ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R > 2008 - 2012 Ninja 250R Farkles

Old November 9th, 2010, 10:35 AM   #1
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Name: J

Motorcycle(s): 2008 250R

2 into 2 exhaust... traditional dual, or both on same side?

I am making a 2-2 exhaust for my bije, but i cant decide whether i want to put both cans on one side, or go for the "true dual" setup? On the one hand, I like that going true dual would be very unique on this bike, and I wouldnt have to worry about any clearance issues of running two 1.5" pipes in place of the factory single 1.38" pipe . On the other hand, however, the left side can would require custom mounting (into which I havent put much thought), and the can might possibly get in the way during chain maintenance.

I am leaning toward splitting the pipes to either side of the bike, but I wonder what you guys thought of it?
Posted via Mobile Device
JMcDonald is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2010, 10:41 AM   #2
want1sobad
Ninjette CPT

Name: Vince

Motorcycle(s): Black 08 250r

check out www.bikepics.com - you will see some pics of 250r's with dual cans. doesn't look good imo......good luck with the project regardless of what you decide to do.

want1sobad is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2010, 11:34 AM   #3
bob706
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

I would love to have dual exhausts. I think they would even the bike out. Let us know what you come up with.
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2010, 11:36 AM   #4
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Yeah I've seen a couple pics, which didn't really help sway me either way lol. I really like just about every photoshop I've done and pic I've seen of two cans on one side (both on 250s and on Ducatis). One thing I am worried about is getting both sides symmetrical. With them together, it would be easy assembling the cans into a single unit and then mounting that unit however I want. Another concern I touched on earlier was not only fitment of a vertical 3" of pipe under the bike, but also the vertical fitment of two 4"-diameter mufflers on the right side. I have to keep them low enough to not interfere with passenger foot placement, but high enough to not have ground clearance issues. I actually forgot about that. I had just about worked it out with 3"-diameter mufflers, but I decided to go larger for a little more muffling, and that extra 2" of vertical space might definitely force me to split them up!

So, I am pretty sure I would like the look of both on one side if I can get them to fit. At the same time I know I'd be excited about the uniqueness of a true-dual setup if I can get them lined up :P .

Old November 9th, 2010, 05:52 PM   #5
Snake

Name: Rick

Motorcycle(s): 05 Blue Ninja 250

MOTY - 2017, MOTM - Jan '19, Oct '16, May '14
Have you thought about running both pipes under the tail? That would let you keep the chain clearance on the left and gain clearance on the right.
Snake is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2010, 06:18 PM   #6
JBedney
ninjette.org member

Name: John

Motorcycle(s): Ninja 250R

I vote for the Dual Exhaust !!!

I think that Leo Vince has a nice idea which could be adapted to the Ninja.

Have a look at this:

JBedney is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 9th, 2010, 07:08 PM   #7
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
Have you thought about running both pipes under the tail? That would let you keep the chain clearance on the left and gain clearance on the right.
Like, a standard dual, but mounting the pipes near the rear fenders? That would look cool I'd imagine, but I don't think the GF would like to ride with her legs on top of those :P .

There is space to route the left-side exhaust system in basically a mirror image of how the right side is done--actually way more than running both on the right and then crossing over near the swingarm pivot. But I was mostly referring to the left-side can being in the way of lubing the chain. Of course, it could be worked around (like a lot of time I have my GF walk the bike forward while I spray basically on the sprocket anyways), so that isn't a huge deal.

That pic definitely makes me want to go with split duals, though!

Old November 9th, 2010, 07:42 PM   #8
Snake

More like this.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GFfSi...eature=related

Old November 9th, 2010, 08:02 PM   #9
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Ooh so like a true "undertail!" That would be cool, but we lower the bike a good 2" when my GF rides it, so there is no way anything like this would work under there . It would also be way more difficult, haha.

Old November 9th, 2010, 11:01 PM   #10
ithaca00
ninjette.org guru

Name: Ryan

Motorcycle(s): 2007 EX250 (street), 1994 EX250 (Race), 2008 250R (Race), 2000 250 (project), 1991 EL250 (a cruiser!)

Do it HRC style with one can under the tail and one on the right!!!
ithaca00 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 10th, 2010, 07:41 AM   #11
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Hahaha gheengstaaaa!

And btw this is what I meant as far as both cans on the right side. Though, I am not sure if I would have staggered them or not.

Old November 10th, 2010, 05:50 PM   #12
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

I already have all the materials for it. Plus, how big are the stock pregen pipes?
Posted via Mobile Device

Old November 10th, 2010, 09:48 PM   #13
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Name: 1 guess :-)

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Quote:
Originally Posted by kawboyCAFE View Post
you could always use a 2-into-2 header from an early ninja 250. it will fit.
IIRC, Kerry Bryant of AreaP was asked this awhile back, and said that the headers were in fact quite different and would not work on both gens? My memory of it is a little hazy though; I'll see if I can find a link.

ninjette.org Terms of Service

Shopping for motorcycle parts or equipment? Come here first.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)
Alex is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2010, 01:58 AM   #14
kkim

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alex View Post
IIRC, Kerry Bryant of AreaP was asked this awhile back, and said that the headers were in fact quite different and would not work on both gens? My memory of it is a little hazy though; I'll see if I can find a link.
this?
http://www.ninjette.org/forums/showp...8&postcount=54
kkim is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 11th, 2010, 06:31 AM   #15
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Motorcycle(s): '13 Ninja 300 (white, the fastest color!), '13 R1200RT, '14 CRF250L, '12 TT-R125LE

Maybe, I thought there was something that more clearly stated that it wouldn't fit (not just that it wouldn't be optimal), but hey, there have been alot of posts here.

EDIT: Here's what I was thinking of.

The friendliest Ninja 250R/300/400 forum on the internet! (especially Unregistered)

Old November 11th, 2010, 05:51 PM   #16
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

I think I might try to just make a whole new set of rear pegs. That way I can add hangers without boogering up the stock peg mounts.
Posted via Mobile Device

Old November 20th, 2010, 06:13 PM   #17
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Decided to go two on one side. Got the mufflers made (added custom cores to some old bullet mufflers I had), and made just a little bit of progress on the actual piping. I started with the true dual setup but decided to go with the doubled-up mounting, largely for the simplicity (time is limited and I felt like I was never going to get done, heh).

When I finish I will post all the pics and info in a new thread.

Old November 29th, 2010, 08:31 PM   #18
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Here is a quick pic. But I have been waiting until I finish the setup (including tuning) before I report full details. You can see the tips of the cores inside the mufflers from that angle. I have since cut them out in experimenting. It is not any louder, and performance didn't change any, but the tone is a little more raspy than with the cores in. Though, it does look a little "tougher" with the two deep, hollow strait-through cores exposed .

I think the more common 500*F paints are available in richer colors, so I might try to find a darker black. Surprisingly, even after pretty spirited riding, the mufflers are cool enough that I can grab them with my bare hand for several seconds, so I am not worried about colorfastness. The stock muffler would be too hot to touch at all after maybe 5 minutes of riding. I keep forgeting to grab my infrared thermometer so I can get some hard numbers, though.

Oh and yes it is loud. At first I kinda hated it and thought it was obnoxious, but from various feedbacks I've got that while it is loud, it's not a big deal compared to some of the Harleys and such that cruise around here. It is still louder than I would want, though, and in the future I might consider replacing the mufflers with some nicer magnaflows or something like that if I keep this setup. But, most people seem to think it sounds pretty cool. In reality, the main reason I don't like its loudness is because it's still a 250 and it makes me feel a little Ricerish :P . If it was coming from a 150-Horse Ducati V-Twin that would be one thing, but I feel the volume is a little too much "show" for the amount of "go" I've got, heh.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250r_doubleexhaust_rear_34.jpg (100.5 KB, 66 views)

Last futzed with by JMcDonald; November 29th, 2010 at 09:33 PM.

Old November 29th, 2010, 08:44 PM   #19
bob706

Name: Sean

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250 1998 HD Road King

Looks really nice
bob706 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 30th, 2010, 07:19 PM   #20
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Thanks . Sometimes I like the "look at me and my badass bike" factor of it's note, and I love looking at it and knowing I made it myself and there is nothing like it around here, but sometimes I feel like it's a bit much for me. I might play with some internal baffling to see if I can't mellow it out a bit.

Old December 1st, 2010, 05:48 AM   #21
Snake

Looks great J.

Old December 1st, 2010, 09:56 AM   #22
JBedney
ninjette.org member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMcDonald View Post
Thanks . Sometimes I like the "look at me and my badass bike" factor of it's note, and I love looking at it and knowing I made it myself and there is nothing like it around here, but sometimes I feel like it's a bit much for me. I might play with some internal baffling to see if I can't mellow it out a bit.
Two identical mufflers installed in parallel are the equivalent to install one of those mufflers with half the length. (Like connecting resistors of the same value in parallel: 1/R = 1/r1 + 1/r1, then R = 0.5 r1)

You get more flow and less sound absorption, that's why the noise level is high.

Using mufflers with an smaller core diameter (25 mm) would be a solution, and to keep the "power look" you can use a 25 to 50mm transition pipe as an end cap.

