, 2011, 06:26 PM   #25
nexus
ninjee two-fiddie

Name: Chance

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250r

I'm satisfied with the factory tool kit as well. It's fairly extensive. I've added a pencil tire gauge to it and it has served me well.
nexus is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2011, 03:54 PM   #26
Yasko
Texas Newbie

$5 tools from Cycle Gear...

http://www.cyclegear.com/spgm.cfm?L1...em=PRC_L35-766
Attached Images
File Type: jpg mini-ratchet_kit_MD.jpg (8.9 KB, 82 views)

Old March 18th, 2011, 04:29 PM   #27
Fly'in Ninja
ninjette.org guru

Name: Al

Motorcycle(s): C-250R-ST

Kawi factory tool kit, small flashlight light, duck tape, spare: clutch lever, frt brake lever and shift lever...
Fly'in Ninja is offline   Reply With Quote

Old March 18th, 2011, 05:23 PM   #28
CC Cowboy

Name: Whodat

Motorcycle(s): I pass the wind!

MOTM - Mar '13, Jun '14
Motrin

Old March 19th, 2011, 10:13 PM   #29
CZroe
CPT Falcon

Name: J.Emmett Turner

Motorcycle(s): '08 CP Blue EX250J, '97 unpainted EX250F, 2nd '97 unpainted EX250F (no engine), '07 black EX250F

Quote:
I keep a Cruztools Outback M14 on hand:

*snip*

It has most of what you would need. Although, the tool kit that the Ninja comes with is pretty awesome too. The only reason I bought this is because whatever tool kit originally came with my bike is loooooonnnngggg gone.
Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
The OEM tool kit actually is pretty dang good. I added a micro hex ratchet (works with screwdriver bits and has an adapter for 1/4" sockets), and a good real 1/4" ratchet (which is kindof reduntant, but I figured why not)...
How can you guys say this with a straight face? You can't even take off the plastic side panels with the stock tool kit. I haven't even found a a single screw on the bike that the screwdrivers fit. It doesn't even give you anything for poping out a plastic pop rivet. No matter how bad other OEM tool kits are, it's pretty "FAIL" to include tools you can't even use. Even though the bike has JIS/phillips screws and NOT flathead screws, a flathead driver/shaft would have been more useful because at least you could use it on the pop rivets!
CZroe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2011, 12:45 PM   #30
SSR
ninjette.org guru

Name: Jonathan

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Ninja 250

Do you carry an emergency kit and if so, what?

So I was out crusing around my city last night, enjoying the weather a friend when my bike broke (the gear shifter bolt fell out of the hole! I screwed it back in but I could only shift into first and neutral!).

Fortunately my friend had a CAA (American equivalent: AAA) card and I was able to get a lift to the dealership.

While waiting for the taxi (which never showed up after me placing 3 calls to the dispatcher), I got to thinking a CAA card might be very handy to have; I'd never given it a second thought. And maybe an emergency kit. Naturally, it has to fit into the rear seat space (I've removed that plastic "tool kit holder").

So, do you guys carry an emergency kit? If so, what does it contain?

Old August 6th, 2011, 12:53 PM   #31
2011Ninja250R
ninjette.org guru

Name: Brad

Motorcycle(s): 2011 Ninja 250R SE (Green) Previous bikes R1, Daytona 675, GSXR600, Pre-Gen 250R

I don't carry anything but should. Usually just a cell phone in case I need to "phone a friend".

Old August 6th, 2011, 01:01 PM   #32
DarC
DUCEATR

Name: Dan

Motorcycle(s): RVT1000R

I carry a BAM card, spare bolts, the "toolkit", zip ties, safety wire, SOG tool, small tube of blue locktite, and electrical tape.

All of this fits nicely in the tail. If I have a problem with something minor I have the option of attempting repair. The spare bolts came in handy when on a long ride my left rearset lost a bolt. I had a spare and rolled out.

BAM: http://www.russbrown.com/what-is-bam.html

The BAM card is free and in a place like SE NM/ EP Texas there are a lot of bikers on the help list. I also carry contacts for my motorcycle mentorship program through the military and they can pull through in a pinch.
2001 SP1 RC51- #62 -Akrapovic Ti, PCIII, Colin Edward's first baby tooth, Honda Racing sticker, some Japanese doods best attempt at Engrish scribbled on my engine block, little touch of soul.
DarC is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 6th, 2011, 05:26 PM   #33
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

/merged with other similar thread

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote