ninjette.org

Go Back   ninjette.org > General > General Motorcycling Discussion

Old November 7th, 2011, 11:32 AM   #1
evi1joe
ninjette.org member

Name: jOE

Motorcycle(s): none yet (getting a 250R)

'09 with 4K ($2900) or '11 with 1K ($3300)?

Long time lurker, just registered now that zero hour is upon me.
Which to buy?

All of my research shows that the 2009 250R is worth about $2600 to $2700 (I'm estimating values from mcnews.com--$2650ish; halfway between trade-in and retail from kbb--$2600). However, they want $2900....haggled down from $3200 (I offered $2800, which I thought was very fair).

Mileage for the displacement should be 3790, but they're over 4000 so that's not much. If it's never been dropped ("great condition") and has had all the break-in ("well maintained"), is $2900 a fair price? I don't want to low-ball anyone, I just want to know that I'm making a square deal. They did the fender elimination, which is something I would have done and is worth something to me; they also have the rear "cowl" (?-the thing that covers/replaces the rear seat-?) that is a nice bonus even though I don't know if I would have gotten one.

Conversely, there's a 2011 with 1K miles at a dealer for $2999 (of course, the dealer will charge tax and have hidden fees), bringing it to $3300 out the door, which is a bit high for me to afford, but I could swing it.

Should I go with the 2009 (4K) at $2900 OR the 2011 (1K) at $3300?

Links:
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcd/2620517617.html
http://jacksonville.craigslist.org/mcd/2659550678.html

*** ALSO, since I really don't like the look of the standard exhaust, I'd LOVE to replace it with something that looks better (AND gives minor HP gains, WITHOUT having to re-jet it). Would the Danmoto Carbon Fiber be a good slip-on? I also looked at that PLMG exhaust system (for $150), but I fear it would mean mods to the bike. Any recommendations for a slip-on or affordable system (under $250) that WOULDN'T require any mods (except, I could probably figure out how to pull the snorkel out!).
evi1joe is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2011, 11:48 AM   #2
Jojah17
ninjette.org member

Name: Ben

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Honja

The 2009 sounds like a good deal. Though the 11 may come with a warranty from the dealer.
4k miles is nothing. If its been treated well and has documented maintenance then its worth the price in my opinion. If you wait a bit longer you may be able to get one for cheaper with the riding season coming to a close (though you are in FL).

Though the 11 may come with a warranty from the dealer.

I have the dan-moto can and I like it. It is loud as hell though so be prepared. A full exhaust is worth the trouble (re-jetting is easy) in my opinion.
Jojah17 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2011, 11:59 AM   #3
Lil_Green_Demon
Winging It In Life

Name: Umar

Motorcycle(s): 2010 250R; 2011 250R (sold)

Tough decision. I'd go with the 2011 based on looks. If you're paying entirely cash, though, go with the 2009. You'll feel better knowing you don't have to pay monthly for the bike.
Good luck making a decision on this.

Old November 7th, 2011, 12:30 PM   #4
Mountain Dew
Ambrosia.

Name: Jaymie

Motorcycle(s): 1974 Honda CB550K0 W.I.P.

112% go with the '11.

Old November 7th, 2011, 01:14 PM   #5
THE BIG SITT
ninjette.org sage

Name: Andy

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Kawasaki Ninja 250R

Yeah that '11 SE is smexy
THE BIG SITT is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2011, 01:20 PM   #6
CynicalC
ninjette.org certified postwhore

Name: Colin

Motorcycle(s): '96 EX250

'11 imo

Old November 7th, 2011, 01:41 PM   #7
gfloyd2002
User Title Free Since '12

Name: Floyd

Motorcycle(s): '10 Ninja 250R Special Edition Green

MOTM - Feb '12
The '11. Extra mileage is slightly in favor, two years in the elements slightly in favor, and to my mind there is value (worth a few hundred at least) of having the recourse of buying from a dealer. Lots of regulation of dealers, avenues for going after them is something goes wrong, plus a service department if it turns out something was wrong where they can make it right, plus the possibility of a warranty. Peace of mind of a newer, lower mileage, less time exposed bike from a more certain source is worth the extra $$ imho.

Also, don't fool yourself into thinking that you can get HP gains without a rejet by using a slipon. Assuming you get more flow of air with a slip on (which isn't necessarily true), you need to also increase the mix of fuel to keep your air/fuel mix right. And if you don't need to adjust your carburation --- that means you aren't increasing the flow of air and you aren't actually getting performance gains. Companies that claim slipons improve performance from increased airflow without changing fuel flow are 1) lying or 2) running you so lean you are going to do damage to your motor.

Take a look at Area P exhausts. Great company, great service, and they are quite well regarded here at ninjette.org. You'll get actual HP gains with a very well engineered product.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake
gfloyd2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2011, 01:45 PM   #8
evi1joe
ninjette.org member

Thanks, but DANG! All of those 2011 votes!!!!! You're killing me.

I got a $2500 loan, so I'm paying $75 a month (not sure what insurance I'll need--the basic plan was $70, the "choice" plan was $170, at Progressive...hopefully I won't need the super-duper $700 plan).

The rest is cash, so I'd MUCH rather pay $400 than $800, since the former would leave me some to buy a helmet (looking at the GMAX G68S for $99 and the HJC CL-SP on clearance for $69--I need A LOT of ventilation in FL) and other stuff (exhaust, etc.).

Ugh.
The 2011 will REALLY stretch me thin money-wise, but the resale on both will only have me lose $200-$300 in 2 years (with 2K added--it's an errand runner, not a commuter). I'm planning on getting a used 650R next after a year or two...I just want to start small, since I haven't ridden in 20 years (rode a Suzuki DS185 from 14 to 19...lot's of dirt and power-line riding in GA, but NOTHING since then) and street riding always seemed like a bad bet with Darwin to me.

But it's in my blood and I can't deny it any longer, so I scammed my wife into a deal where I have to lose weight each month (10lbsx2, 9lbsx2, 8lbsx2 and 7lbsx2)--a total of about 70lbs in 8 months...bringing me to 180-185 (at 5'10"). The first month I don't lose, I lose the bike--so I have a LOT of incentive. ;o)

Old November 7th, 2011, 01:55 PM   #9
evi1joe
ninjette.org member

@GFloyd:

All your points are valid...the more I think about it though, I just don't know if I can afford the extra $400 cash without being stretched to thin. And the people selling the 2009 seem like good folks (he's 42, and has evidently taken really good care of it); they use my bank, and I think if there was a problem, they'd work with me. Plus they've already done the fender-eliminator mod (saves me money) and it does have that nice looking seat-cover/replacement. A lot of people talk about how you should buy gear early since crashes generally happen in the first 5-months (though, again, I'll be running errands on this thing around the neighborhood, not commuting).

ALSO: AREA P is awesome, but $500-$600 is about $300-$400 too much for me...maybe used though.

Old November 7th, 2011, 02:07 PM   #10
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

I would go with the 11 as well, the few extra $$ for a newer bike. Also I own 4 Gmax Helmets (GM68s crusaders) I LOVE! I think they were the webbikeworld 2008 helmet of the year.
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2011, 02:16 PM   #11
evi1joe
ninjette.org member

Yeah, I'm gonna go look for things to sell off my other toys. ;o)
I doubt I can get up the money to really justify it. I'd actually prefer a black one to any of these green bikes (though I suppose visibility is better with green).

I couldn't find the Crusader helmet in stock, but it's probably too flashy for an old (39) fat guy...I'm looking at the black or white ones. Though I'd think the matte-black one might bake my head like a potato in the FL sun. I think I might have an oblong (think Alien movies) head, so who knows if it'll fit right...but places online seem to have good return policies.

Old November 7th, 2011, 02:55 PM   #12
Bosgarage57
ninjette.org sage

Name: Luke

Motorcycle(s): 06 Buell Uly, 05 VStar 1100

Crusaders havent been in stock for about 2 years now, last one I bought (for my gf) had to come from Canada. All of the 68's are nice, they have the LED's in the back still right? I really like that feature.

If a black 250 is what you want, then I'd wait and get what you want. I use to like the green, but not as much any more (Personal preference), unless I could get a green one at a ridiculous, cannot pass up price.
Bosgarage57 is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2011, 03:12 PM   #13
evi1joe
ninjette.org member

I'm not real color picky. I just want something to make errands fun and jaunt around on. If I find it's a little too slow I'll do exhaust and rejet and pull the snorkel....though that might hurt resale if I can't convince them I didn't race it...if it's a lot too slow, I'll move to the 650r sooner rather than later (or not at all). I think it's gonna be great though. There are just more expenses than I realized....MSF course, gear, tag/title, etc.

Old November 7th, 2011, 03:14 PM   #14
Jono

Name: Jono

Motorcycle(s): 2009 Triumph Street Triple, 2009 KLX250SF, 2003 Suzuki SV650S (Sold), 2006 Ninja 250 (Sold)

Go with the 09. If you don't want to pay for the 2011 then don't. Get the 09. It is already nicely broken in and the seller is a nice person that you can trust then go for it. 4,000 miles is nothing. Insurance may be a little cheaper on the 09 as well because it is a little old. That's all I got.
Jono is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2011, 03:22 PM   #15
hybridkid
ninjette.org member

Name: KJ

Motorcycle(s): 2008 Ninja 250R (Sold - I'll miss you Ebony), 2009 Honda CBR 600RR ABS (Alexis), 2010 BMW S1000RR

Buying used and being economical makes sense in your situation. I don't see the reason to pay more for a newer bike from the dealer unless:

1) Warranties are valuable to you
2) You prefer to buy from the dealer
3) Color options

Otherwise, the bike is the same with the differences in color and exhaust. I would save the extra $ for good used gear!
hybridkid is offline   Reply With Quote

Old November 7th, 2011, 04:23 PM   #16
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
Quote:
Originally Posted by evi1joe View Post
I couldn't find the Crusader helmet in stock, but it's probably too flashy for an old (39) fat guy...I'm looking at the black or white ones. Though I'd think the matte-black one might bake my head like a potato in the FL sun. I think I might have an oblong (think Alien movies) head, so who knows if it'll fit right...but places online seem to have good return policies.
I'm full of advice today, I guess. When you think of helmet color, please consider this study of accident rates and gear color. In short, compared with wearing a black helmet, use of a white helmet was associated with a 24% lower risk of accident. Light coloured helmet versus dark coloured helmet was associated with a 19% lower risk of accident. Picking the right helmet color can save one accident out of every four. Seems like a cheap and easy way to be safer. I have one all white, and an obnoxious white and kawi green one with crazy tribal patterns. I think they can see that one from space.

Also, if it means being able to afford gear, I'll change my vote to the '09. All my reasons for preferring the '11 go out the window the second you start struggling to get gear. ATGATT.

"Improvement makes straight roads, but the crooked roads without improvement, are roads of genius." — William Blake

Old November 7th, 2011, 04:39 PM   #17
evi1joe
ninjette.org member

White it is. Probably a bit cooler too. Thanks....it's all been great advice.

Old November 8th, 2011, 04:00 AM   #18
gfloyd2002

MOTM - Feb '12
WebBike World has awesome information about different helmets, including good information about fitting your alien-like head. You can get reviews with helmet shape information for most of the helmets out there. Even so, worth heading to a local shop and trying some on. Good to support your local shops, and helmet fit is super important -- my dream helmet (I thought) turned out to hurt like hell when I actually wore it.

Okay, I'll shut up now.

Old November 8th, 2011, 05:53 AM   #19
EsrTek

Name: Eric

Motorcycle(s): '13 300

That's a good deal for the '11 .. mine has 3.5k miles and I wouldn't sell it for under 4k (probably cause I still love it and ride it).
As for the money for a helmet, wish I had the cash to buy the new one I want, I would give ya mine (and I could even bring it to ya, I am in fact in Jacksonville now (well Orange Park)). However you might find something in that donation thread
EsrTek is offline   Reply With Quote