Old December 1st, 2010, 11:24 AM   #23
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

Yeah that's why I had originally added the cores, to keep velocity / turbulance / pressure high to help reduce sound. I never thought about it being so mathematically relative, though! But yeah, I have been thinking about making another set of mufflers with smaller cores (probably 1" or so ID, like you mentioned), or adding some cores to these. I only say this because mufflers with IDs that small are hard to find, and motorcycle-specific mufflers are so expensive I might as well just buy a professionally-made exhaust, heh. I think put about $80 into this project so far, most of which was the mandrel bends.

Here is another pic. You can see the lower pipe comes below the fairing at the rear in order to fit both pipes underneath the swingarm pivot. There are no fitment issues with the fairing, but the heat pad that originally went under the cat just grazes the lower pipe.

And I will say if I could do it all over again I would have gone with all 1.25" OD piping, or maybe 1.375", rather than 1.5". This is largely for fitment, both under the bike and around the head flanges. But I have some ideas for cores to get the mellow out the sound a bit.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 250r_doubleexhaust_side_low.jpg (95.5 KB, 52 views)

Last futzed with by JMcDonald; December 1st, 2010 at 12:31 PM.

Old December 1st, 2010, 02:07 PM   #24
JBedney
ninjette.org member

How about a Turbulator inside the perforated tube?

The Turbulator is a baffle formed by a twisted metal bar used to slow down the hot air flow inside a gas water heater flue. I have not tried this idea yet but I am sure that this kind of baffle might be effective in a motorcycle muffler too.

Old December 2nd, 2010, 06:02 PM   #25
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

I put the stock exhaust back on for now. Not enough time to troubleshoot both the jetting AND the exhaust. Another big reason was in living in an apartment, I always felt like I was bothering the neighbors when I'd leave in the morning, and this morning I saw a neighbor of mine look out her window when I had started my bike (and I wasn't even choking it, letting it lazily idle around 1k RPM).

Old December 8th, 2010, 09:32 AM   #26
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

I'm not gonna lie, I am starting to miss the rumble a little bit more every day :P .

Maybe over the break I might make a V2, with smaller diameter tubing and perhaps different / better mufflers.

Old December 11th, 2010, 08:26 PM   #27
jmgrande
YEAH! Custom name tag.

Name: Jon

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R SE- SOLD to maverick9611

Quote:
Originally Posted by bob706 View Post
I would love to have dual exhausts. I think they would even the bike out. Let us know what you come up with.
Agreed! I want dual exhaust, but how can it be done?
jmgrande is offline   Reply With Quote

Old December 13th, 2010, 07:39 AM   #28
JMcDonald
ninjette.org sage

There is room on the left side of the bike to route a second pipe for sure. I ended up skipping true duals because I didn't want to have to mess with finding a mounting solution at the peg.

Old August 16th, 2011, 12:13 PM   #29
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kurgan

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

I hate to necrobump this, but I couldn't find any other topic on true 2 into 2, or shotgun exhausts.
This setup is close to what I want to do with my bike, but I want to use smaller diameter carbon cans to emulate the old school 2 stroke exhausts like the Suzuki RGV 250 used to have.

http://www.motorrad-news.com/wp-cont...ki-RGV-250.jpg

Like that, but 2 into 2, on an '09 Ninja 250, but not mounted so high, stock location is fine. There's something similar on youtube, but it's a custom made 2 into 1 into 2 system, that looks like the pipe gets heavily restricted in diameter just before it hits the cans. Wouldn't that produce a huge amount of backpressure and be detrimental to power?

Link to original page on YouTube.

It sounds great though.

Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2011, 12:21 PM   #30
Alex
ninjette.org dude

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurgan View Post
necrobump

Old August 16th, 2011, 04:21 PM   #31
Kurgan
ninjette.org guru

Name: Kurgan

Motorcycle(s): '09 Ninja 250R

Now that I think about that term in THAT way it is funny.

It's just that some forums go apenuts when someone replies to a topic that hasn't been touched for more than a few weeks.
Kurgan is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 16th, 2011, 07:10 PM   #32
caps
Sexy Beast

Name: Mat

Motorcycle(s): 2010 Ninja 250R, 2006 ZX-14, 2012 Ducati Monster

Quote:
Originally Posted by Snake View Post
I want this SO bad! but with Dan Moto's and no chrome...
caps is offline   Reply With Quote

Old August 17th, 2011, 02:41 PM   #33
greatwhiteninja
Ridin Dirty

Name: Ed

Motorcycle(s): 2011 white se 250r , 2008 zx6R

dual exhaust would be nice, i still may go with the totsubo setup over the winter.
greatwhiteninja is offline   Reply With Quote